Start by marking “Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Charlie Campbell was your average, balding, thirty-year-old alcoholic with a dead-end job and a penchant for shambling through life one mistake after another. However, none of that mattered following the sudden arrival of a mysterious sickness that brought with it infected mobs of zombie-like creatures thirsting for the flesh of the living.

Trapped in a Chicago apartment th
Published April 3rd 2013 by Chicago Moonlight Publishing (first published April 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Drunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Drunk

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 2 by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 3 by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 4 by Mark Tufo
Best Zombie Books
372nd out of 981 books — 2,291 voters
Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenBewitching Love Potions & Charms by Raven Tempest
Cover Couples
302nd out of 715 books — 563 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick D'Orazio
Dead Drunk provides the reader with a different take on surviving the zombie apocalypse. Often times the moral of the story when it comes to apocalyptic fiction is that the screw ups tend to get their comeuppance. Someone might have some dumb luck and avoid getting slaughtered right away, but for the most part, if you are a coward, an imbecile, or a callous, crass, self-absorbed fool you either wise up right away, transform into some sort of crony to the chief bad guy, or die in a very gruesome ...more
Janene
How many times have we seen this cover on other books?

Fast forward...

Okay....so, now that I got my gripe about the over-used cover off my chest (see authors response in comments), I can review Dead Drunk.

I wasn't even going to read this one right away after downloading it to my kindle, but for some reason...I think it was 'meeting' Richard Johnson, and saw what a nice, normal guy he is....I became more than curious and put my other 5 books on-hold to read it.

I read another review that said thi
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
OK...right...your in the middle of the Zombie Apocalypse...how will you survive?

Step 1 Get some guns...no, someone could get hurt.

Step 2 Leave the city, there are too many dead running around...no man, it's too far away, plus we aren't "country folk".

Alright then what should we do?

I've got it,gather up as much booze as possible and crash on the top of an apartment building in downtown Chicago until the whole thing just blows over. It'll be fine. We'll drink ourselves into a drunken stupor. Oh ya
Jill
My husband and I both LOVED this book.

I’ve recommended it to several friends and will continue to do so. It had me giggling like a crazy person so many times, but at the same time, created characters I really cared about and a storyline that was easy to follow, but meaningful.

The compassion for animals in the book was also a good touch that I appreciated as a dog and horse person. That just added even more depth to the story and insight into the characters. I even liked the political "snipes"
Lisa
Yeah, yeah...

I hate to admit this, but I think I actually lost some brain cells reading this book. I mean its hilarious, think The Hangover with Zombies, yet even more ridiculous. (Possibly that new movie coming out "This is the End"

I can't say I liked any of the characters, they were all horrible people (I am not saying they were badly written, but down right horrible people) and yet the scary thing is that in a Zombie apocalypse they would be the ones to actually survive, now wouldn't they.

In
Rebecca Trotter
Up until Chapter 7, I was giving Dead Drunk two stars: the writing was great, but nothing zombie-like was happening and the racism was too overdone.

By the time I was about 75% of the way through I had raised my view to four stars: the writing was still great, the racist cop was finally knocked on his ass (still can't believe no one had clobbered him before then), and the post-apocalypse lifestyle rang true.

The last 10 to 15 percent, of Dead Drunk, earned the five star rating.

If there is ever a s
Michael Flanagan
What do you do when it's the end of the world and everyone around you is trying to eat you? Easy get drunk and throw stuff at the Zombies, from a safe distance that is. A group of middle aged blokes wake up after a drunken sham of a bucks party to the end of the world. This bunch of loosers finds themselves isolated with plenty of booze and fair bit of cat food to keep them going. As they slowly start to die off, picked off by Zombies, suicide and just plain bad luck. The survivors are given a g ...more
Audiobook Jungle
Apparently, I’m on a zombie streak this month with yet another zombie apocalypse audiobook. Dead Drunk seemed to be a promising zombie novel that doesn’t take itself too seriously which is very refreshing considering the generally morbid and depressing nature... read more
Patti
An interesting bunch of characters, too bad my favorite one got bit and died, but he had an honorable death.

Some places amusing, some places downright stupid, some places filled with every cliche known to zombie books. But it was worth the read.

Russ kinda pissed me off at the end, but if you've read any of my reviews, you know why.

Not a bad read.
danielle
This is the type of book that people will look at the title and cover, and either love the concept and buy it, or think it's silly and pass on it. If you pass on this one, you will miss a great story! I loved it! Action, humor, awesome characters...more like anti heroes. These men are more like your bumbling, average joe neighbors, than the military trained, knowledgable characters in other zombie apocalypse books. But ut works within this story, and makes for a "reallistic" read. Read this book ...more
Adrian Bowman
I couldn't get behind the characters. They where nicely fleshed out but I personally found them to be a pretty detestable bunch in the way they treated each other. It may have gotten better later, but I gave up after 5 chapters. I can't fault the writing style in any way. Don't take this too harshly though. You might enjoy it. It just wasn't for me.
Jacob Donley
I had the good fortune of knowing Richard Johnson for the short time that I attended Monmouth College. Much like he was during college, his book, DEAD DRUNK, was humorous and entertaining. At times, I had to put the book down because I couldn't hold my tablet straight enough to read as my laughter increased. While the book was admittedly funny, there are tender moments and sad instances in the book that pull at the heartstrings as well. I would fully welcome anyone who enjoys a good zombie book ...more
Steven Simpson
Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time

This is a fantastic take on the zombie genre with lots of action but mainly I enjoyed this book for the comedy value. Its follows the antics of several friends who where cellebrating a Bachelor party, when they wake up in the morning china have caused Armageddon in the US and hordes of hungry zombies are on the loose. It’s a story of survival humour and relationships and is probably a good insight into what many would do in a zombie
Lee French
Everything that this book promises is delivered. It's a zombie novel about a guy I wound up rooting for even though he's a loser. The humor is lowbrow, the beer flows freely, and the silliness quotient is high (literally, part of the time). In many places, this book is entirely preposterous, and that's exactly how it should be.

I found myself laughing out loud at several points. Although the antics of the survivors can be over the top at times, it's still hilarious. Be forewarned there is a lot o
Lizzy
Things start out normal. Charlie Campbell is a substitute teacher at a local school. It's summer time and he is one of the summer school teachers. NONE of the kids listen to him and one is always causing him problems. So what does Charlie do to get even? He changes his grades in the computer. Simple enough. The school day ends and Charlie goes home. Tonight is his friend Blake's bachelor party.

All of Blake's friends, college and work, are going out to where Blake has planned a full night out. Ch
Keith Schincke
This was an awesome book. The zombies are fast. The best friends are cut throat with their jokes. The world building helped fill out the story without taking away too much attention from the main set of characters. I found it very enjoyable to read.
Amanda Yeoman
This was an incredibly well written - literally laughing out loud on every page - never ending fun and excitement - drug in the form of a book. I cannot wait to see what the author will do next!
Elizabeth
A hidden gem. One of the more entertaining zombie books I've read in a while - the characters pretty much leap off the page, grab you by the throat and then crack open a beer.
Brandon Carmody
This book is Tucker Max meets a good zombie book!! I couldn't put it down! Character development was good, and the story moved quickly, but effectively. Read this book!
Brian
A different take on the zombie apocalypse genre, but so good. This book is fun to read and absolutely hysterical. Can't wait for more like this.
Jill James
A good time was had by all during the zombie apocalypse.
AudioBookReviewer
My full Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I think you could call Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse… One Beer at a Time National Lampoon’s Zombie Apocalypse or think of it as The Hangover with Zombies. Yes, this audiobook was that ridiculous, full of crude sophomoric humor, plus enough penis jokes to last me at least the rest of the year. I hate to admit it but I was laughing out loud at times and at others it made me cr
David Ketelsen
If you liked Shaun of the Dead then there's a good chance you'll like this book. In both, a down-on-their-luck group of friends face a zombie apocalypse supporting one another as need be. This book is a little grittier and more than one of the friends doesn't make it to the end. Still, that sense of realism adds to the credibility of the book.

There's a lot of humor in Dead Drunk, which might seem odd considering it's about the end of the human race, and not all of it is of the gallows variety.Th
Sara
I have to admit that 3 stars is probably being a bit generous, but I added points for effort. This book is basically centered around a bunch of annoying adult frat-boy types, lock-stepped in their arrested development. Yay for zombie apocalypse; boo for having to spend it with these douche bags. I listened to the audiobook which only worsened my experience as the voice for one of the characters sounded just like Beavis from "Beavis and Butthead". Add to this another character with some form of m ...more
Leisuresuitlarry
Overall a fun read. Overaged frat boys meets the zombie apocalypse isn't something I've seen before. Charlie and Gay Mike are the only characters you feel like you can cheer on. Maybe the guy with the 5 kids. It takes a little longer to get started than I would have liked. They're pretty well established as a bunch of alcoholic, stoner, perverts by at least the third chapter; there wasn't a lot of need to go further with the lesson before getting into the action.

There's a prison storyline that i
Kent Hohlfeld
This wasn't a great book but it didn't totally stink either. It had some fairly funny parts but mixed too much that wasn't funny to be considered a true zombie comedy like Shaun of the dead which seems to be what the author was aiming for. still not a bad short book for a rainy night in.
Zee
Really really Funny. I spent 6 hours laughing so hard.

I would definitely recommend this book and am looking forward to more from Richard Johnson
Colin Buckland
Well this is not your usual zompoc novel, no hard as nails ex armed forces or law enforcement types here, just a bunch of guys getting drunk & stoned while the world turns to s**t around them.

We follow Charlie & his friends on what starts off as a wild stag do & ends up as a fight for survival, as food starts to run out, members of their group fall one by one & worse of all they start running out of booze & drugs, oh & did I mention there's a racoon called Elvis thrown in
Sue
I'm giving this an affectionate 2 stars. This was popcorn literature; in that its not literature at all. This was silly fun, action packed and funny as hell. These characters were complete morons faced with the end of everything and they handle it by getting drunk and high. If you want something fun, quick and not in the least bit challenging, check this out. Its 'The Hangover' meets 'The Walking Dead.'
Matthew Philips
One of the funniest, most entertaining zombie books in a long time. Thanks love for the Christmas gift!
  • Zombie, Inc.
  • The Zombie Wilson Diaries
  • White Flag of The Dead
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Mountain Man
  • Cages (Cages, #1)
  • Mace of the Apocalypse
  • Dead: The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • Dead Hunger: The Flex Sheridan Chronicle
  • Darlings of Decay
  • After (The Phoenix Curse, #1)
  • Machines of the Dead
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • The Undead: The First Seven Days
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • Casket For Sale: Only Used Once
  • Deadlocked
Richard Johnson is a writer and small business owner who grew up in Galesburg, Illinois during the 80's. He graduated from Monmouth College as a double major in History and English and earned a Masters degree in History with a teaching certificate from Western Illinois University. He currently lives with his growing family in a small town outside of Chicago.

Richard is a self-acclaimed expert in th
More about Richard Johnson...