Start by marking “The Atlantis Gene (The Origin Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Atlantis Gene (The Origin Mystery, #1)

The Atlantis Gene (The Origin Mystery #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  36,422 Ratings  ·  2,642 Reviews
THE GREATEST MYSTERY OF ALL TIME...
THE HISTORY OF HUMAN ORIGINS...
WILL BE REVEALED.
_______________________________

70,000 years ago, the human race almost went extinct.
We survived, but no one knows how.
Until now.
The countdown to the next stage of human evolution is about to begin, and humanity may not survive this time.
_______________________________

The Immari are good at
Published May 4th 2013 (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Atlantis Gene, please sign up.

Gwyn Huff I I just finished reading The Atlantis Gene. I've been reading at this story for a long time. I am inexplicably drawn to the story and I have to read…moreI I just finished reading The Atlantis Gene. I've been reading at this story for a long time. I am inexplicably drawn to the story and I have to read it again. The story is addicting. The flu epidemic of 1914? What? The human is to develop Immunity from a machine? HE is her father? What? Yes, save the children, yes save the children. A time travel journal? Maybe??? What does that secret coded message mean? This is a great book. I know it. But as I said I just finished it. My brain has turned to gelatin. I "started" it again last night-audio book-and finished this morning. I want to throw the author a ticker tape parade or throw pies and scream what???? Wow! What a ride! Bravo!(less)

Nitin Arora
Aug 04, 2013 Nitin Arora rated it did not like it
A good plot badly written. I don't mean to be harsh but that's how it is. The book felt like reading a movie script instead of a novel. The scenes are too rushed at times, and the scenery abruptly changes, too fast (just like present day TV action series), and so many chapters just makes it more cluttered and confusing. Scenes are not clearly explained in my view, and it was very hard to visualize what was going on.

The story is a typical sci-fi and has nothing to offer out of the box. It is jus
Candace
Overly Complicated

Lately, I've had pretty good luck with exploring different genres. Unfortunately, this book missed the mark for me. Listening to the audiobook was a confusing endeavor, despite the fact that the narration was actually pretty good. There was just way too much going on with this story.

'The Atlantis Gene' was a very complex Sci-Fi story with a plethora of characters. Every time I thought I had a good grasp of who everyone was, and what their motives were, something new would come
Rachel
Dec 06, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not one to go back and modify my reviews (out of sight, and all), but I think there is some confusion about this one. I want to start out by stating that I love this book. Amazon Prime is clunky and I feel so lucky that I stumbled on this book, because the book itself is well crafted. I could easily suspend my disbelief for the duration, and the characters were likeable/unlikeable when they were supposed to be.

I love Sci-Fi, which is the general category that I would put this book in, with
Josh Rollins
Dec 12, 2013 Josh Rollins rated it it was ok
Shelves: failed
This book has a promising *suggestion* of a plot, which is why I gave it two starts. I gave up on it 38% in. It is written like a cheap action movie, not like a book, and feels as if Mr. Riddle never had any beta readers for this story. The author try to throw everything but the kitchen sink at you: Atlantis, aliens, secret brotherhoods and conspiracies, codes, ultimate good and ultimate evil, Nazis, and the list goes on.

It seems Mr. Riddle was inspired by Dan Brown, but even Dan Brown started
Rayana
Feb 23, 2014 Rayana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I deserve an award for being able to finish this book. Honestly.

The plot had everything to attract me: genetic experiments, Greek myths and lost cities, evil Nazi conspiracies, even references to my own country. Yet, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how an author could accumulate all these fantastic ideas and deliver such a horrible story.

At numerous times, all I wanted to do was stop reading and delete the book from my kindle, but I kept going, hoping the author would redeem himself and
Andy Rice
Mar 08, 2014 Andy Rice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can count on one hand the number of books I willfully put down before finishing, and this is one of them. I honestly tried (and even got through 73%, according to my Kindle), but it just got more painful. The plot is painfully contrived to the point where it seems the author just tosses in mystery and science fiction cliches and hopes they stick (Atlantis and aliens and evil corporations and Nazis and the list goes on), without any effort to weave them into the story.

The writing is cringe-wor
Bookworm123
The Atlantis Gene drew me in from the start. This book is extremely fast-paced, almost like watching a movie. Great story line and characters. I especially loved the character development of Kate and David. I think the book does a good job of revealing back story without over doing it. A lot of books I read get bogged down in details and I lose interest but not this book.

I caught myself looking up details from the book and found the author's website to have a great fact vs fiction section (atlan
Ira
Mar 08, 2014 Ira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-junk
This book has everything. Almost literally. Nazis,time travel, Atlantis, a mystical spear that was used to stab Jesus, secret portals that let you walk from Gibralter to Antarctica, space monkeys, miniature nuclear weapons that can be created in days and placed in a 5 year old's backpack, world wide plagues, neanderthals, genetic engineering, gun fights, love stories, crazy plot twists, the Spanish flu, magical potions that cure all wounds and ills, characters with massive Freudian complexes, lo ...more
Myla
Oct 09, 2013 Myla rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. 489 pages of times when I stayed up until 2 in the morning with my eyes glued to my Kindle screen. 489 pages of when I'd be at work and frantically wanting to fangirl and wondering if anyone could see how excited I was.

That's when you know a novel has captivated you with its story. I stumbled upon the book on Amazon, read the description, and thought, "Hm. A sci-fi novel with its own creation theory that involves Atlantis? This must be good." Every minute I had, every break I gained,
Daniel
I will not insult any reader of this DNF review by not disclosing the fact that I simply could not connect with this book and the style in which it was written. Thus, I did not finish it and after only 50 pages decided to put it down. So I will not offer any serious critique other than a rationale as to why I did not connect with it. If you find this annoying, i agree with you, yet as my least favorite saying goes: it is what it is (totally lame, because we all know it is what it is until its no ...more
Greg Tymn
Aug 10, 2013 Greg Tymn rated it really liked it
The first word that came to mind after finishing this novel was "Ambitious".

Perhaps a bit too amibitious. There were many sub-plots requiring a set of characters or at least name changes for the characters. There were interesting people (the boy in the monastery) who were brought in, seemed pleasant, and then forgotten. Then there was the main trunk of the story line....or was it? And we see all these tubes with Atlanteans, but we fail to have any description of what they look like.

So....while I
Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2013 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
I borrowed this book for free using the Kindle Lending Library. While I gave this book 1 star, I think this author has potential. The overall concept was ok, but the work just felt unpolished. The sci-fi aspects were well explained, and the plot was fast paced, but the dialogue was cringe worthy. I think in an effort to explain the science but keep the pace moving the author sacrificed character development. My main problem with the book is I couldn't care less what happened to any of the people ...more
Timothy Miyahara
The Origin Mystery trilogy is four stars or near to it. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I read all three books before writing the reviews, and I gave the first book in the series, The Atlantis Gene four stars. There is something for everyone in this trilogy. Imagine Robin Cook, Frederick Forsyth, Michael Crichton and Ursula K. Le Guin getting together to spin a yarn.

The trilogy has its flaws, so I'd qualify the recommendation by stating it's for readers of the science fiction and
Teresa Dennis
Feb 02, 2015 Teresa Dennis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No, no, no. Don't be misled by four thousand five star reviews on Amazon. Don’t do it. Don't read this book unless...

Unless you thought the Da Vinci Code is a prime example of Great Literature and unless you're a devout follower of the History Channel's Crazy Hair Guy. The Atlantis Gene takes about a hundred plot bits - everything from Indiana Jones-type evil Nazis to 9-11 and Roswell to James Bond spies cross and double crosses, plus the Biblical Flood, Atlantis, eugenics, an Ebola-like flu, an
Dennis Fahey
May 08, 2014 Dennis Fahey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really simple, plot incomprehensible

Really simple, plot incomprehensible

Thankfully I didnt pay a cent for this, but I did waste my monthlly Amazon Prime freebie loaner book for the month on it. This book is poorly done on every level. period. It's poorly written, it stereotypes Indonesians, Chinese...it jumps around from page to page with no rhyme or reason. I made it to 25 percent, but knew after a couple chapters that I was wasting my time.
I have no earthly idea how so many have given 5 stars
Timothy Miyahara

Mike Nemeth
May 05, 2013 Mike Nemeth rated it it was amazing
Author A.G. Riddle inaugural novel starts out pretty fast. Make that somewhat insanely fast. He throws things at the reader in rapid succession. But stick with it and pay attention. Comprehension will dawn. The characters begin to make sense and A.G. revisits everything. Every little plot twist gets attention. All the elements he packs into the beginning of the mystery will make sense. The grand scheme begins to make a little too much sense, making me wonder if there isn't some kind of Immari or ...more
Jessica Kayuha
I always hate to criticize an indie author's first published work. I know some of what it's like to put yourself out there for the public to notice and critique, and it's not an easy thing to do. So, first, kudos to the author for finishing and publishing.

The concept behind this story is intriguing. While I think he's going off a bad idea of the Atlantis myth, he at least goes all in with it. And the science behind things, to my non-studied brain, seemed plausible and I didn't find myself rollin
Karen
Aug 29, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
This was a debut novel for this author, and boy, could I tell. Talk about overloading your book with topics! This book included such diverse subjects as several religions, evolution and Darwinism, autism, and then tried to combine genres of books as well such as mystery with almost James Bond type action, as well as turning this into a piece of science fiction. It was kind of as if the author was trying to set this up for a movie...but I don't see that coming, simply because this was way too bus ...more
Raeden Zen
A.G. Riddle seamlessly combined several genres, including historical fiction, mystery, science fiction, and romance in THE ATLANTIS GENE.

The novel began intriguingly with a dig in Antarctica and a kidnapping in Indonesia then moves around the world from Southeast Asia to China to Europe and back to Asia and Antarctica. The plot revolves around geneticist Kate Warner and counter-terrorism specialist David Vale, who are in a race against time to take down a global syndicate hell bent on killing t
Colin Barnes
Started off with a strong prologue but I felt the super short chapters and constant cutting from one thing to another always kept me at a distance and I never really got that involved with the story. Although a fairly simple plot, it became quickly convoluted for my taste.

I'm in the minority as it's clearly a well received book, but I just found the 'As you know bob' style of delivering exposition via dialogue a little forced, and with the constant cutting between short chapters it felt like a
Ed Morawski
Jan 08, 2014 Ed Morawski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man! An amazing book I couldn't put down (and at 488 pages that's a long thrill ride).

A little bit sci-fi, a little bit mystery, suspense, thriller, and even historical fiction - it's all here and not only kept me on the edge of my seat but kept me guessing where it was going.

This story has some of the most ruthless villains (or are they?) and the author is ruthless in his own way too, not afraid to kill off one character after another just as you get to know them.

Don't really understand some of
William Davis
May 25, 2013 William Davis rated it it was amazing
If the legend of Atlantis fascinates you, if you’re interested in the possible origins of the human species, and if you love a good thriller, the Atlantis Gene is the book for you. Throw in some historical oddities and two warring factions fighting for the future of the human race and you get a potboiler that is extremely entertaining and hard to put down.

As an independent novelist myself, I know how hard it is to get noticed. The Atlantis Gene should be noticed and appreciated for the deftness
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

Not too bad, hard to follow at times, but over all caught my attention. Figured it would get better with each book as the story progresses.

Listened to the audio book for the most part and was pretty good.

If your into sci-fi then this may be something you will like. Has some technical stuff that was a little over my head, and science stuff, etc.

Lisa
Nov 13, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
................hmmmmm...... still scratching my head on this one. Imagine, evolution, Nazii's, apocolypse, gynetic stem cell research, Autism,pandemic, Extinction, time traveling, war and a world wide hunt for an answer....... Yeah.... not quite was I was expecting. This story was good but I didn't follow quite what was going on until the last 20 chapters or so. I am not sure if I am intrigued enough to continue the series.
Leni  (Dog Eared Book)
Nov 19, 2016 Leni (Dog Eared Book) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
All in all a good book.
I loved the science and evolution part that I miss in a lot of SciFi Novels (the scientific explanation why this sciffi scenario is happening - yes I'm a bit of a science nerd) but I thought a few things were pretty far fetshed.
I really liked David and am curious to find out how this story continues!
Cassandra
Aug 07, 2014 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It seriously has everything AND it flows well. I wish I could say more but I don't want to give anything away!! One of the few mystery books that I didn't have figured out within the first few chapters. Seriously, read this book.
John Nicholson
Jan 09, 2014 John Nicholson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: this is the same review I wrote on the Amazon site. This book is not yet available through Audible, but the author has a contract with them for the first two books in the series.

I am almost always working on three to five books at a time. I found this debut novel a major page turner, and was unable to read another book while I was immersed in this one. I almost never read a self-published novel. I'm a slow reader, and just don't have time to do a lot of experimental reading. However, in w
Chad
Apr 22, 2013 Chad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins, owned
Thanks to Firstreads and the author for my free copy of this fantastic book.

I have this thing about "thrillers". They have to be thrilling. This book definitely lives up to the name. This is one of the best books that I have read this year! I read a lot of thrillers and this one is definitely on par with something by James Rollins or Steve Berry and to think it was independently published! Indie authors are where it's at these days and A.G. Riddle (pseudonym? sure sounds like it to me.) has "it"
Jasmin
Feb 23, 2016 Jasmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe einige Zeit gebraucht um mich in die Thematik einzulesen, aber dann wurde es richtig interessant und packend. Besonders gefallen hat mir, dass man so viel mitdenken und mitknobeln kann und sich mit der Zeit so viel erschließt - wie ein Rätsel.

Jetzt bin ich aber ziemlich gepackt und gespannt auf den zweiten Teil - Cliffhanger sind einfach ne fiese Sache...
  • Mind's Eye
  • Breakthrough
  • The Belial Stone (Belial #1)
  • CyberStorm
  • Atlantis (Atlantis, #1)
  • Carpathian (Event Group Thriller #8)
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Season One
  • Molly Fyde and the Fight for Peace (The Bern Saga, #4)
  • Melt Down (Breakers, #2)
  • Gorgon (Alex Hunter, #5)
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • The Guardian
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
  • Atlantis Gate (Atlantis, #4)
  • Immortality
A.G. Riddle spent ten years starting internet companies before retiring to pursue his true passion: writing fiction.

His debut novel, The Atlantis Gene, is the first book in The Origin Mystery, the trilogy that has sold a million copies in the US, is being translated into 19 languages, and is in development at CBS Films to be a major motion picture. The trilogy will be in bookstores (in hardcover a
More about A.G. Riddle...

The Origin Mystery (3 books)
  • The Atlantis Plague (The Origin Mystery, #2)
  • The Atlantis World (The Origin Mystery, #3)

“Here’s a tip. The good guys ask you to get in the truck. The bad guys put a black bag over your head and throw you in the truck. I’m asking.” 30 likes
“Science lacks something very important that religion provides: a moral code. Survival of the fittest is a scientific fact, but it is a cruel ethic; the way of beasts, not a civilized society. Laws can only take us so far, and they must be based upon something—a shared moral code that rises from something. As that moral foundation recedes, so will society’s values.” 12 likes