Start by marking “The Dairy Queen” as Want to Read:
The Dairy Queen

The Dairy Queen

The author of It's Not You, It's Me offers the quintessential chick-lit novel about a woman who loses everything and returns to her cow-obsessed hometown in Australia. Original.
Published March 1st 2006 by Red Dress Ink (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Dairy Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dairy Queen

Hope
Apr 23, 2007 Hope added it
This is one of the Red Dress Ink books that is not about a woman in her twenties who works in New York and wants a boyfriend. The narrator is a woman in her thirties in Australia who has an estranged husband. I enjoyed it. It was an easy read that was entertaining - no philosophical treasure, but a nice read. This publisher is a division of Harlequin, I am almost embarrassed to say, but I decided I need some light reading this year and it has been provided by my sister and Red Dress Ink.

Jadine
Jul 05, 2008 Jadine rated it liked it
The story was very sweet and I appreciated the relationship between the sisters and the relationship of best friends. The descriptions of the small Australian town and it's inhabitants didn't seem that far off from any small town in America. The only issue I had was the length of time between alluding topics to the explanation.
Perkimom
Mar 10, 2014 Perkimom rated it liked it
Lovely little beach and airplane read!
Barbara ★
Two sisters and their childhood friend return to their small hometown in Australia after experiencing life that suddenly turned difficult and threw all three of them individually for a loop. This is typical chick lit where the characters have to "find themselves" in order to move on with their lives.

I did find it a bit rambling and going nowhere and the ending was a little too pat but I guess to be expected after all.

My favorite character was Fergus, the Irish wolfhound who was always funny an
Mel
Aug 17, 2015 Mel added it
good
Nicole
Dec 31, 2010 Nicole rated it liked it
I am actually in the middle of this and I'm really enjoying it. I love this idea of being able to escape from your problems for a bit, even though the character's quickly prove that no matter where you go...there you are. The humor in this book is fantastic and the personality of the dog is just as sharp as the three women. My favorite character is Sally, and her ability to be sharply blunt (definitely a friend I'd want!). So, this book is worth the read, especially if you are needing an escape ...more
Daneen
Aug 08, 2009 Daneen rated it it was ok
I think I've read this before....unfortunately, I had already started the book and was into a bit when I realized I had read previously read it. However, I could not recall the story so I continued. I don't think it was any better the second time around.

It is a good, easy-read story. A story of two sisters and a friend who go through some bad, work through the bad, and get to the good on the other side--and that doesn't always mean a man...it is about the women.
Amy
Sep 28, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok
Halfway through and it's still not doin' much for me. Fergus the dog seems to be the only truly interesting character. I think this premise and these characters had a lot of potential, but I found it to be alot of rambling with no direction. Every time I thought it was going to get interesting...nope, just more rambling. The setting was nice, but a little too familiar. To quote Jeanne, "Life's too short".
Kathleen
Jul 10, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
Very light reading, (its published by a subsidiary of Harlequin, i am embarrassed to say)and its not one of those books you just cant put down. It is about 3 women in their 30's who for various reasons return home (to a small town in Australia) and work out some of their problems. An additional "character" is Fergus the wolfhound who i found to be delightful.
Tiah
Dec 02, 2012 Tiah added it
I picked this up expecting an easy light romance read. Instead it was a rather sombre women's comic lit, heavier than anticipated. I'm not sure I did enjoy reading it. But the overall read left me ponderous. Which is why I decided to add it to the goodreads list.
Ann
Jul 21, 2008 Ann rated it liked it
I just like sisters & friends books. We all have hidden problems or things that scare us, but if we just learn to bring it out and talk to someone we love maybe it won't seem so bad or maybe they can even help us resolve it.
Megan
Mar 01, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Very good. Only thing I would like to say is that I think the characters made a big deal about the answers to the smallest problems.
Leah
Oct 04, 2008 Leah rated it it was ok
Um, OK, the cover gave it too much justice. Not bad while I was reading it but when it was over I felt I had wasted my time.
Jessica
Apr 16, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Chick lit lovers
Worth reading, although it was a bit hard to get into at first. There are some good lessons to be learned from reading it.
Jessi
Oct 13, 2008 Jessi rated it liked it
Takes you out of the normal chick-lit setting of Manhattan or London, and out to the farm. Very cute and quick read!
Erika
Jan 26, 2012 Erika rated it it was ok
Shelves: chic-lit
Not one of my favorite chick lit books, seemed like there were some great issues but they kind of got lost.
Maria
Oct 23, 2008 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, own
An easy read; a book to take your mind of your own troubles and escape into someone elses.
Kim
Jan 17, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
Cute, funny, quick read. I pretty much devoured this one in one sitting. Couldln't put it down!
Amanda
Mar 15, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I read this in September and I don't know what it was about it but it was amazing!
Teresa Drelick
Nov 17, 2015 Teresa Drelick rated it really liked it
I loved the wit, the unconditional love and a happy ending.
Anna
Oct 13, 2008 Anna rated it liked it
Fun book. Easy to read!
Jen
Mar 01, 2014 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
it was ok.
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
T K
T K added it
Sep 04, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Annabell
Annabell marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Truthfultruth
Truthfultruth marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
  • Speechless
  • Killer Summer
  • The Funeral Planner
  • My Fake Wedding
  • Slightly Engaged (Slightly, #3)
  • Scenes From A Holiday
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • Like Mother, Like Daughter
  • Mean Season
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
  • Dating Can Be Deadly
  • Losing It
  • Summer in the Land of Skin
  • The Night I Got Lucky
  • Marrying Up
  • The Matzo Ball Heiress
  • On The Verge
Allison Rushby is the Australian author of a whole lot of books (fourteen at last count). She is crazy about Mini Coopers, Devon Rex cats and Downton Abbey. You can find her at http://www.allisonrushby.com, procrastinating on Facebook, or on Twitter at @Allison_Rushby. That is, when she’s not on eBay, or Etsy, or any other place she can shop in secret while looking like she's writing…
More about Allison Rushby...