Start by marking “The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy: Over 600 Natural, Non-Toxic & Fragrant Recipes to Create Health Beauty a Safe Home Environment” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Complete Book of E...

Valerie Ann Worwood

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  2,200 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
A necessary resource for anyone interested in alternative approaches to healing, this book contains more than 600 easy-to-follow recipes for essential oil treatments and recipes.
Published August 1st 2012 by New World Library (first published January 1st 1993)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy

Laurie Carlson
This is the best book I have ever found listing all the Essential Oils and their uses. I call it my Essential Oil Bible. It contains every possible oil available and then some. There is no possible way to remember everything listed in this book, which is why I end up using it as a reference tool. I am constantly going back to this book to look up this or that for oil use. I use essential oils for everything - all ailments, feel goods, illnesses, and more. This book has become one of the best boo ...more
DeAnne
Jul 12, 2009 DeAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soapmaking
This is a fantastic reference book for working with essential oils both as a perfumer and as a cosmetics formulator. Ms. Wormwood is one of the world's acknowledged experts on all things essential, and her advice about the therapeutic value of many of these oils is brilliant. As someone who has more than 20 years of experience working with the medical modalities of these types of therapy, her advice is both scientific in approach, and holistic in value. Highly recommended.
Melissa
Sep 25, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I have just started using essential oils in the last few weeks. I am already a firm believer in them and what they can do. This book has been so helpful in educating me in the world of essential oils!
Permies.world
(see caution in mid-review)
This book is very informative. I gleaned many things from it, and have decided to keep it as reference material for recipes etc.

However, I strongly suggest that this is not your only source for information on essential oils.

CAUTION:
This book is EXTREMELY lacking in safety material. And actually incorrect when it comes to essential oils and animals. You should NEVER use essential oils on a cat. Their livers cannot process it. It will kill them. Re: the other animals li
Jul 21, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, this one's definitely a keeper. Zack's warts are vanishing and I only applied the essential oil remedy for three or four days. Warts are so annoying, I had the hardest time getting rid of them when I was a kid. I'm absolutely amazed at how well this worked.

---------------------------------------
Many essential oils behave as antiseptics, antibacterials, antivirals, and/or antifungals. They are natural and smell good so I'm learning how to use them. I appreciate the wealth of information in
Incee
Jun 17, 2013 Incee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is my favorite aromatherapy book; I turn to it often. The recipes cover everything you can think of! From your children to the men in your family, your grandparents, and even your pets, there's a chapter for them in there. Ms Worwood seems to know everything there is to know about essential oils and their proper uses, and she shares her knowledge in a way that encourages us to gather up a small supply of pure essential oils and get busy using them!
Essential oils are so much more than just a
Yaaresse
It's a decent reference, but there are better EO books (with updated information) out there. I prefer a book that explains why certain oils are used for Z or Y, not just gives recipes. I also find her tone throughout the book a bit off-putting. Nonetheless, I'll hang onto it as a backup because it is easy to look up specifics (which I would then cross-reference with a more modern and instructive book such as Schnaubelt's or Tissarand's.

(And I can't believe she's advising using EOs on pets. Only
Kimbo
Aug 17, 2013 Kimbo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, if we consider that.."recent work (Villemure, Slotnick, and Bushnell 2003) has shown that the areas of the brain that light up in response to a painful stimulus can be dulled by creating positive moods with a pleasant odor" - this book becomes essential. Aromatherapy can be used to improve our lives in a myriad of ways. I have personally used it to quit smoking and manage pain. This book provides a thoughtful historical, emotional, and spiritual background with practical tips for combining ...more
Lea
Apr 27, 2013 Lea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EO lovers
Shelves: aromatherapy
This is a fabulous reference book. I read it cover to cover and marked up most of the pages with notes and highlights; I tabbed many pages of recipes and tips that I want to refer back to.
Some of the oils I wasn't familiar with and to collect all the ingredients she uses could be costly, but overall there are amazing recipes and a lot of very valuable information on essential oils and their practical uses in every day life.
Would recommend this to anyone who uses essential oils - beginner to ad
Fostergrants
Oct 17, 2007 Fostergrants rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really appreciate the way this book in indexed. any ailment or issue you can think of is listed in a clear way so you can turn right to it. the relevance of a book like this is in its usability and this is still my favorite in that department.
Lisa
Apr 02, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is probably the best book out there if you want to learn more about Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Valerie Ann Worwood is incredibly knowledgeable in the subject, and i refer to this book often in my library!
Leah
Mar 31, 2011 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aromatherapy
My favorite reference book for using essential oils. There is even a section for children and babies...these I have also used for adult use with success.
Heather
Apr 29, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My bestfriend got me this book a couple years ago for Christmas. My mom and I argue over it, it's so good and useful.
Katrina Shreve
May 21, 2015 Katrina Shreve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
every serious aromatherapist should own this book
Heather
Feb 06, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We lovingly refer to this as our Oily Bible. :)
Melanie  Gorman
Aug 14, 2015 Melanie Gorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is packed full of information on essential oils. It is my go to book on the subject matter and seems to cover everything you would want to know on the subject. This summer I have especially enjoyed the "recipe" for the bug repellant and I feel so good knowing it isn't full of chemicals. I have found it is also good on bug bites that are itching. (I forgot to use it one evening and suffered a few bites that were driving me crazy and this took the itch right out).
Susan
Mar 20, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I learn about and research about essential oils, their properties and proper use, this is a complete and comprehensive instructive book about these things and more. For any one seeking to educate oneself, this may be the beginning of that journey and may answer many questions. It did for me. In fact, I purchased the book after checking it out from the local library.
Beth
Jan 26, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it really is complete. some of the written advice given is a tad outdated but the book is a great reference for which oils to use in differing circumstances and in what combination and concentration. great book to peruse without being overwhelmed.
Jeffrey
Mar 14, 2015 Jeffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was painful to read and I would not recommend it. My primary issue is that it does not seem grounded in logic or science - but rather - that the recommendations coming from the author seem totally random (like she just made them up on the spot). It's also very wastefully wordy - taking double or triple the amount of space it should to express it's ideas. It's also very hard to quickly lookup specific information as it really was not designed to be a reference guide. It also reads as if ...more
Tori
Jan 28, 2015 Tori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is over two decades old, all of the information is still helpful and relevant to anyone looking to start experimenting with essential oils for healing, beauty, cooking, pet care, or natural cleaning products.
Artful Existence
Great book! It has tons of information on essential oils and ways to use them. I like how the book is laid out and enjoy the author's style of writing. I definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in EOs.
Ellen Campbell
Feb 06, 2015 Ellen Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loaned to me by a friend from yoga class, this book was the perfect introduction and ongoing to reference to the use of essential oils. Very soon after opening its cover, I ordered myself and my daughter a copy.
Darlene Burns
Dec 07, 2015 Darlene Burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this book many years ago...then I lost it...and now I repurchased this one. It is an excellent book and I use many of the recipies in it.
Anna Hibbard
Aug 08, 2015 Anna Hibbard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discarded
Essential Oils - you wouldn't think a book would become outdated. Maybe it's just me. This seemed like a waste of time and I abandoned it.
GeorgiAnne
Jun 04, 2016 GeorgiAnne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my go to book for anything I want to know about essential oils. I personally have found the recommended blends to be effective.
Tishke
Jun 06, 2015 Tishke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All you need. This book will replace the 4-5 books I have on the subject matter. It is well organized and very informative.
Joey Eller
Feb 05, 2014 Joey Eller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful! recipe's for symptoms are easy to find with very clear directions. The ones I have tried worked very well.
Lori Smart
Aug 14, 2015 Lori Smart rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aromatherapy
Probably a good resource at publication, but has a lot of outdated information
Melanie
Apr 06, 2016 Melanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book received some great reviews, however I have to admit I was rather disappointed. The information is quite outdated including the section on Down syndrome which the author has misspelled for starters....
To be fair, I haven't tried many of the recipes. Perhaps the section on Down syndrome left me distrustful....
I was also disappointed that the Index does not allow you to search by oils, only ailments, uses, even holidays. I'm sure there are some valid recipes, just didn't quite measure
Ladonda
This is an informative and interesting book. I learned a lot and it will be added to my alternative health care library & I will reference it. Since the author is British she refers to things, that as an American, you have to figure out, i.e. cotton wool = cotton ball and bicarbonate of soda = baking soda but it was manageable. It was also published some time ago and I wonder how data has changed. Some of the items she suggests I'd never do....I am not going to grow Vincas, dry them and then ...more
  • Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The complete guide to the use of aromatic oils in aromatherapy, herbalism, health and well-being
  • The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind & Body
  • Aromatherapy: An A-Z: The Most Comprehensive Guide to Aromatherapy Ever Published
  • Magical Aromatherapy: The Power of Scent
  • The Aromatherapy Bible: The Definitive Guide to Using Essential Oils
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • Making Plant Medicine
  • Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair: Natural and Healthy Bodycare for Every Body
  • Essential Oils Handbook: All the Oils You Will Ever Need for Health, Vitality and Well-being
  • Essential Oils Desk Reference
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils: The Science of Advanced Aromatherapy
  • The Natural Soap Book: Making Herbal and Vegetable-Based Soaps
  • The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs
  • Ayurveda: A Life of Balance: The Complete Guide to Ayurvedic Nutrition and Body Types with Recipes
19339
Valerie Ann Worwood is an aromatherapist, a reflexologist, a member of the London and counties society of Physiologists, and as Chairman of Research is an active member of the International Federation of Aromatherapists. She runs her own clinic in Romford, England, conducts research on aromatherapy and its effects on endometriosis and infertility, and is a consultant to several natural beauty and ...more
More about Valerie Ann Worwood...

“You will only notice the tick by its swollen body attached to your skin. Do not pull it out. A cigarette placed on its body will make the tick drop off, or 1 drop of thyme will also do the trick. Then apply 1 drop of neat lavender every five minutes, to a total of ten,” 1 likes
“AFTER-SUN OIL      Lavender    10 drops      Chamomile         5 drops      Bergamot      1 drop      Geranium      2 drops      Diluted in        Almond oil      approx. 2 oz.      Sesame oil      2 tablespoons” 0 likes