Start by marking “While You Were Sleeping” as Want to Read:
While You Were Sleeping

While You Were Sleeping

With the help of Butler's beautifully luminous and detailed illustrations, children can discover what animals do while we're asleep.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by Peachtree Publishers (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about While You Were Sleeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about While You Were Sleeping

Lucy Sobey
Aug 14, 2016 Lucy Sobey rated it it was amazing
This is literally the prettiest book in my whole entire life, it's so cuuuuute and I liked the lil story it gave and it was nice and big so the pictures were right in your face and they all had nice but realistic colours and it shows children all different animals in their environment.
Rebecca
Jan 17, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
This book goes beyond being a picture book. Not only are the illustrations phenomenal and extremely life-like, it offers children an insight into an animal’s natural habitat as well as the increase in numbers as the story progresses. This book is suitable for EYFS children because it has short but informative sentences with large illustrations.
The author aims to show children that much still happens in the world while we sleep. As children become aware of this fact the book would be a good aid f
Kathryn
I love John Butler's animal illustrations but this book felt a bit forced to me. A little girl wakes up and her mother tells her what different animals around the world were doing while she was sleeping--it's a counting book of sorts, "one tiger... two mice... etc." but the text just felt bland to me.
Vera Godley
Nov 14, 2012 Vera Godley rated it it was amazing
Last summer I feel in love with the books and artistry of John Butler. He is a gifted story-teller and illustrator of books for the very young. I reviewed "Hush, Little Ones" back in July. Read my review.

Today we're going to look at another of his gems for our wee-little-ones - "While You Were Sleeping." In this little board book he charmingly addresses what is going on in the world while the child is safely asleep - a concept that there is activity, daylight, movement going on when he is least
Drew Graham
Sep 01, 2016 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Most of the world goes to sleep in the nighttime but not everyone and everything...

So I'm finally reviewing this book even though we've been reading it for years. John Butler's art is of course beautiful, and this is a fun counting/animal/bedtime/waking up time book. The hardcover is a little extended compared to the abbreviated board book, which I don't think is necessary but is nice. The last page is really fun.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Jul 24, 2012 Miss Pippi the Librarian rated it really liked it
Animals are awake when you are sleeping! They move, they eat, and they get ready to sleep when you are awake.

A wonderful counting book that features a wide range of animals. Readers can identify the animals, count to ten, and practice animal sounds. Not all the sounds will be easy, so it can be a great challenge for little ones.

Theme: Sleep
Additional themes: counting, nocturnal animals

Reviewed from a library copy.
Candice
Jul 07, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Another beautifully illustrated book by John Butler. This is a counting book that begins, "While you were sleeping one deep, dark night, animals all around the world were stirring." It then goes on to show that "One tiger went hunting in the jungle," and so on up to "Ten penguins jumped out of the icy sea." A nice bedtime story and another winner from Peachtree Publishers.
Cordellya Smith
Feb 08, 2014 Cordellya Smith rated it it was amazing
This is a good book. The illustrations are cute. The story itself is interesting enough to hold a child's attention from one page to the next.
Danielle Wynn
Dec 05, 2010 Danielle Wynn rated it really liked it
Creative book for Pre-K or Kindergarten studens before nap to see what animals are sleeping and counting from 1-10!
Lydia
Another beautifully illustrated text, like Hush, Little Ones. Great to read before bed time or a nap to calm the world down and foster that loving, safe environment.
Robin
Apr 24, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books
Of course this is a sweet story with lovely animals illustrated throughout. Look forward to reading this one with my granddaughters someday!
Kristen Howell
Kristen Howell rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Katie Newton
Katie Newton rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Premkamon
Premkamon rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2010
David Bales
David Bales rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Mrs. B.
Mrs. B. rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Cherie
Cherie rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Preston
Preston rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2014
Beth Duke
Beth Duke rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Sharon Bools
Sharon Bools rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2011
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Alexa
Alexa rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2009
Smith Family
Smith Family rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Kristina
Kristina rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2009
Julie Huff
Julie Huff rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Lily Ellis
Lily Ellis rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

writer and illustrator - lives in Kent, South East England.
More about John Butler...