Start by marking “El misterio del cuarto amarillo” as Want to Read:
El misterio del cuarto amarillo

El misterio del cuarto amarillo (Joseph Rouletabille #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  3,374 ratings  ·  253 reviews
En una habitación cerrada se comete un crimen: todos en la casa pueden escuchar los gritos de auxilio de la víctima desde su interior, disparos, ruidos de golpes y muebles que se caen, pero nadie puede entrar a socorrer a la joven que está siendo atacada: la puerta del cuarto amarillo está cerrada por dentro...
Published October 23rd 2000 by Vicens-Vives (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about El misterio del cuarto amarillo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El misterio del cuarto amarillo

Pramod Nair
The Mystery of the Yellow Room, by Gaston Leroux, originally written in French as ‘Le Mystère de la Chambre Jaune’, in 1908 is the first book featuring the fictional reporter and amateur sleuth, Joseph Rouletabille. With The Mystery of the Yellow Room, Gaston Leroux – who is best known for his novel The Phantom of the Opera - popularized an entire subgenre of detective fiction named as ‘locked room mystery’ and this work is often regarded as one of the finest in this genre.

The book literally tra

A locked room mystery which does not involve a murder, this 1907 French novel was written by the writer who gave The Phantom of the Opera to the world. It contains red herrings aplenty and a rather annoying detective: a smart-alecky 18 year old pipe-smoking genius who works as a journalist. The narrator is Dr Watson to his Sherlock Holmes - a stand-in for the reader who is there to have plot points explained in a way that the most obtuse can understand. There is little to no character developmen
The Mystery of the Yellow Room by Gaston Leroux is hailed as one of the first locked room crime novels. It has been named by some as the third best locked room mystery of all time. John Dickson Carr, master of the locked room and impossible crime himself, has sung its praises. And it is credited with inspiring Agatha Christie to try her hand at her very first mystery. So--what do I, a mere book-blogger, have to say about it? Well, it's a decent mystery. It's got some interesting elements. But I ...more
Franco  Santos
El Misterio del Cuarto Amarillo es un libro del cual me esperaba mucho más. Me resultó harto pesado: se me hizo muy difícil navegar por páginas pletóricas de narrativa enrevesada.

El final no me lo esperaba, eso sí tengo que conceder; no obstante, fue demasiado confuso y, en mi opinión, algo inverosímil.
This classic locked room mystery is by the author of The Phantom of the Opera. The Mystery of the Yellow Room is the first in Leroux's eight book Joseph Rouletabille series. Young Joseph is a journalist (as was Leroux before he was able to support himself as an author). Joseph is quite an entertaining lad.

I had a problem keeping all of the characters straight, but still found it an enjoyable read, although a bit too complicated for my taste.

Read it at or list
Finally I brought myself to finish the lauded short novel 'The Mystery of the Yellow Room' by Gaston Leroux. It is hailed as one of the most original works of mystery fiction written and has been named as one of the pioneers of the locked room genre. We are introduced to the young journalist Joseph Rouletabille who throws himself into the investigation of a mysterious murder at Chateau du Glandier. A murder that takes place in a room that has been locked from the inside with no possible means of ...more
Nancy Oakes
First written in 1908, The Mystery of the Yellow Room is considered one of the classics of the "locked-room"/impossible crime genre. Believe me, by the time you finish reading about the crime (never mind the rest of the book), you'll be scratching your head saying "how on earth did this just happen?"

It seems that one Mathilde Stangerson goes off to her room (called The Yellow Room) in a pavilion where she and her father work at scientific experiments. The door is locked -- then she is heard to
Seems everyone knows that Gaston Leroux wrote The Phantom of the Opera; even those who haven't heard the author's name recognizes the title of the book thanks to the growing popularity over the years, the constant stage presence, etc. Unfortunately Andrew Lloyd Weber didn't adapt Leroux's detective fiction into a musical so they're not as common.

The first of his mysteries was this one published serially in 1907. Arthur Conan Doyle had Sherlock Holmes - Gaston Leroux had Joseph Rouletabille. Roul
Gaston Leroux is of course best known as the author of Phantom of the Opera but he was actually quite prolific. He write quite a few mysteries, the most famous being The Mystery of the Yellow Room.

This is the book that introduces his detective Rouletabille, and an interesting sleuth he is too. He is in fact a newspaper reporter rather than a detective as such but as a crime-solver he is second to none. The most interesting thing about him though is that he is just 18 years old. He’s a boy genius

There's nothing I like more than a good locked room mystery and this one fit the bill perfectly with a mysterious assassination attempt, intriguing clues and red herrings aplenty to keep the pages turning. The final reveal came as a complete surprise to me even though I had thought I'd worked it all out.

Buddy read with Kim :-).
There is something contrived about a locked room mystery. A crime has been committed, but it seems impossible as the criminal could not have escaped. And yet Mlle Stangerson lies bleeding and at the edge of death.

Gaston Laroux, who is perhaps better known for The Phantom of the Opera, was a journalist who was well acquainted with criminal cases. In The Mystery Of The Yellow Room, his hero is an eighteen-year-old journalist who goes by the name of Joseph Rouletabille who inserts himself into the
Tania Lukinyuk
Это первая книга из серии о проницательном журналисте Рультабийле, которая сделала автора Гастона Леру классиком французского детектива.
И действительно, «Тайна жёлтой комнаты» - это прекрасный образец детектиа начала 20 века. Главный герой – журналист Рультабийль очень напоминает героя Мориса Леблана – Арсена Люпена. Такая же сверхчеловеческая проницательность, отполированное вежливое нахальство и уверенность в своих силах. Рультабийль не настолько грешен, как Шерлок Холмс и не настолько своеобр
"The Mystery of the Yellow Room"is a novel by Gaston Leroux first published in France in the periodical L'Illustration from September 1907 to November 1907, then in book form in 1908. My copy says it is one of the first locked room mystery crime fiction novels which is going to send me to find out just how many locked room mystery crime novels there could be. I just looked it up and there are many more locked room mysteries than I thought there would be, John Dickson Carr or Carter Dickson, it s ...more
Brendan Hodge
This was recommended by a friend when I was looking for books written and set right before the Great War, so I went into it knowing nothing other than that it was written by the author of Phantom of the Opera (which I haven't read) and that it was a mystery published in 1908 and set in the 1890s. I'm no the hugest mystery reader, but I enjoy them, and this was certainly an interesting specimen.

The mystery is of the locked room variety. The basic set up is as follows: A scientist and his attracti
Sandwiched between Edgar Allan Poe, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie and John Dickson Carr is a locked room mystery from the author best known for "Phantom of the Opera." This first book of the series features late teen reporter Joseph Routleabille. The mystery, especially the detailed crime scene description, is fascinating. The resolution is exhaustively explained. As a mystery, it is first-rate. That said, it is easy to see why this character is obscure. Sherlock Holmes was not only brilli ...more
Gaston Leroux was not the first person to write a locked room mystery – that I think was probably Edgar Allan Poe in the 1840’s, but some consider The Mystery of the Yellow Room to among the best of its kind.
The setting for this early nineteenth century mystery is an isolated French chateau – where in a small pavilion in the grounds a scientific professor and his attractive thirty-five year old daughter spends hours closeted together over ground breaking scientific study. During the summer mont
Simona Bartolotta
"Era dunque con una semplicità naturale che quel ragazzo, irresponsabile del suo cervello prodigioso, esprimeva delle cose formidabili per la loro logica stringata, talmente stringata che gli altri non ne potevano comprendere la forma se non quando lui acconsentiva ad allungarla davanti ai loro occhi stupiti e a presentarla di faccia nella sua posizione normale."

Se non ho affatto amato il Leroux del Fantasma dell'Opera, l'autore si è indiscutibilmente ripreso ai miei occhi con questo mistery mag
Renee M
Positively swimming with red herring. But also liberally peppered with genuine clues. And a few things you couldn't possibly see coming. I had a great time with this, and thoroughly enjoyed the young French genius/journalist/amateur detective.
Diane Librarian
I wanted to read this because it's one of the first locked-room mysteries: A woman was found attacked in her room, but the door was locked from the inside and there was no way for the attacker to escape. The investigation takes many twists and turns and the ending is difficult to guess. It was also interesting to see how other crime and mystery writers were influenced by Leroux's work.
Nancy Burns
Veuilllez le croire! L'assassin...s'est volatilisé"

Classic French 'locked room' mystery by Gaston Leroux.

My review: (no spoilers)
Philippe Malzieu
So charming.
It is obsolete and delicious. There is of old professor, pure young girls, love secret and a enigma. One takes sea bathings and one dines in costume.
It is the vestige of past. People were well educated.
Elegant and refined I like
Jody Medland
Desmond Christy from The Guardian once famously offered 500 to anyone that could guess the solution to the crime set out in Gaston Leroux’s The Mystery of the Yellow Room. It was a safe bet, because quite simply, it’s impossible.

For me, this is the major flaw that has always prevented me from becoming a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes franchise. The moment that a mystery becomes impossible to solve, you become a passive reader, and I’m not the kind of person who likes to be passive in anything.
Dara Salley
This is the second book I’ve read by Gaston Leroux, the first being The Phantom of the Opera. What recommends Leroux most is his unique style. He was a journalist before becoming an author and he writes his books in the style of a turn of the century press release. There is very little moralizing and few philosophical asides. Instead he mainly sticks to the facts.

My issue with this story is that I found it uninteresting. I really didn’t care to try to figure out the mystery, or find out who the
"When one is, as I am, in search of the most mysterious
truth, one cannot afford to allow anything of what one sees or hears to escape.
One has to find the meaning of everything."

An interesting little mystery, a little "sherlock holmes and watson"-ish but in a good way. I did love the mystery, something that completely taxed my brain. for a while there, I was really thinking this was going to be another "murder of roger ackroyd" but alas, it was not.

The 'who done it' was a complete surprise.
"A frightful crime has been committed at the Glandier, on the border of the forest of Sainte-Genevieve, above Epinay-sur-Orge, at the house of Professor Stangerson. On that night, while the master was working in his laboratory, an attempt was made to assassinate Mademoiselle Stangerson, who was sleeping in a chamber adjoining this laboratory. The doctors do not answer for the life of Mdlle. Stangerson."

This is the main plot of the first book of Joseph Rouletabille series. Its sequel is Le parfum
I have been reading too many books too quickly so I made an "Almost New Year's resolution" to pause and write a review after reading a book, before picking up the next one. Well, technically I didn't pick up the next one since it was just sitting on my e-reader, but I must confess I'm a day late in writing this review.

Good news - I didn't guess who the attacker was.
- Liked the idea of 2 detectives vying to solve the case
- Similar style to a Sherlock Holmes book, from point of view of the sidekic
I read this book a few years ago in French but I was told that the English translation is pretty bad which would explain why it didn't get many great reviews on this site. It is truly one of those mystery books that get under your skin and haunt you when you are not reading anymore. Inspector Rouletabille is nothing short of a genius and the ending that the reader awaits to find out how an attack took place inside an impenetrable room and how the attacker escaped, doesn't disappoint. It is an in ...more
Impressive book from a historical point of view, as it's considered one of the great 'locked room' mysteries, and was written by the same guy that gave us the 'Phantom of the Opera.
It's just not a very fun read. It's very dry and slightly dreary.

Aside from the main detective, the characters are either very flat or at most, mopey.
The idea of having two detectives 'competing' to crack the case was interesting, but all the good ideas don't seem to fit together to make an entertaining story.

I would
Marts  (Thinker)
One of the first locked room mystery novels, The Mystery of the Yellow room tells the tale of Mademoiselle Stangerson found severely injured in a locked room at her home, Chateau du Glandier, and the varying occurance surrounding such. Joseph Rouletabille, a journalist/amateau detective and the novel's protagonist decides to solve the crime first by establishing the reason for the locked room. The plot develops with an introduction of key characters, history of such existing and previous relatio ...more
Gaston Leroux had written two books which successfully make him an immortal in the world of literature: The Phantom of the Opera and this one, The Mystery of the Yellow Room.

The Mystery of the Yellow Room is a classic in the realm of old schooled detective and mystery literature. I was pleasantly surprised by the plot twist of this book, and this plot twist alone deserves 5 full stars, but the story itself and its characters really aren't all that brilliant. I don't love this book as much as I l
Twitter Book Club: "The Mystery of the Yellow Room" First Impressions *No Spoilers* 1 6 Oct 15, 2014 07:17AM
Classics: Mystery of the Yellow Room 3 12 Nov 09, 2012 11:14AM
  • L'aiguille creuse (Arsène Lupin, #3)
  • Trent's Last Case (Phillip Trent, #1)
  • The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6)
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • La Guerre des Boutons
  • The Chinese Orange Mystery
  • The Mystery of a Hansom Cab
  • The Red Thumb Mark
  • Hamlet, Revenge! (Sir John Appleby, #2)
  • The Lerouge Case (Dodo Press)
  • Malice Aforethought
  • Un bon petit diable
  • That Affair Next Door
  • Fantômas (Fantômas, #1)
  • The Notting Hill Mystery
  • The Circular Staircase
Gaston Louis Alfred Leroux was a French journalist and author of detective fiction.

In the English-speaking world, he is best known for writing the novel The Phantom of the Opera (Le Fantôme de l'Opéra, 1910), which has been made into several film and stage productions of the same name, such as the 1925 film starring Lon Chaney, and Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1986 musical. It was also the basis of the 1
More about Gaston Leroux...

Joseph Rouletabille (8 books)
  • Le parfum de la dame en noir
  • The Secret of the Night
  • Le château noir (Joseph Rouletabille, #4)
  • Les étranges noces de Rouletabille
  • Die Hölle An Der Ruhr Rouletabille Bei Krupp
  • Le crime de Rouletabille
  • Rouletabille chez les Bohémiens
The Phantom of the Opera Le parfum de la dame en noir The Phantom of the Opera (Great Illustrated Classics) Le Fauteuil hanté Rouletabille: Le mystère de la chambre jaune; Le parfum de la dame en noir

“Le presbytère n'a rien perdu de son charme, ni le jardin de son éclat.” 6 likes