Start by marking “Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed: Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism” as Want to Read:
Open Preview read book

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Jeannie grew up with autism, but no one around her knew it. Twirling Naked in the Streets will take you on a journey into the mind of a child on the autism spectrum; a child who grows into an adolescent, an adult, and becomes a wife, mother, student, and writer with autism.

This is a gripping memoir of a quirky, weird, but gifted child who grows up never quite finding her...more
Published April 11th 2013 by David and Goliath Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

Nothing Is Right by Michael Scott Monje Jr.No You Don't by Sparrow Rose JonesTwirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed by Jeannie Davide-RiveraLoud Hands by Julia BascomI Think I Might Be Autistic by Cynthia Kim
Neurodiversity Books
3rd out of 62 books — 57 voters
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonLook Me in the Eye by John Elder RobisonBeyond the Austic Plateau - A Parent's Story and Practical He... by Stephen PitmanAutism - What Do You Need To Know? A Parent's Guide To Autism... by Raymond Le BlancAutism & Asperger's Syndrome in Layman's Terms. Your Guide to... by Raymond Le Blanc
autism: fiction AND non-fiction
8th out of 84 books — 103 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane McBride
This is a compelling memoir by Jeannie Davide-Rivera telling her story about growing up with undiagnosed Aspergers, which is a form of high functioning autism. As an adult, she finally got a diagnosis that pretty much explained her entire life in a nutshell. When my son was diagnosed at age three and I started learning all I could about autism, I was astounded-not at his diagnosis, but at the realization that I had it, too. I have never been diagnosed, but don't feel I need it at this point. Jea...more
Mark Rivera
This book is poignant and honest. The writer has a writing voice that puts you in the room with her, and makes you feel like you are actually there.

The release of this book, right during Autism Awareness Month, is right on time.

This isn't a book of someone whining or waving their hand saying look at me...it's a someone saying "Hey! You could be missing the signs! Does this sound familiar? Maybe you should look harder!"

It's an honest statement that holds out hope to people who may be on the Auti...more
Julie Jackson
I was born in 1979, before the idea of Autism being a disorder with a spectrum. I always knew I was different than everyone around me, but never could pinpoint why. My son was diagnosed 3 years ago with PDD-NOS and I became an Inclusion Kindergarten teacher and thus began my introduction to the world of Autism. Through my son and my students I began to see myself. I knew something else was going on above being AD/HD and having anxiety. So I got tested too...At 34, I just learned I have Asperger'...more
Anna

Twirling Naked in the Streets is an autobiography about growing up as a girl with undiagnosed autism.

The story unfolds in a straightforward manner that makes it easy to follow along and relate to the ways the young girl's quirks, hypersensitivities and presumed princess manners cause social friction, bewilderment and hostility in her near surroundings.

It is a lonely story, a path of misunderstandings and mysterious dysfunctions into an ever more complicated adult world where the alienation seem...more
Tiffany
Jeannie couldn't understand why her kindergarten teacher bothered teaching the class to read when they all knew how to read. Why are they teaching multiplication when the class already know this stuff? Why did she get an "F" on a math test simply because she didn't show her work - the answer was right, after all. Her parents (and most adults in her life) thought she was an extremely difficult child. Jeannie didn't realize there was a reason she was different. At 38 years of age, she received her...more
Kim
Nov 11, 2013 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, kindle
I found this book fascinating. It was written by a lady who grew up without being diagnosed with autism until she had her own children. Some of the ways she described things and the reason these things happen really struck a chord with watching my own daughter struggle.
GarageNinja1
I loved this book. Its a wonderful inside look at aspergers, autism. Very informative, your inside her life from childhood to adult. Her trials and tribulations. Awesome read!
Ariel
I'm so grateful to have a read a book that I can relate to on such a deep, emotional level.

~~~~all quotes~~~~~

"I loved my books; all my friends lived within their pages. My friends often lived inside my books, and the television set."

"I felt like an earthling walking in the midst of a sea of Martians. Today, I feel like I am from another planet."

"I didn't understand the odd stares, or know to feel left out when children didn't play with me. I was simply happy playing in my own world without anyo...more
C.S.
I really enjoyed this book. It starts off with the author talking about her childhood, into her teenage years and then as an adult.

I really identified with many things Jeannie wrote about. Truthfully, I don't remember much about how I was a child. I am told things, but due to many things, my memories are few and far between.

About 39% through, Jeannie talks about school - and math. Now, I was always a great student. I LOVED school - it was an escape from my home life and I excelled at it. I'm not...more
Kim
This book was an excellent read and would be particularly helpful to any adult who thinks they may be autistic or considering undergoing a diagnosis. The author relates her own experiences of growing up with undiagnosed autism against the diagnostic criteria for ASD. She describes with clarity the difficulties she experienced and the barriers she overcame. The complex language of the diagnostic criteria is explained in accessible terms & supported by clear examples. There is a paucity of res...more
Cathy Hall
TWIRLING NAKED IN THE STREETS was an eye-opening read for me. From Jeannie’s earliest memories of childhood as a somewhat happy, free-to-be-me (yet definitely quirky and particular) preschooler to her journey as an adult who finally understood the years of depression, years of job-hopping, the years of trying to be like everyone else (and miserably failing), I learned something about Asperger’s on every page.

And I thought of all the people out there–the ones with Asperger’s, or Obsessive-Compuls...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Since my SS has Asperger's and my sorority's philanthropy is Autism Speaks, I thought it would be interesting to read a book by a woman that wasn't diagnosed until 38. I could relate somewhat since my SS wasn't diagnosed until 17. I thought the book was well written, although it seemed to ramble at times. I thought the author did a great job of explaining some of the aspects of the disorder and looking back, I can see a lot of these things in my SS even today.

I was surprised when reading the bo...more
Katrina Sutton
*Good Reads Winner*
I am so excited to receive a copy of Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed: Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism! I can't wait for it to arrive!

Twirling Naked in the Streets was a delightful read. Autism runs in my family and so whenever I get a chance to read about the subject in any way, I can't pass it up. As I read further into the book, page by page, I was able to understand and relate where Jeannie was coming from. My child has Asperger's himself along with Sens...more
Sally
I enjoyed every word of this book. I highlighted, I read aloud to people, and I checked her blog. She writes well and clearly, and I found no spelling errors, typos, or words out of place.

It is a description of her early life; undiagnosed, confused and unable to come to terms with the world. She writes clearly, and helped me to view my own life, and that of my children and grandchildren with greater clarity.

One of the more difficult points, for me, was the reaction of her medical team, all of wh...more
Casey Kiser
**"We thought we had a little genius on our hands," my mother said, "but you were just a little bitch." That is the way my mother described me.**

Jeannie's memoir of growing up completely misunderstood is told with irresistible humor, wit and honesty that will cut you to the core and open your heart. Wonderful and moving book. Also a tremendously informative piece on Asperger's Syndrome. Recommended for all!
Roseanne
I really enjoyed this book, to be able to read some of the early signs of autism and asperger's syndrome was very informative and eye opening. My heart broke for her as she was telling the story and how people didn't "get" her even her parents. I do have some family and friends who have children and grandchildren who have autism and now when I am with them I will be able to hopefully understand and communicate with them better.
I would recommend this book as an easy to read primer on this subjec...more
Chris
I picked this book up on a whim, and I'm glad I did.
The subject and author's personal perspective intrigued me and when I was done reading it, I couldn't help but feel a great deal of empathy toward her.
Her story is that of struggle and wishing for more people to understand her, and in that she did amazing things with this book.
It took me a while to read because, admittedly, I'd often have to put it down as I was overwhelmed with sympathy for her. I ached inside as I'd read her struggles and oft...more
This book is an autobiography of a girl growing up with undiagnosed Asperger Syndrome in the 1980s. Her style of writing makes you feel like you are right there with her. This book made me laugh and cry. Her description helped me to get a better understanding of my own son with AS. If you care about someone with AS this is a must read.
Teresa Williams
Having worked as a para-educator for special needs children, autism interested me. That is what made me choose to read this book. As a mother of several ADHD children, I also recognize some of the hypo/hyper sensitivities from personal experience. I think that understanding these, as well as other fairly common 'disabilities', helps us to cope better not only with others around us, but even with our own uniqueness.
This book was very informative and descriptive, and I would definitely recommend i...more
Karyn Schulz
Wow! This book is better than any text can be about Aspergers. I see so many of the students I've worked with over the years and feel i have a much deeper understanding of how they interact with others and with themselves. I highly recommend this to anyone who wishes to learn more about Aspergers. Well written and very enlightening! An award also needs to goes to the author's husband. His true love for his wife kept him with her despite not knowing her diagnosis.
Dee-Ann
Loved it. Well written and easy to read. I had many ah ha moments when reading this, especially when thinking of my sons and others around us.Especially those sections on routines, hypersensitivity, being unable to recognise faces, factual thinking and more. I could empathise with those people around her (eg. family, classmates, employes etc .. and at the same time see where she was coming from and how it was unchangeable .. a bit like the rain ...
Laura of Lurking
I found this a very touching read, it was presented in a very frank manner and yet showed life perfectly. I really felt for the woman as she explained the many missed opportunities and wrong diagnoses that made her life harder.

Thank you for writing this eye opening book, and sharing. I am glad thing have improved for people on the autistic spectrum since the author was a child.
amy haug
Great Book

This book helped me to understand my son better, and helped me realize how important it will be to explain his autism to him.
Katie
I recommend everyone read this book! We all know or love someone on the autism spectrum, whether we (or they for that matter) know it or not. This is my first real insight into what its like to be in their head, and if I could meet Jeannie personally, I would thank her for sharing.
Emmaly Little
No longer a mystery

It is one of the most enlightening books I have read, especially for girls. Also, gives hope. I would like more books written that is this uninformative.
Kerri Harris
What an eye opening read! I work in a nursery and have always had a interest in Autistic children, the book was very interesting and has made me want to learn as much as I can. Booking a course ASAP!
Valerie Stonesifer
I liked this book a lot, but it made me wonder if most of the people I know have Asperger's. That can't be true, right? I *think* we're just quirky introverts.
Michelle Dion
Made me ready and then jump for joy. Jeannine had quite the road and you can feel her heartbreak and the her joy. So glad to have travelled this road with her.
Julia Stephenson
This is a heart wrenching biography about the authors life growing up with undiagnosed autism.
Michelle
Definitely eye-opening makes you wonder how many adults are going through life undiagnosed.
  • Chris Will... The Story of a Boy and Autism Unawareness
  • Anelisse: A True Story of Child Abuse
  • Wide Awake and Dreaming: A Memoir
  • The Reality Slap: Finding Peace and Fulfillment When Life Hurts
  • Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome
  • Cheaper Than Therapy: How To Forgive and Overcome Anger, Anxiety, Fear and Stress
Jeannie Davide-Rivera is an award-winning author (Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed; Growing Up with Undiagnosed Autism), the autism category expert writer for answers.com, a writer for Autism Parenting Magazine, The Thinking Person’s Guide to Autism, and a professional blogger with Asperger’s Syndrome. Growing up with undiagnosed autism, and now raising three ASD children gives her...more
More about Jeannie Davide-Rivera...
Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed: Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed; Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism

“My colors ran all over the page, poured out of the lines and meshed together to form colors no one had yet recognized. I was different–unique, bold, strong, smart, and hard-headed. I was simply me.” 3 likes
“that accompany this condition—the lack of theory of mind, executive dysfunction, and weak central coherence. There are also a host of other issues like sensory processing difficulties—being hyper or hypo sensitive to outside stimuli like to heat, cold, or pain.” 0 likes