Start by marking “Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #2)” as Want to Read:

Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  532 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Watch out for the road weenies!
A town is overrun by road weenies--a.k.a. joggers--who never smile. A girl thinks she's too old for Halloween...until she finds a special pair of gloves. A boy takes a shortcut to an unexpected place. A mummy takes his revenge, one little piece at a time.... Welcome to the weird and wacky world of award-winning storyteller and master of the m
Published September 1st 2005 by Starscape

Be the first to ask a question about Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHoles by Louis SacharThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
207th out of 995 books — 1,722 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
My Most Favorite Books of All Time
141st out of 157 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Miranda Correll
Feb 24, 2016 Miranda Correll rated it really liked it
This book is filled with tiny short stories that certainly have an underlying message behind each of them. At first, I thought this book was going to be about monsters who are weenies… this was just a guess I made simply by looking at the book cover. However, as I opened the book and began to read, I realized that my inference wasn’t true at all. Rather, this book is filled with stories about children being brave, standing up for themselves, and conquering their fears.

The stories in this book do
Kristen
Oct 27, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
This is a good source of creepy short stories for the upper elementary crowd. A handful of them are really skin-crawling, like the kid being chased through the cemetary by a bad guy who says, "Run, run, run! It makes it more fun!" *shudder* But there are many I can read aloud to a class, like the big sister complaining about how her three-year old brother found the genie bottle before she could, and now he's wishing for weird things like peas when she would've been smart and wished for a gazilli ...more
Emmanuel Rojas
Oct 06, 2015 Emmanuel Rojas rated it it was amazing
My book was a bunch of scary stories.My favorite was the dead cant hurt you i liked it because it was about a boy whose friends dared him to go to the cemetery at night on halloween.so the next day he walked to the cemetery and remenbered about his friend that passed away.So he looked at his friends grave and someone tapped him.he told him the dead doesnt hurt you the living does.He starts chasing him but the man trips and fell in a grave and he thought his dead friend helped him because thier w ...more
Emmett
Jan 06, 2010 Emmett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It has many short stories that are either scary or gross. It is not horribly scary olny a little bit. And as far as gross goes if you dont like bugs, and thinking there crawling up your leg reader discresion is advised.
I think this is a good book. but not amazing theres olny about twenty so it will olny entertain for a little while. But it is not scary for me. But who knows it might be scary for you.
I recomend it for people 5-8 for it to be scary. I think it might scare a 5 year old if he was
Elissa Hoole
Aug 24, 2011 Elissa Hoole rated it it was amazing
My sixth grade students and I were introduced to David Lubar in the Guys Read: Funny Business anthology, and I picked this collection up this summer hoping to be able to use it in my teaching with the same group of kids--struggling but not necessarily reluctant readers. The stories in this book are perfect--a great readaloud or independent reading length, and almost every one begins with a great "What if?" concept...perfect fodder for writing prompts, high-level questioning, and overall just fun ...more
Wyattmclaughlin
Feb 13, 2015 Wyattmclaughlin rated it liked it
The book Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales by David Lubar was an okay book. It had a lot of tales that were creepy and funny. The book didn't have a main character but for every tale, there was a person that was doing the most of the talking.

There is really much to tell about the bok because like I said, the book had 35 different tales but I'll tell you a little bit of them. There was a girl who used to hate halloween because of one year that these bullies yelled at
Jessica Camara
Oct 25, 2013 Jessica Camara rated it really liked it
This book has some great creepy (and/or strange) stories, "The Dead Won't Hurt You", "A Tiny Little Piece", "The Shortcut", "Numbskull" and "Mr. Lambini's Haunted House" to name a few - I've read some of them to 6th grade classes around Halloween - very fun! It's tough to find good, creepy, not overly long stories to share with classes in a class period, but these work really well. Glad I stumbled upon it, am planning on checking out some of the others in the series as well.
Caleb Lattin
Mar 19, 2014 Caleb Lattin rated it it was ok
This book was ok, it had lots of description and imagery. The tales in this book were a little creepy and pretty warped. The thing I didn't like was that it didn't have very much of a thesis. It was also pretty jumpy, and by jumpy in mean we were talking about joggers who never smile, and them we go into talking about a barn. This book was mainly just to entertain you. One story was about when a girl takes a piece of bandage off a manny in a museum. Then she almost put it back because if everyon ...more
Madeline
Jan 11, 2011 Madeline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Now this book scared the bee-jeebies out of me! Caution,this book is full of creepy, scary, sad, monster and mystery filled stories that attack when you aren't looking. Just looking at the title and seeing the cover you hear alarms going off in your head. If you cant live without a good creepy tale, get this IMMEDIATLY!!!Be warned, cause the invasion starts at a bookstore near you!
Melissa
Nov 09, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
this book is so mcuh fun. david and i had so much fun reading it. the stories were a good length to read together before bed. they were also very creative in the variations from story to story. i only gave it 4 stars because it has some of the same stories as the lawn weenies.
Heather
Sep 14, 2014 Heather rated it did not like it
I only read two stories out of this book. I agree that they were creative.

However, I was reading this to my eight-year old third grader and was not happy about the content. Her teacher had read some of them to her in school, so I had assumed they wouldn't be that creepy but they were.

I summarized the two stories that I read to a friend to make sure I wasn't overreacting.

Then I told my daughter we weren't going to read anymore of those stories at home. She actually seemed thankful and admitted
Jaycie
Mar 02, 2014 Jaycie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is soooo scary it scared the pants of me well not for real right when you see the front cover you know it's a scary book so be warned and don't say I didn't tell you :|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
James
Jan 31, 2014 James rated it it was amazing
Great book it filled with many short stories that will make you just want to read the next one! I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to read it!
Mrs Bond
Nov 15, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Excellent collection of short stores that are very suitable for class read-aloud. Stories range from silly to creepy. Especially enjoyed:
'Shaping the Fog' - children sneak out to play in the fog, making playthings and creatures. All is fun until the littlest one attempts to make one like himself.
'Wandering Stu' - deals with selfishness and introduces futility of bureaucracy.
'Lines' - On the way to a school assembly a girl decides to walk next to her friend instead of a single file line. Great ju
Raevyn (Christian and Proud)
The stories were great, but the title and cover don't do the book justice.
Mallory
LET'S BE CLEAR I READ THIS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL NOT NOW.
Sabaa
Shelves:
I like it
jiawei Ong
May 10, 2010 jiawei Ong rated it it was amazing
If you think about it, writing a horror book about one story might be difficult but writing a horror book with like 30 different story books is even more diffucult, because you need to think of more problems, endings, and monsters. "The Dead Won't Hurt You," about a kid who walks around a grave to see if anything hurts you, was one of my favorite stories. "Buzz off," about a boy who had bees all over him, was another one of my favorite tales. David Lubar's mind is filled with a lot of horror sto ...more
Simon711
Jan 07, 2013 Simon711 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 7th-grade-shelf
There many short stories all that are creepy. They creeped me out made me laugh and creeped me out again. Most of the time the are extremely funny. They took classics and warped them into funnies. When I first saw this book I thought it would be one long funny book. When I learned it was short stories I thought it wouldn't be as funny, But it was extra funny.
Tyler R
Mar 08, 2010 Tyler R rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I didn't care for this book at all. I didn't think it would be that good but I told someone I would read whatever book they wanted me to. So I did read it I didn't enjoy it but at least it's done. This book has short little stories about dumb stuff, like people being changed into aliens, and worms taking over someone and taking them into the ground.
Noah
Dec 31, 2009 Noah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-choice
This book is about a bunch of diffrent stories that are creepy and wered and turn your stomach.

I liked this book it was good read but it wasnt the best book that i have ever read but i still really liked it.

I would reccomend this book to people who like weried and creepy tales.
Lara
Jun 30, 2010 Lara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv-fic
Reminiscent of Ray Bradbury or Stephen King, these silly, kinda creepy tales will delight and thrill you. And freak you out. Seriously, these stories take the strangest turns that you's never in a million years consider. Great for discussion and writing projects!
Amber
Aug 30, 2009 Amber rated it really liked it
I thought "Invasion of the Road Weenies" was a very good book. I have a very warped mind, and some of these stories brought me to my limit! I couldn't belive how much I got into this book.
Sean W.
Sep 25, 2011 Sean W. rated it liked it
The subtitle reads "and Other Warped and Creepy Tales". Man, are these warped! Not too creepy, but I can't think of one that wasn't weird or demented in one way or another.
Lisa
Sep 15, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: boys-goofy, cj, favorites
Amazing short story author. Stories range from horror, to sci fi, to fantasy, and more, and every one is a winner. Don't judge this book by its cover or title.
Anderson
Nov 23, 2009 Anderson added it
Shelves: hao-wei
Hao Wei:This had many short stories and they were creepy or interesting.It's a little like "In the Land of the Lawn Weenies" but the stories were more scary.
Aryanna
Feb 20, 2010 Aryanna rated it it was amazing
this book along with it's other books in the series, can freak you out and yet make you laugh like crazy. it is a really good read.
Johnny Bennett
Aug 12, 2012 Johnny Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a Weenies book! Some are great. Some are mediocre. And some lack taste. But as a collection of short stories they are pretty good.
Aubrey
Sep 18, 2010 Aubrey rated it it was amazing
Good book, they are scary stories but not really scary... just something to keep you entertained (seriously they aren't scary)
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Short stories book [s] 7 36 Jun 03, 2014 11:38AM
  • Captain Raptor and the Moon Mystery
  • Fame and Glory in Freedom, Georgia
  • Zombiekins
  • Zombie Butts From Uranus
  • The Pinstripe Ghost (Ballpark Mysteries #2)
  • How to Grow Up and Rule the World, by Vordak the Incomprehensible (Vordak #1)
  • Guys Write for Guys Read
  • Always October
  • Eager
  • Pinocula (The Creature from My Closet, #3)
  • Day of the Night Crawlers (The Notebook of Doom, #2)
  • Pure Dead Brilliant (Pure Dead #3)
  • Attack of the Growling Eyeballs
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
20936
David Lubar created a sensation with his debut novel, Hidden Talents, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults. Thousands of kids and educators across the country have voted Hidden Talents onto over twenty state lists. David is also the author of True Talents, the sequel to Hidden Talents; Flip, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and a VOYA Best Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror selection; several short ...more
More about David Lubar...

Weenies series (7 books)
  • In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #1)
  • The Curse of the Campfire Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series #3)
  • The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #4)
  • Attack of the Vampire Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #5)
  • Beware the Ninja Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #6)
  • Wipeout of the Wireless Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #7)