Start by marking “Women in Space: 23 Stories of First Flights, Scientific Missions, and Gravity-Breaking Adventures” as Want to Read:

Women in Space: 23 Stories of First Flights, Scientific Missions, and Gravity-Breaking Adventures (Women of Action)

When Valentina Tereshkova blasted off aboard Vostok 6 on June 16, 1963, she became the first woman to rocket into space. It would be 19 years before another woman got a chance—cosmonaut Svetlana Savitskaya in 1982—followed by American astronaut Sally Ride a year later. By breaking the stratospheric ceiling, these women forged a path for many female astronauts, cosmonauts, ...more
Published February 1st 2014 by Chicago Review Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Women in Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women in Space

Thom
Apr 15, 2016 Thom rated it it was ok
Started reading this aloud with my daughter during Women's History Month, and it started off well. However, most of the 23 entries read like encyclopedia entries, or perhaps a middle school report. My middle schooler complained that she got lost in the words at times. Editing was a problem also, with several errors spotted over the course of the book. On the plus side, now she really wants to learn more about Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman in space.

Disclaimer - I haven't read any other "W
Jill
Mar 23, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
Chicago Review Press adds to their “Women of Action” series with this compendium of vignettes about the remarkable women who became part of the space program. (While more than fifty women have now traveled into outer space, 23 are profiled in depth in this book.)

There are many interesting anecdotes in this book, such as the fact that the television series “Star Trek” was originally envisioned by Gene Roddenberry as having a female captain, but sponsors refused to sign on unless the captain was a
Meg - A Bookish Affair
May 01, 2014 Meg - A Bookish Affair rated it really liked it
"Women in Space" is another book in the fantastic Women in Action series. This is a non-fiction series geared for young adult readers and it is really fantastic. "Women in Space" is a collection of stories of the women who dared to go to the final frontier: space. I was drawn to this book by my own fascination with space and those people that were brave enough to explore it. I was not disappointed with this book at all.

When I was little, I wanted to be an astronaut and I grew up looking up to so
Alicia
The subtitle telling you that it is a book of 23 stories of first flights, scientific missions, and gravity-breaking adventures is spot on because one of the only disappointments in the book is that the chronology wasn't clearly defined in terms of the stories. I would get in to a chapter and think, didn't I read a bit about this already, but not because it was built upon from a previous chapter, rather mentioned in terms of another story, event, or person.

Absolutely integral in playing up STEM
Jenny
Nov 25, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
This book had a ton of great info about a large number of astronauts, and was engaging and interesting, but it REALLY needed a better editor! It appears that the chapters were written in isolation, and then not edited when put together - info was often strangely repeated or not properly explained in adjacent chapters. Also, the book seems to have a problem with Russian history and/or geography -- in the introduction, the Soviet Union is referred to in the present tense as the current launch site ...more
Sam
Jun 25, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an interesting and informative book about some of the most famous women to have gone into space or trained to do so. I was shocked to learn about the Mercury 13, a group of women I had never heard of before, and very impressed by their durability and determination. I liked how the countries are separated by sections and each woman has her own chapter. I would have enjoyed a few more pictures of the women being discussed, but all in all I gained some new historical knowledge and it was ...more
Marta
May 04, 2014 Marta rated it really liked it
A quick and interesting read about women in space: from the first women who went through training but were denied a chance to fly into space, to Sally Ride, Shannon Lucid, Eileen Collins and many others who have lead the way for women in space.
Andrea
Feb 13, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
Fine for what it was, but a bit tedious and took me two months to get through. The profiles were generally all really similar and I could only read one or two at a time.
Sandy
Jun 27, 2016 Sandy rated it it was ok
Targeted to young girls, about 11-15 years old. Unfortunately reads like a very dry collection of biographies.
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Soarlighter
Soarlighter rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Balaharipreetha
Balaharipreetha rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Edward Sullivan
Reviewed for professional publication.
Margaret L. Atkinson
Margaret L. Atkinson rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Denise Force
Denise Force rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Gabriela
Gabriela rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Angelique Clarke
Angelique Clarke rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2015
HNGC Library
HNGC Library rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Eliana
Eliana rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Shoshana Frank
Shoshana Frank rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
James Hoffman
James Hoffman rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Sonia
Sonia rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Kimberly Tate
Kimberly Tate rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2016

Women of Action (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Women Heroes of World War II: 26 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Resistance, and Rescue
  • Women Heroes of the American Revolution: 20 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Defiance, and Rescue
  • Women Heroes of World War I: 16 Remarkable Resisters, Soldiers, Spies, and Medics
  • Women in Blue: 16 Brave Officers, Forensics Experts, Police Chiefs, and More
  • Courageous Women of the Civil War: Soldiers, Spies, Medics, and More
  • Marooned in the Arctic: The True Story of Ada Blackjack, the "Female Robinson Crusoe"
  • Women of Colonial America: 13 Stories of Courage and Survival in the New World
  • She Takes a Stand: 16 Fearless Activists Who Have Changed the World