Start by marking “Candle In The Window” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Candle In The Window

Christina Dodd

Candle In The Window (Medieval Series #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,804 ratings  ·  97 reviews

Lady Saura of Roget lives a lonely life of servitude—her fortune controlled by her cruel, unscrupulous stepfather. Yet it is she who has been called upon to brighten the days of Sir William of Miraval, a proud and noble knight who once swore to live or perish by the sword . . . until his world was engulfed in agonizing darkness. Summoned to Sir William's castle, the raven

Mass Market Paperback, 437 pages
Published April 1991 by Harper Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Candle In The Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candle In The Window

LibraryLass
I liked this one. I didn't see any 'rape' scenes at all in this so am not sure where some readers are coming from. I enjoyed all of this esp. the hero being besotted with the heroine before she knew her feelings. This is pretty opposite to what most hist.romances do where the man is always the last to discover he is in love.
The chemistry was good and the heroine being blind worked really well. The only clanger for me was that sometimes Saura was confident and other times she was supposedly insec
Anna D.
3.5 stars, rounded up...

I really do enjoy medieval romances, the highland men/warriors are of so deliciously big, muscular, and masculine! But then turn into putty at the hands of the heroines. Love that!

I would say that William is the standard medieval hero we love to love – a big, strong man with a bit of a temper that is never misplaced or abusive. He’s intelligent, clever, insightful, skillful (if not the best) as a warrior, rich, powerful, and loves his family – and is good with children, a
Kristine
Christina Dodd is one of my go-to authors. I love her writing, although I admit that her older stuff is not usually what I read. Candle in the Window is the story of Lady Saura and Sir William. During battle William is injured, losing his sight. William's father comes to Saura asking her to come help William. Blinded since birth, Saura understands William's unwillingness to accept his new blindness and agrees to help.

When she arrives William is beyond surley. He's unkept and unkind. He barks at
Natasha
Candle in the Window by Christina Dodd is a mixed bag that ultimately is a failure as a book.

The first half of the book is a delight to read. Dodd masterfully adds historic facts from the earliest English history to her tale, giving a reader the feeling that the characters are not just in a historic setting, but living the history. Her characters are mostly simple, not drawing much depth and thus little attention from the reader – that, is, until we meet Lady Saura of Roget.

Saura is a wonderfu
Susan Ross
I would have given this book 4 or 5 stars if the story hadn't seemed to drag towards the end. It's about 100 pages longer than The Runaway Princess which I also just read and I don't think it needed to be.

The plot is wonderful with the exception of the nepharious plan to destroy the hero, which I think took too many pages to resolve. I realize the author wanted twists and turns in the story but to me it was like a car chase in a movie that lasts too long.

The relationship between the two lead ch
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Well, sorry, that book started okay, but just got stupider and stupider as it went along till I couldn't stand it anymore. Did not finish.

(view spoiler)
♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥
Overall Rating: 4.05 // Action: 3.0 / Emotion: 3.5 / Romance: 3.5 / Sensuous: 1.5 / Suspense: 3.5 // Historical Flavor: 4.5 // Laughter: 1 / Grins: 2 // Tears: 2 / Teary: 1

Candle In The Window: 4.05:
Although this was not the most exciting and emotionally touching medieval romance, Candle In The Window, was a very enjoyable read that never let the reader's interest waver.

Hero: 4.0:
Sir William of Miraval: Even though Dodd failed to give William a multitude of layers to his personality, loved that
Regan Walker
Interesting Medieval with a Blind Heroine

Set in England in 1153 (at the time when Stephen was King of England and Matilda’s son Henry vied with him for the throne, this is the story of Lady Saura de Roget, a wellborn but blind heiress who has learned to use her abilities despite the lack of sight. When Roger de Miraval happens to see how well she runs her stepfather’s castle, he sees her as the solution to his son’s blindness caused by a battle injury. Sir William de Miraval is wallowing in self
Beatrizz1983
La verdad es que no soy muy partidaria de esta autora.. pero reconozco que esta novela me ha gustado bastante. Es un poco larga para ser una novela de Titania, ya que tiene casi quinientas páginas.. y en algún momento la lectura experimenta algún bajón.. pero aún así está muy bien. Es una novela tierna, de amor y superación.. que habla de una chica ciega.. una chica ciega.. y voy a meter un spoiler.. pero es algo que se sabe.. que no se va a curar.. Ella es ciega, lo tiene asumido, y vive con el ...more
Kathy
_inbetween_
Starting out in well written fashion, the middle part of the story annoyed me, but the book ended well again. It's a mix of Chadwick, Hunter and Medeiros, with the first probably the source and the last a copy. Like "Wild Hunt" there's a father who gets together with the older woman who cared for the heroine, a trusty hound, the uncertain time just before Henry takes over from Stephen, and a siege. While the politics might have been taken from Chadwick and were also used by Medeiros in "Bride", ...more
ARomanceLover
When William is blinded in battle his father brings home a self-sufficient young woman who been abused by her stepfather for her blindness and lusted after for her beauty. She brings William out of his sulks but soon there are devious plots afoot that put them both in danger.

I enjoyed the book very much but if was pretty lengthy. I loved all the historical detail and the warmth and humor in many parts. It almost made me tear up in parts but not quite so I couldn't give it 5 stars. Overall, I lo
Fanny Roswita Ria
Ini kali pertamanya gw baca novel terjemahan dg heroine yg tidak bs melihat atau buta dan tokoh hero yg juga mengalami kebutaan sementara. Awalnya ekspektasi gw, bakal dideskripsikan dg alur yg lambat tetapi Pengarang membawa ke alurnya yg buat penasaran dan terus pengen baca apa lagi di halaman berikutnya.

Bonusnya adalah hubungan yg begitu menyentuh antara para tokoh novel, dari Lord Peter dg Williams dan Kimball; Maud, Alden, Saura dan Clare; Rollo, Daudley, Blaise (adik tiri dari Saura, heroi
Iris
Francamente me encantó. Ya he leído libros con temáticas similares antes, lo saben, y me fascinan xD Soy fan de los romances históricos. Me encanta cuando los protagonistas son tan chocantes uno con el otro y, en este libro, sí que lo son. Lo único que no me encanta es que hay un momento en el que Saura es demasiado terca y, como William, me desesperé xD No sé cómo él lo soportó (?) Jajaja.
Por otro lado, hay un enemigo que me costó identificar. Primero pensé que estaba segura de quién se trataba
Miranda Davis
Fresh perspective and characters with unique challenges. I was glad I delved into a romance set in a much earlier time. Gracefully done a pleasure to read.
Ana Román
La mejor heroína de todas. Una historia de autosuperación preciosa.
Es la primera vez que me encuentro con una protagonista ciega en un libro de este estilo. Lo inusual del comienzo me atrapó desde el principio, una historia donde ambos carecen de la capacidad de ver. Ella desde que nació y él tras un accidente provocado por un traidor en las sombras que quiere verlo muerto.

-SPOILER-

Si hay algo que reprocharle al libro es la manera en la que él recupera la vista. Un recurso bastante manido: un go
Shannon
Having spent over a month trying to get through this book, I’m so freaking happy that I finally finished it. I went into this book with high hopes, but it ended up being really disappointing. It wasn’t so much that it was horrible. It was just so incredibly dull. I actually liked the beginning where Saura and William met. There were a few times where they had these cute scenes together, such as the bathing part, and I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. After (view spoiler) ...more
Cathy Beckett
What happens to a medieval warrior when he loses his sight? Does he feel useless and a burden? YES!!!

What happens when a young woman takes on the running of the bitter warrior's home? She helps him to learn to deal with his new circumstances.

What happens when they are abducted by his enemies? He gets injured trying to protect his woman. The blow to his head returns his eye sight and he learns that his teacher has never seen the light of day.

The love they share brings light into both of their wor
Juliana
Good medieval romance with a strong, admirable heroine and a wonderful, sensitive hero

Setting: Medieval England, 1153
Sensuality: 7

I greatly enjoyed Candle in the Window even though I don't normally read medieval historical romances - I'm more into the regency/Victorian setting. I am a great fan of Christina Dodd's novels, however, so I wanted to read this earlier work of hers (1991).

Saura and William were a wonderful pair and I enjoyed the interactions and chemistry between them. Saura was kind,
Marie
Bintang 3

Ini adalah kisah perjalanan hidup seorang gadis buta yg berusaha bertahan hidup di zaman para knigth di daratan Eropa yg keras.

Lady Saura of Roget gadis cantik dan pewaris yg kaya raya, memiliki cacat fisik buta sejak lahir. Tapi kekurangannya ini tidak membuatnya terbelakang. Saura adalah gadis yg tegar, cerdik dan cekatan dalam mengatur urusan rumah tangga dan sangat sensitif dengan suasana dan keadaan disekitarnya. Karena kekayaannya, Saura dipaksa ayah tirinya untuk tetap tinggal be
Katie(babs)
Candle in the Window is a true classic by Christina Dodd. The book is for any fan of Medieval England and a heroine, who even though is blind (and actually from birth and stays that way) is an incredible young lady who finds her self worth and a wonderful love with a knight and lord who matches her in everyway. Saura is the main reason to read this novel. This is such strong heroine who has such a problem as no sight and is able to function above most.

Saura doesn't let her blindness limit her.
Monty Cupcake
I really liked the first half of this book. It's funny & engaging & I love the strong backbone & keen intellect of the heroine. However, that all changes once the heroine & hero consummate their feelings. The hero turns from admiring the capable & strong willed heroine to wanting to completely dominate & control her. And the female in question becomes evasive & an emotional quagmire of self doubt.

I might finish this book at a later point this month because I am curio
Red
pertama-tama mari bertepuk tangan untuk Christina Dodd yang telah keluar dari comfort zone (sok tau sih) dengan menciptakan heroine yang buta. karena aku belum pernah baca yang seperti ini sebelumnya dari tema HR. awalnya aku juga nggak mau baca novel ini karena takut dengan cerita yang sedih; dengan banyaknya perasaan haru biru karena kebutaannya. ternyata sama sekali tidak ada. well, bukan karena kebutaan heroine-nya, malah hero dan perilaku sang ayah tiri yang bikin terenyuh dan kesel.
(sayang
P.
It's 1153 - and everyone's got issues! OTOH no one has the slightest inhibition. The beginning is readable but as the book goes on and on and on [and on] the hero and heroine get involved in many many many bizarre situations as they attempt to deal with their plenitudinous issues, which somehow makes them less and less interesting until finally you can't wait until it all ends.
Darnia
Ini apa pengaruh terjemahannya ato apa, tapi gw boring to the max baca ini! Hanya menikmati 1/5 awal, sisanya... (sampe dibelain masuk angin kok ya susah kelarnya).
Hanya suka pas Lady Saura of Roget belum ketahuan sebagai perempuan buta, cantik dan masih muda oleh Lord William. Begitu mereka berdua selesai diculik....perjuangan berat menyelesaikan novel ini dimulai :D
Kayaknya emg selera gw dengan para juri RITA awards beda jauh... :'(
Cherie
I just finished reading this and looked at some of the reviews to see if my impression was the same. I think the person who was abhorred by the "rape" misunderstood. Saura did not think she was raped. There was rumor going through the castle started by malcontents that she must have been raped for who would want a blind woman for anything serious. Saura's response on hearing the rumor was to declare that it was most pleasant if it was rape.

Anyway, I liked the story. It bogged down a couple of ti
kallirgos
Este libro me gusto mucho tiene los ingredientes precisos para ser así, la heroína tiene un carácter decidido, luchadora e Inteligente, aunque después de leer un buen rato descubres sentimientos escondidos que la torturan a la pobre, con El protagonista he sentido una fuerza asombrosa como si El fuera capaz de todo, en ningún momento temí por El ya que sentí que El era capaz de resolverlo todo, y eso que el también tuvo su cuota de tormento, me gusto este libro porque no llega a ser convencional ...more
Viridiana Ivashkov
No estoy muy acostumbrada a esta época pero la historia me pareció bastante entretenida y amena. Se nota que la autora investigó bastante sobre las costumbres de la edad media. Aunque hubo momentos que me parecieron tediosos y aburridos sin embargo eso no demerita el libro.
Borders Broad
I tried to finish this book. My favorite author Laura Kinsale recommended it. I wonder if the recommendation was one like Castle makes for those who watch the TV show. I am going to have to read another Dodd book before I decide she just isn't my type of author.
Amanda
Well, it's been a whopping 5 days since I finished this book, and although I sometimes (not often) review a book up to a month after reading, and have pretty good recall, I had to flip back through the book to remember what happened before writing this. The book was good, but not fascinating. I did enjoy reading it, and I liked that Saura was capable of handling so much on her own. (An excellent book on just how much the blind are capable of is Thunder Dog: A Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Tr ...more
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • By Arrangement (Medieval, #4)
  • Uncommon Vows
  • Shadowheart (Medieval Hearts, #2)
  • The Dragon Lord
  • Wicked Angel
  • Dark Champion (Dark Champion, #2)
  • The Warrior
  • Splendor
  • Blackheart
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Simply Love (Simply Quartet #2)
  • Charming the Prince (Fairy Tales, #1)
  • The Price Of Desire
  • Dream of Me/Believe in Me (Viking & Saxon, #1 & #2)
  • Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mad, Bad Duke (Nvengaria, #2)
  • Broken Wing
Christina's 2015 List of Stories:
— A PIRATE'S WIFE FOR ME: A new, full-length, Governess Brides historical (out now)
— THE RELATIVES: A new Virtue Falls Short Story (out now)
— VIRTUE FALLS in paperback (June 30)
— THAT SCANDALOUS EVENING reprint (June 30)
— OBSESSION FALLS: A new, full-length Virtue Falls novel (Sept 8)

Join Christina's mailing list for updates! http://christinadodd.com/newsletters/.
More about Christina Dodd...

Medieval Series (2 books)
  • Castles In The Air (Medieval, #2)
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1)

“I’ve been a foul-mouthed knave.” “Well, I don’t know.” “A beetle-headed malfeasor.” “Nothing so—” “A base, proud tottyhead.” He paused, but she said nothing. “Aren’t you going to object?” “No,” she drawled the word. “Humility is so refreshing in a man.” 1 likes
“The greatest knight in all of England, fallen from glory by a single blow. What a shame.” “A greater shame to dwell on it,” Charles suggested. “So shut your mouth, Arthur.” 0 likes