Start by marking “The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #13)

The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse #13)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In Margaret Frazer's eagerly-awaited new medieval mystery, the "devout yet human"** nun Dame Frevisse finds herself embroiled in a family's turmoil. When she accompanies a nunnery pupil and her mother as they return home, a family member is suddenly killed under questionable circumstances. As secrets are dragged out into the light, Dame Frevisse realizes that there is a mu ...more
Published January 6th 2004 by Berkley Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about The Hunter's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunter's Tale

Kathy Davie
Thirteenth in the Sister Frevisse medieval mystery series and revolving around a Benedictine nun with a head for puzzles. The story is set in St. Frideswide's nunnery in northern Oxfordshire in the mid-1400s.

My Take
Frazer catches us up on what's happening at St. Frideswide's along with an unexpected expedition…sigh…it's a sad tale and difficult for Frevisse as it goes against what normally feels right. And I'm all for the final decision. It's only fair.

As usual, Frazer delivers a compelling sto
Mari
Very interesting... can't remember the last time I read a murder mystery based in the middle ages. I wasn't familiar with the series, just picked it up at random, but it was easy to get into without being familiar with the characters etc.

It's been a week or so since I read it so apologies for forgetting names -- overall a nice amount of attention was given to characters, though I think the mom was a bit overdone. I felt like I was being hit over the head with "SHE HAS BEEN HOLDING IN ALL HER EMO
Kirsten
Good for a holiday read- 15th cent England, despised knights, plucky nuns... As far as historical mysteries go this was very enjoyable, the hero, Dame Frevisse, is very likable (and more believable than Sister Fidelma)
Catherine  Mustread
Reading my way through this series in order, this being #13 in the Dame Frevisse Medieval Mysteries, known as Sister Frevisse series on Goodreads. I love the time period as well as Frevisse's sharp mind and the various situations and crimes in which she becomes involved. The first book in the series, The Novice's Tale, was set in 1431 and The Hunter's Tale is set in 1448, so throughout the series is seen the passing of time in the nunnery, the lives of the sisters, and the history of England.

Thi
Susan
I've really enjoyed this series, which I've read in order; some installments have felt weaker or more tedious, but I think "Hunter's Tale" was well done. I love well-written historical fiction and mysteries, and Dame Frevisse has the additional attraction of being very human - aware of her own faults and honest about them. Frevisse has got a sharp wit and is not afraid to show her intelligence, which was not always welcome and certainly never encouraged for women in 15th century England; as I've ...more
Susan
This was very good but depressing. A cruel man, who made his family miserable all his life, is murdered and no one grieves or is concerned with finding out the murderer's identity. In fact, no one wants to know because it must have been one of the family. But even after his death, this man's cruelty continues, abetted by others, through what is in his will. In the end, Dame Frevisse unravels the mystery and the family begins to heal.
Katie Bee
This is my favorite Frevisse mystery so far. Beautifully done. The characters are vibrant, and I loved them; the atmosphere of the book perfectly matched the plot. Frevisse & Johane's relationship was also really well done. And finally, on a craftsman's level, I liked how Frazer bookended two murders of unredeemably bad people around an accident that took somebody everyone in the book cared deeply for. The contrast was masterful.
Carole
I really enjoyed this book. It is a psychological murder mystery set in medieval England. The details are authentic and fascinating. The research has clearly been done but it is subtle rather than obvious. The characters are well drawn, both male and female. A very good summer read. Apparently this is book #13 of the series so I shall go back and try to find some earlier ones.
Alison Dellit
A tense psychological mystery set in a small and terrorised family, this book explores the implications of medieval mores regarding marraige, ownership and gender. One of the more memorable in the series, it also has a SLGHTLY greyer area of complexity to the morality.
Charlene Vickers
This was the Margaret Frazer that drew me into Dame Frevisse's world. Vivid characterization and almost an ode to the English countryside - I swear I could smell the new-mown hay. Well done indeed, and highly recommended.
Mary Newcomb
Sir Ralph Woderove is found dead, to no one's regret. Then his son dies and things get complicated. Dame Frevisse escorts the widow home and lands into a complicated situation. She does sort it all out, but most will never know.
Sandra Strange
This one's an ok mystery set in Medieval times, but with the complex relationships of a modern soap opera. I liked the puzzle and the intrigue, but not so much the denouement.
Lisa
A standout among the Sister Frevisse mystery novels, this entry in the series leads to an ambiguous outcome in relation to justice--man's and God's--that is somewhat disturbing to Frevisse but is satisfying to the reader. Fine insight into the possible lifelong effects of an abusive, powerful father upon his wife, children, and the household and workers he controls. Also an interesting look at the machinations of a man without integrity to gain power and the near-helplessness of a woman he targe ...more
Kilian Metcalf
Not one of the most memorable of the Dame Frevisse stories, but still worth reading. The inspiration for the book came from the author's desire to show how dogs, especially hunting dogs, fit into the lives of wealthier people. I was confused most of the time trying to follow the multitude of suspects, all of whom hated the victim, and a complicated subplot involving a will. Still, a satisfying read. On to The Widow's Tale in my desire to honor Margaret Frazer's memory by reading all the books in ...more
Erica
It had potential, but Frazer just kept harping on how much everyone hated the murder victim that why would anyone bother trying to figure out the crime? And not that it was particularly surprising who did it in the end. Dame Frevisse didn't really understand why she was involved but then starts investigating the murder anyhow? Not very convincing. Interesting plotting and positioning for power during this feudal time, but it needs a lot of editing.
Francoise
Unlike any other mystery story I've ever read. Quite impressive knowledge of life style of northern Europe on the manor without overwhelming the story with detail. Made it easy to visualize the setting. Great insights into human nature. I would definitely read more of this series.
Cathie
It's 1448 and Dame Frevisse is involved with the murder of a much-hated man, Sir Ralph Woderove. No one appears to be grieving for him, not his wife, nor his children. He treated his hunting dogs better than people. Very fast read and good story line.
Allison
I liked it, but...only like. It seemed kinda like this was a rough draft - some of the sentences had to be read four or five times to make any sense, and I was constantly getting deja vu - did she really reuse paragraphs?...
Laura Rodd
There was a lot to like in this series. The time period is interesting, the insights into how nuns lived in the 1600's in England and other historic trivia but I preferred others in this series.
Virginia
The characters were not well developed. The plot had to be explained to the reader because the sophistication and threading of themes and ideas was completely lacking.
Thalia
Intriguing family dynamics (across families), and Dame Frevisse is not always the most sympathetic character, which makes this book an interest-piquing read.
Mary
This Dame Frevisse mystery had more than the usual one murder and it had a refreshing change-up in how the story was told.
I liked that.
Susan Youngman
Aug 26, 2007 Susan Youngman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all medieval enthusiastics
Great mystery set in the fifteenth century. Unfortunately the rights of women were pretty sparce! So sad!
Cathy
I thought this was just "OK." I try another one or two and see how they sit with me.
Marilyn
I like this series, since I like the historical aspect of the setting.
Rebecca
I have enjoyed several of Dame Frevisse's mysteries. I really liked this one.
Chrysty
This is my favorite book in the series and got me hooked on them.
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • The Leper's Bell (Sister Fidelma, #14)
  • Girl in a Red Tunic (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #8)
  • The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)
  • The Summer of the Danes (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #18)
Margaret Frazer is a pen name used at first by Mary Monica Pulver Kuhfeld and Gail Lynn Frazer writing in tandem for a series of historical medieval mysteries featuring Dame Frevisse. After the sixth novel, the works are written by Gail Frazer alone, and the name has subsequently been used exclusively by her. A second series of novels by Ms Frazer set in the same time and place feature the player/ ...more
More about Margaret Frazer...

Sister Frevisse (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Novice's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #1)
  • The Servant's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #2)
  • The Outlaw's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #3)
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • The Boy's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #5)
  • The Murderer's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #6)
  • The Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse, #7)
  • The Maiden's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #8)
  • The Reeve's Tale (Sister Frevisse #9)
  • The Squire's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #10)
The Novice's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #1) The Servant's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #2) The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4) A Play of Isaac (Joliffe the Player, #1) The Sempster's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #15)