Start by marking “Best Lunch Box Ever: Ideas and Recipes for School Lunches Kids Will Love” as Want to Read:
Best Lunch Box Ever: Ideas and Recipes for School Lunches Kids Will Love

Best Lunch Box Ever: Ideas and Recipes for School Lunches Kids Will Love

Best Lunch Box Ever is full of recipes, ideas, and strategies for packing creative and healthful lunches for kids, solving what is for many parents the most taxing of daily chores. Kids will love the scrumptiousness, while busy moms and dads will appreciate the quick and simple solutions for wholesome, balanced meals developed by Katie Sullivan Morford, a registered dietic ...more
Published July 16th 2013 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Best Lunch Box Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Lunch Box Ever

Heidi The Hippie Librarian
Let's be realistic. There is 0% chance that my child would eat any of the stuff suggested in this. However, I think I could really get into it. Grilled cheese made with gruyere and apples? Yes, please!
Denele
Dec 10, 2013 Denele rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, food, parenting
The guidelines in this book can be applied beyond school lunches for kids. I originally picked up Best Lunch Box Ever for ideas for the "big kid" that is my boyfriend. A man who doesn't mind sandwiches for lunch, but is easily bored by repetition. Not only did I find a variety of options for him, but I also quickly discovered that the suggestions could apply to my own lunch choices as well.

What I appreciate most about this book is that it is a complete unit. You are introduced to basic nutrition
Abby Johnson
Sep 23, 2013 Abby Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: grownup_books
Okay, so I'm not entirely sure how kid-friendly a lot of these recipes are (albeit I was a very picky eater, so maybe normal kids would do just fine with chickpeas, avocados, prosciutto, and dates...). But I didn't check it out for making kid lunches, I checked it out for making grownup lunches and I do feel like I'm inspired to try out some of the recipes. I am definitely in a rut and even though I'm not sure that I'll actually get up earlier to cook lunches in the morning (almost every recipe ...more
Heather
Aug 06, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Best Lunch Box Ever: Ideas and Recipes for School Lunches Kids Will Love by Katie Sullivan Morford is the next stop on my quest to find easy, delicious lunches that my husband can take to work with him. Most of the recipes in this cookbook make two to four servings at a time, and are also easy to multiply or make repeatedly should you so desire. (It’s perfect for a parent who wants to feed multiple kids at once, or for me, since I want to share in my husband's yummy lunches.)

My criteria: the mea
Tracey
Oct 06, 2013 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Healthful cookbook/lunch ideas. Thought this was a nice one to browse through for lunch inspiration, but you will need to plan ahead/make enough dinner for sufficient leftovers. See also ChopChop / Sally Sampson for more ways to get the kids involved with making their own lunches.

As with most cookbooks, I found it helpful to be able to borrow this from my local library rather than purchasing, so for those of you who are contemplating giving cookbooks as a gift, please do that first.
Jenna
Jul 19, 2014 Jenna rated it liked it
I agree with most of the other reviews. The recipes are beautifully presented and fun to look at. They're also fairly useless for school-age children unless your child is not at all picky and is willing to be a culinary adventurer. Many of the food combinations are a bit on the sophisticated side for young palates.

The recipes also err on the side of pricey and would be very expensive to make on a daily basis. I enjoyed the book and will be trying a few of the recipes out, but as a useful guide
Ange
Nov 17, 2013 Ange rated it it was ok
I like cookbooks with plenty of pictures. This book didn't have very many and the recipes represented by pictures were standards. I already know what a hard boiled egg looks like. Putting a sandwich in the waffle iron is not a revelation to me. I heartily recommend Beating the Lunchbox Blues over this book.
S.
Mar 06, 2014 S. rated it really liked it
Good for adult lunch ideas! Creative, healthy options, new ideas for combinations I would never have thought of (I can't wait to try the chickpea mash sandwich), good pictures, and tips for the best time to make each lunch (make ahead vs make it the morning of).
Lucy
Aug 20, 2013 Lucy rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource for putting some spark in boring old school lunches. We have made several of the items and they are big hits with the girls. Also, has very good and practical nutritional advice, as Katie is a registered dietician.
Wendy
Jan 05, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, non-fic
I mostly loved the variety of teeny tiny containers the author packed her kids lunch items in. I also realized I'm pretty happy with the lunches I already pack, and I'm thankful I'm not packing them for a crowd.
Erika
May 28, 2016 Erika rated it really liked it
Fun, healthy ideas for kids' lunches. I only wish there were more for picky eaters. While I would enjoy nearly all of these lunches, most of the recipes and suggestions will be a stretch for my picky preschooler.
Beth Griffin
Jan 12, 2015 Beth Griffin rated it it was amazing
Usually when I get a cookbook I find a couple of recipes that I like. With this book almost all of them look delicious and easy. I've made almost 10 recipes for my daughter so far and she has loved them all. Highly recommend if you are stuck in a lunchbox rut.
Susan
Jan 24, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Very thorough book--lots of details on specific foods and best types to buy, safest containers and where to get them, etc. I'm not sure many of the recipes would work for little kids or picky eaters, but definitely some yummy-sounding things that would make grown ups want to pack lunch.
Ambur Taft
Sep 29, 2016 Ambur Taft rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-health
Love the waffle iron grilled cheese and the peanut butter applewiches...among other great small container meal ideas.
Misty Davies
Mar 22, 2015 Misty Davies rated it it was amazing
This was very much a see-it make-it kind of a book. It has become one of my goto books when I'm started to feel uninspired for my kids' lunches.
Aug 23, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Really liked this one. Good, inspiring pictures. Approachable food that fits the nutrition I'm aiming for.
May pick this up every August from library to imagine new ideas.
Amie
Mar 31, 2014 Amie rated it really liked it
Didn't realize this was for kids initially, however I loved the ideas! Time for more healthy creative lunches!
Wendopolis
Wendopolis rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Melisa
Melisa rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Andrew palmer
Andrew palmer rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was ok
May 19, 2014
Stacy M
Stacy M rated it did not like it
May 26, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2015
WickedVerbatim
WickedVerbatim rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Tierney
Tierney rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2014
Cainkade
Cainkade rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Thanh-Thuy
Thanh-Thuy rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Majida
Majida rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Cheri Brew-clayton
Cheri Brew-clayton rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2014
Darci
Darci rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Weelicious Lunches: Think Outside the Lunch Box with More Than 160 Happier Meals
  • Beating the Lunch Box Blues: Fresh Ideas for Lunches on the Go!
  • One Pot: 120+ Easy Meals from Your Skillet, Slow Cooker, Stockpot, and More
  • A Year with Six Sisters' Stuff: 52 Menu Plans, Recipes, and Ideas to Bring Families Together
  • Mad Hungry Cravings
  • Year-Round Slow Cooker: 100 Favorite Recipes for Every Season
  • First Prize Pies: Shoo-Fly, Candy Apple, and Other Deliciously Inventive Pies for Every Week of the Year (and More)
  • Try This at Home: Recipes from My Head to Your Plate
  • The Chopped Cookbook: Use What You've Got to Cook Something Great
  • Little House Living: The Make-Your-Own Guide to a Frugal, Simple, and Self-Sufficient Life
  • The Runner's World Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight, Run Better, and Race Faster
  • Not Your Mother's Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook
  • Good Food, Good Life: 130 Simple Recipes You'll Love to Make and Eat
  • Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites
  • Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook
  • The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!
  • Seriously Delish: 150 Recipes for People Who Totally Love Food
  • The Fresh 20 Cookbook: 20 ingredients = 5 healthy and delicious weeknight dinners