Start by marking “Child of the May (Forestwife Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Child of the May (Forestwife Saga, #2)

Child of the May (Forestwife Saga #2)

When Magda was just a baby, her mother was murdered, and her father John brought her to live in the woods with the Forestwife. Here she learned to heal sick people and became skillful in archery and fighting. Now Magda wants a life of adventure beyond the forest. When word comes that Lady Matilda and her daughter Isabelle are being held captive by the evil Sheriff of ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Orchard Books (NY) (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Child of the May, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of the May

Lanie
So . . . this story "Child of May" is the sequel to "The Forestwife", a retelling of my most favorite story of all time, Robin Hood. :) sadly, this was a HUGE step down from the first book. now as I said in book one's review, I love the idea of all the women making their own way in the world and not just sitting off in a corner somewhere waiting to be rescued. in this Robin Hood trilogy, the gals know how to get shit done.

but I am sorry (well . . . not sorry enough to not write it.) but having a
Kelly
Jun 29, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
I recently re-read The Forestwife, and while going to review on GoodReads found out that there were two other books in the series. Happy surprise! Child of the May is the second of the trilogy.

The book takes place around 15 years after The Forestwife and focuses on Emma and John's child, Madga, who was born in the first story. It has all the familiar characters from The Forestwife while adding depth to some and introducing some new ones.

I quite enjoyed it. Read it all in one night. It's definite
Nikki
Oddly enough, Child of the May seems more closely related to the Robin Hood ballads than the first book, The Forestwife -- at least, I recognised the influence of Robin Hood and the Potter, and a couple of others, as I was reading it. I didn't like it as much as the first book, though. It's less realistic in details, and Magda isn't really a very interesting character -- whiny and very immature.

I liked the plot-thread of Alan the boy with leprosy. That was interesting, and yet not much was reall
KJ, Madame Librarian
It's not like Tomlinson laid a total egg here. But Magda is pretty weak sauce compared to Marian. I wish these had progressed more like the Alana books, with the main character growing up and growing into her vocation.

That said, it is DELIGHTFUL to read Robin Hood retellings where the female characters go beyond "feisty" Maid Marians and damsels in distress. These books will please anyone who enjoys J Fiction and/or Robin Hood miscellany.
PrettyFlamingo
May 23, 2016 PrettyFlamingo rated it liked it
A mix of history and fiction, this is a rather interesting take on the Robin Hood legend with emphasis on other people in the mix. Magda is the 15 year old daughter of Little John and his wife Emma, who was killed when Magda was a baby. She has grown up with Marian, the Forestwife, but has always wanted to avenge her mother’s death, and at the same time prove herself to be as able and competent as any boy.

When Robin and his men embark on a mission to rescue a noblewoman and her daughter from Fi
So92
Jan 03, 2016 So92 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Ho sempre amato i romanzi ambientati in epoca medievale, quindi anche se questo non emerge né per trama, né per personaggi o originalità mi è piaciuto lo stesso. Anni fa avevo adorato il primo libro della trilogia, "La donna della foresta", di cui questo è il seguito. Si tratta indubbiamente di un romanzo per ragazzi, per questo mi sento un po' fuori target...ma la collana junior gaia ha accompagnato la mia scoperta del mondo della lettura e probabilmente sono un po' di parte quando si tratta di ...more
Mariah
Mar 29, 2011 Mariah rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of Robin Hood, Middle Ages
Magda, the daughter of Little John and Emma (deceased) has grown up in Barnsdale Forest under the care of Marian, the Forestwife. At 15, she grows restless and longs to experience life outside the forest. She gets her chance when John & Marian allow her to accompany Robin & the Merry Men on a quest to rescue the noblewoman Matilda and her daughter Isabel. They have both been imprisoned by the sheriff until Matilda agrees to allow Isabel to marry FitzRanulf, the sheriff's bloodthirsty ...more
Lily
Jul 24, 2014 Lily rated it really liked it
Ooooohhh! Lotsa cool things happen in this book! There's lotsa bad people and action, a poor boy suffers with leprosy and Magda flips out about it, and poor Marian feels neglected by Robert. CAN'T SAY I BLAME HER. *Sobs*

My favorite part was when the girls saved Isabel from her terrible imprisonment. That poor lady! I couldn't imagine being in her shoes! Seriously, all the mean people in this story are MEANNNN! I'm glad that the ending had a sweet happy touch to it though, just like the first boo
Wendy
Aug 07, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book started out very slowly and the main character, Magda, is very unlikable (selfish and whinny), about mid way through the book we get back into what made Forestwife so enjoyable. The struggle of the forest folk against the king. Definitely picked up the pace and regained the emotional connection that the beginning of the book had not supplied for me. I am looking forward to finding and reading the last book in this trilogy.
Kellyn
Magda, the only child of Little John, has lived in the forest all of her life, about 15 years, under the care of Marion. Child of the May recreates the world of medieval England and the life of the forest people. Magda helps her father and Robin rescue several people and she learns about her own strength and heart as well.

This is a very exciting adventure story.
Loraine
Apr 17, 2013 Loraine rated it really liked it
Again, Tomlinson creates strong women and makes them a driving force in the Green Man/Green Woman folkways. Little John's daughter, a child of the May, is now fifteen years old and ready to leave the forestwife's realm for more intense experience out in the larger world. She proves her mettle, and discovers how grounded she is in the forest beyond the pale.
Elyse
May 08, 2014 Elyse rated it liked it
It was wonderful to return to the world of The Forestwife. While I would have prefered more of Marian (though, I enjoyed getting to see her interact with her mother), Magda was still likeable and her story satisfying. Tomlinson again does a great job of presenting realistic problems to our little band of heroes.
Ms Thraxan
Feb 08, 2012 Ms Thraxan rated it it was amazing
Is it to bold to say that Theresa Tomlinson's work has shaped the woman you see today? The strength and strong willed characters she writes of have truly inspired me since I was a teenager. An amazing book!
Tracey
Jul 03, 2014 Tracey rated it liked it
The only reason I liked this book is because of the original characters having a great presence in this book. I didn't really like Magda, she was too whiny for me. Still, I like this series a lot.
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2008
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2008
Feest Shardae
Feest Shardae rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Jo Smith
Jo Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Deb Perry
Deb Perry rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Amanda Ramsby
Amanda Ramsby rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
TheSaint
TheSaint rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2008
Alex Eury
Alex Eury rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Mint
Mint rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2011
Miranda
Miranda rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Piper Hale
Piper Hale rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Boots and the Seven Leaguers (A Rock-and-Troll  Fairy Tale, #3)
  • Breath
  • Wild Boy (Rowan Hood, #4)
  • Maid Marian
  • The Crowfield Demon (Crowfield Abbey, #2)
  • Star Trek Insurrection (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The King's Swift Rider: A Novel on Robert the Bruce
  • Solomon's Thieves, Book One
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • The Dragon Prince: A Chinese Beauty & the Beast Tale
  • The Lost Queen of Egypt
  • Will Supervillains Be on the Final? (Liberty Vocational #1)
  • Stones (Garnet and Raphaella, #1)
Though I was born in the South of England - my parents moved back to the North when I was one year old, and I have lived in Yorkshire ever since. I spent a few years as an infant teacher, but when my children were young I started making picture books for them and became hooked on writing. I love drawing and painting, but my main love is writing, often using the legends and history around me as ...more
More about Theresa Tomlinson...

Forestwife Saga (3 books)
  • The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga, #1)
  • The Path of the She Wolf (Forestwife Saga, #3)