Start by marking “Giovanni's Light: The Story of a Town Where Time Stopped for Christmas” as Want to Read:
Giovanni's Light: The Story of a Town Where Time Stopped for Christmas

Giovanni's Light: The Story of a Town Where Time Stopped for Christmas

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Ryland Falls wasn't paradise, but there was a certain storybook quality about the town that made visitors catch their breath. As in a book, the order of the stories never changed. On December first, the Chamber of Commerce always hung out the "Yuletide Greetings" banners, the plastic Santa Claus went back on the top of the firehouse roof, and grumpy Diane at Elwood's Marke ...more
Published October 22nd 2002 by Scribner (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Giovanni's Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giovanni's Light

Sue
May 10, 2010 Sue rated it it was ok
I was expecting an incredible book as the 10 reviews on amazon were all 5 star. This book seemed to be written for elementary school age children. It was really corny. I was surprised at the cliche writing as I'm reading theroux's memoir and it's anything but cliche. This little book reminds me of something you might read in condensed form in a reader's digest.
Linda
Dec 08, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Children's Christmas stories are my favorite collection, and I have accumulated several favorite books over the years.

I haven't found too many adult Christmas books that I have fully appreciated (exceptions: Dickens' A Christmas Carol, O'Henry's The Gift of the Magi, Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory, Dylan Thomas' A Child's Christmas in Wales) and so wasn't expecting anything grand when Giovanni's Light caught my eye at the local library. Giovanni's Light by Phyllis Theroux is a quick read but
Kellie
Dec 17, 2015 Kellie rated it liked it
A sweet little story but not really anything that will stick with me. I really liked some of the characters (Giovanni in particular) and would have liked a longer novel with more fleshed out stories for all of them.
Noreen
Jan 25, 2016 Noreen rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-story
Yeh, a Christmas book I actually enjoyed. This was a touching story without becoming corny and unrealistic.
Chris
Apr 11, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
A very sweet story about stopping to smell the flowers.
Relyn
Jan 03, 2010 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: harried people at Christmas time
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
Four and a half stars

This is a small, but precious book. Perfect for an hour or two in the days leading up to Christmas. A pretty, well-written reminder to slow down, to savor. I'm so glad I read this.

From the book:
In truth, Giovanni was never ready to leave the mountain. He loved everything about it - how the birds formed a wreath of song around the roof in the early morning, the sound of melting creek tumbling over the rocks in the spring, the way the wind bent the treetops during a storm.
Ally Whittemore
Jun 10, 2016 Ally Whittemore rated it really liked it
A wonderful story about slowing down and enjoying the people and things around you. This book contains a lesson everyone needs to learn.
Amanda
Dec 19, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
There was really not much to this book so I was a bit disappointed with it. It had a nice enough theme to it but I felt like it was really lacking both in the story and character development. It felt more like a little story someone might write for a school assignment than a published book. But at least it's a quick read, so it wasn't like I spent a ton of time reading it to come out not caring much for it.
Alleluialu
Nov 28, 2013 Alleluialu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
I took this little book out of our local library with several other Christmas books to read for the Christmas Spirit Reading Challenge. It is a good story about a town at the bottom of a mountain that learns to slow down and appreciate what they have and the gifts they have been given. It gave me a nice warm feeling when I finished it which is what you expect from a Christmas novel. Very good!
Jackie
Dec 01, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
Leslie
Dec 17, 2011 Leslie added it
This was such an uplifting little gem. Something occurs which stops this little town in its Christmas preparation tracks. The event opens everyone's eyes and hearts. I enjoyed the insights on the pitfalls of our current busy lives and how to stop, ponder and wonder again. Such a treat.
Sharon
Nov 14, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. It will put you in the mood for Christmas. Sit down with some hot chocolate and enjoy.
G
Jul 06, 2009 G rated it it was amazing
Just a nice and simple book. It was nice to read about Christmas when it is sweltering outside
Diane
Dec 07, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
A lovely little Christmas book. More on http://bookwinked.wordpress.com
Karen
Nov 30, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for Christmas gifts; not too hard to read and short, very short!
Signora
Nov 23, 2011 Signora rated it liked it
Small town rediscovers the spirit of Christmas
Suzie
Dec 07, 2009 Suzie rated it liked it
Very quick read - less than an hour :-)
Nicole
Nov 18, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Sweet, easy Christmas story. Short.
Rebecca
Dec 06, 2007 Rebecca rated it liked it
Sappy (but not bad) Christmas book #3.
Mary Ann
Mary Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
sallie
sallie rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Marian
Marian marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Janet Rowland
Janet Rowland rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Theresa Dennis
Theresa Dennis rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Em
Em added it
Dec 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Phyllis Theroux is an essayist, columnist, teacher and author. Born in San Francisco, California, she is the critically acclaimed author of numerous books, including "California and Other States of Grace", "Peripheral Visions", "Nightlights: Bedtime Stories for Parents in the Dark", "The Book of Eulogies", "Serefina Under the Circumstances" and "Giovanni’s Light". "The Journal Keeper: A Memoir" wa ...more
More about Phyllis Theroux...

“Every house has its own private cup of sorrow. (3)” 2 likes
“His eyes were sharp but kind, and it seemed to amuse him to see children misbehave when he knew that deep down they didn't really want to misbehave, but were just feeling lonely or misunderstood or wanted to go outside and play instead of sitting in a hot classroom. (26)” 2 likes