Start by marking “Our Little Secret” as Want to Read:
Our Little Secret

Our Little Secret

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
From the age of four, Duncan carried a terrible secret - his father was molesting him. Raised in a household where secrets and sick rituals were part of daily life, Duncan was manipulated, bullied and raped from the age of four for over a decade. This is his story. Desperate to escape his father's tyranny, he tried to kill himself with an overdose. After a six-year battle ...more
Paperback , 340 pages
Published March 8th 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Our Little Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Little Secret

Eva Leger
Apr 26, 2009 Eva Leger rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who already read this type of book
Recommended to Eva by: found on BM
Duncan fairhurst did an excellant job of getting his feelings across what what kind of insane hell his childhood AND his later years were like. I think most of us, I know I do, have a very, very hard time understanding how ANYONE can abuse a child. How much more difficult is it to understand how a parent abuses their own child?
How does a father come to the realization that it's okay to have his son touch him in such a way? How does that happen? How does this go undetected for SOOO LONG? Did no
Sheralin
Sep 25, 2008 Sheralin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is about a young boy who was being sexually abused by his own father. His mother treat her sister well but not him. Slowly his father had brian wash him. During bath time, his father would bath for him. From then, his father started to sexually abused him. Whenever he wants something, he would have to do a 'favour' for his father. Starting was just mild but as days go on, sexually abusing became a routine for him. Whenever his mum and sister went out, his father would take the opportu ...more
Teneal
Feb 21, 2012 Teneal rated it liked it
This is the story of a young boy who is sexually abused from the age of four through to fourteen. It is a terribly sad story.

I managed to not really cry that much through it. I think it was because the author remained very 'matter of fact' about it and presented his story like facts. It is disgusting the things he had to go through. It also really reinforced the fact that I've always known that my calling in life, career wise, is to help children like this. I really hope I follow it eventually.
Kate
Aug 27, 2007 Kate rated it it was ok
I read this book along with Please Daddy No. The author was abused for a decade from the age of four and suffered because of his father. The torment, rape and abuse that this poor man suffered is heartwrenching and disgusting. The fact that Duncan had the guts to prosecute his father and then write about it in order to help other people understand abuse is just mind blowing.
Kiri
Sep 07, 2011 Kiri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-shelf
This is a self biography of Duncan Fairhurst. It's about the suffering he went through while getting sexually abused by his father, and his struggle of getting a better life later on.
It's awful reading how it really happened, told by the victim himself. It's a terrifying story, disgusting at times. At some points you can put yourself in his place, so strong that you can almost feel the actions.

This is an amazing book. At some points in the book I had to cry. The story is so so so well written,
Joanne Jones
Apr 04, 2016 Joanne Jones rated it really liked it
I started this because I was in a funk with my reading so I thought I would read something that I haven't read for a while and I can say that this one is heartbreaking and disturbing and I can’t get FLICK out of my head!!!
I hate what people do to children and get away with it but not in this one, I even went onto the old Google and done some research hehe and I found some interesting stuff about the coppers in this book.
I'm not gonna go all out with this but it was sad what happened to a little
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
It seems wrong to give this book 4 stars when the description comes up with "Really Liked It". I didn't like. Not at all. It's a horrifying story made even worse because it is true. There is no glory in this book. Nothing that could make you think that it's "OK". I have had tears running down my cheeks as I've read it and do not want to read it again for a while. One comment made by the author is that the UK legal system is currently set up to favour the criminal and not the victim. How I wish t ...more
Andrea
Apr 21, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Well written book the provides the insight into the lives of a child that was painfully abused mentally and physically. Gives a good insight into the lives of both the abused and the abuser, giving positive hope that maybe the abused will not become an abuser. A definite read!!
Rachel Zylstra
Mar 15, 2010 Rachel Zylstra rated it it was amazing
Oh my god. Was so not prepared for this one. This was the first 'real-life abuse' book I bought. I now own too many. This was a real shocker. But I'm now addicted to the non-fiction survival stories that seem to be flooding the bookstores these days.
Jools
Aug 05, 2011 Jools rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Courageously written true story about one boy's fight to overcome the evil abuse by his father. A disturbing book - not for the faint-hearted.
Tonia
Feb 21, 2013 Tonia rated it really liked it
Sad and shocking but true...very good read
Erica Annuar
May 30, 2016 Erica Annuar rated it it was amazing
Every page had me tearing and my heart ripped. But the writer is an amazing man.. to overcome such horrible childhood.. He chose to be the better man..
Nathalie
Mar 13, 2016 Nathalie rated it really liked it
Its a very sad story with much details in it so many people don't like the book. I actually liked this true horrible story that it even made me cry a little.
Charlene
Aug 19, 2015 Charlene rated it liked it
A horrific story about domestic sexual abuse,but so worth the read!
Tracey Corbett
Jan 12, 2014 Tracey Corbett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so sad. I'm glad he got justice and found some form of happiness.
Jim
May 02, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, 21st-century
A shocking and insightful account of a father abusing his son and how the consequenses reach far beyond the abuse.
Karly Newitt
was graphic but still a story worth reading, even though I did feel a bit perverted reading it
Carolyn
Mar 26, 2010 Carolyn rated it it was ok
Not a good book to read when you're 13. Will re-read and update review.
Jessika
Apr 04, 2014 Jessika rated it really liked it
One more perspective, you can't have too many of those!
Alison Gray
A sad read
Natalie Dunn
Natalie Dunn marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Ashli St Denny
Ashli St Denny marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
christie jones
christie jones marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Jeffrey Pringle
Jeffrey Pringle rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Katy Barrow
Katy Barrow marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
andrea muir
andrea muir marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Bec Lane
Bec Lane marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Madeleine Young
Madeleine Young marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
  • Sweetie
  • Sold
  • Street Kid
  • How Could She?
  • The Step Child: A True Story of a Broken Childhood
  • Ma, He Sold Me for a Few Cigarettes
  • Hush, Little Baby
  • I Did Tell, I Did: The True Story of a Little Girl Betrayed by Those Who Should Have Loved Her
  • Vulpi (Thyla, #2)
  • Child C: Surviving a Foster Mother's Reign of Terror
  • Little Victim: Britain's Vulnerable Children and the Cops Who Rescue Them
  • Childhood Interrupted
  • Broken
  • Unbeaten
  • Mother from Hell: Two Brothers, a Sadistic Mother, a Childhood Destroyed
  • Don't You Love Your Daddy
  • Helpless: The True Story of a Neglected Girl Betrayed and Exploited by the Neighbour She Trusted
  • The Girl in the Wicker Basket