Start by marking “To Ride Pegasus (The Talent, #1)” as Want to Read:
To Ride Pegasus (The Talent, #1)

To Ride Pegasus (The Talent #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  7,776 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
They were four extraordinary women who read minds, healed bodies, diverted disasters, foretold the future--and became pariahs in their own land. A talented, elite cadre, they stepped out of the everyday human race...to enter their own!
Published April 1st 2000 by Ballantine Publishing Group (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about To Ride Pegasus, please sign up.

Luke Morse The Talents of Earth (or simply 'Talents') series takes place on Earth albeit futuristic one. The series is the precursor to the 'Tower and Hive'…moreThe Talents of Earth (or simply 'Talents') series takes place on Earth albeit futuristic one. The series is the precursor to the 'Tower and Hive' series (aka Rowan, Damia, et al) setting up the canon for the entire series as well as back stories including the formation of the FT&T.(less)

Rebecca McNutt
Oct 19, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
To Ride Pegasus was an amazing story, full of science fiction and fantasy elements and really incredible.
Melinda VanLone
Oct 26, 2011 Melinda VanLone rated it really liked it
I just finished reading To Ride Pegasus, by Anne McCaffrey, for about the 20th time. It never gets old to me, and I know this won’t be the last time I read it. Yes, I’m one of those people who can read a book or watch a movie over, and over, and over. Part of the reason is that if it’s a great book I tend to read it way too fast and I miss things, so I read it again later to pick up all the things I missed. This time through Pegasus I tried to focus on exactly why I love it so much.

It might be
Julianne
Jun 27, 2008 Julianne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Henry Darrow is a surprisingly accurate astrologer. He predicted the car accident that would give him a serious head injury and would put him in the one hospital with an ultra-sensitive electroencephalograph, otherwise known as a Goosegg. After his surgery he woke to a nurse watching him. He had a precognitive episode predicting they would get married and since he was being monitored by the Goosegg the chart showed the unusual activity in his brain at the exact moment of his episode. Scientific ...more
Nettle
Jan 08, 2013 Nettle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book, but it felt like a bit of a slog. The fact it was originally separate short stories showed through, and after each segment I found myself wanting to put it down and read something else for a bit.

There was an interesting current of mind-control throughout the book, seemingly without thought from any of the main characters. At one point a woman is hypnotised into what appears to be a totally different personality, which is then glossed over as "she's happier now", as well as the
Freya
Oct 02, 2013 Freya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, science-fiction
I have read most if not all of Anne MaCaffrey's Pern series and a few of her short stories so I thought I'd start expanding into her other series. I gather that this series might somehow link into the Tower and Hive series (also on my to-read list) though this is a complete guess as my brain just decided to link a couple of things together.

I found this book a little strange to begin with, but then as the story warmed up I really started to enjoy it. McCaffrey basically uses the story to explore
May 24, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I don't know about more recent editions of To Ride Pegasus, but the cover of the 1973 mass market paperback is incredibly misleading. The cover makes it look like some cheesy fantasy novel while the back makes it sound like a mail-order-bride romance or something. In actuality, To Ride Pegasus is a surprisingly good collection of speculative short stories about the difficulties that would arise in legitimizing psychic powers after they have been proven scientifically, and the social/political pr ...more
Sophie
Jan 17, 2014 Sophie rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I like Anne McCaffrey’s works because of her straightforward, no-nonsense writing style, and To Ride Pegasus definitely met my expectations. The four short stories included in To Ride Pegasus are very fast-paced and driven by the storyline, and McCaffrey created clear-cut protagonists and antagonists that are very likable and hateable, respectively. This collection was a light, simple read that (presumably) sets the scene for the next few books of the series, and I was happy to not have experien ...more
Lianne Burwell
Mar 19, 2012 Lianne Burwell rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf, short-stories, reread
I haven't reread To Ride Pegasus in years, so revisiting it was interesting.

The writing style is very dated at this point. The book was originally a handfull of short stories, collected with an introductory 'story' (there wasn't much story to it, just a series of events) to set up the world.

The basic scenario is that in a future (which is mostly the past now, since in the initial story they state it is 1997), where the US has become basically a giant welfare state (Ms McCaffrey's crystal ball wa
Hannele Kormano
Feb 05, 2017 Hannele Kormano rated it did not like it
The first story is the only one I can actually recommend - the tale of creating the institute to protect and develop psychic powers, the difficulty of finding a suitably secluded space in crowded city.

But the rest - oof. What a painful instance of internalized gender politics, so many instances of rational male characters deciding what's best for the dangerous emotional women. It just goes to show how women can be complicit in perpetuating this kind of stuff.

A few choice quotes:

"If only she coul
Jack
Jan 11, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it
Ann McCaffrey is probably one of the 20th Century's most talented female SF authors. I have read most of her "Pern" books and thoroughly enjoyed them. This book is something of a departure from that fantasy mode, though still "soft SF" in that it utilizes psionic talents.
The main character, Henry Darrow, is a "Talent", meaning that he has psionic powers. He gathers and organizes others like him into a group and sells their abilities to predict disasters and accidents, which lowers insurance cost
Jo Woolfardis
Where the hell is Pegasus? Fled from the mid-century ideas, I assume. "The consensus is that while a man might lift furs and jewels, possibly the dress, only a woman would takes the shoes, too." Page 127

In one paragraph the second-wave protagonist is referred to, by the writer and by several other characters, invariantly as Op Owen, Dr Owen, Dai, Dave, Daffyd, Daffyd Op Owen. I assume the author is just super happy she used a Welsh name.
Becky
Sep 01, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the third book first, oops.

This story sets the stage - it lets you know about Talents, their hardships in being astablished for the world to acknowledge, so on.

The only complaint I have is the ending felt abrupt. If I did not have the second book to read immediately I might have been in the car trying to find it.
Justy
Mar 15, 2009 Justy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book is like watching Classic Star Trek, you can see what the world was like when it was written but still love the vision of the future that is shown. Some of the attitudes in the book may be dated but the world is easy to slip into and I enjoyed visiting it again.
Erin Penn
Jun 29, 2017 Erin Penn rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time got reread yesterday. A collection of Anne McCaffrey's short stories from what would become her Talent Universe, To Ride Pegasus was published in 1973. I picked up the ninth printing from 1983. As a decade of printings indicate, I wasn't the only person who loved this book.

The collection contains four short stories/novellas, one of which was specifically written for the book. All the stories were amazing to my 80's teenage self - showing strong women for the
P.S. Watson
Jul 16, 2017 P.S. Watson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
It doesn't matter how many times I read this book. It is an easy read and I just keep reading and reading. McCaffrey has many books that are so close to reality that they are believable sci-fi. Some of the things that she wrote about in the 70s and 80s like "pencil files" and other future technology are now here in, ironically enough, thumb drives. Her characters are down to earth despite having some awesome "powers." This is basically the first book or prequel to her Rowan and Damia series. The ...more
Amy Bradley
Dec 31, 2016 Amy Bradley rated it really liked it
Fascinating! An alternate world, where psychic talents have been objectively identified as existing. There is push-back from government, employers, housing, against those identified as having Talents, and a Center of Parapsychics is formed to both advocate and house these extraordinary humans. Set in the city of Jerhattan, the novel is somewhat episodic, with the third part, Apple, included as a short story in the collection Get off the Unicorn. Fascinating read.
Jason Kivela
Dec 02, 2016 Jason Kivela rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed the Talent series, though I consider the first three up to Rowan basically just world building. It was written a while ago, and suffers from current technology being a head of this future world. Still a great bunch of short stories creating a wonderful and interesting world.
George Sterling
Feb 18, 2017 George Sterling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 1 of the Talents

Just reread book 1 of the series and enjoyed it just as much as the first time. I have been a big fan of the authors books and this is one of the best ones.
Sarah Tanis
May 12, 2017 Sarah Tanis rated it liked it
I read this because I love the second book but I do not think I would read this again. I was not expecting four small stories.
Paul
Mar 19, 2017 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dated and disappointing.

I managed to plough through to the end of this novel, but it was a struggle. The characters are difficult to believe in and impossible to care about.
Sammy
Apr 09, 2013 Sammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Valerie
I seem to have been one of the few people to have read this first, and NOT as part of a series. I did know, I think, that there was a sequel to this book (Pegasus in Flight). I may even have read it; but I don't remember. I don't correlate this book with the Rowan series, which frankly I didn't like.

This book has some of the vulnerabilities of any attempt to quilt short stories together into a novel. Some people can manage this, others have more difficulty. This was one of the more awkward versi
Simon Mcleish
Sep 03, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Originally posted on my blog here in September 2000.

To Ride Pegasus is not only an early McCaffrey novel which has now become the first of a series, it is also in fact a collection of four novellas, three of which had been previously published. They are all about what might happen if telepathic powers of various kinds were proven scientifically, and the early problems of an institute formed to develop and exploit these powers and protect those who possess them.

There certainly doesn't appear to h
Kathleen Dixon
Jun 26, 2011 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
This book (my copy anyway) has a very misleading picture on the cover. The picture is of a flying horse on top of a very craggy mountain. The picture is in the same style as those on the covers of the Dragons of Pern books that I've just been reading, and so one would be justified in assuming that the content of this also contained fabulous mythical beasts.

Don't judge a book by its cover!

In this case, Pegasus is an analogy. "Henry Dallow said that having any Talent is like riding a winged horse,
Callista Hunter
Sep 19, 2015 Callista Hunter rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh, how I adored this book and its sequel as a teen. I just thought Henry Darrow, Daffyd op Owen and the gang were the coolest, best people that I'd want to hang out with any day.

It's quite a shock to come back and revisit this book at 30, in the year 2015, when sensibilities have progressed light years ahead of Anne's time and now I'm old enough to think critically about what I'm reading.

We have to remember this book was released in 1973 (and takes place in Anne McCaffrey's vision of t
Erin
I don't know if her non Pern books just are too dated now, or if the audiobook was too dated, or if I just am not a fan anymore.

This was one I had never read before, so I don't know the answer to any of the above questions.

I'm not sure if I liked it or not.

It rather felt like Anne doesn't like women in this book, even though it is supposed to be all about strong women. I can forgive her a lot, since she was born in a very different time than I was, and a different place. Hell Ireland today is st
David
Dec 16, 2016 David rated it really liked it
What a strange publication. The blurb on GoodReads and Amazon as taken from the paperback edition is a little misleading as to the thrust of the four stories contained in the book. All the stories have a predominantly male lead, although the first has probably a paired lead of a man and a woman. This is not what the blurb suggests.

The first story is set, I believe, several decades prior to the following three. It's a collection of short stories presaging the main story line of the Talents Univer
Jess Neuner
The first in the Talent saga, To Ride Pegasus reads more like a collection of short stories, each revolving around a different set of characters with a different plot and problem to solve. What ties them together is an overarching story of the 'talented', the psychics, the telepaths, the telekinetics, as they figure out their place in the world and the ramifications of trying to use their power for good as well as dealing with the people who fear them. It was written in the 1970s, and there are ...more
Teresa
Jul 03, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it
As the first in the extended 'Talent' series by Anne McCaffrey, this is a must read. This novel, along with the two other Pegasus novels, make up a prequel series to "The Rowan" and "Damia." This double series takes place in Earth's future, as opposed to some other planet. It is actually a series of novellas that are interconnected, and published together.

All the stories revolve around extraordinary women with psychic or extrasensory perceptions. These 'powers' have been scientifically proven th
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The People of Pern
  • Renunciates of Darkover (Darkover Series)
  • Bedlam's Bard (Bedlam's Bard, #1-2)
  • Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Margarets
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
  • Quicksilver's Knight (Warlock's Heirs, #2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

The Talent (3 books)
  • Pegasus in Flight (The Talent, #2)
  • Pegasus in Space (The Talent, #3)