Start by marking “The Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
The Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde

The Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  328 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
These fairy tales, as Oscar Wilde himself explained, were written "partly for children, and partly for those who have kept the childlike faculties of wonder and joy."

This edition, illustrated by Brent, includes:
The Happy Prince
The Birthday of the Infanta
The Fisherman and his S
Hardcover
Published 1994 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde

Jenna
I remember when I was a kid The Happy Prince was my least favourite fairy tale. It is just so bleak and depressing. This audiobook provided my first experience of Oscar Wilde's other fairy tales and yep, bleak and depressing is the theme for all of them. I don't think there's one with a happy ending. It got a bit much by the end of the book, frankly. Of course, the writing is exquisite and the pairings of some of the narrators - most especially Judy Dench, Joanna Lumley and Jeremy Irons - was di ...more
Sher
Jul 11, 2012 Sher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a precious collection of some of OW's best stories. I certainly could not call myself a fan of Wilde's political views, but the man sure could write!! I only knew two of these stories before reading the book. "The Happy Prince" is a tender story of love, devotion and loyalty. I remember reading it, or having it read to me, when I was very young. And one of my all time favorites stories, "The Selfish Giant" just doesn't get old. I get the chills every time I read it. Now I have several ot ...more
Kirjaneito
Nov 21, 2014 Kirjaneito rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014, sadut
Todella koskettavia, haikeita ja julmiakin satuja. Oscar Wilden kirjoitus on edelleenkin jumalaista (huomaatteko, kuinka adjektiivini muuttuvat aina vain ylistävämmiksi?) ja satujen lukeminen on yksinkertaisesti nautintoa. Ironiaakaan ei näistä Wilden tyyliin puutu. Suosittelen lämpimästi!
Holly
Jun 05, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-own
I love Oscar Wilde. I love the stories he tells and the way he tells them. This version of his fairy tales in particular I am completely in love with because the illustrations are so beautiful. And I am pretty much 100% comfortable saying that Wilde would love them, too.
Kelly
Jan 16, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Oscar Wilde offended Victorian society by producing works of social mockery, aside from living a scandalous life. Although Wilde's fairy tales were intended for a young audience, they contain social overtones that most children would not understand, but that are meant to project a higher social ethic upon later generations. The criticism of the Victorian society in Wilde's fairy tales is apparent in the parallels between the situations he imagines and real-life situations, and also in the high ...more
Ryan
Mar 21, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
I suppose that Wilde's tales are "fairy" tales. Animals talk, there are mermaids and princesses, and magical things happen. In Wilde's tales, however, the animals are often sarcastically silly (in a way that doesn't easily translate to disney-fication, I hope), and they mock the behaviors of humans. The mermaids cause men to give up their souls, the princesses break the hearts of those who love them and the magical is really more miraculous. The themes are more clearly religious - or perhaps I m ...more
Rebecca
Jan 20, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-audio
I feel like I should give it a lower rating but rating things muddles me up.

I did enjoy these, very much. I went down the audiobook route, but I believe I have the illustrated version at my mother's, so I'll be sure to pick it up.

There are several quotes I loved from these stories, which are very relevant today. There was often a lot of irrelevant details that cropped up, but it didn't distract too much from the real story.

If I have learnt anything from reading this, it's why Fairy Tales were m
Kurt
Mar 15, 2011 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wilde is a brilliant writer and this book is no exception. There's a bit too much Catholicism in this book for my taste, but it doesn't really distract from the stories at all. Every story is sad, and beware reading this to kids until you've read through it first. It doesn't shy away from killing off the most sympathetic character, or having them suffer trials and tribulations without any happy ending. These stories are tender and touching paeans to love and sacrifice written with such poignancy ...more
Shauna
Mar 04, 2016 Shauna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to an audiobook version of most of these tales by Interactive Media, narrated by Josh Verbae. I have read all these stories before, but it was fun to hear them read aloud. I am a great fan of Oscar Wilde's plays and witty quips, but I must admit that some of these so-called fairy tales are dark, strange, and depressing. However, "The Selfish Giant" and "The Happy Prince" are always worth reading. Overall, it's a mixed bag.
Kathy Sebesta
Feb 18, 2016 Kathy Sebesta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
Audiobook read by such dynamite stars as Judi Dench and Jeremy Irons. No lack of superb talent here.

These are fairy tales in the old, original style, where bad things happen and people suffer. No happily ever after in these stories. And ultimately that's why I stopped listening - not because they were poorly written, but because they are so utterly, depressingly, despairingly, hopeless. I just don't need that much more bleakness in my life.
Aug 14, 2014 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, classics
These stories were okay. For the most part they didn't have the humor that Wilde is known for. Most of the stories were rather dark and/or quite religious. They're worth reading if you're a fan of Wilde since they're short, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them as fairy tales for children.
Danna
Oct 22, 2009 Danna rated it really liked it
O Serendipity! How grateful I am for thee! I was at the library yesterday with a printout of my Goodreads "to read" shelf, and Milwood had not a one of them. The APL system itself was also decidedly unhelpful and my lunchtime clock was ticking, so I completed my request for an audio copy of "The Importance of Being Earnest" to be sent to Milwood and in the process, stumbled upon this gem in the catalog. Lo and behold it was actually available and on the shelf. For anyone wanting to explore Wilde ...more
Hackmops
Beautifully written but bleak and often despressing as fuck. Not for small children. The recurring theme of this book is "people are awful and then everybody dies" - The Nightingale and the Rose" is a prime example of Wilde's sublime and evocative writing with a tragic ending.

By the way, this book was given to me as a gift, otherwise I would have picked up an English edition. However, this German translation is excellent.
Erika
Mar 16, 2016 Erika marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe ein Buch bei BookCrossing.com registriert!
Kristen
Nov 28, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. Occasionally Wilde's wit shone through, but often the tales (full of powerful imagery) were quite sad.
Amber
Mar 21, 2016 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming, and exactly what you'd expect.
Давид Наков
Преди време ги четох на български, сега на (адаптиран)английски.
И в двата случая мога да кажа само едно за тях - абсолютно прекрасни.
Kristen
May 03, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by these tales. I am a big fan of Oscar Wilde, but did not know what to expect from this collection of Fairy Tales. The writing is lovely and most of the tales have wonderful value. The later tales, are more dark but exemplify relevant concerns.
I actually read through these because I wanted to give it as a gift to a co-worker for his new daughter. I am glad that I did and I hope he will enjoy reading them to his daughter and sharing the lovely illustrations.
AJ LeBlanc
This should be called The Most Depressing Fairy Tales Ever Written And If You Are The Least Little Bit Sad You Will Want To Jump Off A Bridge by Oscar Wilde.

I liked the reverse psychology angle - most stories have a negative character that doesn't learn a thing while the good character dies an awful death. We wouldn't want to be like that, would we children?

But man...I needed to watch a Lifetime or Hallmark movie where everything is puppies and rainbows to wash away the misery.
Mesembryanthemum
Hart Publishing Company, 1975. Subtitle on (yellow) cover: "Immortal Stories of Great Charm".

NOT A DIFFERENT EDITION of " The Complete Fairy Tales" by Oscar Wilde - this book has different stories.

Contents:
- The Devoted Friend
- The Remarkable Rocket

Rachel
Oct 05, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are "fairy tales", rather than "tales of faerie". They're charming and even sweet, but have some of Wilde's satirical bite, a surprising emphasis on social injustice, and moralizing along the lines of Dorian Gray. They don't have quite the mystery or layers of MacDonald's fairy tales, but sit in my mind nonetheless. Hague's illustrations are attractive but he doesn't always capture the heart of the stories.
Wherefore Art
May 14, 2008 Wherefore Art rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children, adults young at heart, fans of Oscar Wilde
Oscar Wilde illustrates fairy tales with words of beautiful imagery and a touch of cheeky humor. These are not merely just for children - the stories go a bit more in-depth than your average fairy tale and contain very insightful and thought-provoking "morals." Wilde describes the world as he sees it, and does it audaciously. This small book is a pleasure to read.
Alex
Mar 05, 2012 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was a very disappointing book. At first I thought maybe I had a poor translation, but it was written in English! There were moments of wisdom and beauty, but in general, these stories failed....Though the illustrations by Michael Hague are gorgeous. I don't know what happened, but it's hard to believe these stories were written by Oscar Wilde.
John
Jun 13, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I throughly enjoyed this audio book. Not only are the fairy tales beautiful (although some have sad endings), but the narrators are wonderful too.
Narrated By Judi Dench, Jeremy Irons, Joanna Lumley, Derek Jacobi, Sinead Cusack, Robert Harris, Samantha Bond, Geoffrey Palmer, Donald Sinden, Elaine Stritch
Janis
Mar 18, 2009 Janis rated it really liked it
These are good stories, but some of them I liked much better than others. He was very cynical in many of them and I felt like children might not catch it in it's subtlety. Some were very beautiful with wonderful sentiments that were uplifting. Overall worth reading, but you may not like them all.
Robert
Aug 28, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All in all a good and reasonable-priced edition of fairy tales and narratives. Unfortunately, I found the translation into German somewhat clumsy, that's why I decided on giving only a rating of four stars. The stories itself are certainly worth 5 stars.
Karin
Dec 27, 2007 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Canterville Ghost was an excellent antidote for a book on ghosts I recently read and that left me quite spooked out for a while. My favorites were The Nightingale and the Rose and The Selfish Giant. Those two read like poetry.
Brook Maturo
Jul 11, 2015 Brook Maturo rated it it was amazing
Beautiful stories with a touch of the strangeness of fairy tales. Just about all of them made me cry.
Mommy Farris
Feb 23, 2010 Mommy Farris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love Oscar Wilde's fairy tales. He wrote them for his children to teach them about Christ. Just beautiful but hard to read to your children without crying.
Laura Craner
Sep 09, 2012 Laura Craner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little volume surprised me. Lots of tongue-in-cheek humor and a bit of satire, but still very lovely and fun and perfect to be read aloud to kiddos.
  • The World is Round (Little Barefoot Books)
  • The Springs of Affection
  • The Serpent Slayer: and Other Stories of Strong Women
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • The Bears' Famous Invasion of Sicily
  • Nachtstücke
  • Wallenstein II: Wallensteins Tod
  • сърцето ти нося (в сърцето си го нося)
  • The Things We Lose, The Things We Leave Behind
  • Bob the Book
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • The Remembered Visit
  • Goddesses: A World of Myth and Magic
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“- Колко глупаво нещо е любовта! — рече студентът, когато си тръгна. — Тя не е и наполовина така полезна, както логиката, защото нищо не доказва, винаги разправя неща, които няма да станат, и те кара да вярваш в неща, които не са верни. Всъщност тя е съвсем непрактична, а понеже в нашия век да бъдеш практичен значи всичко, аз ще се върна към философията и ще изучавам метафизика.
И той се върна в стаята си, издърпа голяма прашна книга и седна да чете.”
0 likes