Start by marking “The Talismans of Shannara” as Want to Read:
The Talismans of Shannara

The Talismans of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  31,489 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
Although some of the goals to keep Shannara safe had been met, the work of Walker Boh, Wren, and Par was not yet done. For The Shadowen still swarmed over the Four Lands, poisoning all with their dark magic. Each Shannaran had a special death waiting for him- at the hands of The Shadowen-unless Par could find a way to free them all with the Sword of Shannara.

From the Paper
Published February 10th 1993 by Del Rey (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Talismans of Shannara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Talismans of Shannara

Danae
Apr 08, 2015 Danae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This last book in The Heritage of Shannara sub-series started out very strong. It answered questions, had intrigue and mystery, and even had a few edge-of-my-seat intense scenes. However, the ending fell a little flat for me. The big fight scene felt almost too easy. I feel ridiculous saying that when I don't see any other way the author could have resolved it, but it's how it felt. Everything wrapped up a little too quick and clean after four books of anticipating this major fight.

I can't say m
Timothy Stone
Feb 01, 2014 Timothy Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Talismans of Shannara, by Terry Brooks, is the fourth and final book in The Heritage of Shannara quartet of novels. All of the threads of the previous three novels are now coming to fruition, as the Elves lead by Wren Ohmsford Elessedil, the Druids resurrected by Walker Boh, and the Sword of Shannara, found by Par Ohmsford, are all converging on a final battle with the Shadowen-controlled Federation.

Of course, this is not even the most critical factor in the heroes' success. That distinction
Squire
May 30, 2016 Squire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#17/29 in my Epic Shannara Quest.

A slam-bang conclusion to an epic series. Exciting action, expertly paced with a finale in the bowels of the obsidian tower Southwatch that exceeded all of my expectations. The final reveal Brooks saved for this final volume of The Heritage of Shannara was not a surprise (if you drop enough clues, the reader will figure it out; and that's what happens here) but it didn't matter. A definite pick-me-up after the lackluster Elf Queen of Shannara.
Ricky
At this point, I think I might be done with the Shannara books. Not the MTV series, not by a long shot - and certainly not after that cliffhanger! But as for the books, I think I either need to give up now or just take a long break, because they're burning me out at this point. I feel like they're just too more-of-the-same, and they're really not bringing anything new to the table, not like the ways the show gets a little more inventive and incorporates the post-apocalyptic setting much more str ...more
Snowfire
Sep 14, 2007 Snowfire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit I liked this book when I first read it, but I was young and foolish at the time. This book does NOT hold up on re-reading.

The promising parts aren't major players, alas. Wren becomes an idiot and barely has any screen time. Walker is still basically cool (at least in the first half of the book), but then gets infected with terminal stupidity in the ending ("I'm in such a damn hurry to rest I can't stop at the victory feast?"), not to mention abandoning the "Rargh I hate druids and t
Joey Reed
Sep 15, 2012 Joey Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I should have added a reminder to all of the other Shannara reviews I've written the fact that these books are written for young people. When I originally read these books, they were astounding. But now they seem a bit hollow. Upon rereading the Talismans of Shannara, I've discovered that the depth is not nearly what I remember.

Nonetheless, a lesson is awaiting those who are willing to read it. And the characters come to the natural conclusion of the quadrilogy, although not necessarily the one
adam
Mar 16, 2011 adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was 13 or 14 years old... it was pure escapism, especially for an awkward teen who could not interact with the world very well. I was very drawn to the characters which I immediately connected with... The emotional investment that the plot required of the reader gave one amazing highs and lows and drew you further into the adventure... What a great and imaginative writer, thanks Terry Brooks...
Matteo Pellegrini
Jan 22, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Gli Elfi sono tornati alle Quattro Terre. Paranor è tornata nel mondo dei mortali. Walker Boh ha ereditato i poteri di Allanon ed ora è l'utimo dei Druidi . La Spada di Shannara è stata ritrovata. Ma restano gli Ombrati. Coll Ohmsford è vivo e apprende che la Spada è destinata proprio a lui, ecco perché Par non potrà mai usarla. Intanto, Rimmer Dall e i suoi ombrati stanno sfruttando il loro esercito della Federazione per spazzar via gli Elfi dopo il loro ritorno alle Quattro Terre. Ma mentre g
Jasmyn
Dec 08, 2015 Jasmyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it seems like everything got wrapped up - but man did it happen in one big epic crazy scene - or two. The war between Shadowen and the heirs of Shannara is being fought on two (sort of three) fronts. Are you confused yet? There is a ton going on here - and I mean a ton!!! While very exciting and full of action - it might have been nice if it was a little more spread out. We jump from strategy and hiking across the land to super fast paced action battle scene.

While this is probably very re
Elar
Mar 03, 2016 Elar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Quality of book little bit dimished for me in last volume of series. Looks like it was one person seeking an other person and then again other and then final battle and that's it. No big twists for finale.
Janie`
Jun 29, 2014 Janie` rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
It seems like in each book I read, Terry Brook's writing gets better. The descriptions are less repetitive and more evocative. The characters do seem to go round and round in their anxieties and ambivalence about who they are, what they're doing and who to trust, but then don't we all? Each time it doesn't seem like they're exactly at the same place. They do learn and grow - so all in all I'm very happy with this book. I need a little r & r from the intensity - so I'm going to read Terry Pra ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
This is one of the most disappointing anti-climactic ends to a series that I've ever read.
About 3/4 of the way through the book, I still had no idea why anyone was doing what they were doing. There was no purpose to any of it.
There was far too many people getting captured and released, then captured and released again throughout this series. It got old in the first book and was more irritating in this one.
And the ending... what the hell. Let's not tie anything together really, we'll just expla
Ernie Jr.
Jan 10, 2011 Ernie Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sakura87
Il quarto e ultimo libro della seconda saga di Shannara.
Il compimento, il momento in cui tutti i tasselli si incastrano perfettamente al loro posto come un puzzle finalmente riuscito.
Mi fa sempre uno strano effetto leggere la conclusione di una saga; penso che sia principalmente perché se un lettore trova la pazienza di leggere quattro libri, vuol dire che qualcosa quella saga gli ha comunicato. E se l’ultimo libro, per un motivo o per un altro, arriva dopo anni, leggerlo è un’emozione unica: è
Dark-Draco
Sep 06, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book in this series and fantastic in every way.

Walker Boh has brought back the Druid keep, but finds he has a high price to pay. Can he use his new found knowledge and wisdom to defeat the Four Horseman who have laid seige to the castle?

Wren Elessidil, newly Queen of the Elves, has also done what she set out to do, but now faces overwhelming odds as the Federation army sweeps down on them.

Par and Coll Ohmsford have to find each other, face the truths of what they are, but Rimmer
Gordon Gammell
Dec 10, 2013 Gordon Gammell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was in a collection of 4 titled "The Heritage of Shannara". I read the first two. "The Scions of Shannara" and "The Druid of Shannara". The stories are slow moving. The action, which is mainly traveling over bad terrain and being chased by mostly invisible bad guys is little and far between. If you like a page of story progression, then a page of travel notes and then a page or two of characters analyzing why they feel about the other characters and why they are even doing what they ar ...more
Brian Schiebout
May 10, 2013 Brian Schiebout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Talismans of Shannara by Terry Brooks is the fourth book in the Heritage of Shannara series set in the Shannara universe. This book concludes the series and so answers many of the questions which the other books opened up. While all of the main characters from the series have a role to play in this book, the focus is on the two Ohmsford brothers, Par and Coll. They are on a quest to find any magical device as Par already has the sword but instead to discover who they are and what they can do ...more
Neill Smith
Aug 13, 2014 Neill Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Allanon's demands are being met: Walker Boh struggles to fulfill the return of Paranor to the Four Lands, Wren fights to repurpose the elves, and Par Ohmsford has possibly found the legendary Sword of Shannara. It is still unclear how these accomplishments are to mesh into a strategy to fight the Federation and the Shadowen. As their enemies use their strength and guile against them it seems that they are becoming their own worst enemies as they fight against self-betrayal and the powers of thei ...more
Kevin
May 28, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Not a bad series. I enjoyed it for the most part but by this time the stories are getting a little stale. However, I am still continuing in my quest to read (listen on audiobook) to all of them. Still have quite a few to go. My biggest complaint with the Hetritage of Shannara series was the over and over explanation of things that were made clear in the first couple of books. Sometimes it just felt like padding to ensure a high page count. Oh and Parr was a bit too whiny. Okay very whiny, but no ...more
L.
Jun 16, 2016 L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The heros, for the most part, have or are pretty close to finishing their orders given by the shade of Allanon, the last druid. But now comes the hard part, figuring out how they are going to triumph with everything they have accomplished. Rimmer Dall, the head of the greatest evil- Shadowen knows this and strives to make one last plan to not onlt keep the heros apart from each other but to destroy each of them.
Jon Borah
Jan 09, 2015 Jon Borah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

SUMMARY:
Although some of the goals to keep Shannara safe had been met, the work of Walker Boh, Wren, and Par was not yet done. For The Shadowmen still swarmed over the Four Lands, poisoning all with their dark magic. Each Shannaran had a special death waiting for him- at the hands of The Shadowmen-unless Par could find a way to free them all with the Sword of Shannara.

Shane Noble
A decent end to the tetralogy, but a little underwhelming since it was awfully rushed. The first three books set up a lot of action that could have been more satisfying with another 100 pages or so to let things marinate. As it is, everything was rushed through and the final battle was a little anti-climatic. It wasn't badly done by any means, but could have done with some fleshing out.
Luca Mollo
Jun 09, 2016 Luca Mollo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo libro rappresenta il termine del secondo ciclo di Shannara, riunifica le avventure e le strade dei tre eredi e li conduce alla conclusione di questa saga.
Rispetto ai precedenti, è un po' ripetitivo negli eventi, (view spoiler) e a circa l'80-85% del libro ancora non si è in dirittura di arrivo, con la fine che si risolve in due capitoli netti.

Per quanto rigu
Janilee Russell
Jun 25, 2016 Janilee Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Magic and faeries and all manner of things come to a standing point in this one. As always, Brooks is a master in the telling. I began with The Sword of Shannara back in 1980-something, nearly didn't read this set as I didn't want the memories soiled. But very glad I did!
Michael
May 11, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent finish to the series.

I'm a huge fan of Terry Brooks work.
But this book has earned a 5 star rating. It ties all the others up with a whirlwind of events, that keep you glued to your book all the way to the end. It's just a great read.
Steen Christiansen
And so the quartet ends, much the way we expected it would. The lengthy narrative showcases Brooks' lack of clear storytelling, simply because we lose focus of the characters and why we should care about them. Instead, the conclusion feels generic and predictable.
Monique
Nov 09, 2015 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-book, good
This novel did a really good job of tying up all the plot lines from the Heritage of Shannara series. I was terrified that the ending was going to be a remake of the Sword of Shannara ending but it took a different, unexpected ending. The characterization in the novel was okay, in some parts I felt that the characters feelings and inner conflicts was explained too much. Yes, we get the point - Par is unsure about his magic and just wants an answer as to why he is as he is. I also felt that there ...more
Todd
Apr 09, 2016 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series as a whole is pretty standard Brooksian fare - I really just stuck with it because I know that after this the Shannara books start to gain a little variety, and I was on a quest to read the entire (existing) series from start to finish.
Mark Austin
- Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
- Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
- Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
- Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
- Amazing.
Ravi
Mar 27, 2012 Ravi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads Librari...: Publish Date Missing [The Talismans Of Shannara] 2 17 Mar 25, 2013 12:26PM
  • The Hidden City (The Tamuli, #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • Fire Sea (The Death Gate Cycle, #3)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...

Heritage of Shannara (4 books)
  • The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)
  • The Druid of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #2)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)

“And memories, he knew, were not glass treasures to be kept locked within a box. They were bright ribbons to be hung in the wind.” 7 likes
“A reluctance to acknowledge that there may be wisdom in youth would be foolish.” 0 likes