Start by marking “License to Scratch” as Want to Read:
License to Scratch

License to Scratch (Binky)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Binky the space cat and his team of space pets are left at the vet's office while their humans are away. Binky plans an escape, only to stumble on a secret experiment that could give vicious aliens the upper hand! It's up to Binky and his friends to save the humans ... and themselves! Binky: License to Scratch is the final book in the Binky Adventure series, where dry humo...more
Published September 1st 2013 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about License to Scratch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about License to Scratch

Dolly
Jun 27, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading graphic novels
I must say that our girls love, love, love Binky. I like the stories, but they love them and laugh uproariously at the funny little cat and his adventures. Our girls will run around the house saying "poot!" for days after reading one of these tales. The illustrations are hilarious and the stories are fun, quick reads.

This story takes Binky, Gracie, and Gordie to a 'pet hotel' (the vet) while their humans are away. The narrative is just as humorous as the other stories and we enjoyed reading this...more
Nick
While good, this volume wasn't as funny as the earlier volumes in the series. I think that the author couldn't quite come up with a really humorous take on the scenario, which is the pets being left in a boarding facility while their humans go away on a trip.
The good part is that there are some really cute subplots, including the cat who has been living in the nooks and crannies of the vet's office.
Still, fans of the series will enjoy this book. Some of them may be puzzled by the change in tone,...more
Heather
I think that was my favorite Binky adventure
Hailey Story
Theme in this book would be Adventure. Binky's family leave him and his team at the shelter while they go on vacation and Binky has to figure out a way to get out. Once they get out they come across something that may be damaging to their future. The author is saying that even though some things may be dangerous you have to do it to keep people safe. Symbol in this book is the shelter because if their parents didn't bring them there then they wouldn't have found out about this scientist. Great g...more
Holly Letson
As I had previously read and reviewed Binky the Space Cat awhile back, I was sure that I would love this book. So, it came as no surprise that I did.
----------------
Binky is convinced that his home is a space station, and that all that is outside of it is Outer Space. That makes for lots of fun adventures with his friends, Gracie the Cat and Gordie the Dog, who also believe this way.
----------------
So, when his humans pack their suitcases, promising to drop him at a "pet hotel", and end up dr...more
Diane
"They are an elite space team. There is no chance that a "pet hotel" will contain the likes of them!"

When their humans go on vacation, Binky, Gracie and Gordie are toted off to be boarded at the Vet's office. "Who knew being held captive was so boring?" But when the three of them try to escape, they run into more than they bargained for! "What the hairball is that?"

I just love Binky and all my students (especially the cat lovers) will enjoy this latest adventure.
Tiffany
See my full review here: http://misstiffreads.blogspot.com/201...

Binky the Space Cat is back with his partner Gracie and their newest recruit, Gordie. This time they are not worried about aliens, but about the fact that their people are leaving and sending them to a pet hotel that turns out to be the vet's office! Our resourceful heroes must escape, but not before Binky has a chance to find out what the strange shadow that has been haunting the vet's office is all about. Then it is up to Binky a...more
emily
I saw a cardboard stand-up Binky in my grad school classroom on the first night of class and knew it could only mean one thing -- finally, another Binky book. I love this little cat... his antics and adventures make me laugh out loud at least once every other page turn. This book wasn't quite as brilliantly spot-on and creative as Binky's others... but it was darn close.
Katy Jane
I liked the beginning when Binky and Gordie are holding hands and I like when they find each other. It reminded me of Homeward Bound. I didn't like the weird creature of Tuffy's. This one was probably my least favorite but it was still cute and funny.
Kascia
Binky and his pet friends are lodging at a pet hotel, AKA the veterinary clinic. They try to escape and stumble upon something unexpected. It wasn't as good as Binky The Space Cat, but it was still a nice and funny read.
Great Books
Binky the space cat and his friends Gracie and Gordon are surpised when their humans go on a trip and leave them at the pet hotel inside the vet's office, where they meet a stange cat and more aliens.

Reviewer 24
Kaethe
The humans are going away; the pets are going to the vet for boarding. So, yes, it's a bit like Howliday Inn.

They have pockets in their little fur suits. Pockets. I am dead from adorable.

Library copy
Melle
May 05, 2014 Melle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
This story had one of the most perfect antagonists I've read about in a children's book -- very sympathetic and tragic. Almost as good as the first Binky book!
Becky
This was a cute graphic novel for kids about 2 cats and a dog that fancy themselves to be part of a team of Space Explorers. For all intents and purposes, it appears to the reader that they are just house pets, however, I am starting in the middle of a series of books, so I may be missing some pertinent information.

In this installment of the Blinky adventures, the humans go on vacation and board the pets at the vet. Adventure ensues.

This book wasn't super funny or interesting, but it earned 3 s...more
Meg
Another solid addition to the 'Binky the Space Cat' series. The art won't appeal to all children, but I love it-- and I think it could definitely appeal to that tough 7-to-9-year-old-boy crowd. A couple of "potty jokes," consistent with the series, which I don't care for but will probably appeal to kids.

A good story here, and always-cute plays on the "space cat" theme. A fun new character, The Professor, is introduced, and adds a nice facet to the story that's fresh & unique.
Beverly
These cats are more Garfield or Morris than cuddly Nermal. Humorous story in comic book panels; very cute cartoon cats and dogs. In some of the pictures, the way the illustrator draws the ears makes the animals look like they have triangle heads.
Samantha
Binky and Co. head off to the vet's office wherre they will be boarding while their humans go away on a vacation. They immediately set their sights on escaping, but when they finally succeed in their goal they uncover a dark secret lurking beneath the vet's office: an alien/feline hybrid!

It was interesting to read something from a pet's perspective about boarding while their humans are away, but this volume wasn't as laugh out loud funny for me as previous Binky titles have been. Recommended for...more
Shelli
I was not aware that this was a series book when I grabbed it from the graphic novel shelf at the local library. I just noticed the humorous cats that acted superior to their human pets and thought my daughter would enjoy reading it. Maybe the book would have been better if I read earlier ones in the series?? They are not numbered, even on goodreads, so I would have to go by release date if I wanted to start from the beginning. On its own License to Scratch was just o.k.
Nicola Mansfield
I'm a big fan of Binky and always look forward to his latest adventure but have to say for the first time I was disappointed. The story just didn't hold up. Honestly, it was lame. The usual familiar pet things that make you go 'aww' or laugh were missing. The only times I laughed here were from the butt jokes: the thermometre at the vet and the farts. The title doesn't even make sense. Oh boy, for the advertised last book in this series what a let down!
Sara Grochowski
Binky is back and more hilariously sarcastic than ever in LICENSE TO SCRATCH! When Binky and his compatriots are left behind while the humans embark on a mission, the trio must find a way to thwart the evil they encounter and escape the veterinarian's office where they've been kenneled. Hijinks, as always, ensue, with laugh-out-loud funny results and a joyful reunion.
Kellie
I love Binky and he is on another adventure this time it's a trip into outer space being boarded at the vet of all places! These books are so fun I acted out the whole thing to my mother in one evening. A great series for young readers and cat fanciers.
Riley H.
I liked it I honestly did
Julie Williams
What can I say? Graphic novels are just not my thing or maybe I just didn't get it since I haven't read the other ones? I have nothing against graphic novels. My kids love them and I encourage them to read them. I just didn't like it.

Jessica
I love Binky Adventures book. They are cute, make me laugh out loud as I think my kitties have the same thoughts. Easy appeal to young animal lovers and reluctant readers might like the visuals and sparse wording instead of beginning chapter books.
Rich
The drawings are so well done. Binky is drawn so cute that when the bugs stick him you feel so sad. This is a series and I just read this one so I didn't really know the back-story.
Beverly J.
Cute but I think I've hit my quota on this series. The only reason I even started these is cause my GrandKitty's name is Binky. lol
Brett
Binky & Co. find themselves being boarded at the Vet's while their family goes on vacation. Can he handle it? Awesome.
Edward Sullivan
More silly shenanigans with Binky, Gracie, and new recruit Gordie, this time in a vet's office.
Carol
Not my favorite Binky book, but still fun and entertaining.
Jason
These are getting to be ridiculous...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ashley was born and raised in British Columbia where she resides still with her cats Gracie and Charlotte. She has a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design and a Graduate Diploma in Illustration from Sheridan College. In addition to her illustration, she founded Chicken Tika Creations (which she named after her dog, not the food) and is selling her hand felted items acro...more
More about Ashley Spires...
Binky the Space Cat Binky to the Rescue Binky Under Pressure The Most Magnificent Thing Larf