Start by marking “Ask a Midwife” as Want to Read:
Ask a Midwife

Ask a Midwife

Here are answers to every kind of question, from the practical ("I'm really overweight-is it safe to diet while I'm pregnant?") to the emotional (I want to go back to work as soon as possible after I give birth-but will it affect my baby?). Mothers-to-be will benefit from the expert yet compassionate advice to questions they may feel uncomfortable asking their doctor, such ...more
Published July 21st 2008 by DK

To ask other readers questions about Ask a Midwife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ask a Midwife

Carissa
Feb 03, 2012 Carissa rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-books
This book was all Q & A based on the stages of pregnancy, labor, birth and postnatal care. I didn't find it to be midwife-centered. It actually talked about hospital birth as the norm instead of a birth center or home birth.

Notes:

Do not eat foods that could contain listeria such as pate, unwashed salads, raw milk and blue-veined or mold-ripened cheeses (feta, chevre, camembert, brie, queso blanco fresco). The cheese can be eaten if they are cooked through and hot. Eat a well-balanced diet. A
Mallory
Jun 25, 2013 Mallory rated it liked it
This book is a basis primer for all those questions that want to be mamas, soon to be mamas, or new mamas might google. Alas the majority of the information can also be found on their website www.midwivesonline.com, whether of not your search engine of choice directs you there.

The organization of the book is linear. Starting with, "Trying for a Baby" through pregnancy, postnatal care, and ending with, "A New Life." The content is such that most pregnant women will be familiar with the majority:
Sarah Delacueva
Dec 06, 2013 Sarah Delacueva rated it really liked it
This was one of the first pregnancy books I read. Since I have opted to work with midwives rather than an ob/gyn, I appreciated that the approach the book took was typically a holistic one focused on minimal intervention and expectant-mother advocacy. I thought the tone of the book was very approachable. It was written mostly in a question-and-answer format and the answers were easy to understand.

The only reason I deducted a star is that the Q&A format wouldn't make it the easiest book to u
Asha Carlos
Jan 12, 2013 Asha Carlos rated it really liked it
Ask A Midwife is an excellent read for new parents or even second time parents as it answers various questions from the time you are trying for a baby, through pregnancy to life after baby. Experienced midwives share their professional advice and wisdom by answering more than a thousand questions. These questions and answers are short and precise with ample of photos and illustrations for easy understanding. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and could not put it down as the questions were ...more
Lory
Nov 12, 2010 Lory rated it it was amazing
This was a great question & answer book. It would be particularly helpful to first time moms- been there, done that moms might not get quite as much out of it. I do agree with another poster that some of the questions are a bit, "Wow... how do you not already know the answer to that?" but having spent time on Babycenter.com and seeing some of the bewilderingly naive moms-to-be on there, I'm glad there's a book that has those questions & answers for them.
Emma
May 11, 2015 Emma rated it liked it
I picked up this book at a used book store after finding out I'm pregnant for the first time. It's written in an accessible style, although the responses to some of the questions are not super in-depth. Since I'm a first-timer, a lot of times I don't even know what questions I should be asking, so I've found it useful to give me a starting point for asking questions to my doctor and for Googling in order to find out more information.
Amanda
Oct 06, 2009 Amanda rated it it was ok
This book was very well written and had very thorough answers. However, I found myself asking, "Do people really ask these questions?" I think this book is probably good for young, first time moms or women who haven't had a lot of experience around pregnant women or babies.
Kara Owens
Oct 13, 2008 Kara Owens is currently reading it
Shelves: mama-and-baby
I think all new mamas-to-be will benefit from this book's inviting and comforting Q&A format. Also, midwives can offer a perspective that's warm and nurturing without the over-medicalized frenzy that some hospitals & doctors may be prone to give you.
Rachel Maxwell
Jul 01, 2013 Rachel Maxwell rated it liked it
Some interesting stuff but seeing as I'm on number four not much I didn't know. Just some good info for a new birth plan
Emily Jones
May 22, 2012 Emily Jones rated it really liked it
Definitely a supplemental book, but I really liked it for the quick bites of information and photos. Glad I read it.
Saliha
Jan 05, 2015 Saliha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pregnancy
It was very helpful.
Anji
Anji rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2011
Jennifer Choisser
Jennifer Choisser rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2010
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2009
Lucian-paul Torje
Lucian-paul Torje rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Brigid
Jul 04, 2009 Brigid rated it it was ok
Very biased against lay midwives.
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2011
Arahyacinth
Arahyacinth rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2009
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2009
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Shawna
Shawna rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Laurel
Mar 03, 2013 Laurel rated it liked it
Not exactly what I expected from a "midwife" point of view. Still a helpful pregnancy book.
Louise Brown
Louise Brown rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2010
Charity
Jun 24, 2014 Charity rated it liked it
Informative and good for answering specific questions, not an overview of pregnancy in general.
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2009