Start by marking “Chomp, Chomp, Chomp; How I Survived a Bear Attack and Other Harrowing Tales” as Want to Read:
Chomp, Chomp, Chomp; How I Survived a Bear Attack and Other Harrowing Tales

Chomp, Chomp, Chomp; How I Survived a Bear Attack and Other Harrowing Tales

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"…How many people wake up one morning, take a deep breath of clean mountain air and say to themselves 'Wow. What a great day! I think I'll go out and get myself mauled by a bear'?
This one's not quite full-grown, and it's haunched down like a dog, tensed and coiled and ready to spring. We make eye contact for the merest fraction of a second, and in this moment I know exac
Published October 12th 2012 by Allena Hansen (first published 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about Chomp, Chomp, Chomp; How I Survived a Bear Attack and Other Harrowing Tales

Angela Meadon
I bought Chomp, Chomp, Chomp after reading the author's "Ask Me Anything" post on Reddit. I was intrigued by how energetic and ballsey Allena is.

While the bear attack is a huge draw, she escaped and drove herself to the fire station under the kind of circumstances that most of us would find overwhelming. I wanted to find out what made her so strong.

This book delivered. Allena starts out the narrative telling us a little about the final moments of the attack and her drive to safety, then pulls th
Lucia Appelquist
After reading this engaging, thoughtful, and sometimes downright terrifying narrative (in less than a week, I couldn't put it down), I now know the resiliency it takes to be a true survivor. The moments this woman endured were some that I'm not sure I could take on myself, and that was all before she got attacked by a bear.

I was pleasantly surprised at how funny it was. Through all of her questionable decisions and very unique experiences, she keeps a humorous voice throughout. Her perspective
Olga Y
As most people here, I bought the book after the AMA on Reddit.
Being a self published book, it is in a dire need of a good editor, but the story itself is very interesting.

Allena is a very talented story teller. She really introduces herself, starting from her childhood. As you get to know her, the feelings towards her misfortunes become personal.

I hardly read non-fiction, but I enjoyed this book very much due to a very good sense of humor, interesting points made and quite a chilling tour of a
Laura Zats
Normally I don't like memoirs, but the idea of a bear attack intrigued me, and I'm glad I picked this up. This woman's truth is stranger than fiction, to be sure. Since the book is structured to lead up to the bear attack, which only takes up about 20% of the book, I thought it would be in the back of my mind the entire time. I was wrong. Allena Hanson has some of the craziest stories I've ever heard—they made me FORGET about the fact that a bear eats her face. Just the fact that everything in t ...more
Jess Molly Brown

Assigning this ARC a rating wasn’t easy. I’ve taken a lot of time to digest it. The content isn’t quite what I expected and yet, saying that, I feel like an ambulance chaser. So in specific: I was anticipating this to begin with the bear attack and that the rest of the book would reveal what our protagonist learned from it. Instead, the details of the attack were saved until the last 20% of the book and the rest of the book shares how Ms. Hansen gained the fortitude to endure it.

Clearly, if Ms
Laura Zats
Amara Thein
Amy Quale
Funny, witty, and full of quippy cultural references. This book isn't just about a bear attack--it's a fascinating window (back) to a unique time in American pop culture. It's hard not to be affectionate toward this cynical yet practical and resourceful heroine. Allena Hansen's stories are so engaging that you'll forget about the bear attack that book ends her story until she's hearing crunch, crunch, crunch on her skull and her hero dog is guiding her down the mountain while her face literally ...more
Lucia Appelquist

Angelien
I picked this book up on my Kindle after reading Allena's AMA on reddit a couple months ago. I am honestly very impressed, both by the woman herself and by the writing. I know that I am not nearly as tough as Allena; I don't think I could survive half of what she has in her life, let alone a bear attack. But at the same time, her writing is so personable that I feel I can relate to her, cheer for her triumphs and cry for her suffering.

I will say there are some flaws. There are certainly places
Amara Thein
A bear attack is enough to have to you cautiously, yet curiously, drawn to explore the survivor tale—or at least the first chapter of it. Hansen’s undoubtedly admirable and humorous outlook on life, expressive writing style, and continuously engaging tales will keep you reading until the end. Despite Hansen's many hard and traumatic knocks, she will take you on a roller coaster of emotions—shock, frustration, misery, and above all, laughter and inspiration.
Amy Quale
Funny, witty, and full of quippy cultural references. This book isn't just about a bear attack--it's a fascinating widow (back) to a unique time in American pop culture. It's hard not to be affectionate toward this cynical yet practical and resourceful heroine. Allena Hansen's stories are so engaging that you'll forget about the bear attack that book ends her story until she's hearing crunch, crunch, crunch on her skull and her hero dog is guiding her down the mountain while her face literally h ...more
Rachel
I was lucky to stumble upon Chomp, Chomp, Chomp prior to Allena Hansen's popular AMA on Reddit. The book looks like it is 300 pages on a bear attack and surviving follow-up surgeries and insurance companies, the first half of the book provides insight into why she will ultimately survive after the attack, driving herself down a mountain with half her face hanging off.

Allena is the definition of her generation - sexually free and aware, emerging from the conservative, restricted generation of he
Lyn
Many Tales – What a Survivor

The book starts right in the midst of the bear attack and just when you want to read more you turn the page and the story continues when Ms. Hanson was two years old. Then we slowly work our way through many tales of survival. Each tale offers a bit of advice. This is a well-written book that perhaps was a bit of therapy for the author as well as offering advice for the reader. NetGalley provided an advanced review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Carolyn Cline
Entertaining for sure - but I couldn't help but wonder as this woman drifts thru early adulthood and on into maturity (?), perhaps she could have had a little more control of her life. She really experienced way too much bad stuff. She is a good writer - keeps you interested.
Ben
Holy cow. The bear mauling isn't even the most traumatic event in this woman's storied life. I fluctuate between admiring her fortitude and being a little disturbed by how detached she seems in some of these vignettes, but I can't say that she hasn't lived.
Lewis
Lewis marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Space
Space marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Scot
Scot marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Charity Smith
Charity Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Cazza
Cazza marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Micako
Micako marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014