The Constant Heart

The Constant Heart

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Rebecca Shaw gave her heart once and had it broken. Now she is betrothed to the Reverend Philip Everett and is looking forward to a quiet, worthy life. But Christopher Sinclair is back--and he is free of the marriage that gave him fabulous wealth at the price of leaving Rebecca behind.
Paperback, Signet Regency Romance, 221 pages
Published July 7th 1987 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Constant Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Constant Heart

tacitus
First, let me explain the one star. This book is very well written, the characters are realistic, and the story is unique. The reason I had to give the book one star is because it pissed me off like none other. Unbelievable! Mary Balogh has a tendency of screwing over her characters in the most fantastic ways imaginable, but this really takes the cake. And in classic Balogh fashion, the character getting totally screwed over (usually the heroine) takes everything with so much poise and good natu...more
Ana T.
Another one of Balogh's oldies The Constant Heart tells the story of Rebecca Shaw, a young woman who suffered a big disappointment a few years before when her beau tells her that he is marrying a rich heiress he met in town and leaving her behind. Now she is engaged to be married to the village Reverend but the return of the man who betrayed her, now a rich widower, does make her heart feel divided.

Besides her disappointment with him Rebecca keeps hearing about how Christopher mistreated his wi...more
Linda
Early Mary Balogh and with a vicar as one of the main romantic characters I was worried this would be a little too pious for me. I'll admit to being wrong, this was a mishmash of couples and non-couples and circumstances that dovetail nicely at the end.

All the grand passion is implied here and at least at the start, you're not sure who will end up with whom at the end. Interesting lessons on how people valued education as more for the middle to upper classes and rarely for girls of any class.

Thi...more
Tina
As always wonderfully written by the queen of regency, however, I just couldn't get into this story. Since we don't see the hero's POV, I thought this book mainly frustrating and dull.

Heroine: plain Jane, devoted to teaching
Hero: beta
Sex scenes: none
Ana
I did not like this. Christopher should have groveled more. There was really no excuse for what he did. The ending was not satisfying at all! There should have been an epilogue. Bummer!
Janet
Again, Balogh always worth reading but this is a rather sad book. So many years apart, altho the reader does understand why the h/h make the decisions they do.
Michael
I remember thinking this one was okay, but I don't remember much about it.
Is369
Is369 is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
Lin
Lin marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Hope Szabo
Hope Szabo marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Sneezep
Sneezep marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
April Dykes
April Dykes marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
TFitz
TFitz marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Katheline Schmitt
Katheline Schmitt marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl...more
More about Mary Balogh...
Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6) Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1) A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2) First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintet #1) Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)