Start by marking “A World of Baby Names” as Want to Read:
A World of Baby Names

A World of Baby Names

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In an increasingly multicultural world, children's names now reflect the diversity of our heritage. Offering more creative naming options than ever before, A World of Baby Names is the ultimate guide to names from dozens of cultures and countries.

Each chapter focuses on the names from a specific country, region, or category, including little-known detail about naming custo

Published February 1st 1996 by Perigee Trade

To ask other readers questions about A World of Baby Names, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World of Baby Names

The Baby Name Wizard by Laura WattenbergBeyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana by Linda RosenkrantzThe Baby Name Bible by Pamela Redmond SatranBeyond Ava & Aiden by Linda RosenkrantzThe Book of Elf Names by The Silver Elves
Baby Name Books
14th out of 104 books — 19 voters
Amazing Lemonade Recipes To Thirst For! by Amber RichardsNight Watch by Terry PratchettA World of Baby Names by Teresa NormanThe Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerCompensation, Adequate by Andrew Hussie
Books That Have Changed My Life
3rd out of 5 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

May 26, 2014 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I checked out two baby-names-by-region books, this one and The Best Baby Names in the World. This was the better of the two, definitely.
Karen Docter
Excellent, comprehensive naming book which fits my needs as a writer. Naming characters is so much easier now.
Sophie
Lots and lots of name, separated by cultural origin. Probably a great resource for a writer, but less so for future parents. Realistically the way the book is organized, there are only a few relevant chapters to any particular family. But if you're an author looking for authentic names for a new story, go for it.
Laini
I like it more than just the generic name books. For those of us who write, it's good because if you need a character of a certain ethnicity/nationality, it can help you come up with a good male or female name.
Heather
I suppose we need to give this little boy a name before he is born in October.

Well we have it narrowed down to 12 combinations of first and middle names. Let's see if we can get it down to only 1 or 2.
Kara Griffin
I have a horrible time coming up with names when writing. This book is a great help. I especially like that it gives pronunciations of the names and separates them by origin and then sex.
Cherie
An indispensible volume for any writer. The names are divided into sections by ethnicity/nationality, so you can easily browse names. Also includes some basic info about the names.
Heather Moss
I collect baby name books because I love names. I've spent my whole life writing lists of names I like. This is one huge book of names from around the world. Fascinating.
Nascha
Excellent book for new parents and for writers looking for very specific names for characters. I use it as a writer but I am sure I will use it again when I become a parent.
Melina
A very nice, exhaustive name book. Fairly accurate, but a bit clumsy in the presentation. But overall, def. worth getting.
Summer
I love the format of this book. There are chapters for each country/language/culture.
Abby
it was well organized. I enjoyed perusing the names by region. :-)
Judy
Good for names from different cultures - organized by culture.
Rewan  Ehab
Rewan Ehab marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Names through the Ages African-American Baby Name Book World of Baby Names, a (Revised)