Start by marking “Indo-European Language and Culture: An Introduction” as Want to Read:
Indo-European Language and Culture: An Introduction

Indo-European Language and Culture: An Introduction

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"Indo-European Language and Culture: An Introduction" provides a comprehensive overview of comparative Indo-European linguistics and the branches of the Indo-European language family, covering both linguistic and cultural material.
Fills a long-present gap in the literature of Indo-European studies.
Designed for use in courses, with exercises and suggestions for further re
Published November 22nd 2004 by Blackwell Publishers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Indo-European Language and Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indo-European Language and Culture

Danny
This is a textbook, and while that is fine for Historical Indo-European 101, it is not what I was expecting. Now, if you are in the market for such a book (glossary terms in bold with definitions, etc.) as an intro to IE, this is a solid book. I should have known that by the title, but I found the description and reviews misleading in that regard.

If I had picked this up to use in teaching Indo-European, I might give it 4 or 5 stars!
Emily
Brilliantly written; grounded solidly in current and credible theories regarding Proto-Indo-European; and incredibly useful, especially the chapters on each branch of the Indo-European language family.
Nathan
If Tocharian A excites you, wait 'til you see Tocharian B!

Ilya
A textbook of Indo-European studies; I've only read popular books on the subject previously; it is one of the textbooks used for UC Berkeley's Linguistics 234. The first 8 chapters reconstruct the proto-IE language (its phonology, verb morphology, noun morphology, syntax, the culture of the speakers etc.); the remaining 12 deal with its daughter subfamilies. Indo-Iranian is split into 2 chapters for Indic and Iranian, and Baltic and Slavic are lumped together; Greek, Albanian, Armenian etc. each ...more
Bob Hartley
I'm just a layman so I skimmed most of the more concise parts about morphology and phonology, but it's a very interesting book nonetheless. Some of the explanations for Germanic etymologies leave modern Dutch out where it could have illustrated the point clearly, for example "ons" ("us" - illustrating the dropping of the N in West Germanic) and "geel" ("yellow" - illustrating the transition of a voiced velar fricative to a palatal approximant in English). Comparative linguistics as a whole seems ...more
Lee Drake
Ties together grammatical similarities between Persian, Hindi, Latin, Greek, German, Slavic, and English from the vantage point of the Indo-European hypothesis. While good, it is a textbook and is difficult to get past the whole 3-star thing.
Maya
Steve
Nov 10, 2008 Steve added it
Didn't finish.
Davor
Davor marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Tuxunefo
Tuxunefo marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Carrie Jolly
Carrie Jolly marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Becky
Becky added it
Jul 07, 2014
Sargis
Sargis marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
John Velonis
John Velonis is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2014
Miglė
Miglė marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Marcus
Marcus marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Historical Linguistics Language and Rhythm in Plautus: Synchronic and Diachronic Studies Studies In The Prosody Of Plautine Latin