Start by marking “Dr. Texas” as Want to Read:
Dr. Texas

Dr. Texas (Heart of Texas #4)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,010 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews

Welcome back to Promise, Texas, a ranching community deep in the Hill Country. It's a good place to live and raise a family--and a good place to visit. Yes, there's a secret or two hidden beneath Promise's everyday exterior, but what town doesn't have its secrets?

They call her Dr. Texas. She's Jane Dickinson, a n
Published April 15th 2013 by Harlequin Mira (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Texas

Dr. Texas by Debbie Macomber was an ok "listen" (audiobook). I was 75% finished when I realized that I had actually read this book quite a few years ago. I think it was when Richard was injured in Bitter End. I remembered enjoying reading the book but I really didn't care for the audio version. The female narrator really did not do justice to the men's voices. I don't know if it was the pitch or the cadence, but it just didn't work for me.

Go Cards! L1C4!!!
Roz Curney-Sherod
Apr 18, 2016 Roz Curney-Sherod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantics would love HEA
This is the 4th book in the "Heart of Texas" series. I read them out of order not realizing that this is a series. I'll have to back-track to #1 & 2. I love series about small towns, villages or counties because each book focuses on a member of that town and each plot is different. I like this series because each book (so far) picks up where the previous one left off so it's not hard to follow the current story line. This installment focuses on the big city doctor from California falling in ...more
Mar 13, 2014 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They call her Dr. Texas. She's Jane Dickinson, a newly graduated physician from California who's working at the Promise clinic--but just for a couple of years. They call him Mr. Grouch.
Cal Patterson was left at the altar by his out-of-state fiancée, and he's not over it yet. Too bad Jane reminds him so much of the woman he's trying to forget!
Cal isn't trusting any out of town woman. Then why would he kiss one? You gotta love Cal. He's hard working, last to voice his opinion, well respected in P
Michelle Molinari
I really enjoyed this book almost as much as the first one. As a Californian, born and raised, it was fun to read about a Californian displaced in a small town of Texas. This might be a secret dream of mine. It was fun to read about how she didn’t fit in and I sympathize with her wanting my dressing on the side! I also liked how as one relationship was getting started, another was unfolding. I believe in the other books there was a secondary relationship but it didn’t get as much of a spot light ...more
Mar 14, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In trade for getting some of her student loans paid down, Dr. Jane Dickinson agreed to a three year stretch as a clinic doc for a small town in Promise Texas. Big City California doc had lots to learn about small town Texas, but after talking to her, Cal Patterson soon realized she was a good sport and willing to try to fit in. Riding a horse, dressing the cowgirl part and listening to Willie Nelson all with a sense of humor that even got Cal to loosen up

Book 4 …. Normally I am all about readin
Amanda Sheila
Jul 26, 2013 Amanda Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
One thing I liked—and slightly disliked of Debbie Macomber's style of writing is the way she jumped from one character's point of view to another. Liked, because I certainly loved one book with multiple stories in it and thank God Miss Macomber's wrote it beautifully. Disliked, because, exactly what I described in my profile, I'm easily distracted. I'm having a hard time to keep focus on one story. So.. Yeah, you know what I mean.

Jane's a newbie in small town Promise. This new doctor from Calif
This book was just an enjoyable read. I must have been in the right mood as I see others have made it 4 and not 5 stars. I have read at least one of the other books in the series but it's been sometime ago. I liked to two main characters and all the supporting ones as well. Even the ole sheriff who is determined not to marry.

Of course I want to know what happened to the ghost town Bitter End. So I see another book in this series in my future.
Mar 07, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, I really enjoy a well written romance and this author seems to know how to do so.
I liked the fact that the story wasn't just focusing on one set of characters, but a town of people. I get the sense that this is part of a series, but the book was able to stand alone as a good read.
Enjoyed the determination of the female doctor in trying to get what she wants in visiting the ghost town and riding the horse. Liked how The postmistress stood her ground in after 10 years of just having a boyfriend.
Priscilla Hahne
Dec 29, 2014 Priscilla Hahne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Very entertaining with great friendships and characters. Jane's introduction to Atta Girl nearly had me rolling off the bed with laughter.
This was a standard Debbie Macomber romantic plot but it had some enjoyable moments. Although the stereo typical description of Texans was rather annoying. And cliché.
Tam Cooke
Aug 29, 2014 Tam Cooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was good though very interesting at the end. Its good that Richard got his punishment in the end. and that Bitter end had something to do with it
Nov 10, 2014 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cowboys, deb
Predictable yet enjoyable.

and Richard deserved it.
Mar 24, 2016 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and am glad that we came to some sort of conclusion with Richard.
Jan 04, 2014 Yekaterina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Jane agrees to move to Promise, Texas and service the community in order to pay off her debit. She is immediately shunned by the community and asks Dovie for help. Dovie and Ellie waste no time introducing Dr. Jane to her reason for making Promise permanent.
This was my favorite of the Heart of Texas series. It was the perfect mix of drama, romance and action. Nice quick read.
Jul 03, 2016 Della rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book!
Janice Smith
Jun 24, 2015 Janice Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Texas(Heart of Texas)

Another great read in this series. Love and marriage becoming a regular happening in the town of Promise including the Sheriff.
Jan 25, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great series
Quick romantic read once one becomes acclimated to all the characters (or again, if it's been a while since one has read the first book in the series). I found the Texas stereotypes a bit hokey at times. Best part to me was the mystery about Bitter End. Unfortunately, one has to wait to the next book in the series to find out the best part of that mystery. That's one way to make one read more! :D
Kym McNabney
May 23, 2012 Kym McNabney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading about Jane and Cal, thought I didn't think this one was as good as the ones before. But once again, well written and a good story. Just could have used a bit more sparing, drams, between the main characters. Make sure to read the two before and the two after. Heartwarming, good clean romance. I can't wait to get started on the others, about Nell and Wade.
Yvonne Thompson
Jan 16, 2014 Yvonne Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Debbie Macomber stories ...
Sue Klasing
NY Dr. meets Texas cowhand and sparks fly.
Jan 11, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it
Still can't get enough of this small town romance!
Sherie Courtney
It was one of my first Debbie MacComber books and enticed me to read all her books. She has several excellent series. This is one of her Texas series. You don't have to read the whole series to enjoy, but they're even better when you do.
Kim Hampton
Sep 18, 2014 Kim Hampton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from Debbie Macomber in the "Heart of Texas" series. Can Dr. Jane become a true Texas gal? Can Cal learn to trust a "city slicker" again? Only two more books to go in this series, will be sad to see it end.
Since I live in Texas, I enjoyed the entire Texas series. This author has a way of creating a community in her books where reading feels like visiting friends. Whether it is the Cedar Cove series or this one, I enjoy them all!
Apr 21, 2013 Barbi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story of Cal and Dr Jane! What a sweet story of Cal being able to find love again. I also loved how the author wove in the stories of some of the other characters that we have come to know.
Mar 18, 2013 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book very much. A city girl goes to Texas annd starts a new life. a fast read. thanks for writing this book, Debbie McComber, another good one.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
The series keeps getting better with each book. In this one we resolve what's going on with Richard Weston (one of the backstories of the series.)
Aug 08, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: passionate
  • Lonceng Perkawinan
  • The Baby Discovery (Bachelor Dads, #3)
  • Mistress for a Month
  • The High-Society Wife (Ruthless)
  • Menaklukkan Calon Istri (To Woo A Wife) (Bachelor Brothers, Book 1)
  • The Greek's Royal Mistress (Princess Brides, #2)
  • Jack Riordan's Baby
  • The Second Mrs Adams
  • Expecting the Playboy's Heir
  • Their Wedding Day / Hari Perkawinan Mereka
  • The Italian's Blackmailed Mistress
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 950 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

Heart of Texas (8 books)
  • Lonesome Cowboy (Heart of Texas #1)
  • Texas Two-Step (Heart of Texas #2)
  • Caroline's Child (Heart of Texas #3)
  • Nell's Cowboy (Heart of Texas #5)
  • Lone Star Baby (Heart of Texas #6)
  • Promise, Texas (Heart of Texas #7)
  • Return to Promise (Heart of Texas #8)