Our Little Secret

Our Little Secret

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The harrowing, but ultimately inspirational, story of a little boy betrayed by the person he loved most.

From the age of four, Duncan carried a terrible secre- his father was molesting him. The horrifying abuse escalated and he was raped and ruthlessly humiliated throughout his childhood.
Raisedin a household where secrets and sick rituals were part of daily life, Duncan wa...more
Paperback , 340 pages
Published March 8th 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2007)

Eva Leger
Apr 26, 2009 Eva Leger rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who already read this type of book
Recommended to Eva by: found on BM
Duncan fairhurst did an excellant job of getting his feelings across what what kind of insane hell his childhood AND his later years were like. I think most of us, I know I do, have a very, very hard time understanding how ANYONE can abuse a child. How much more difficult is it to understand how a parent abuses their own child?
How does a father come to the realization that it's okay to have his son touch him in such a way? How does that happen? How does this go undetected for SOOO LONG? Did no...more
Sheralin
This story is about a young boy who was being sexually abused by his own father. His mother treat her sister well but not him. Slowly his father had brian wash him. During bath time, his father would bath for him. From then, his father started to sexually abused him. Whenever he wants something, he would have to do a 'favour' for his father. Starting was just mild but as days go on, sexually abusing became a routine for him. Whenever his mum and sister went out, his father would take the opportu...more
Kate
I read this book along with Please Daddy No. The author was abused for a decade from the age of four and suffered because of his father. The torment, rape and abuse that this poor man suffered is heartwrenching and disgusting. The fact that Duncan had the guts to prosecute his father and then write about it in order to help other people understand abuse is just mind blowing.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
It seems wrong to give this book 4 stars when the description comes up with "Really Liked It". I didn't like. Not at all. It's a horrifying story made even worse because it is true. There is no glory in this book. Nothing that could make you think that it's "OK". I have had tears running down my cheeks as I've read it and do not want to read it again for a while. One comment made by the author is that the UK legal system is currently set up to favour the criminal and not the victim. How I wish t...more
Laykin Carrier
So shocking and confronting.

This book was actually not so much a "page turner" but more a book where i was afraid to turn the page and find out what awful things had happened in Duncan Fairhurst's life.

I took many breaks reading this book, just little 5-10min breathers to really absorb what i had just read and really process that this kind of thing could happen.

The shocking events told are written in a kind of casual way, which really disturbed me.

I REALLY enjoy reading stories that get under...more
Teneal
This is the story of a young boy who is sexually abused from the age of four through to fourteen. It is a terribly sad story.

I managed to not really cry that much through it. I think it was because the author remained very 'matter of fact' about it and presented his story like facts. It is disgusting the things he had to go through. It also really reinforced the fact that I've always known that my calling in life, career wise, is to help children like this. I really hope I follow it eventually....more
Andrea
Well written book the provides the insight into the lives of a child that was painfully abused mentally and physically. Gives a good insight into the lives of both the abused and the abuser, giving positive hope that maybe the abused will not become an abuser. A definite read!!
Rachel Zylstra
Oh my god. Was so not prepared for this one. This was the first 'real-life abuse' book I bought. I now own too many. This was a real shocker. But I'm now addicted to the non-fiction survival stories that seem to be flooding the bookstores these days.
Jools
Courageously written true story about one boy's fight to overcome the evil abuse by his father. A disturbing book - not for the faint-hearted.
Tonia
Sad and shocking but true...very good read
Kiri
This is a self biography of Duncan Fairhurst. It's about the suffering he went through while getting sexually abused by his father, and his struggle of getting a better life later on.
It's awful reading how it really happened, told by the victim himself. It's a terrifying story, disgusting at times. At some points you can put yourself in his place, so strong that you can almost feel the actions.

This is an amazing book. At some points in the book I had to cry. The story is so so so well written,...more
Tracey Corbett
This book is so sad. I'm glad he got justice and found some form of happiness.
Jim
A shocking and insightful account of a father abusing his son and how the consequenses reach far beyond the abuse.
Karly Newitt
was graphic but still a story worth reading, even though I did feel a bit perverted reading it
Carolyn
Not a good book to read when you're 13. Will re-read and update review.
Jessika
One more perspective, you can't have too many of those!
Alison Gray
A sad read
Valerie Kelly
Valerie Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jaimee
Jaimee marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jill B A
Jill B A marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Ilenna Rosén
Ilenna Rosén marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014