Start by marking “Eerie America: Travel Guide of the Macabre” as Want to Read:
Eerie America: Travel Guide of the Macabre

Eerie America: Travel Guide of the Macabre

America is the land of the beautiful, but it is also a land of mystery and many haunted and bizarre places. With 150 images, addresses, and directions, go state-by-state to tour the macabre side of the United States. Journey to haunted old battleships, abandoned prisons, creepy lunatic asylums, the Amityville Horror House, the Winchester House, museums such as Edgar Allan ...more
Published May 1st 2014 by Schiffer Publishing (first published December 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Eerie America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eerie America

The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Review: EERIE AMERICA

If you're an aficionado of the occult and the paranormal, or if you just enjoy the titillation of the supposedly (and possibly real) spooky, and you're exhausted from hunting piecemeal on the Internet for locales and information--relax, the void in your life is about to be filled. Authors and researchers Eric R. Vernor and Kevin Eads have done the fieldwork and the footwork for you.

EERIE AMERICA gives you, state by alphabetical state, the right locales, illustrations, and ap
Lisa
Oct 24, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: wackynonfiction
Eerie America goes state by state documenting weird places to visit, spooky places to sleep and creepy places to eat. The layout was very conducive for making this a widely appealing and fun, quick read.

I was entertained reading about a few places I've visited that made it in the book. Kate, that Mutter Museum in Philadelphia we went to a few years back (that I think Susan Dognaux told us about) was in there.

Overall, a nice way to walk into the Halloween season. I wouldn't buy the book for mys
Jillyn
Feb 08, 2014 Jillyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, requested
Four and a Half Stars, rounded up.

---

This book is a travel guide featuring over a hundred creepy and dark spots for your inner creeper. From restaurants and hotels that just might have a ghost or two to historical sites where the gravest acts happened, Eerie America is there to help you add a little bit of the macabre to your next vacation across the states.

When I saw this book, I knew I had to read it. In the words of Lydia from Beetlejuice, "Live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, mysel
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/reviews/...

Eerie America is a travel guide of the macabre. The author takes the reader on a ride through America, through all the States, and stops by to visit the most macabre spots out there. With beautiful photographs and an atmospheric layout design, this is a great guide for people wanting to experience the more macabre side of the United States.

However, as a person more interested in the hauntings than the traveling itself
Margaret Sholders
May 03, 2014 Margaret Sholders rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting book. I believe in the Paranormal. I have seen things. So I had to check out this book. It wasn't what I expected. I thought it would be cut and dry boring. No Way! The authors have some of the best photos of places checked out in this book. There are several states used . There are the usual, almost overdone, famous locales but then they add smaller interesting sites. This book doesn't just show you places to explore they also give you places to eat and stay with times an ...more
Nicholas Aune
Jun 29, 2015 Nicholas Aune rated it liked it
I'm a sucker for these kinds of books. I love abandoned buildings, local folk tales, ghost stories... This is a great book for those equally into weird and wonderful tourism
Sharon Tyler
Jul 24, 2014 Sharon Tyler rated it liked it
Eerie America: Travel Guide of the Macabre by Eric R. Vernor and Kevin Eads is a nonfiction book for children about the more unusual attractions around the United States, with a slant towards the haunted and most interesting. there is alt least one attraction per state with more detailed descriptions for a few of the attractions. The book has 150 images, addresses, and directions, go state-by-state to tour the macabre side of the United States.

I found Eerie America to be an amusing diversion wit
Julie Dawson
Feb 04, 2014 Julie Dawson rated it liked it
Eerie America: Travel Guide of the Macabre is just under 200 pages of full color promotional literature for tourist attractions across America. And unfortunately, promotional literature is really all this collection is.

The guide is conveniently organized by state and includes at least one stop for every state in the union. Visually, the book is attractive and has that sideshow carny vibe. In that regard, it would be a fun coffee table book to leave out for guests to flip through or as a gift id
Libby
Jul 18, 2014 Libby rated it did not like it
Just no.
It's a shame, because it's a pretty book with lots of illustrations, pictures, and graphics. Then you get to the text. I could not make it through the first chapter. To quote from the very first description: "Visitor's say they see him walking the catwalks." A few pages over: "Their story comes from an Indian ghost who they call Mary." "This has been so important, a judge who was dying requested his body be taken to the location, the guest speaker told the class!"
Someone did a lot of
Mandy
Mar 18, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it
As the title suggests, this is no ordinary guide book but one that concentrates on the eerie, creepy and scarier places to visit in America. From abandoned prisons and lunatic asylums, to Edgar Allan Poe’s house or the New Orleans Voodoo Museum, the tourist attractions listed here are either haunted or macabre or both, and it’s a lot of fun discovering them, either on the page or in reality. As well as places to visit, there are places to eat and places to stay, such as Lizzie Borden’s B&B. ...more
Heather
Feb 24, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
If you are a lover of travel and the macabre, then this book is for you! The author takes you on a eerie journey through the many haunted locations through out the United States of America. It's a very fun read and the author includes contact details about each one of the locations, in case you yourself ever wants to visit one of these "scary" places!
Elizabeth
May 05, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes paranormal
I liked this book a lot. Everything in the book is organized by state. The print is fun and energetic and gives you enough information in a small paragraghs. I never realized how many places are haunted in America!! I am planning on making pit stops in a few during my travels this summer!
LaGina
Dec 07, 2014 LaGina rated it it was amazing
State by state guide documenting weird places to visit, spooky places to sleep and creepy places to eat. There were a few places that I have been wanting to visit in this book and it just makes me want to add them to my summer to do list.
ceeeeg
Feb 27, 2014 ceeeeg rated it liked it
informative and would be an interesting tour guide book if one were traveling in the US.. but not a lot of in depth detail on various hauntings and the like, not enough photos...not as entertaining as i had hoped...

thanks to the author and publisher for allowing me a preview...
ReadingWench
Jan 28, 2014 ReadingWench rated it really liked it
Great book if you would like to see the off beat, haunted, places on your vacation.
Alana S
Jun 11, 2014 Alana S rated it really liked it
Want to check out so many of these places!!
Kristi
Kristi rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Alice
Alice rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Laleh
Laleh rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
MBybee
MBybee rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2014
Tiffany T
Tiffany T rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Maren
Maren marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Shofa Humairo
Shofa Humairo marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Mark Clinton
Mark Clinton marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Lisa Steadman
Lisa Steadman marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016