Start by marking “Good Night, Mr. Night” as Want to Read:
Good Night, Mr. Night

Good Night, Mr. Night

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Each evening as gentle Mr. Night walks the earth closing the flowers, soothing the animals, and calming the sea, he brings a special magic to the world. When he arrives at your window, you'll know it's time for bed at last. . . .
Board Book, 26 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Good Night, Mr. Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Night, Mr. Night

Erin
Good Night, Mr. Night is a story told by a young boy about Mr. Night, he who helps the world settle into sleep when the sun goes down. The boy describes each activity Mr. Night does each night such as closing the flowers, quieting the animals, and calming the sea. The illustrations are surprisingly bright for a bedtime book with vibrant oranges, reds, greens, and blues; however, this only helps emphasize Mr. Night even more with his pitch-black and twinkling star-filled body. This book is defini ...more
Cath Van
This is a delightful book about Mr. Night who puts the world to bed and helps children fall asleep. When hour by nightly hour you are hoping to fall asleep, wouldn't you wish for a Mr. Night? I'm convinced he would come in if only he knew you were waiting for him. Maybe I'll try looking at the lovely drawings next time I lie waiting for sleep.
Kristen
I think this would be good for preschool or toddler story time. I read it in my preschool story time and the kids enjoyed it. They really engaged with the pictures. I really like the calming, soothing text and pictures. Dan Yaccarino was an author/illustrator I had never heard of before becoming a children's librarian and now I just love him!
Maureen
The story is calm and sweet making it a perfect bedtime story. I met Mr. Yaccarino at a conference and was amazed at his wide talent. He wrote this book in 16 minutes at Starbucks while pitching his artwork. The illustrations are mostly bold and bright, while Mr. Night is dark and starry. Great contrast.
Connie
My mother doesn't get this book (she calls it "The Mister Death Book"!), but my nieces enjoy it and I love it.

Very calm, very repetitive, introducing a friendly (NOT DEATH-LIKE!) nighttime character to lull everybody to sleep.
Kaethe
A fabulous going-to-bed book for toddlers or preschoolers. The art is bold, and yet, soothing. The personage of Mr. Night is so clever, with all the stars and the moon. It reminds me of "Goodnight Moon" without being annoying.
Lauren
My 1 year old loves this book! He calls out, "moon moon" to request it. While reading the book, he likes to taps the pictures like Mr. Night does. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is relaxing.
Emily
Feb 05, 2008 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
One of my very favorite children's books. A gift from Victoria - thank you! I read this to Jonah at bedtime about once a week. Great story, fantastic pictures. Short, sweet, simple, good. I never tire of it.
Erin
My three-year-old's new favorite bedtime read. She also has the stuffed Mr. Night doll that she sleeps with to remind her to stay in bed until Mr Night goes to sleep! ; )
Jillian
Best bedtime story I have ever read! Absolute favorite with my students.
Nicole
creepy book! Matthew seemed ok with it, but Dan and I despised it.
Trinka
Mar 03, 2008 Trinka rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moms and Dads and their babies
Recommended to Trinka by: Idyllwilde
Most wonderful bedtime story for teeny weeny ones!
Reida
Reida marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Reida
Reida added it
Nov 08, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Yoshimi
Yoshimi marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Sarah added it
Jul 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Exhibitions of his work have been held throughout the world. He is also the creator of the animated TV Series Willa's Wild Life and Oswald.

Mr. Yaccarino lives in New York City with his wife and two children.
More about Dan Yaccarino...
Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree) The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau Doug Unplugged Unlovable Every Friday