Start by marking “The Rape of Kuwait: The True Story of Iraqi Atrocities Against a Civilian Population” as Want to Read:

The Rape of Kuwait was written right after the invasion and prior to the first Gulf War that freed Kuwait from Iraq's grasp. The book consists of individual stories of what people experienced on the day of the invasion. There are stories about Kuwaitis, Palestinians, and other nationalities.

Author Jean Sasson traveled to London, Cairo, and Saudi Arabia to interview those
Published January 15th 1991 by Knightsbridge Pub. Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Rape of Kuwait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rape of Kuwait

Jessi
Sep 17, 2008 Jessi rated it really liked it
This is another book I rented from the library. It was a very short book. It only took me a few hours to read it. I got the 1991 version which I didn't really like. I don't know if there was made newer version that had the actual outcome of the Persian Gulf War. It was a little weird to read a prediction of what would happen after it had already been over and done with for 15 years. I am also very interested in knowing if these people ever found their lost loved ones.

Also, my nipple still hurts
Teshura
Jun 13, 2012 Teshura rated it really liked it
When I rate this book "really liked it" don't mis-understand me. I did not like reading about what horrible things happened, but rather I think Jean Sasson is remarkably able to convey the the stories and the lives of the people who survived the horror. It is a very good read, and enlightening. I recommend it to anyone who has forgotten that the middle east is not a "those people over there" but rather a conglomeration of many, many individuals, each one of whom also has history, a heartbreak, a ...more
Lorelei
Mar 19, 2016 Lorelei rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I am really glad to have read this - I was busy with very small children when this was happening, and I really didn't understand what was going on. Not an easy read, or for that matter that well written, but truly necessary to understanding what I didn't when I was half a world away and safe in my home.
Chad Manske
Jun 14, 2015 Chad Manske rated it it was amazing
Aug 2, 1990 will always be remembered by Kuwaitis as the day their country was forever changed. Saddam Hussein jealously invaded the small, rich country that so generously helped underwrite their 8 year war with Iran had its way with the country, its property, people and possessions. The atrocities committed were of the worst kind--rape, torture and executions of all manner. Sasson quickly published this book even before the U.S. led coalition began its work, as a means to get the truth, facts a ...more
Aaliyah Behbehani
Sep 19, 2014 Aaliyah Behbehani rated it it was amazing
It touched my heart knowing that people around had each other's back for instance the relationship that the Kuwaitis and the Egyptians had between one another & the Saudis as well & I never knew that the Palestinians were sided up with the Iraqis, the only reason why I was surprised cause to this day there are a lot of Palestinians living in Kuwait which shows how Kuwait isn't a nation that generalizes people's backgrounds.
KΣlls
Dec 30, 2008 KΣlls rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women, especially!
I learned a lot about the differences in culture, and comparing Western civilization compared to Middle Eatern culture. Gender roles and the abuse and mistreatment of young girls and women. How men, government, and religious leaders are very unusually cruel and harsh to women/young girls and very tolerant and biased towrds all men! Some of the best reading I've ever done, I learned A LOT!!
Arub
Dec 23, 2013 Arub rated it really liked it
Very intense, very descriptive and not for the faint of heart. The rape scenes are brutal and can be quite long. The language is quite graphic at times, but it is an eye opener and a great read. One of the few books I've read where I felt I was present in the situation - not exactly a good thing, but a testament to the author. War is horrible. War is particularly horrible for women and children in developing countries. This book details that perfectly. I finished this book in two days. Would rec ...more
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
Aug 19, 2011 Lynne - The Book Squirrel rated it it was amazing
I was reminded of this book which I read after the first Gulf war last night while watching the film Devil's Double which I thought was very well done but not very nice to watch the torture and news reel parts.
Jan 24, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
The author's first book and not the best. It is a collection of 1-2 page stories of the people of Kuwait during th invasion. After a few of them you get the idea. It should have been a novel like her other books. Not terrible but hard to get through the entire thing.
Jim
Sep 06, 2010 Jim rated it it was ok
Read this just after returning from my tour in Kuwait. Knowing what I know I have to say while it tooks us a while to give the Iraqis a chance we certainly needed to do it.
Reading For Sanity
Apr 19, 2011 Reading For Sanity rated it really liked it
read this review and others at http://readingforsanity.blogspot.com/...
Yvonne
Aug 22, 2012 Yvonne added it
Essential reading to understand the country's history
Edwina Callan
Feb 07, 2017 Edwina Callan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2017
The stuff of nightmares ...
I can't stop crying long enough to write anything else at this time.
Mick
Mar 05, 2017 Mick rated it liked it
Easy read. Could have been better had it contained more in depth details of the war. The book is about a random jottings of how some of the lives were affected.
Izah Ahmad
Dec 12, 2016 Izah Ahmad rated it really liked it
The Rape of Kuwait has been nothing but eye-opening and heart-wrenching book. Gulfs' politic is seriously twisted in so many ways that I couldn't comprehend it all.

Jealousy and greed among the countries definitely disunited the Gulfs. I couldn't believe those nasty comments that were thrown to Kuwaitis when they were sieged by Iraqi's regime.

Despite of that, I've seen the sense of human-ship that showed by Saudis, and strong statesmanship of Kuwaitis in this book. I am truly impressed with thei
Shelfari Moved
Dec 01, 2016 Shelfari Moved rated it really liked it
Great, heart wrenching read. I learned a lot of the August 2, 1990 invasion of Iraq in Kuwait. Iraqis came under the pretense that Kuwaitis has invited them to free them from the Kuwaiti Prince while in reality, the Kuwaiti people love their rulers.

I was a little suspiscios about the mention of Ayatollah Khomeini and how he was a fundamentalist who "with Islamic rhetoric, suicide bombings, plan hijackings...sought to dismantle the facade of the peaceable nation." That just means I need to start
Nakubulwa
Nov 23, 2014 Nakubulwa rated it really liked it
Iliked it and the some time iwas bored alittle because it contains short stories yet ienjoy reading aone whole package like MAYADA but all in all its good that now I history of it and what they went through
Milusa
Oct 14, 2016 Milusa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
it somehow reminded me 1968 in Czechoslovakia - "friendly takeover"
Sireesha Avvari
Mar 06, 2016 Sireesha Avvari rated it liked it
Dreadful experiences of Kuwaitis during Iraq invasion
Tiesha Mcclellan
Tiesha Mcclellan rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Debbie Rooney
Debbie Rooney rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Sujatha Narasimhan
Sujatha Narasimhan rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2014
N0mad
N0mad rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2016
Mel Denton
Mel Denton rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
Timz
Timz rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Wes
Wes rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2011
Kipahni
Kipahni rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2007
Rahee Rah
Rahee Rah rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013
  • After the Last Sky: Palestinian Lives
  • The Gun and the Olive Branch: The Roots of Violence in the Middle East
  • Baghdad Diaries: A Woman's Chronicle of War and Exile
  • Baghdad Burning: Girl Blog from Iraq
  • The Holocaust: The Fate of European Jewry, 1932-1945 (Studies in Jewish History)
  • The Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson
  • هل الكتاب المقدس كلام الله
  • Battleground Berlin: CIA vs. KGB in the Cold War
  • Spy/Counterspy: The autobiography of Dusko Popov
  • The Phantom Major
  • Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II
  • Disfigured: A Saudi Woman's Story of Triumph over Violence
  • Brazen Chariots
  • Light Force: A Stirring Account of the Church Caught in the Middle East Crossfire
  • Broken Moon
Jean Sasson was born in a small town in Alabama. An avid reader from an early age, she had read all the books in her school library by the time she was 15 years old. She also began her book collection at age 15. When given the chance to travel, Sasson accepted a position at the King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre in Riyadh, and lived in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for 12 years. She ...more
More about Jean Sasson...