Start by marking “I'll Take Care of You” as Want to Read:
I'll Take Care of You

I'll Take Care of You

Eric Naposki, her NFL linebacker lover, fulfilled Nanette's wilder cravings. Together they schemed to make h
Published January 7th 2014 by Pinnacle Books

To ask other readers questions about I'll Take Care of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Take Care of You

Marla
Aug 11, 2014 Marla rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book as a giveaway on Goodreads.

When I first saw the cover of this book and read the description, it didn't sink in that this was not fiction. Caitlin Rother did a great job of sucking me into the story immediately and keeping me hooked through the entire book. I know there are gold diggers out there who prey on wealthy men and women, but I was intrigued at just how far Nanette went to deceive the men. It's amazing how much money she stole and from everything I can tell that was prese
Jael
Jan 15, 2014 Jael rated it really liked it
Every time I watch an episode of Snapped or 48 Hours I am stunned at the overwhelming stupidity and lack of humanity displayed by people who think they can get away with murder. Nanette Johnston Packard and Eric Naposki are prime examples. Both of them are responsible for the murder of millionaire Bill McLaughlin. It took 15 years before either of them saw the inside of the courtroom. Fortunately both of them are where they belong -- in prison. Caitlin Rother details the case in her latest book ...more
Kathleen
Jan 10, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In her latest novel, I'll Take Care Of You, author Caitlin Rother takes the reader behind the scenes of a riveting true crime thriller for an in depth look at a highly publicized premeditated murder case set in Newport Beach, California.

On December 15, 1994, multi-millionaire entrepreneur Bill McLaughlin was fatally shot in his kitchen. His killer left behind several clues: a new key stuck in the front door and another on the doormat, and six 9-millimeter bullet casings littered the floor. Suspe
Gerry
Sep 11, 2014 Gerry rated it really liked it
When divorcee Nanette Johnston met millionaire Bill McLaughlin the latter thought it was his lucky day. He very quickly moved Nanette and her family into his bay-front home in Newport Beach. But, sadly, it was the beginning of a tragedy about to unfold.

Nanette could not be satisfied with one man and behind Bill's back she dated numerous men she met at the gym and through her sexy advertising. One of these was one-time NFL linebacker Eric Naposki and she fed him some nonsense about Bill, whose ho
LORI CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
Nanette Johnston Packard, a sexy divorcee, liked to meet men at the gym and through personal ads. Soon after she began dating millionaire Bill McLaughlin, he moved her and her kids into his bay-front home in Newport Beach. But one man was never enough for Nanette…Eric Naposki, her NFL linebacker lover, fulfilled Nanette’s wilder cravings. Together they schemed to make her fiance’s fortune their own. When McLaughlin was gunned down, authorities had suspicions – but no proof. Pulitzer-nominated ...more
Sharon Chance
Jan 16, 2014 Sharon Chance rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I've read a true crime novel, but in the past I was a big fan of Ann Rule and Patricia Springer's books in this genre. So when I was asked to review Caitlin Rother's latest book, "I'll Take Care Of You," I was intrigued to see how the coverage of sensational crimes had evolved over the years. I was not disappointed!

Rother takes her readers right into the heart of the cold-case investigation of the murder of California millionaire Bill McLaughlin and follows the story
Maureen Timerman
Jan 07, 2014 Maureen Timerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
An indepth look a premeditated murder. Caitlin Rother has brought this whole sordid affair into light, from the beginning to the end.
She explores how it took so very long to get justice for the deceased. We walk in each of the participants shoes, and some of them are not very nice.
We follow these individuals from way before the crime is committed to a long time later, waiting for the hands of justice to fall.
We find greed, but to a greater extent than most. We find sex used as a lure, and the ki
David Brubaker
Jun 08, 2013 David Brubaker rated it it was amazing
I sat through the Packard trial to observe the characters and the details of the crime. It should make for a compelling and fascinating book. I can hardly wait for it to come out.
Mary
Aug 30, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I saw the 48 Hours episode about this case, and recently signed up for the trial subscription to Amazon Unlimited. This book was among the titles listed. I was in the mood for some true crime and I especially love true crime involving the rich and beautiful. This book did not disappoint.

"I'll Take Care Of You" explores the senseless and tragic murder of Bill McLaughlin, a wealthy fifty-something entrepreneur who was living the good life in Newport Beach, an affluent enclave of Orange County, Cal
Jeanette
Aug 09, 2014 Jeanette rated it really liked it
This demonstrates depth of information pertaining to the murder of William McLaughlin in 1994 at a California (Balboa Coves) location. He was a wealthy single with 3 offspring and they meet through an ad she put in the newspaper for single availability.

I skimmed this after the first half, because it was such depth and the murderers clearly evident. But proving it took many years, just about 18 actually, until the convictions occurred. Meanwhile they used his money to the hilt, leading high end
Peg
Jul 19, 2014 Peg rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This book is about a murder that took seventeen years to go to trial. There's a verdict at the end but still not a definite explanation of what really happened. That's not due to the author, but because the suspects involved couldn't tell the truth to save their lives. The book is written simply and factually and doesn't try to recreate events or conversations that they simply couldn't know about. She talked to a lot of people involved and I feel that whatever she wrote happened or was said.
Tiffany Delahunt
Jan 19, 2014 Tiffany Delahunt rated it really liked it
I attended this trial and saw Caitlin there every day. She didn't miss a thing in her recreation of this 20-year mystery and it's final resolution. Satisfying to see justice finally done, but so sad for the horrific and needless ruin of so many innocent lives.
Side note to other reviewers: True crime books are NOT 'novels'. The word novel refers to made-up stories, otherwise known as fiction. This is non-fiction.
Sorry to vent but that just drives me nuts!! :)
Valerie
Feb 02, 2014 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll Take Care of You by Caitlin Rother, is a True Crime book about Nannette Johnston Packard who begins dating older man Bill McLaughlin, moving into his beautiful Bay front home in Newport Beach with her kids. But she's also juggling another man, a younger man, Eric Naposki an NFL linebacker. And eventually there's a tragic murder and Bill McLaughlin is found shot to death in his home. The book goes into the extremely long time it ends up taking to bring those at fault to justice.
Laurie
Dec 08, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
An excellent book about a tragic homicide. The story revolves around a woman whose only goal is life is herself and money.Nanette plans on looking after both but when her rich husband decides it's time for a divorce, she has to come up with a plan and fast. With the help of her handsome lover, they put a plan in motion! A good read.
Jennifer Evans Kochalka
Dec 05, 2014 Jennifer Evans Kochalka rated it it was amazing
I knew Nanette Johnston as our daughters were in competition cheer together. She was a super nice lady who, obviously duped a heck of a lot of people besides me. So, it was with great anticipation that I read this book.

The author did a wonderful job of researching the story, crafting a compelling narrative and keeping us in suspense until the end. Well done!
Linda
Feb 09, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any level-headed adult
Recommended to Linda by: the author
Have read this with mixture of feeling. Not my regular cup of tea in reading material. Compelled to read through to the end by the author's delivery of the volumious detail [of evidence] and a viseral need to know how justice finally caught up with these two guilty people. Enjoyed the characterization of the prosecutor, judge and defense attorneys.
Melissalampkin
Apr 11, 2014 Melissalampkin rated it liked it
The behind the scene look at how dectives solve a crime is very very interesting. Much more in depth than those hour long police/law shown on tv. I don't even remember hearing about this crime when it happened. The lengths that people will go to when they are greedy just flapperghast's me. It was a very enjoyable book and I haven't heard that much of this genre, true crime that is.
Jackie
Nov 16, 2014 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

THIS BOOK WAS WELL WRITTEN. IT WAS VERY GOOD AND I FOUND IT HARD TO PUT DOWN. MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE M.L. FAMILY. GOD BLESS. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO EVERYONE.
Brittany
Jun 04, 2014 Brittany rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-won
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads.

I'll Take Care Of You is the chilling account of millionaire Bill McLaughlin's murder. It is the true story of one woman's greed and deception that is a must read for all true crime fans.
Becky mertz
Dec 02, 2015 Becky mertz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner

Crime buffs will love this one it's astonishing how people can have everything and still feel the need to have more
Suzanne
Aug 25, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Another great read by true crime author Caitlin Rother. Caitlin is at the top of the class with her writing and investigative skills. Move over Ann Rule.
Theresa
Sep 04, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another quality true murder

Well written true murder with a lot of characters but it was so well written it was easy to keep everyone straight.
Andrea Drew
Jul 13, 2014 Leslie Jonsson rated it liked it
Interesting read, in the style of Ann Rule
Kim Daniel
Jan 26, 2014 Kim Daniel rated it it was amazing
True crime writing at its finest.
George Jarvis
I want to read this!
Leigh
Sep 14, 2016 Leigh rated it it was amazing
After seeing several different true crime shows on this case I was looking for a good book to read, because that's what I do. See a good TV show or movie, the book will have even more information. Plus I heard Caitlin Rother was a good crime author and after reading this I would say that the comparisons to Ann Rule are fairly accurate. Rother has her own style, but she tells the story in a way similar to Ann Rule and makes it more like reading a crime novel instead of a non fiction story. ...more
Marissa
Apr 12, 2015 Marissa rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Paperback Win

The story about Nanette Johnston Packard a divorcee who is charged with the murder of her supposedly rich fiancée with her now ex-boyfriend Eric Naposki, her once NFL linebacker lover. Who really kill millionaire Bill McLaughlin in his Newport Beach, California is still a mystery.

We watch how Nanette manipulates men out of their money and spending on things wildly. Going into debt to maintain a ridiculous lifestyle and latching onto men with money sucking them dry even usi
Destinys
Jan 18, 2014 Destinys rated it it was amazing
Nanette Johnson Packard, is the most insane, despicable person I think ever walked this earth. She used her children and all the men involved just to get her own way and steal their money like little pawns in her game of chess. Nanette’s involvement with Eric Naposki, let me still with wonder if he really was the shooter, or If she had another man in the pond to do her bidding. Caitlin Rother’s story beings tons of details. Her investigations and talking to so many people who were involved or ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Too Pretty To Live: The Catfishing Murders of East Tennessee
  • Death Trap
  • Trace Evidence: The Hunt for the I-5 Serial Killer
  • A Taste For Murder
  • Bitter Almonds: The True Story of Mothers, Daughters, and the Seattle Cyanide Murders
  • Stolen in the Night: The True Story of a Family's Murder, a Kidnapping and the Child Who Survived
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge
  • To Have and To Kill
  • Watch Mommy Die
  • Body of Proof: Tainted Evidence In The Murder Of Jessica O'Grady?
  • Blood Justice: The True Story of Multiple Murder and a Family's Revenge
  • A Need to Kill: The True-Crime Account of John Joubert, Nebraska's Most Notorious Serial Child Killer
  • Satan Came to Eden: A Survivor's Account of the "Galapagos Affair"
  • The Chupacabra: A Borderline Crazy Tale of Coyotes, Cash & Cartels
  • Karly Sheehan: True Crime Story Behind Karly's Law
  • Almost Paradise: The East Hampton Murder of Ted Ammon
  • Murder myself, Murder I am.
  • Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka: The True Story of the Ken and Barbie Killers (Crimes Canada: True Crimes That Shocked The Nation, # 3)
New York Times bestselling author Caitlin Rother has written or co-authored 11 books, ranging from narrative non-fiction crime to mystery to memoir. Her titles include LOVE GONE WRONG, DEAD RECKONING, THEN NO ONE CAN HAVE HER, I'LL TAKE CARE OF HER, NAKED ADDICTION, POISONED LOVE, BODY PARTS, TWISTED TRIANGLE, LOST GIRLS, WHERE HOPE BEGINS and MY LIFE, DELETED. A Pulitzer Prize nominee, Rother ...more
More about Caitlin Rother...