Start by marking “Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)” as Want to Read:
Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)

Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now #14)

During WWI, Cameron Townsend was told, "You'll do more good selling Bibles in Central America than you would shooting Germans in France." Cameron began by translating the Bible into the language of his Guatemalan friends. Then he started Wycliffe Bible Translators with the dream of making the Good News available in every language. Since 1942, Wycliffe has translated Script ...more
Published December 5th 2001 by YWAM Publishing (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Cameron Townsend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cameron Townsend

Bruchko by Bruce OlsonPeace Child by Don RichardsonThrough Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth ElliotGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewThe Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson
Best Missionary Books
41st out of 73 books — 55 voters
The Bible Jesus Read by Philip YanceyBible Study Sampler by John   HolzmannEvidence for Jesus by Ralph O. MuncasterGod's Will God's Best by Josh McDowellWhy Pray? by John F. Devries
American History
8th out of 60 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

The other John
Jan 08, 2008 The other John rated it liked it
Shelves: schoolbook, history
Cameron Townsend is the founder of Wycliffe Bible Translators and associated organizations. His life seems somewhat easy, compared to some of the other subjects of the Benges' Christian Heroes series. Unlike missionaries of previous centuries, Mr. Townsend got to travel to the field by automobile and plane and had the blessings of 20th Century medicine. (Then again, you could argue that Townsend's predecessors never had to endure a plane crash, as he did.) Still bringing a worldwide organization ...more
Eric Abisror
I read this book to my son over the period of a month. We both really enjoyed it. It was neat to see how God used a very ordinary man to have a vision to have the bible in all the different languages of the world.
Sometimes as an English speaker, I forget just how truly spoiled I am to have so many good theological books, commentaries, and different versions of the bible in my language, when there are so many that don't even have the New Testament in their language.
Robert Vincent
Feb 06, 2016 Robert Vincent rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful short account of the life and legacy of the founder of Wycliffe Bible Translators and Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL). The book chronicles the absolutely amazing accomplishments of the Lord through William Cameron Townsend. I have read several accounts of the life of Theodore Roosevelt and thought him to have led the fullest life of accomplishment. Well, I have found his rival in Cam Townsend. Cam orchestrated the beginning, development and extension of the organiz ...more
Carolyn
Jan 14, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it
This series is great for introducing kids to missionary and christian "hero" biographies. With a personal connection to Wycliffe Bible translators, it was very interesting to read how the organization began.
Dawn Roberts
May 15, 2014 Dawn Roberts rated it it was amazing
It's hard to think of another individual who has had a more a dramatic impact on the global advancement of God's kindgdom than Cameron Townsend. From his first days of evangelizing and selling Spanish Bibles in Central America during WWI to his death in the 1980s, Townsend answered God's call to see the Scriptures translated into over 1,000 languages. From a linguistic standpoint alone, Townsend's pioneering work in writing down unwritten native languages, then teaching a few students to do so, ...more
Michelle
Sep 28, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
An encouraging story of a young man who followed God's calling to help different tribes in Central American. He learns to help them and their culture and language. Eventually he gives them a New Testament in their own language. He desires to do this very thing for other Indian tribes around Mexico and then moves onto South America.
Leslie
Jun 13, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed learning about the man that began the Wycliff Bible ministry translating Bibles in many languages around the world.
Launa
Apr 11, 2016 Launa rated it it was amazing
It's a must read with your children. My kids hung on every word.
Elizabeth
Nov 18, 2014 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
It's really cool that this guy was a missionary, and I am happy that God did cool things in his life.

Just a BBBOORRIINGG book!!
Shane
Feb 29, 2008 Shane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, biography
"If your God is so powerful, why can't he speak my language." That statement from a tribal Indian in Guatumala, led to the life portrayed in this great biography of Cameron Townsend, founder of Wycliffe Bible Translators. It is an amazing story of being faithful to the call and as a result thousands of people groups who never had a written language of their own now not only have one, but also have the Bible translated in their language.
Matthew
Oct 19, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my wife and daughter as part of my daughter's third grade curriculum.

This book was geared for young readers, so it was a fairly quick and easy read for an adult. I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure of Townsend's life, especially since it had purpose to it. Anybody who had an interest in Christian missions will enjoy and appreciate this book.
Emma Filbrun
Sep 20, 2015 Emma Filbrun rated it it was amazing
What a satisfying read! I just read Cameron Townsend to my children, and as always when we read one from this series, they wanted me to keep going till we finished. I’m always astounded at how they get into these books.

Read my full review here.

Amy
Oct 28, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic story. I commend it to anyone who is interested in engaging other cultures. I'm so glad that it was included in our curriculum for this year.
Debra
Nov 17, 2015 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, 2015
Cameron Townsend founded Wycliffe Bible Translators. He started in Central America, and his goal was to get New Testament Bibles translated into every language. Wycliffe has made great progress toward that goal.
Craig Dyson
Jan 29, 2015 Craig Dyson rated it really liked it
Very good book about a man who played a vital role in seeing the Bible translated to millions. Fantastic determination and desire were key strengths of Cameron Townsend. I enjoyed the book, although not as much as some of the others I have read.
Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me*
eh?! get to the point. the story was good but the writing drowned a bit. if i had read it in a about fiften pages of the sum i might have enjoyed it, but some people LOVE writing insignifcant details.
Jan 20, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Cameron Townsend's life is an amazing example of how God works out everything for the good of those who love Him and how He looks after every detail. Amazing!
Tammy
Oct 17, 2014 Tammy rated it it was ok
Wasn't that impressed. The writing was dry and although I appreciate what "Uncle Cam" did, this story of his life wasn't all that interesting.
Skye
Mar 14, 2012 Skye rated it it was ok
Shelves: homeschool
Not so great, but had some interesting parts. He did a lot to educate native people in many countries!
Anna
Sep 19, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Loved! A great book about the amazingness of God and how He worked through regular everyday people.
Stephanie
May 04, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Great read-aloud for the boys. My oldest was inspired by Cameron's work.
Hannah Trump
Feb 16, 2012 Hannah Trump rated it really liked it
It was very good. I especially enjoyed learning that he knew so many languages
Leichty Library
Copies: 2
Ginny Teague
Ginny Teague rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Shannon
Shannon is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2016
Elena Chamberlain
Elena Chamberlain is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
M
M is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2016
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • Hero Tales
  • Traitor: the Case of Benedict Arnold
  • The Slopes of War
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Teresa of Calcutta: Serving the Poorest of the Poor
  • Window on the World: When We Pray God Works
  • World War II: The Rest Of The Story And How It Affects You Today, 1930 To September 11, 2001
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • There's a Sheep in my Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • Moonshiner's Son
  • Stink Alley
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • Bound for Oregon
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • But Don't All Religions Lead to God?: Navigating the Multi-Faith Maze
  • An Age of Extremes 1880-1917 (A History of US #8)
Janet and Geoff Benge are a husband and wife writing team with twenty years of writing experience. They are best known for the books in the two series Christian Heroes: Then & Now series and Heroes of History. Janet is a former elementary school teacher. Geoff holds a degree in history. Together they have a passion to make history come alive for a new generation. Originally from New Zealand, t ...more
More about Janet Benge...

Christian Heroes: Then & Now (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Nate Saint: On a Wing and a Prayer
  • Hudson Taylor: Deep in the Heart of China (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels' Den (Chrisitan Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Eric Liddell: Something Greater Than Gold
  • William Carey: Obliged to Go
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Jim Elliot: One Great Purpose