Start by marking “Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance” as Want to Read:
Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance

Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance

Do you use substances or engage in compulsive activities to regulate your mood? Do you reach for something sweet, a couple of drinks, or a pack of cigarettes after a difficult day because you can't unwind without them? Do you race to the stores to spend away the day's frustrations or run around in circles taking more time to get less done? If these self-defeating habits ...more
Published December 10th 2007 by Health Communications (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Sobriety, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Sobriety

LordOfDorkness
Jan 06, 2012 LordOfDorkness rated it it was amazing
For anyone who's had addiction in their life, if that's family, a friend or yourself, I highly recommend this book. It offers a detailed picture of how and why people get addicted to things, how addiction works and some suggestions on how to treat it. But, although this can be a complicated thing to explain, this book does so using such clear, plain language that you can just sit back and take it all in as if it weren't. It's informative, eye opening and a pleasure to read and I think it could ...more
Gigi
Jul 20, 2013 Gigi rated it it was amazing
This will be a reference book for me to come back to again and again. It is full of research and anecdotes from author Tian Dayton. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for more emotional health.
Jen
Aug 30, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Is approaching the study of emotions in a fascinating and engaging way. and yet the vocab and density and within my range, which is limited .. I'm enjoying learning about how kids develop emotionally,from a physiological perspective, so like how they literally have not developed all the brain structures and areas to make all the complex decisions put forth to them. nice reminders for an impatient mom.
Cheryl
Oct 05, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Practical, down to earth advise. There are simple things that can be done to heal and deal with emotional trauma. If you feel your feelings BIG, the way I do, there is help in this book.

"One of the tragedies of relationship trauma is that it can make us UNABLE to take in caring and support from others with the result that we reject the good that may be coming our way."

Not an excuse, just insight. What is easy for others is hard, if not impossible for me.

Tyler
Jun 01, 2009 Tyler rated it liked it
I was sceptical of the publisher's definition as "Self-Help/Recovery," because of all the spiritual/inspirational ego-trips I associate with the genre, but this book really hits home with every sentence. It stirs up a lot memories, but I guess that's the idea. It was appropriate that I started reading it on Mother's Day.

I'm totally loaning this book to my sister when I'm done with it.
Kathleen Hanes
Feb 13, 2016 Kathleen Hanes rated it did not like it
Shelves: acoa
Broadly based discussions on effects of early stress, trauma, etc. on later stability and peace of mind. wordy, but...worth the read. Not limited to ACOA issues.
Barbara Hernon
Barbara Hernon rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Kellie Whitaker
Kellie Whitaker rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2012
Dodie Smith
Dodie Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Big Tex
Big Tex rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
J
J rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Clark Ruttinger
Clark Ruttinger rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Trish Morey
Trish Morey rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Jeniece Brock
Jeniece Brock rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Alan
Alan rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Mindy
Mindy rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2010
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2013
Paulina
Paulina rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
May 04, 2013
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Robin Everist
Robin Everist rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Patty Houser
Patty Houser rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Ana G
Ana G rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2016
Lori Pieraerts
Lori Pieraerts rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Steven Briggs
Steven Briggs rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • The EFT Manual
  • Breaking Down the Wall of Silence: The Liberating Experience of Facing Painful Truth
  • Winona's Web: A Novel of Discovery
  • Thoughts & Feelings
  • The Ten Things to Do When Your Life Falls Apart: An Emotional and Spiritual Handbook
  • He's Scared, She's Scared: Understanding the Hidden Fears That Sabotage Your Relationships
  • Best Friends Forever: Surviving a Breakup with Your Best Friend
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Emotional Resilience: Simple Truths for Dealing with the Unfinished Business of Your Past
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-being
  • The Optimistic Child
Tian Dayton has a masters in educational psychology and a PhD in clinical psychology and is a board certified trainer in psychodrama, sociometry and group psychotherapy. She is a certified Montessori teacher. Dr. Dayton is the director of The New York Psychodrama Training Institute. She is a nationally renowned speaker, expert, and consultant in psychodrama, trauma and addiction, ACoAs and self ...more
More about Tian Dayton...