Start by marking “Good Night, Mr. Night” as Want to Read:
Good Night, Mr. Night

Good Night, Mr. Night

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Each evening as gentle Mr. Night walks the earth closing the flowers, soothing the animals, and calming the sea, he brings a special magic to the world. When he arrives at your window, you'll know it's time for bed at last. . . .
Board Book, 26 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Good Night, Mr. Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Night, Mr. Night

Sam Grace
Jan 04, 2016 Sam Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really did it for me. It's just the right length for reading aloud to a baby, the text is lovely, and the pictures are good. What I liked best, though, was that the soothing jobs of Mr. Night are the kinds of things that are more frequently identified with maternal femininity. In short, I thought this was a great one for people interested in normalizing less oppressive gender expectations. Even though I already own Yuyi Morales's book Nochecita, I think I'm gonna add this to the to-o ...more
Erin
Good Night, Mr. Night is a story told by a young boy about Mr. Night, he who helps the world settle into sleep when the sun goes down. The boy describes each activity Mr. Night does each night such as closing the flowers, quieting the animals, and calming the sea. The illustrations are surprisingly bright for a bedtime book with vibrant oranges, reds, greens, and blues; however, this only helps emphasize Mr. Night even more with his pitch-black and twinkling star-filled body. This book is defini ...more
Cath Van
May 11, 2013 Cath Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a delightful book about Mr. Night who puts the world to bed and helps children fall asleep. When hour by nightly hour you are hoping to fall asleep, wouldn't you wish for a Mr. Night? I'm convinced he would come in if only he knew you were waiting for him. Maybe I'll try looking at the lovely drawings next time I lie waiting for sleep.
Kristen
I think this would be good for preschool or toddler story time. I read it in my preschool story time and the kids enjoyed it. They really engaged with the pictures. I really like the calming, soothing text and pictures. Dan Yaccarino was an author/illustrator I had never heard of before becoming a children's librarian and now I just love him!
Maureen
Jul 23, 2012 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is calm and sweet making it a perfect bedtime story. I met Mr. Yaccarino at a conference and was amazed at his wide talent. He wrote this book in 16 minutes at Starbucks while pitching his artwork. The illustrations are mostly bold and bright, while Mr. Night is dark and starry. Great contrast.
Connie
Jun 24, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
My mother doesn't get this book (she calls it "The Mister Death Book"!), but my nieces enjoy it and I love it.

Very calm, very repetitive, introducing a friendly (NOT DEATH-LIKE!) nighttime character to lull everybody to sleep.
Kaethe
A fabulous going-to-bed book for toddlers or preschoolers. The art is bold, and yet, soothing. The personage of Mr. Night is so clever, with all the stars and the moon. It reminds me of "Goodnight Moon" without being annoying.
Lauren
Jun 12, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 1 year old loves this book! He calls out, "moon moon" to request it. While reading the book, he likes to taps the pictures like Mr. Night does. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is relaxing.
Emily
Feb 05, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
One of my very favorite children's books. A gift from Victoria - thank you! I read this to Jonah at bedtime about once a week. Great story, fantastic pictures. Short, sweet, simple, good. I never tire of it.
Erin
Dec 28, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My three-year-old's new favorite bedtime read. She also has the stuffed Mr. Night doll that she sleeps with to remind her to stay in bed until Mr Night goes to sleep! ; )
Jillian
Nov 05, 2009 Jillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Best bedtime story I have ever read! Absolute favorite with my students.
Nicole
Mar 06, 2009 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: matthew
creepy book! Matthew seemed ok with it, but Dan and I despised it.
Trinka
Mar 03, 2008 Trinka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moms and Dads and their babies
Recommended to Trinka by: Idyllwilde
Most wonderful bedtime story for teeny weeny ones!
Gina
Gina added it
Jan 16, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Desmond
Desmond rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Denis A.
Denis A. rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Trinity
Trinity rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Smith Family
Smith Family rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Kaisa
Kaisa marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Exhibitions of his work have been held throughout the world. He is also the creator of the animated TV Series Willa's Wild Life and Oswald.

Mr. Yaccarino lives in New York City with his wife and two children.
More about Dan Yaccarino...