Start by marking “Pirates of Pensacola” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Pirates of Pensacola

The Cooke and Hood families have been at each other's throats since the Spanish Main days. The latest chapter in their piratic rivalry takes place in 2004, when an old treasure map turns up. None of this seems to matter to Morgan Cooke, a cowardly, landlubbing accountant entirely ignorant of his heritage until his estranged father, Isaac, in need of crewmen, kidnaps him an
Published September 13th 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Pirates of Pensacola, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirates of Pensacola

Hannah
Jan 23, 2012 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would have read this book anyway, it was a great book, one of the best I’ve read. It’s about two families: the Cookes and the Hoods. They’ve been going at each other and stepping on each others’ throats since the Spanish main days. The main characters are Morgan Cooke, Isaac Cooke, and Avery Hood.

After a few chapters, a treasure map shows up. Then, once Isaac finds out he sets off to find it. He kidnaps his son, Morgan, and takes him on an adventure…………

The bad guys they encounter are inter
Rick F.
May 18, 2013 Rick F. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UTTERLY MAGNIFICENT!! Very Very funny and absorbing modern pirate tale..impossible to put down!
Jan 03, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Watching Morgan the accountant dragged kicking and screaming (at first) into a pirate treasure map search is absolutely hilarous.
Carla
Jun 04, 2010 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Todd sent it to me saying it was hilarious. I failed to get it but it was a good book. Not funny to me, however.
Clickety
Jul 01, 2008 Clickety rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun; good dynamics between the characters.
Lace
Aug 09, 2014 Lace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, own
I won this book on a giveaway on goodreads. This story is a rollicking adventure between a man and his father, who is a pirate but has been in a correctional facility for the past fifteen years or so (the pirate part is unbeknownst to his son). The father, Isaac, gets released and immediately kidnaps his son, Morgan, from his dull accounting job, to help Isaac find his hidden treasure. Only problem, the people Morgan works for are from a long line of pirates (the Hoods) who have been feuding for ...more
Mark
Mar 22, 2012 Mark added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Ol' Chumbucket
I picked this book up (on Kindle) solely at the recommendation of The Pirate himself, Ol' Chumbucket (of Talk Like a Pirate Day fame). At $0.99 on TLaPD I couldn't pass up such a well recommended book.

The book itself was a bit slow to start but once the ride got moving, I couldn't wait to find out how it would end. There's plenty of twists and turns as you try to determine what is reality and what's just the wild dreams of a madman. While not the best book I ever read, it's certainly, by far, th
Monica
May 23, 2014 Monica rated it it was amazing
To distinguish this, from my many 4 star ratings, i I gave this five stars. (It probably doesn't quite deserve it), but I truly enjoy everything that Keith Thompson writes. His main characters seem to be fathers and sons, all adults, and the father is usually the heroic one and the son is somewhat nerdy in comparison.

This one has a good deal of history of pirates in the Caribbean. Father and son are descendants of the famous pirate Captain John Cook, from the 17th century.
Chris
Feb 01, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad pirate book. It reads a bit like a movie with appropriate one liners and gotcha moments. Mixing a bit of humor. With some killing scenes offered a book that at times was unsure of itself. The style appears to be somewhere in the middle between Gus Openshaw and his newer ASpy novels as far as seriousness etc. Either way i would have to give a favorable review and not just because he spells his name the proper way.
Scott Honey
Dec 10, 2013 Scott Honey rated it liked it
Story line and plot are great, original. Modern day main characters crash into family past and famous history. Midway to the end a little bit too much time spent on the battle/struggle. Waited for climatic end, but it took awhile to get there.
Alan Reynolds
Sep 19, 2014 Alan Reynolds rated it really liked it
I really liked this, I read it in two days on my Kindle. The story lifts plausibly (which is a tribute to the author's good writing) from one implausible level to the next in non-stop action which includes a skilfully developing renaissance of a seemingly lost father son relationship.
LeAnn
Oct 16, 2011 LeAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A thoroughly charming book. Recommended by Chumbucket, one of the "Talk Like a Pirate Day" founders, I wasn't sure what to expect, but this modern-day pirate story was a great read. Funny, exciting and poignant in turns, it kept me riveted right to the end.
Shelly
Sep 02, 2011 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious and touching all at once. It is a feel-good read for me (in fact, I'm looking forward to re-reading it soon). A father and son are reunited, there are pirates, and then there's that alcoholic parrot.
RachelAnne
A zany tale about the CPA who suddenly learns of his descent from an ancient and notorious pirating family. Swashbuckling ensues. Not as thoroughly satisfying as Hiaasen or Moore, but it'll definitely do in a pinch.
Darcee Kraus
As far as excitement goes, this story could have used a bit more; however I adored the idea of a treasure map showing up and inspiring this adventure. I wasn't extremely impressed but was content while reading.

Darcee Kraus
Mckinleyville, CA
Mike Welch
Sep 26, 2014 Mike Welch rated it really liked it
Pirates of Pensacola

Fun read full of pirate lore and adventure. It's a little different from the authors other books in that there were no says.
Dec 07, 2009 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting part on the history of pirates, but there did seem to be A LOT of fighting scenes...liked the ending, though!
C-tim
C-tim rated it it was ok
May 03, 2010
Ginger
Ginger rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Mimi Foxmorton
Mimi Foxmorton rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2010
CK
CK rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Twodogsrunningsouth
Twodogsrunningsouth rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2009
Mike Farnsworth
Mike Farnsworth rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Doris
Doris rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Taylor
Jul 01, 2009 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty silly!
Melki
Melki rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2013
Audrey Hammer
Audrey Hammer rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Fortunate Fall
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab
  • Soldier for the Empire (Star Wars: Dark Forces, #1)
  • Bios
  • She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir
  • Expedition: Being an Account in Words and Artwork of the 2358 A.D. Voyage to Darwin IV
  • Prophets of the Dark Side (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #6)
  • Queerwolf
  • The Mariposa Club
  • The Boy Who Couldn't Fly Straight (The Broom Closet Stories)
  • Finding Balance (Task Force: Gaea, #1)
  • The Lavender Menace: Tales of Queer Villainy!
  • Dance for Two: Essays
  • PINS
  • The Big Bounce (Jack Ryan, #1)
  • A.K.A. Jane (Jane Nichols, #1)
  • The Golden Globe (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #1)
  • The Cassini Division (The Fall Revolution, #3)
Keith Thomson has been a semi-pro baseball player in France an editorial cartoonist for Newsday and a screenwriter. Now a resident of Alabama, he writes about intelligence and other matters for The Huffington Post. His novels include Once a Spy, a New York Times Best Seller, Twice a Spy and Pirates of Pensacola.
More about Keith Thomson...