Start by marking “Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #2)” as Want to Read:

Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies #2)

Watch out for the road weenies!
A town is overrun by road weenies--a.k.a. joggers--who never smile. A girl thinks she's too old for Halloween...until she finds a special pair of gloves. A boy takes a shortcut to an unexpected place. A mummy takes his revenge, one little piece at a time.... Welcome to the weird and wacky world of award-winning storyteller and master of the m
Published September 1st 2005 by Starscape

Be the first to ask a question about Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales

Miranda Correll
Feb 23, 2016 Miranda Correll rated it really liked it
This book is filled with tiny short stories that certainly have an underlying message behind each of them. At first, I thought this book was going to be about monsters who are weenies… this was just a guess I made simply by looking at the book cover. However, as I opened the book and began to read, I realized that my inference wasn’t true at all. Rather, this book is filled with stories about children being brave, standing up for themselves, and conquering their fears.

The stories in this book do
Kristen
Oct 27, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
This is a good source of creepy short stories for the upper elementary crowd. A handful of them are really skin-crawling, like the kid being chased through the cemetary by a bad guy who says, "Run, run, run! It makes it more fun!" *shudder* But there are many I can read aloud to a class, like the big sister complaining about how her three-year old brother found the genie bottle before she could, and now he's wishing for weird things like peas when she would've been smart and wished for a gazilli ...more
Elissa Hoole
Aug 16, 2011 Elissa Hoole rated it it was amazing
My sixth grade students and I were introduced to David Lubar in the Guys Read: Funny Business anthology, and I picked this collection up this summer hoping to be able to use it in my teaching with the same group of kids--struggling but not necessarily reluctant readers. The stories in this book are perfect--a great readaloud or independent reading length, and almost every one begins with a great "What if?" concept...perfect fodder for writing prompts, high-level questioning, and overall just fun ...more
Emmett
Jan 06, 2010 Emmett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It has many short stories that are either scary or gross. It is not horribly scary olny a little bit. And as far as gross goes if you dont like bugs, and thinking there crawling up your leg reader discresion is advised.
I think this is a good book. but not amazing theres olny about twenty so it will olny entertain for a little while. But it is not scary for me. But who knows it might be scary for you.
I recomend it for people 5-8 for it to be scary. I think it might scare a 5 year old if he was
Jessica Camara
Oct 29, 2011 Jessica Camara rated it really liked it
This book has some great creepy (and/or strange) stories, "The Dead Won't Hurt You", "A Tiny Little Piece", "The Shortcut", "Numbskull" and "Mr. Lambini's Haunted House" to name a few - I've read some of them to 6th grade classes around Halloween - very fun! It's tough to find good, creepy, not overly long stories to share with classes in a class period, but these work really well. Glad I stumbled upon it, am planning on checking out some of the others in the series as well.
Madeline
Dec 09, 2010 Madeline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Now this book scared the bee-jeebies out of me! Caution,this book is full of creepy, scary, sad, monster and mystery filled stories that attack when you aren't looking. Just looking at the title and seeing the cover you hear alarms going off in your head. If you cant live without a good creepy tale, get this IMMEDIATLY!!!Be warned, cause the invasion starts at a bookstore near you!
Melissa
Nov 09, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
this book is so mcuh fun. david and i had so much fun reading it. the stories were a good length to read together before bed. they were also very creative in the variations from story to story. i only gave it 4 stars because it has some of the same stories as the lawn weenies.
Anson Tran
May 26, 2017 Anson Tran rated it really liked it
Author is very smart and makes the story unpredictable until the very end where we figure it all out and are surprised. Would reads agun.
Caleb Lattin
Mar 19, 2014 Caleb Lattin rated it it was ok
This book was ok, it had lots of description and imagery. The tales in this book were a little creepy and pretty warped. The thing I didn't like was that it didn't have very much of a thesis. It was also pretty jumpy, and by jumpy in mean we were talking about joggers who never smile, and them we go into talking about a barn. This book was mainly just to entertain you. One story was about when a girl takes a piece of bandage off a manny in a museum. Then she almost put it back because if everyon ...more
Heather
Sep 14, 2014 Heather rated it did not like it
I only read two stories out of this book. I agree that they were creative.

However, I was reading this to my eight-year old third grader and was not happy about the content. Her teacher had read some of them to her in school, so I had assumed they wouldn't be that creepy but they were.

I summarized the two stories that I read to a friend to make sure I wasn't overreacting.

Then I told my daughter we weren't going to read anymore of those stories at home. She actually seemed thankful and admitted
jiawei Ong
May 10, 2010 jiawei Ong rated it it was amazing
If you think about it, writing a horror book about one story might be difficult but writing a horror book with like 30 different story books is even more diffucult, because you need to think of more problems, endings, and monsters. "The Dead Won't Hurt You," about a kid who walks around a grave to see if anything hurts you, was one of my favorite stories. "Buzz off," about a boy who had bees all over him, was another one of my favorite tales. David Lubar's mind is filled with a lot of horror sto ...more
Mrs Bond
Nov 15, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection of short stores that are very suitable for class read-aloud. Stories range from silly to creepy. Especially enjoyed:
'Shaping the Fog' - children sneak out to play in the fog, making playthings and creatures. All is fun until the littlest one attempts to make one like himself.
'Wandering Stu' - deals with selfishness and introduces futility of bureaucracy.
'Lines' - On the way to a school assembly a girl decides to walk next to her friend instead of a single file line. Great ju
Emmanuel Rojas
Oct 06, 2015 Emmanuel Rojas rated it it was amazing
My book was a bunch of scary stories.My favorite was the dead cant hurt you i liked it because it was about a boy whose friends dared him to go to the cemetery at night on halloween.so the next day he walked to the cemetery and remenbered about his friend that passed away.So he looked at his friends grave and someone tapped him.he told him the dead doesnt hurt you the living does.He starts chasing him but the man trips and fell in a grave and he thought his dead friend helped him because thier w ...more
Tyler R
Mar 08, 2010 Tyler R rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I didn't care for this book at all. I didn't think it would be that good but I told someone I would read whatever book they wanted me to. So I did read it I didn't enjoy it but at least it's done. This book has short little stories about dumb stuff, like people being changed into aliens, and worms taking over someone and taking them into the ground.
Simon711
Jan 07, 2013 Simon711 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 7th-grade-shelf
There many short stories all that are creepy. They creeped me out made me laugh and creeped me out again. Most of the time the are extremely funny. They took classics and warped them into funnies. When I first saw this book I thought it would be one long funny book. When I learned it was short stories I thought it wouldn't be as funny, But it was extra funny.
Noah
Dec 31, 2009 Noah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-choice
This book is about a bunch of diffrent stories that are creepy and wered and turn your stomach.

I liked this book it was good read but it wasnt the best book that i have ever read but i still really liked it.

I would reccomend this book to people who like weried and creepy tales.
Lara
Jun 30, 2010 Lara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv-fic
Reminiscent of Ray Bradbury or Stephen King, these silly, kinda creepy tales will delight and thrill you. And freak you out. Seriously, these stories take the strangest turns that you's never in a million years consider. Great for discussion and writing projects!
Mikaela
Mar 10, 2012 Mikaela rated it liked it
this book has some non-forgettable tales in it.
Chelsea
Oct 06, 2008 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
the title does sound awkward but it's really really good!!!!
Austin
Apr 06, 2011 Austin rated it really liked it
WEENIES WEENIES WEENIES WENNIES WENNIES ROAST THEM
Tobias
Mar 01, 2011 Tobias rated it it was amazing
Shelves: weenie-books
Very funny short-stories!!! :)
Cole
Jan 06, 2010 Cole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book is creepy and weird.I dont recommend this book to anybody but if you like weird books this is for you
Windmill D2
Feb 17, 2012 Windmill D2 rated it liked it
Elijah: this book is awesome, it's a great book for kids through 8-10.
Hillary Moldovan
Apr 13, 2012 Hillary Moldovan marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Book donated by Steven W.
Aryanna
Feb 20, 2010 Aryanna rated it it was amazing
this book along with it's other books in the series, can freak you out and yet make you laugh like crazy. it is a really good read.
Austin
Sep 06, 2013 Austin rated it it was amazing
The book I read was very fun to read but also got me Lost in the story. If you like a funny book this would be for you
Annemarie
May 01, 2013 Annemarie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-boys-books
LOL I love these as much as the kids do! recommend for age 7 to 40+ :>
Julie
Sep 16, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A cute collection of short scary stories for young people. Perfect for Halloween time.
Oct 25, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Creepy, spooky and funny. These short stories are perfect for middle readers.
Donna Zakem
Feb 21, 2010 Donna Zakem rated it liked it
Reading this with my 6 year old! Pretty funny for a kids book! <3
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Short stories book [s] 7 36 Jun 03, 2014 11:38AM
  • Snarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life: The Riot Brothers Tell All
  • The Unusual Mind of Vincent Shadow
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • Fame and Glory in Freedom, Georgia
  • Art Fraud Detective: Spot the Difference, Solve the Crime!
  • Nightmare at the Book Fair
  • Captain Raptor and the Moon Mystery
  • The Pinstripe Ghost (Ballpark Mysteries #2)
  • Cartboy and the Time Capsule
  • Zombie Butts From Uranus
  • Zombiekins
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)
  • How to Grow Up and Rule the World, by Vordak the Incomprehensible (Vordak #1)
  • Eager
  • Pinocula (The Creature from My Closet, #3)
  • Day of the Night Crawlers (The Notebook of Doom, #2)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Attack of the Growling Eyeballs
20936
David Lubar created a sensation with his debut novel, Hidden Talents, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults. Thousands of kids and educators across the country have voted Hidden Talents onto over twenty state lists. David is also the author of True Talents, the sequel to Hidden Talents; Flip, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and a VOYA Best Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror selection; several short ...more
More about David Lubar...

Weenies (8 books)
  • In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #1)
  • The Curse of the Campfire Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series #3)
  • The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies (Weenies, #4)
  • Attack of the Vampire Weenies (Weenies, #5)
  • Beware the Ninja Weenies (Weenies, #6)
  • Wipeout of the Wireless Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #7)
  • Strikeout of the Bleacher Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales