Start by marking “A World of Baby Names” as Want to Read:
A World of Baby Names

A World of Baby Names

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In an increasingly multicultural world, children's names now reflect the diversity of our heritage. Offering more creative naming options than ever before, A World of Baby Names is the ultimate guide to names from dozens of cultures and countries.

Each chapter focuses on the names from a specific country, region, or category, including little-known detail about naming custo

Published February 1st 1996 by Perigee Trade

To ask other readers questions about A World of Baby Names, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World of Baby Names

The Baby Name Wizard by Laura WattenbergBeyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana by Linda RosenkrantzThe Baby Name Bible by Pamela Redmond SatranThe Complete Book of Baby Names by Lesley BoltonBeyond Ava & Aiden by Linda Rosenkrantz
Baby Name Books
18th out of 106 books — 24 voters
Amazing Lemonade Recipes To Thirst For! by Amber RichardsNight Watch by Terry PratchettA World of Baby Names by Teresa NormanThe Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerCompensation, Adequate by Andrew Hussie
Books That Have Changed My Life
3rd out of 5 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

May 26, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I checked out two baby-names-by-region books, this one and The Best Baby Names in the World. This was the better of the two, definitely.
Karen/K.L. Docter
Sep 06, 2014 Karen/K.L. Docter rated it it was amazing
Excellent, comprehensive naming book which fits my needs as a writer. Naming characters is so much easier now.
Sophie
Lots and lots of name, separated by cultural origin. Probably a great resource for a writer, but less so for future parents. Realistically the way the book is organized, there are only a few relevant chapters to any particular family. But if you're an author looking for authentic names for a new story, go for it.
Laini
Mar 06, 2012 Laini rated it it was amazing
I like it more than just the generic name books. For those of us who write, it's good because if you need a character of a certain ethnicity/nationality, it can help you come up with a good male or female name.
Heather
Jun 08, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
I suppose we need to give this little boy a name before he is born in October.

Well we have it narrowed down to 12 combinations of first and middle names. Let's see if we can get it down to only 1 or 2.
Kara Griffin
Jan 22, 2010 Kara Griffin rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I have a horrible time coming up with names when writing. This book is a great help. I especially like that it gives pronunciations of the names and separates them by origin and then sex.
Cherie
May 15, 2010 Cherie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
An indispensible volume for any writer. The names are divided into sections by ethnicity/nationality, so you can easily browse names. Also includes some basic info about the names.
Nascha
Apr 29, 2009 Nascha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, reference
Excellent book for new parents and for writers looking for very specific names for characters. I use it as a writer but I am sure I will use it again when I become a parent.
Melina
Aug 23, 2009 Melina rated it really liked it
A very nice, exhaustive name book. Fairly accurate, but a bit clumsy in the presentation. But overall, def. worth getting.
Summer
Dec 29, 2007 Summer rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
I love the format of this book. There are chapters for each country/language/culture.
Abby
Jun 06, 2013 Abby rated it really liked it
Shelves: bf-ec-birth
it was well organized. I enjoyed perusing the names by region. :-)
Judy
Sep 14, 2007 Judy rated it liked it
Shelves: names, non-fiction
Good for names from different cultures - organized by culture.
Farishta
Farishta marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Balakrishna
Balakrishna marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Amruta
Amruta marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Magit Obadiah
Magit Obadiah is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2016
Karan Bajaj
Karan Bajaj marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Shaynah
Shaynah rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Alban Aliu
Alban Aliu marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Stacey Ace
Stacey Ace marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Brigiett Hesford
Brigiett Hesford marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
amber
amber marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Robin Deffendall
Robin Deffendall rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Naomi Washburn
Naomi Washburn marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Annie Keeney
Annie Keeney rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015