Start by marking “Lonesome Cowboy” as Want to Read:
Lonesome Cowboy

Lonesome Cowboy (Heart of Texas #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,274 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Welcome to the town of Promise, deep in the heart of Texas!

Promise, a ranching community in the Hill Country, is a place with a mysterious past and more than its share of secrets. It's also a place where family and friendship matter....

LONESOME COWBOY
Savannah Weston lives quietly on the family ranch with her brother, Grady. Until she encounters a stranger named Laredo Smit
Published April 15th 2013 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 1998)

Jacob Proffitt
My heart bled for Savannah Weston--a love-starved woman in a small Texas town. Her older brother, Grady, is kind of an ass and the two of them have spent years building up their ranch after their younger brother, Richard, stole the inheritance money needed for the rapacious inheritance taxes on their parents' deaths. Savannah's need for affection was overwhelming and raw and kudos to Macomber for not shrinking from the force of it.

And Laredo is an incredibly attractive antidote for her lonelines
Debbie
Mar 25, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After going against her brother Grady’s wishes by going to the ghost town of Bitter End to find antique roses, Savannah Weston decided to stop for the lone cowboy she saw walking down the side of the road. He just wanted to get his truck fixed and get back on the road, Laredo Smith never planned on staying long I Promise Texas. Seeing the way Savannah cared for her brother, her animals, and her plants shouldn’t have changed his mind. Having protective feelings for her when it came to her plans t ...more
Amanda Sheila
I was going to give this book five stars but..

When she saw him walking alone, Savannah can't help but gave him a ride. Laredo, alone and jobless hooked with Savannah's kindness. She even offered him a job as her gardener. He's in love, and apparently the feeling's mutual. But what would Laredo do when he got nothing to give?

This book is good. The story flowed beautifully and I'm in love with Laredo instantly. Even with Grady despite his roughness. Savannah's thirty years old and she yearns for
Nikinnia Smith
I started reading this book with the thought that I would not like it at all. I was only reading it for a challenge. Turns out it was not too bad. It was not the best book ever, but it was ok. I hadn't read a ranch/cowboy book before and thought it would be completely boring.

The book is about Savannah and a poor horse breeder who goes by the name Laredo(weird name I know). She finds him walking along the highway after his truck breaks down, and decides to give him a ride and later a job.
Laredo
Michelle Molinari
I adore these characters. Macomber’s writing is wonderful. I could barely put this book down, I’m so happy there are more books in this series. A quick read, an excellent pace, not too quick and not too wordy. Just when you’re settling into the romance, Macomber throws in another obstacle. Love it.

SPOILER *******************

I would say my two nit-picks have to do with the ending (I know, you can’t please everyone – I’m still mailing the series to my friend in Hawaii for beach reading.) I felt th
Melissa
Jan 15, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the town of Promise, Texas..where the neighbors are friendly!
Savannah loves helping her brother on their ranch,..and growing her garden of many kinds of Roses.
She wasnt looking for a romance..until Laredo Smith enters town.
With Laredo's past, Savannah's Brother questions Laredo's intentions towards his Sister.
Laredo and Savannah's brothers discourage her from visiting a Ghost Town called Bitter End..but she was determined to find more Antique Roses for her Rose Garden in this Ghost Town
Judy
Mar 25, 2014 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written story about a woman who picks up a hitchhiker and takes him home to the ranch she owns with her brother. It's a story about taking care of one's property, values and beliefs. It's about taking care of one's family first. It's about learning how to trust and love and believe that there is more to life than working the ranch. It's about life. It's about appreciating life and taking all there is to one's life with joy and hope.

Pick up a copy today! You'll enjoy it!
Brona
May 22, 2017 Brona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a satisfying, lighthearted book that makes me want more. Thank goodness it was book one in a series. I need to find out what happens in Promise, Texas! Going off to find book two now.
Joyce Harden
Did not like to left hanging with the other characters and really needed to see something done about Richard as he was nothing but a worthless con man
Pamela Powell
Mar 16, 2017 Pamela Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Savannah, she seemed like a person I'd like to be friends with.
Emily
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I had found book number seven (Promise, Texas) at a used book sale and bought it not realizing that it was near the end of a series. When I looked it up on Goodreads, I decided to read the series instead of hopping into it. With that said, I'm glad I found a copy of first six books. Although each book reiterates some facts from the books before the story makes much more sense knowing how each character met, why they made the choices they did and seeing different r ...more
Srividya
May 03, 2014 Srividya rated it liked it
Debbie Macomber does it again with a wonderful series. I picked up this book after reading a particularly sad one to simply ward of the blues. And behold I was enthralled.

In this book and series, she brings to us the wonderful town of Promise, Texas along with its various residents and their loves and relationships. This book in particular is about Savannah Weston, who simply loves to grow roses and helps her brother manage their struggling family ranch. She is shown as someone who is shy, gentl
BookMaven
Aug 07, 2008 BookMaven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a feel good pick me up.
Recommended to BookMaven by: Friend
Debbie Macomber can say more in 2 paragraphs than most writers say in 200 pages. She can really advance a story and juggle plotlines. This book is the first of 6 book series. One can read one of these books and get a good idea about what is going to happen in the other books, which whets your appetite for the next book. She visits and engages each character in every book. You really get to know these characters and in lots of different scenarios, some where they are front and center and others w ...more
Lynda
Savannah Weston and her brother Grady live on the family ranch in Promise. Grady is giving 110% to keep the ranch which means he works from before the sun is up until after it has gone down.

Savannah takes care of many many things on the ranch but her passion is for old roses – those planted before 1867. She rescues them from anywhere she can find them – old cemeteries or abandoned homesteads.

Enter Laredo Smith, a cowboy who is a stranger to Promise. A stranger to everyone except Savannah who fr
Luisa
Feb 19, 2013 Luisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is a tender story of Savannah and Laredo, two Texans who find love when they least expect it. They work the land of Savannah's family ranch together as they fall in love, and there are enough little twists to keep the book moving and interesting. The characters are likable, and I wanted them to be happy. I'll most likely read more in this series.

I happened to check out the large print edition of this novel from my library. What? Is it wrong that I'm reading large print though I'm not yet 30
Tessa
Mar 18, 2016 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read for Debbie Macomber since it doesn't take place in the Pacific Northwest. With the way the book is written, I had a difficult time deciding if the story was taking place in the early 1900's or current day. I eventually determined that it was current day, but the writing of the conversations could do with some sprucing up to bring into the current day. Otherwise it was a great love story with a little bit of mystery that makes me want to keep on reading the series.
Julianne
Oct 17, 2008 Julianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Debbie Macomber's "Heart of Texas" series, Book #1. Loved it! I read this once or twice before, but wanted to read the complete series, so of course, I had to start over at the beginning. This is small-town Texas where life is hard running a big cattle ranch, what with the parents deceased and just Grady and Savannah to take care of business. Savannah loves roses -- after all, this is Texas! And especially, she loves old, antique roses.
So as she goes to a ghost town in search of old ros
Usagi Tsukino
Dec 11, 2012 Usagi Tsukino rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-f
Uhm... Could've been 2,5 stars but no-- too many things left out, I mean for example the "story" between Grady and Caroline (and her baby Maggie), and that idiot of the main female character that doesn't realize that her younger brother is an asshole. =/ Whatever.

Edit: Wait, is that a series? Now, I see. So that's why there's many things left out. But I don't have the other books, so I won't know what will happen to the other characters. Oh, well.
Mitabird

I really wanted to like this since I read it due to a friend's recommendation, but I didn't. The male characters in this book were not smart and Savannah should have just turned tail and run as far away from all of them as she could. She was the only one with a lick of sense and I hated that she had to deal with one domineering brother, a manipulative self-centered brother and an indecisive love interest. She could have done a lot better on her own.
Karie
Jul 02, 2013 Karie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-on-kindle
I almost stopped reading this book about 20 times...but each time I read a little the progress moved so quickly I thought it would be a quick read to finish. So I trudged along. But seriously - at times I preferred not reading anything than picking this up. Not because it was "bad" but because it just wasn't good enough to keep my attention. Am glad I finished it though just so I know how it ended (although it was pretty predictable).
Barb
Mar 07, 2014 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Savannah Weston lives quietly on the family ranch with her brother, Grady. Until a stranger named Laredo Smith comes along--a disenchanted cowboy who just might change Savannah's life!
Both characters are driven by lack of experience. Yet neither has felt this way before.
The characters are unforgettable. You feel their pain, confusion and happiness. This
was one of my favorite Macomber books. 5 stars.
Kshydog
Oct 21, 2013 Kshydog rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Loved the character Savannah who was able to just live her life even with a cranky brother Grady. Enjoyed her meeting and getting to know Laredo who maintained decent values while also being independent. Glad that there was humor in the story while showing town people caring for each other. Could not stand her brother Richard and how he could so manipulate Savannah - she lost my respect at that point.
Yekaterina
Dec 20, 2013 Yekaterina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Savannah lives on her parents farm land with her oldest brother. After their parents death and younger brothers betrayal, Savannah and Grady worked their twenties away to save their family land. Being rebellious, Savannah meets a total stranger and brings him home. As if that's not more than enough on Grady's plate- their younger brother shows up.
This is a great , easy, quick read.
Haley
I don't know what I was expecting when I picked this up tonight. But it certainly wasn't this. And I can't say that I like this author yet. This is my very first Debbie Macomber and so far the appeal is limited. But I will try again and see what happens next ;)
Also I was looking for light and fun and romantic and honestly didn't get to much of that. Plus, dear little Richard is such a creep.
Robin Clemons
Oct 08, 2014 Robin Clemons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I haven't read these books in the proper order but have been enthralled by each story. Reading these books in order would be preferable, however, the stories being told allow for one's imagination to fill in the gaps.

I would recommend this book to ANY young adult all the way up to an octogenarian.
Karen
May 21, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Well I wasn’t should how much I was like the series I compare to some other Debbie Macomber series like cedar cove but I have say that this was a pleasant surprise! I really enjoy this book and I would say this is a good read!
Kim Dempsey
Jun 13, 2015 Kim Dempsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story was actually realistic in that it portrayed a family broken up by death and one family member losing all trust from his siblings.
I won't spoil the ending, but its a great summer read.
Janice Smith
May 26, 2015 Janice Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lonesome Cowboy

The first in the series of Heart of Texas and a great lead in to it. Loved that the ending leaves you looking forward to seeing where the story goes in the rest of the series. Really enjoy seeing when love wins.
Teresa Scott
Aug 10, 2015 Teresa Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a new series for me by Debbie Macomber. So far I have enjoyed he characters and the plot was interesting. I am anxious to see how everything gets tied together in the end. This would be a quick beach read.
'Chele
Sep 26, 2013 'Chele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for something light to read/listen to after my last book and Debbie Macomber did not disappoint. A mysterious cowboy comes to town and steals the heart of a strong, independent woman. Living in the Hill Country, Debbie Macomber nailed the setting.
  • Quinn (Wyoming Sky, #1)
  • Night Whispers
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #3.5 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • The Midwife's Legacy
  • Sold to the Sheikh
  • Ayah Paro Waktu
  • A Convenient Bridegroom
  • Expecting the Playboy's Heir
  • 3, 2, 1... Married!: Catch a Cowboy, Collide with a Single Daddy, Get Personal
  • The Virgin's Seduction
  • Wife Against Her Will (Harlequin Presents, #2544)
  • Menaklukkan Calon Istri [To Woo A Wife]
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 990 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

Heart of Texas (8 books)
  • Texas Two-Step (Heart of Texas #2)
  • Caroline's Child (Heart of Texas #3)
  • Dr. Texas (Heart of Texas #4)
  • Nell's Cowboy (Heart of Texas #5)
  • Lone Star Baby (Heart of Texas #6)
  • Promise, Texas (Heart of Texas #7)
  • Return to Promise (Heart of Texas #8)

“The truth was she did love him. She loved him for the gentle care he gave her roses. For his loving way with animals. For his honesty. For his tender patience with Maggie and, most important, for the joy he brought into her life.” 0 likes