Start by marking “The Constant Heart” as Want to Read:
The Constant Heart

The Constant Heart

Rebecca Shaw gave her heart once and had it broken. Now she is betrothed to the Reverend Philip Everett and is looking forward to a quiet, worthy life. But Christopher Sinclair is back--and he is free of the marriage that gave him fabulous wealth at the price of leaving Rebecca behind.
Paperback, Signet Regency Romance, 221 pages
Published July 7th 1987 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Constant Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Constant Heart

tacitus
Jul 27, 2013 tacitus rated it did not like it
First, let me explain the one star. This book is very well written, the characters are realistic, and the story is unique. The reason I had to give the book one star is because it pissed me off like none other. Unbelievable! Mary Balogh has a tendency of screwing over her characters in the most fantastic ways imaginable, but this really takes the cake. And in classic Balogh fashion, the character getting totally screwed over (usually the heroine) takes everything with so much poise and good natu ...more
Cc
Mar 05, 2017 Cc rated it it was ok
This very typical early Balogh. Well written and angsty, but very little in return for the readers emotions. All you get is the pain and no pleasure, but a lot of people like that, I guess.
Ana T.
Oct 16, 2010 Ana T. rated it liked it
Another one of Balogh's oldies The Constant Heart tells the story of Rebecca Shaw, a young woman who suffered a big disappointment a few years before when her beau tells her that he is marrying a rich heiress he met in town and leaving her behind. Now she is engaged to be married to the village Reverend but the return of the man who betrayed her, now a rich widower, does make her heart feel divided.

Besides her disappointment with him Rebecca keeps hearing about how Christopher mistreated his wi
Suzanne
Jun 29, 2017 Suzanne rated it it was ok
this was not exciting enough for me ....not enough interaction between the pair and quite frankly I can't believe what he did all those years ago and he let her believe he was a scoundrel....plus when she asks him directly ..why have you come ? he answers ... "I don't know" ....so in general it was too frustrating really to read about these two
Janet
Again, Balogh always worth reading but this is a rather sad book. So many years apart, altho the reader does understand why the h/h make the decisions they do.
Crystal
Nov 11, 2014 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-mayhem
I dont get this book. I read it because I wanted to be done with the series. I sorely missed Christopher's pov. It is weird. This book seemed like a mash between Persuasion (the second chance at love) and Pride & Prejudice (The George Wickham Syndrome) . And it was convenient how everything happened in the end.

I didnt like the explanation given by Chris. It doesnt matter. He chose money over love and in the end, got it all. He is a likeable guy, but that doesnt change anything. I would have
Linda
Feb 08, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Early Mary Balogh and with a vicar as one of the main romantic characters I was worried this would be a little too pious for me. I'll admit to being wrong, this was a mishmash of couples and non-couples and circumstances that dovetail nicely at the end.

All the grand passion is implied here and at least at the start, you're not sure who will end up with whom at the end. Interesting lessons on how people valued education as more for the middle to upper classes and rarely for girls of any class.

Thi
Monique Takens
Feb 15, 2015 Monique Takens rated it really liked it
After reading the 9 somewhat negative reviews I did not have high expectations of this book but I read it in 1 day and found it really engrossing .
In most books the heroine gives up everything for the sake of her family but Mary Balogh gives in this book that honour to the Hero and I liked him for it . And yes there was a bit of a George Wickham ( Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen ) feeling in it so what ?
Tina
As always wonderfully written by the queen of regency, however, I just couldn't get into this story. Since we don't see the hero's POV, I thought this book mainly frustrating and dull.

Heroine: plain Jane, devoted to teaching
Hero: beta
Sex scenes: none
Diana
Apr 26, 2012 Diana rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical
1.5
Ana
Dec 12, 2013 Ana rated it it was ok
I did not like this. Christopher should have groveled more. There was really no excuse for what he did. The ending was not satisfying at all! There should have been an epilogue. Bummer!
Lee Mccutcheon
Lee Mccutcheon rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2013
Pcch2345
Pcch2345 rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2017
David Smith
David Smith rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
Milica
Milica rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Judith Dasher
Judith Dasher rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Anagha
Anagha rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2013
Dy-an
Dy-an rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2012
Julie Wheeler
Julie Wheeler rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Jennifer Spiller
Jennifer Spiller rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2013
Tonya
Tonya rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2012
Brittney Weaver
Brittney Weaver rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Raj
Raj rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Neferetrose
Neferetrose rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2012
Ioana
Ioana rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Miki
Miki rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2011
Mimi
Mimi rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Regency Christmas V
  • One Good Turn (Nesbitt, #2)
  • A Change of Heart (Regency Rakes, #2)
  • Carousel of Hearts
  • A Regency Christmas
  • The Five-Minute Marriage
  • The Lord and the Gypsy (Sanguinet Saga, #3)
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • Good Earl Hunting
  • Lady Whilton's Wedding
  • Dedication
  • Sweet Masquerade
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • Elyza
  • Miss Jacobson's Journey (Rothschild Trilogy, #1)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh...