Start by marking “The Coalwood Way” as Want to Read:
The Coalwood Way

The Coalwood Way (Coalwood)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,064 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
It's fall, 1959, and Homer "Sonny" Hickam and his fellow Rocket Boys are in their senior year at Big Creek High, launching handbuilt rockets that soar thousands of feet into the West Virginia sky. But in a season traditionally marked by celebrations of the spirit, Coalwood finds itself at a painful crossroads.
The strains can be felt within the Hickam home, where a beleagu
Published October 10th 2000 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Coalwood Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coalwood Way

Patty
Jun 02, 2008 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you had asked me after I finished Rocket Boys, the first part of Hickam's biography, I would have told you it was deeply personal and very real. After finishing this second installment I can honestly say that there was much more to come. Rocket Boys covered the years from Sputnik to high school graduation in 1960. Coalwood Way covers only the fall of 1959 but it covers that period in an in-depth way that shows just how powerful a writer Hickam is - and how traumatic such a short period of tim ...more
07aimeeb
This is the second book that Homer Hickam wrote about his life and the troubles he has. An autobiography that covers his life, Homers, in his last year in high school. With a total of 360 pages it was finished in 2001. With the title “The Coalwood Way” it is very easy to figure out what the book is about, and that is what it’s like to live in Coalwood.

This book is about Homer as a teenager and how he and his dad just can’t seem to get along with one another even though they still love one anot
Samantha
Dec 25, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People say you know you are in love with someone when being with them is like coming home. I think this applies to books as well. The Coalwood Way is like coming home. It's weird, cause I've never been to West Virginia, built a rocket, had any interest in rockets. I've never had a brother or lived in a small town or even been to a Christmas Paegant. Still, I found myself shaking my head in agreement and relishing in the language. I think it's cause there's a part of
me-- part of us all--that cra
Claudia
Oct 23, 2011 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second in a trilogy of memoirs that began with "Rocket Boys" (October Sky). Memoir concludes with "Sky of Stone". This one went back and went into more detail. Explores issues any boy or girl faces growing up and some peculiar to a West Virginia coal mining town. The author also struggled over his perception that his father favored his older brother. The conclusion was sublime. The traditional Christmas Pageant was set in CoalWood, not in the Holy Land. At the end, starving deer came down and at ...more
Stacy
Aug 23, 2013 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacy by: Jim Hart
It's a wonder Homer Hickam Jr. could remember all those details about his life at sixteen years old.

Clever, honest, and although nothing really massive or suspenseful or gripping occurs at the end of every page, when the end of page comes you cannot help but turn it over and continue. The very wit and intelligence and clarity with which the author conveys his every experience is entrancing.

Loaded with country sayings. If you grew up in the mountains but don't live there anymore and find yoursel
John Valesano
Jan 24, 2015 John Valesano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An very enjoyable read. Sonny(Homer)Hickam is now a senior in high school. He is having growing pains with the thought of leaving Coalwood and going to college, discovering girls, designing the perfect rocket, struggling with his mother's desire to leave his father and Coalwood , and seeking the acknowledgement and praise of his father. Homer does a wonderful job of presenting to the reader his transition from childhood to adulthood. He helps the reader remember their own transition into adultho ...more
Debbie
Mar 28, 2014 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a follow up book to Hickam's Rocket Boys...but basically covers his senior year in high school and the struggles he has in finding his own place in life, in his family, and watching his dad struggle to keep a certain mine open in spite of opposition his dad faces from others in the community.

I definitely enjoy reading his books about growing up in a coal town in WV...as that was my life as well...and I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything!
Read Ng
Jan 03, 2014 Read Ng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography
I don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading this book. Hickam's narrative style is just so vivid and heartwarming. It's a subset of his Rocket Boys book. If you loved that, you will not want to miss what happens leading up to the Christmas of 1959. The ending does seem to be a bit "Hollywood", but I can believe it to be mostly true nonetheless. It is a great Christmas story.

Now go out and have a GoodReads.
Suzy
Jul 07, 2014 Suzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can you say? It's Homer Hickam. America has to love Homer Hickam because he is smart, affable, and HH is America. I follow Hickam on Twitter. He is real. Down to earth. Not one bit puffed up. A lot like the kid he introduces us to in The Coalwood Way. Memoirs are by far my favorite genre to read. Memoirs cannot be well written unless a person has been forced by the grim realities of life to learn that it's not all grim after all. Hickam had it tough in Coalwood. He had parents who loved him ...more
Mike M
Mar 01, 2015 Mike M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A more apt title for The Coalwood Way would have been The Best Coalwood Christmas Pageant Ever. It covers the few months leading up to Christmas in 1959, and therefore overlaps with the time period covered in Rocket Boys, but focuses on different events. The rockets are still there, but they aren't the main focus of this story.

And maybe that's why I didn't like The Coalwood Way nearly as much as I loved Rocket Boys, especially considering I read it immediately upon finishing the latter. The town
woody
Dec 23, 2013 woody rated it really liked it
It's 1959 and Sonny Hickam and the Rocket Boys are in their senior year of high school. Coal mining in West Virginia is taking its toll on the community and the Hickam family. Sonny is having issues with most of life, especially his dad who seems to not get Sonny at all.
This book overlaps October Sky, but goes into much more detail of the events of Coalwood, the Rocket Boys and the Hickam family.

Beth Withers
Dec 15, 2013 Beth Withers rated it it was amazing
I've read this book at least twice, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. If you know the story portrayed in the movie October Sky, then you would enjoy this book. This was meant as a Christmas story, but it's mostly about growing up in a small coal mining town. The rocket building and the Rocket Boys are part of it, but this book goes deeper, looking at all aspects of life in Coalwood.
Nancyann
Apr 02, 2016 Nancyann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how he did it but Homer Hickam's memoir The Coalwood Way is even better than Rocket Boys/October Sun, and that was swell. We see the mining town of Coalwood during the winter of 1959 through the eyes of Homer "Sonny" Hickam, our star Rocket Boy. For those who loved the science of Rocket Boys/October Sky there is some of that in The Coalwood Way but oh, so much more. In this sequel we are treated to more of the daily life of Coalwood, complete with its highs and lows and cast of char ...more
Georgiana Huizenga
This was a book selected for my book discussion group and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This gives a more complete picture of life in Coalwood, West Virginia that the reader was first introduced to it Rocket Boys. Even though it covers only the fall and winter of Homer's senior year, it fleshes out all of the characters.
Eric Proctor
Sep 03, 2014 Eric Proctor rated it really liked it
Another well written gem from Homer Hickam. This one delves a little deeper into a short time covered in this first memoir, Rocket Boys. However, it is less about the rockets and more about the people and the town of Coalwood. A nice look at an American town struggling to hold onto its identity.
Karen
Apr 30, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
At first I was worried that it would repeat a lot of the Rocket Boy's book, because it covers a lot of the same time frame. But, his focus is different and I really liked his writing style and felt like I sort of had a better idea what in the heck teenage boys have goin' on inside their heads.
Aynslie
Feb 17, 2015 Aynslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars. I really loved this book, but it wasn't quite as good as the first one. I forgot how much I care about the characters. I really enjoy reading about the history and the rockets and the science. This book made me laugh out loud and had me smiling like an idiot.
Cindy
Jul 03, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoy his writing, very humorous! Jenny had to read it for school a few years ago, she recommended it to me. I'm going to watch October Sky now....and I love that it's based on a true story.
Carole
Oct 28, 2015 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the way he writes. He keeps it simple but paints a great picture of life in Coalwood. He develops his characters well because he knew and liked them. Can't wait to read more!
Helen
Jan 20, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing
Great read, even better then Rocket Boys learning about the characters of Coalwood. A climax you don't expect and an ending that couldn't be more perfect. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Michelle Ule
Jan 26, 2013 Michelle Ule rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Further adventures and stories about Coalwood, the town where Hickam grew up and which was memorialized in October Sky. Interesting, thoughtful and a good read.
Tom
Jun 08, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done piece on the old "company town." It is more that coal mining, it is about a kid learning life. Wish I had learned as much at his age.
Rj Roles
Mar 06, 2013 Rj Roles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
a fantastic sequel to an already fantastic story and must read to anyone that has lived in the shadows of the Appalachian mountains
Scott
Jun 25, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to Rocket Boys/October Sky and my favorite of Homer Hickham's Coalwood Series.
Brittany
Oct 18, 2013 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A continuation of October Sky. Perhaps a little less poignant but still a good read.
Licking County Library
Recommended by Kristen, Hebron Library

Kristen's Review:

I would like to recommend The Coalwood Way by Homer Hickam. This lovely book by the author of Rocket Boys transports you to the small coal town of Coalwood, WV and describes a pivotal holiday season in Homer's ("Sonny"s) life. The book, a lovely vignette of small-town mid-century America, is sentimental and religious without being preachy. A beautiful holiday-themed autobiographical coming-of-age book which leaves you yearning for a simpler
Sean Gillen
Mar 17, 2013 Sean Gillen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic book by Hickam. Really enjoyed it.
Angie Sparks
Really good book.
Sunnie Hall
Aug 04, 2012 Sunnie Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
touching
Johnsergeant
Sep 01, 2007 Johnsergeant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audiobook from Recorded Books

Narrated By: Frank Muller

Homer Hickam is the #1 New York Times best-selling author whose life inspired the critically acclaimed film October Sky. In The Coalwood Way he returns to his childhood home of Coalwood, West Virginia for an inspiring memoir about growing up in a town that’s slowly fading away. Homer and his close buddies, who call themselves the Rocket Boys, are high school seniors in 1959. Their rocket building experiments amaze the locals,
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • After All These Years
  • Bad Twin
  • The Moon Pool
  • Lancelot
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • The Laws of Manu
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • La Barbe Bleue
  • The Thread That Runs So True
  • Deep River
  • Laughter in the Dark
  • John Glenn: A Memoir
Homer Hickam (also known as Homer H. Hickam, Jr.) is the author of many best-sellers including his latest, Carrying Albert Home. An eclectic writer, he wrote the "Coalwood Series," which includes the # 1 New York Times best-selling memoir Rocket Boys, the popular World War II-era "Josh Thurlow" series, the juvenile sci-fi "Crater" series, the adult thriller The Dinosaur Hunter, the romantic Red He ...more
More about Homer Hickam...

“A man can't hit a woman and stay a man. He becomes a loathsome thing, even to himself. But the woman who stays with such a man panders to his darkness. They both risk their souls.” 3 likes