Start by marking “If Mayors Ruled the World: Dysfunctional Nations, Rising Cities” as Want to Read:
If Mayors Ruled the World: Dysfunctional Nations, Rising Cities
Preview

If Mayors Ruled the World: Dysfunctional Nations, Rising Cities

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In the face of the most perilous challenges of our time—climate change, terrorism, poverty, and trafficking of drugs, guns, and people—the nations of the world seem paralyzed.The problems are too big, too interdependent,too divisive for the nation-state. Is the nation-state, once democracy's best hope, today democratically dysfunctional? Obsolete? The answer, says Benjamin ...more
Published November 5th 2013 by Yale University Press (first published October 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about If Mayors Ruled the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Mayors Ruled the World

Kressel Housman
Bah! First abandoned book of the year! I first heard of it on the Freakonmics Radio Podcast, and I was intrigued by the thesis: that mayors accomplish much more than heads of nations because they deal with the practical realities of day-to-day living. Reality forces them to put ideologies aside. The book follows the format of one chapter outlining the author's ideas and then a profile of a mayor. Parts of the first chapter was tough to get through because much of it was theoretical and academic, ...more
Russell Fox
If there is anything Benjamin Barber is, it is a booster: a booster of ideas, of concepts, particularly any idea or concept which he can present as new or revelatory or world-historical in some not-really-Hegelian-but-only-because-he-insists-its-the-dawn-not-twilight sort of way. I suppose that comes off as terribly backhanded compliment, and I'm not sure I want to apologize for that. Barber is, by any measure, a truly brilliant and expansive thinker, someone constantly making insightful connect ...more
Nichevo
Interesting ideas but, based on the situations in cities where Barber advocates currently run the show, (such as NYC), one sees the ideas having difficulty being translated into reality.
Julian Haigh
Rather wordy survey of the place of cities in development and the important place they may provide in overcoming the limits of Westphalian sovereignty. The profiles of 6 world-class mayors was a nice addition. Over and again, Barber emphasizes that the decentralized, and cooperative focus of city governance places it perfectly to overcome some of the world's most intractable problems like global warming. If you're interested it's worth a quick look over but the intellectual level seems more chal ...more
Kyle Bell
Barber has an odd fascination with Michael Bloomberg, yet sees cities as the key to democratic participation in the 21st century. The disconnect between the flourishing prose and his preferred leadership style / governing coalition of business elites -- which are wholly unresponsive to the general public -- makes the book untenable.
Blair
Great topic as cities are gaining power while the world urbanizes and nation states start to lose their relevance in an increasingly connected world. I liked the idea of a world congress of mayors and think this will happen....as the basics are in place now. That said I found Benjamin Barber difficult to read - the same problem with Jihad vs. McWorld.
Alex
An interesting discussion about bottom-up management of territories. A bit academic, with its written and argumentative structure, but well-informative of why cities may best manage citizens than statehoods or nations.
Kirsten
I'd actually like to give this book 2.5 stars but was feeling generous. This book is not very organized and repeats itself often. The most interesting part of the book is actually the mayor profiles he does for various cities.

It feels like he sort of half researched his topic and tried to finish it with a rally, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd only read this if you're really into politics, and even then feel free to skim.
Alex Csicsek
A confused discussion about the importance of cities in the era of globalisation concludes with a call for some sort of ill-defined UN-esque network of cities.

The only chapter I enjoyed reading was The Land of Lost Content: Virtue and Vice in the Life of the City, which explored perceptions and characterisations of the urban throughout human history.
Mallory St Claire
Mallory St Claire marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Matthew Wanamaker
Matthew Wanamaker marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
AJ Calhoun
AJ Calhoun marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Paula Breuning
Paula Breuning marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Jasper Snippe
Jasper Snippe is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Aaron Hake
Aaron Hake marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Matt
Matt added it
Mar 30, 2015
Syed Aunirbaan
Syed Aunirbaan marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Michael Veselik
Michael Veselik marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Dspolo
Dspolo marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Matt Mendell
Matt Mendell marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Masahi
Masahi marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Chris Carrel
Chris Carrel marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
  • The Metropolitan Revolution: How Cities and Metros are Fixing our Broken Politics and Fragile Economy
  • How to Study Public Life
  • The Myth of America's Decline: Politics, Economics, and a Half Century of False Prophecies
  • Foreign Policy Begins at Home: The Case for Putting America's House in Order
  • Paper Promises: Debt, Money, and the New World Order
  • Syria: The Fall of the House of Assad
  • The Self-made Billionaire Effect Deluxe: How Extreme Producers Create Massive Value
  • The High Cost of Free Parking
  • Human Transit: How Clearer Thinking about Public Transit Can Enrich Our Communities and Our Lives
  • Hands Off My Gun: Defeating the Plot to Disarm America
  • The Art of Negotiation: How to Improvise Agreement in a Chaotic World
  • Reinventing Government: How The Entrepreneurial Spirit Is Transforming The Public Sector
  • Open Government: Collaboration, Transparency, and Participation in Practice
  • Managers Not MBAs: A Hard Look at the Soft Practice of Managing and Management Development
  • What's the Future of Business: Changing the Way Businesses Create Experiences
  • Exodus: How Migration Is Changing Our World
  • The City in History: Its Origins, Its Transformations, and Its Prospects
  • Before the Lights Go Out: Conquering the Energy Crisis Before It Conquers Us
American political theorist perhaps best known for his 1996 bestseller, Jihad vs. McWorld.
More about Benjamin R. Barber...
Jihad vs. McWorld Consumed - How Markets Corrupt Children, Infantilize Adults & Swallow Citizens Whole Strong Democracy: Participatory Politics for a New Age, Twentieth-Anniversary Edition, With a New Preface Fear's Empire: War, Terrorism, and Democracy A Passion for Democracy: American Essays