The Constant Heart

The Constant Heart

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Rebecca Shaw gave her heart once and had it broken. Now she is betrothed to the Reverend Philip Everett and is looking forward to a quiet, worthy life. But Christopher Sinclair is back--and he is free of the marriage that gave him fabulous wealth at the price of leaving Rebecca behind.
Paperback, Signet Regency Romance, 221 pages
Published July 7th 1987 by Signet

tacitus
First, let me explain the one star. This book is very well written, the characters are realistic, and the story is unique. The reason I had to give the book one star is because it pissed me off like none other. Unbelievable! Mary Balogh has a tendency of screwing over her characters in the most fantastic ways imaginable, but this really takes the cake. And in classic Balogh fashion, the character getting totally screwed over (usually the heroine) takes everything with so much poise and good natu...more
Ana T.
Another one of Balogh's oldies The Constant Heart tells the story of Rebecca Shaw, a young woman who suffered a big disappointment a few years before when her beau tells her that he is marrying a rich heiress he met in town and leaving her behind. Now she is engaged to be married to the village Reverend but the return of the man who betrayed her, now a rich widower, does make her heart feel divided.

Besides her disappointment with him Rebecca keeps hearing about how Christopher mistreated his wi...more
Linda
Early Mary Balogh and with a vicar as one of the main romantic characters I was worried this would be a little too pious for me. I'll admit to being wrong, this was a mishmash of couples and non-couples and circumstances that dovetail nicely at the end.

All the grand passion is implied here and at least at the start, you're not sure who will end up with whom at the end. Interesting lessons on how people valued education as more for the middle to upper classes and rarely for girls of any class.

Thi...more
Tina
As always wonderfully written by the queen of regency, however, I just couldn't get into this story. Since we don't see the hero's POV, I thought this book mainly frustrating and dull.

Heroine: plain Jane, devoted to teaching
Hero: beta
Sex scenes: none
Ana
I did not like this. Christopher should have groveled more. There was really no excuse for what he did. The ending was not satisfying at all! There should have been an epilogue. Bummer!
Janet
Again, Balogh always worth reading but this is a rather sad book. So many years apart, altho the reader does understand why the h/h make the decisions they do.
Michael
I remember thinking this one was okay, but I don't remember much about it.
Shanel
Shanel marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Gabriela
Gabriela marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Pa
Pa marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Michele Bolay
Michele Bolay marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Janelle Threlfall
Janelle Threlfall marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Sarahanna
Sarahanna marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Jessica Van Vleet
Jessica Van Vleet marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Mireya
Mireya added it
Dec 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl...more
More about Mary Balogh...
Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6) Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1) First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintet #1) A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2) Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)