Doc Maynard: The Man Who Invented Seattle

Doc Maynard: The Man Who Invented Seattle

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Paperback
Published by Nettle Creek Pub. Co. (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Doc Maynard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doc Maynard

Travis Pratt
Feb 27, 2008 Travis Pratt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History Buffs, People from Seattle
I found this book to be really fascinating and informative at the same time. 'Ol Doc Maynard was a very clever and Shrewd character. Long past what was considered the prime of men in his day, he turned what was an uninteresting tract of forrest into what would become one of the most important and iconic cities of the Northwest and the entire West Coast.
I bought this book at the little underground (literally) shop at the end of the underground city tour in Seattle, WA. If you are ever in Seattl...more
Felisa Rosa
Doc Maynard, Seattle's drunkest and most fascinating founder, is one of my personal heroes. He was more interested in creating a cool city than making a shitload of money himself, and he led the first faction of goodtime people in the city, thwarting the wholesome forces of Denny and the other founders. (A battle that still rages in Seattle, I might add.)

I suppose it's appropriate that such a gregarious character should have a gregarious book written about him, but I couldn't help but wish that...more
Rena Searles
Love Speidel's sense of humor and the way he tells the truth about his history! The best part of reading this book was the entertainment value - no boring, dusty old tome here. Speidel makes the pioneers of the Pacific Northwest come alive. Just goes to show that we can have heroes that are real and down to earth, rather than starched, stuffy and the image of perfection. Really enjoyed this book, and because I live here found the references to the geography & history of the area very interes...more
Cole
As biographies go, this one's not bad. Speidel writes more like he were telling you a story around the fireplace, and less like he were teaching you history - which I appreciate greatly. In other words, even if you don't like history much you can still enjoy this book.

On the other hand, the event can sometimes be hard to follow, and certain details get glossed over for the sake of storytelling. I would have liked some of the events to be spelled out a little more.

Doc Maynard is no doubt one of t...more
I was turned on to this book after taking the Underground Tour in February. I did enjoy the book, I was born and have lived most of my life in the Pacific Northwest, so I easily related to the content and location descriptions. I did, however, have a bit of a tougher time following the layout of events. In many situations Speidel gets things quite jumbled up and doesn't seem to tie events together in an order that was easy to follow. Good book, lots of interesting historical info though!
John
A very detailed and informative history on the history of Seattle looking into the lives of Doc Maynard and Arthur Denny and their plans, plots and scandals of the making of the city. All done with a good twist of humor.
Lisa
I borrowed this book from a co-worker after traveling to Seattle. Bill Speidel writes in a story-teller fashion to relate the history of the founding of Seattle. It is very interesting, but the latter half of the book lacked a good organization and my mind started to wander when reading. Those who are interested in Seattle and its history will enjoy the book, as well as Speidel's folksy method of history-telling.
Beth
One of the most entertaining biographies I have ever read. This is the true story of David "Doc" Maynard, whose business savvy and foresight paved the way for the founding of Seattle, WA. Speidel's writing style is a great mix of fact and humor. If you live, or lived, or plan to live, in Seattle....you should read this.
Rick Thomas
A fun romp through the history of Seattle.
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Lyndsay
Lyndsay marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Alex Plishka
Alex Plishka marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Ambar Gorbea
Ambar Gorbea marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Davenport
Davenport marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Mich
Mich marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
George E. Dunster
George E. Dunster marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Emily Maccready
Emily Maccready marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Mary L Tastet
Mary L Tastet marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bill Speidel, founder of the Underground Tour, is remembered as one of the last of a few genuine old-time Seattle characters.
Although Speidel started the world-famous Underground Tour, spearheaded the campaign to preserve Pioneer Square, wrote a best-selling Seattle history (“Sons of the Profits”), and rediscovered one of Seattle’s early heroes (Doc Maynard), he is remembered most for his wit—an i...more
More about William Speidel...
Sons of the Profits; or, There's No Business like Grow Business: The Seattle Story, 1851-1901 Through the Eye of the Needle Seattle Underground You Can't Eat Mount Rainier The Wet Side Of The Mountains (Or Prowling Western Washington)