When Strangers meet..
read excerpt

When Strangers meet..

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  55 reviews
What happens when an irritating but lovable wise-cracking 'Stranger' called Iyer meets a frustrated and arrogant teenager, Jai, on a fateful day in a congested room at the metro station? Catastrophe!!!
Meanwhile, Pathan never had the pleasure of happiness in his life yet he thanked Allah for every second of it...
Abandoned by fate and friends, surrounded by responsibilities...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Srishti Publishers and Distributors

2 States by Chetan BhagatI Too Had A Love Story.. by Ravinder SinghThe 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan BhagatRevolution 2020 by Chetan BhagatThe Immortals of Meluha by Amish Tripathi
Indian Books - Fiction
132nd out of 618 books — 1,475 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Fantastic Dads and Father-figures
131st out of 575 books — 684 voters

More lists with this book...

Hari Kumar K
This is my first book and I am quite happy with the results.
Hope the Strangers find a way into your hearts... Forever... :)

P.S I believe in my story, therefore 5 on 5 :)
Supreet
I'm writing this review on behalf of my mother, Punam Bhatia, who finished this novel first:

When Strangers meet tells a refreshing & a very interesting story, which gripped me till the end! The novel entails a lesson for both the children & parents through the well-explored father & son relationship. The bond between the characters Pathan & his son, touched me the most. It's the story of every guy's life, where the father never shows his love for his son and when he realizes it's...more
Charulatha
K Hari Kumar , the author of , "When Strangers Meet.." has done a fair justice and has been successful in making me so comfortable and of course filling my mind with eagerness to know what is going to be next in the journey of 3 strangers,
Apart from what happens when strangers meet, the story has an extra-ordinary and worth mentioning element of dad-son relationship. The kind of bond that a father and son share in every strangers' category is different. One side you have Hussain, an ardent beli...more
Debdatta D. Sahay (b00k r3vi3ws)
Have you ever wondered if you can influence a complete stranger’s life? Celebrities often have that capacity, but I have often wondered if I, being part of the ‘common people’ category, could ever do that. If you have then this book might just quench your curiosity and if you haven’t then this book might just fuel your curiosity.

‘When Stangers Meet’ is a story of an usual circumstance when three people from very different backgrounds of life find themselves stranded together. Oh well, may the ci...more
Ipshita Ranjana
after waiting for a long time i finally got the book from my friend and believe me it was worth the wait

the story basically revolves around three strangers who meet in a congested room in a metro station and how this meeting changes their lives.Many people will be able to relate with the characters and for me that was the best part of the story.The portrayal of the father son relationship is also one of the highlights of the novel.The novel has a lot of drama with a nice twist in the end which i...more
Sundeep Supertramp
4.5

Review:

I have received this book for reviewing from the publisher, himself. This is the third book - after The Homing Pigeons and The Secrets of the Dark - that I received from these publishers this month.

If you come to read my reviews of The Secrets of the Dark and The Homing Pigeons, you might have understood I have literally become a fan of Srishti Publishers. Maybe, there are someone out there who might be thinking that I have been writing positive about the book because I was asked to re...more
Ankita Shreeram
I am usually vary of debut novels but I was pleasantly surprised by 'When strangers meet'. I suspected that this might be yet another predictable romance. But in fact it turned out to be a heart-warming tale about a young boy who catches a glimpse into his possible future. This surreal glimpse allows him to make the right choice at a crossroads in his life. The story is well-paced and the language is simple and crisp. I felt that the writing improved as the story advanced and I particularly like...more
Readers Cosmos
A well planned and well written story. Language is simple, flow and pace is maintained throughout. The author has dedicated this book to his father and it truly delivers the message emphatically through an entertaining story. Truly recommended for fathers and sons.

Negatives: There is some repetition at a few places, however that wont make you bored.

The Verdict: A light, entertaining and enjoyable read with a message. Surely unputdownable. Thanks Hari for sending it on the right day :). 3.5 stars...more
Ravi Jain
The book is mostly about three different characters who are chanced upon by fate to meet each other while stranded in a Metro Station. The first character is that of Jai Prakash Sharma, a troubled and unruly teenager. The second character is that of Hussain, a petty tea shop owner who is facing troubled times because of his poverty. The third and the best character in the book is that of Krishnaprasad Iyer a.k.a Iyer.

Read the full review here: When Strangers Meet | K. Hari Kumar | Book Review
Padmaja Venkatraman
'When Strangers Meet..' is an amazing combination of Dreams.. Love.. Pain.. Faith.. The way author has described the father - son relationship has really touched my heart. A story about 3 strangers .. belonging to 3 different strata. The variance between each father - son relation.. Arshad and His Dad's believe in Allah .. Jai and His Dad's different thoughts for Jai's Dream and Iyer's story.. A twist in everyone's life..
Extraordinary Things Happen ... 'When Strangers Meet..' Indeed story of a L...more
Leo
My review: http://wp.me/p2J8yh-2mm

I think the book is very enjoyable with a simple plot that might not feel new to anyone. However, the handling of the plot is fresh, and the ending took me by surprise. The book has a casual cover and a familiar flow. Lovely narration. However, it lacks proofreading and that could make it even better than it currently is. The lack of it doesn't take away from the holding power of the narration though. 4 stars from me.
Neha Sharma
"When stranges meet" awesome novel that amazingly portrays the uncertainty of life and how strangers can change your life and its course of events......incredibly written by Hari Kumar K and very connecting...somewhere u literally visualize the saga of events that take place within the story........must read...highly recommended........

Jasdeep
When strangers meet... is an exceptional novel which is not just drama but emotion, humour and action with an unexpected twist.I was a bit apprehensive before starting it, but the first page itself gripped me and got me hooked. I simply could not resist thereafter,and the fast pace of the novel made sure that I could not leave it halfway once I began.The novel not just talks about a father-son relationship but more importantly delves into the paradigm of the society as it exists today by display...more
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
I have had this book for sometime now and every time I picked it up to read, I was interrupted and so it lay waiting to be read on my shelf. But then I got a chance to read it the other day and what can I say, I was totally hooked!

When Strangers Meet is the story of three strangers who are all waiting for a train and while waiting in the "The Resting Area" some events occur that change the lives of all these people.

Firstly there is the runaway, Jay who is running away from his family in order to...more
Sakshi Bali
"When Strangers Meet" is an auspicious work by Mr. K.Hari Kumar and his publishing team. A complete Urban fiction depicting the truth of a common man's life in various situations. A story of trust, humanity and belief. A story pushing you towards the height of some very severe situations. I bet if you start, you gonna end up reading. A promising work for any reader's collection. Highly authentic, sensible and of course a marvelous piece of work from a writer's point of view.
Cheers for the succes...more
Vinayak Sethi
A soul-touching story! The author has beautifully described the father - son relationship.. the flow in the narration makes the reader to keep turning the page till the end! The story is really inspiring.. explains amazingly the definition of Life! This is a quick read! I'll highly recommend this to sons and fathers :)
Purnendu Chatterjee
A MUST READ...

A perfect mixture of emotions. Awesome style of describing and narrating and truly a motivational and inspiring one.. All characters are very familiar and unique in their own way.

Decision taken in anger or words spoken in anger are always regretful.

Looking forward to read some more from this writer.
Nisha Pandey
I have always been a fan of K.Hari's photography & short films. was very keen on his debut novel and its awsm!
I like his descriptive style of narration and well the twist in the end. A usual story but still you can't predict anything and the storyteller just wins your heart through out the story.
Must read!
Archita Sanghi
This is one quick read! The Author's narration was amazing.. One could easily read it in a flow.. I loved the 3rd part the most.. 'Revelations' .. Emotions were perfectly weaved in the story by the Author! Surely worth the time and money!
Sarika Patkotwar
*NOTE: We (The Readdicts) received a copy of When Strangers meet.. by K. Hari Kumar from Srishti Publishers & Distributors in exchange for an honest review. We thank the publishing house for the book!

K. Hari Kumar's When Strangers meet.. is the tale of three men, Jai Sharma, Krishnaprasad Iyer and Hussain Ansari, who find themselves in the same situation and how that one situation changes their lives. The book is divided into three parts- The Runaway, Iyer's Story and Revelations.
When Stran...more
Arjun Bhatia
Jul 27, 2013 Arjun Bhatia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Arjun by: Supreet
Finally I have completed ‘When strangers meet’ in less than a day! I’m falling short of words to describe how the author has framed 2 stories
side by side and in such a simple manner……while reading the book I found myself standing in front of the mirror and seeing myself instead of Jai’s character coz I had been through these kind of situations in my life..….nowadays it’s the same story in almost every part of India because of the generation gap prevalent everywhere….but always remember that your...more
Mary Zareah
When strangers meet is a book that will take you through different aspects of life. The interesting factor about the book is the right amount of mystic and reality elements mixed together in a wonderful format.
The book relates with characters that we have seen or somehow known to us.And that what makes it interesting. An angry young man -jai, a man who is content with his life -pathan and a man who has a story to tell - iyer, makes you laugh and think.

The book is a story between these 3 stranger...more
Booker Like a Hooker
Nov 22, 2013 Booker Like a Hooker rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: non fiction readers
Recommended to Booker Like a Hooker by: Hari Kumar K
Shelves: 2013
The title that is directly linked to the soul of the story. The moment when the runaway came face to face with the man who came. The moment …

“WHEN STRANGERS MEET..”

When Strangers meet tells a refreshing & a very interesting story, which also an interesting book because usually I don't read books like that.
The bond between the characters Pathan & his son, touched me the most. It's the story of every guy's life, where the father never shows his love for his son and when he realizes it's t...more
The WordBite
This is a story that grabs you from the first page itself and makes your heart go out with the characters and their feelings. A story filled with pace and is a sure shot page turner. An evocative prose and I must say it’s one of the most riveting books I have ever read this year. The conversations between Iyer and Jai are the highlight of this book. Even the innocence shown by the little Arshad touched my heart. There is one line that touched me and inspired me like nothing is “You are a little...more
Sheila
Jun 28, 2013 Sheila rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends
Recommended to Sheila by: K Hari Kumar (goodreads)
Shelves: kindle-books
This is my first novel by K. Hari Kumar. Narrative is good, however needs editing. This story is based on a teenager in college. There are three main characters Jay, Iyer and Hassan. It is in simple English short story most of you will be able to read it within 2 hours or less. I felt like it is the usual Indian based story with parent’s conflict with teenager running away from home, love and happy ending. The author made great effort for the plot but could have a better ending. I gave it 3 star...more
Prachi Jain
It is a fast paced book. I liked the way the three strangers meet....it is not very usual. The father-son duo has a r/s any body can relate to. The characters are well written specially of Jai....
The unexpected twist towards the end was something out of the blue......it was totally unexpected...... It was rather intriguing and interesting.
On the whole....a nice book!!! I think I can read it one more time.....like I do for my fav author Rohit Gore!!!!!
Good read.......
Meghant Parmar
Strange is the title, strangers are involved and the story is stranger but in a positive sense. It's a story that will through it's simple and fluid narration charm the readers.

The surprises it has in store and the unconventional story line it has will make the readers dance to its tunes.

A lovely book which is a pleasant surprise and out of the blues with lot of conviction, humor and power to entice the readers. :)..
Anjana
This turned out better than I'd expected. I liked the author's honest portrayal of people, South Indians in particular, who have mindlessly been stereotyped in movies and other media. This was a light-hearted and a delightful read that doesn't try to go over the top with anything and still manages to portray a good amount of intensity as well. Looking forward for more from the author.
Chetana
The dramatic story of every household of India depicted in an equally dramatic way. A perfect blend of North and South; it keeps taking interesting turns which would stop you from keeping the book down! A good read!!
  • India Was One
  • English Bites! My 'Fullproof' English Learning Formula
  • Aisle Be Damned
  • Wise Enough to be Foolish
  • Tall Man Small Shadow
  • The Other Side
  • Life... Love... Kumbh...
  • Ajaya: Roll of the Dice (Epic of the Kaurava clan, #1)
  • Govinda (The Aryavarta Chronicles, #1)
  • Seven Days Without You
  • The Hope Factory: A Novel
  • Bombay Rains, Bombay Girls
  • The Valentine's Day Clue (Nayak Brothers, #1)
  • Tantra (The Anu Files, #1)
  • A Vision of Angels
  • Arjuna: Saga of a Pandava Warrior-Prince
  • English for the Eager Learners
  • How To Cook In A Jiffy Even If You Have Never Boiled An Egg Before
K Hari Kumar is a contemporary Indian novelist, born in Cochin and brought up in the suburbs of Gurgaon. His first book 'When Strangers meet..', an urban fiction, was published by Srishti Publishers in May 2013. The book that talked about generation gap was accepted with warmth by the youth of India. His second book (#TFV) will be published by Srishti in the winter of 2014.
He's also an internation...more
More about K. Hari Kumar...
Martin : The First Chapter

“Dying is not a solution.. I want to live with You..!” 11 likes
“If Allah has willed it that way... He must have better plans for you child...” 4 likes