Start by marking “A Gift of Daisies” as Want to Read:
A Gift of Daisies

A Gift of Daisies

The impossible Mr. Gower

Lady Rachel Palmer was quite used to men falling helplessly in love with her. Every gentleman in aristocratic society, including her devoted fiancé, Lord Algernon Rivers, fell a willing victim to Rachel's dazzling beauty and bewitching charm.

Every gentleman, that is, except Lord Rivers' closest friend, the studiously unfashionable and splendidly han

Paperback, Signet Regency Romance, 223 pages
Published February 7th 1989 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about A Gift of Daisies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gift of Daisies

Evania
A week ago, if you had presented this book to me, I'd have said, "What? Me read and enjoy this?! Never!" Well, maybe I wouldn't have said so in such precise terms--this is Balogh, after all, whose works I've enjoyed for a long time--but I definitely would've been scratching my head and racking my brains as to why I'd like such a premise. I mean, a hero who's a vicar? A man of religion? ...Religion?

I have nothing against the Christian religion, of course. It's the proselytizing that gets to me. T
Ana T.
Jan 29, 2008 Ana T. rated it liked it
started this book with great expectations. So far I have always enjoyed Balogh’s traditional regencies and I was planning on loving this one too.

But this book is very different from all the others I’ve read before by her. First of all it has a strong religious side. The hero is a vicar and extremely dedicated to his good works and helping his poor parishioners. And then there’s the fact that the heroine is rich and noble and the hero is poor and a second son and it’s the heroine that asks the h
Bill
May 27, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
Mary Balogh's A Gift of Daisies is a 1991 book that is different from her other books. The hero is a vicar who wants to live a life of service to the poor and the heroine is a very beautiful woman who seems to be into a life of gaity and frivolity at the beginning of the book. She pretty much throws herself at the hero. He loves her but can't believe she would ever be happy living his chosen lifestyle. He has to learn to let her make that decision for herself and she has to learn that she needs ...more
Jacqueline
Aug 24, 2010 Jacqueline rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, regency
My least favorite Balogh. I don't like stories of people giving up money to somehow become a better, more "Christian" person. All giving up money gets you is poverty. I don't like having religion shoved down my throat. So if those things are what floats your boat, you'll probably love this one.
Jackie
Oct 03, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it
Balogh in an unusually religious mode. David Gower, a second son of a viscount, was bitter as an adolescent that he wasn't the first-born. But after discovering God while at Oxford, he's given up not only his bitterness, but also his somewhat wild ways. So when he meets giddy Lady Rachel Palmer while visiting London with his cousin before he takes up his first job as a minister, David is less than impressed. Rachel, vibrant and vivacious though she may be, does not seem to have a serious thought ...more
Amarilli Settantatre
Non tra quelli da ricordare. Non è scritto male, ma non amo i personaggi redenti sulla via di Damasco. Per fortuna, è un Regency, altrimenti Rachel e David avrebbero donato anche l'ultimo vestito ai poveri per imbarcarsi per qualche missione in Africa...
Troppo poco spazio alla seconda coppia Algy/Celia che era invece la mia preferita.
Sheri
Aug 05, 2011 Sheri rated it really liked it
My grade: B. This is an older regency and different than other Balogh books because of the inspirational focus. The book, as many of Balogh's are, is about the inner workings of a woman, Rachel. Rachel doesn't really understand herself, doesn't know what she wants from life and doesn't understand why she feels so empty and dissatisfied. She has a very best friend (Algie) and mistakes the love she feels for him as passionate love, when it is more that of a sister and brother. She meets David who ...more
Truusje
May 25, 2016 Truusje rated it it was ok
DNF (50%)
I can't believe I didn't finish a Mary Balogh book, but it was just too boring to continue. Both the hero and heroine were such good and lovely people, and there didn't seem much of a conflict between them. The writing was very descriptive with little dialogue or action. It was all just very dull. I'm very glad the first books I read by Mary Balogh are more recent because otherwise I may have missed out on a wonderful writer.
Michele
Jun 22, 2016 Michele rated it it was amazing
This story is somewhat different than Mary Balogh's usual. The characters are likable and well developed and the story flows beautifully. What makes this unique is the religiosity. Rev David Gower's faith and choices are clear and understandable; Lady Rachel's change believable; what makes this story unique the the direction the story takes.
ARomanceLover
Jan 24, 2016 ARomanceLover rated it liked it
Lady Rachel is the belle of the ball and slated to marry her lifelong friend and neighbor Algie. But only one glance at his cousin David and she is in love while he thinks her shallow and frivolous.. It turns out David is to be the rector on Algie's estate and is poor and unsuitable for Rachel who is the daughter of an earl and planned to marry comfortably. Their love grows out of the meaning they both find in doing works of charity and as much as they resist each other, they cannot give up thei ...more
Roub
Jan 08, 2014 Roub rated it liked it
incredibly sweet ! what disturbed me though is dat david rejected all dat money ! it's not dat i'm a money lover but u have 2 be realistic in life ! u can't live on thin air n green pastures !! u need money n love is not everything. will rachel really be happy ? she's going 2 be living in poverty, not even modestly. frankly, i'm not very enthusiastic abt their future, i'm not convinced of a HEA. they saw life through rose-coloured glasses n dats a fatal flaw.
Nelly
Oct 12, 2015 Nelly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
3.5 stars.
tacitus
Aug 22, 2013 tacitus rated it liked it
This is a true love story with a very heavy Christian/spiritual element to it, though that elements mostly deals with philosophical questions of ethics and life, and need not repel anyone who doesn't have a religious bend.

The "steaminess" level is quite low (no sex), and there is no villain. The hero and heroine must merely overcome themselves in order to find happiness, rather than some outside interference.
Linda
Aug 29, 2011 Linda rated it did not like it
Everyone was a little too perfect in their efforts to reach to the lesser in their worlds or uplift those in need of compassion.

Too preachy, too simplistic and though I love "happily ever after", I didn't buy it in this case.

One of Mary Balogh's early books and she is a much better writer today.

Cross this one off my "to keep" list.
Suzanne
Not a typical Mary Balogh novel. A hero (high-minded vicar) and heroine (wealthy, lighthearted deb) ultimately agree to embrace a lifetime of poverty to fulfill their Christian ideals, after many doubts about whether they will suit. Not one of my favorites!
Donna
Mar 28, 2010 Donna rated it it was ok
This was an older book by this author and isn't nearly as good as her new stuff! The couple was just a little annoying and the plot was shallow and predictable. But I did like how our heroine grew in character!!
Barbara
Oct 10, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Very sweet story and a quick read. Nice to read something where a clergyman is the hero and not a villain.
Janet
Aug 08, 2010 Janet rated it it was ok
I'm not sure that I entirely believed in this romance, but I'm glad it's on my shelves.
suzi
Mar 24, 2015 suzi rated it liked it
Cute and a bit religious in theme. Novel theme. A bit short though.
Lynn Calvin
Romance
Rosemarie
Rosemarie marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Jessica De La Cruz
Jessica De La Cruz marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Mary Lynde
Mary Lynde marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Dominika
Dominika marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Bjmnh2
Bjmnh2 marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Jessica Turner
Jessica Turner marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Grace McDougall
Grace McDougall marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Youngshin Kim
Youngshin Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
  • Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)
  • A Loyal Companion
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • A Reputable Rake
  • With This Ring
  • A Change of Heart (Regency Rakes, #2)
  • The Five-Minute Marriage
  • A Regency Christmas I
  • Lord Richard's Daughter
  • Feather Castles (Sanguinet Saga, #2)
  • The Bar Sinister (Clanross,0.5)
  • Prospero's Daughter
  • Falling for Chloe (Lord Rival, #1)
  • The Marriage Bed (The Medieval Knight Series #2)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • The Marigold Chain
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh...