Start by marking “The Metaphor of God Incarnate: Christology in a Pluralistic Age” as Want to Read:
The Metaphor of God Incarnate: Christology in a Pluralistic Age

The Metaphor of God Incarnate: Christology in a Pluralistic Age

In this groundbreaking work, John Hick refutes the traditional Christian understanding of Jesus of Nazareth. According to Hick, Jesus did not teach what was to become the orthodox understanding of him: that he was God incarnate who became human to die for the sins of the world. Further, the traditional dogma of Jesus' two natures - human and divine - cannot be explained sa ...more
Published January 1st 1993 by Westminster John Knox Press

To ask other readers questions about The Metaphor of God Incarnate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Metaphor of God Incarnate

Robert
Apr 15, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing
A vigorous theological argument that criticizes the Christian doctrines of the Incarnation, the Atonement, and the claim for salvitic exclusivity of Jesus, this work is a significant contribution to contemporary Christology - is proof that Christian theology can still be done - can be fearlessly honest, logically vigorous - can be both accessible and relevant to modern man in the contemporary intellectual environment.

Hick is a brilliant rhetorician. His arguments are as clear, as compelling, as
Ryan
Oct 14, 2013 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"...we cannot save a defective hypothesis by dubbing it a divine mystery." P71
Nathaniel
Sep 13, 2011 Nathaniel rated it it was ok
Now as someone studying the philosophy of religion, and having met John Hick, I can safely say that I could have guessed the sorts of arguments I was likely to find in Hick's book, I did guess, and I did find them.

Ebionism is a very old heresy concerning the divinity of Jesus and it is alive and well in this book. The 'Jesus was a good moral teacher and can tell us a lot about ourselves and how we relate to one anothe as humans but any more that and you are going to far' is the sort of ham-hande
Nando & Javas
Seperti "nada" dalam buku sebelumnya (The Myth of God Incarnate), Hick kembali menggembar-gemborkan soal ketidakpercayaannya terhadap Kristologi Ortodoks. Tidak ada argumen yang terlalu baru dalam buku ini. Hanya dalam buku ini kita melihat perkembangan pemahaman Hick. Jika dalam The Myth of God Incarnate, Hick menganggap Ketuhanan Kristus sebagai mitos, maka dalam buku ini Hick lebih menganggapnya sebagai metafora.
Jika anda ingin mengetahui pandangan dari seorang yang dulu pernah menganut panda
loafingcactus
I read the book because it has been transformational for friends who were raised in very narrow doctrines. I can see how the rigor of the book could help lead one out of a doctrinal cave, but since that isn’t particularly my problem the book wasn’t moving for me.

It is certainly a very respectable basis for a more open theology. I would like to think that the author has done a good work for peace, however if the author is correct in his final evaluation of Jesus then the world is even more in nee
James Chappell
Jan 08, 2016 James Chappell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant but Frustrating

Hicks dismantles the Trinity with brutal efficiency, both philosophically and theologically, showing it as an invention of the Church. Can't wait to read his other works...
Clayton Tinervin
May 19, 2012 Clayton Tinervin rated it it was ok
This is hard to rate. John is a great thinker and a great writer. I find his work to be based on flawed assumptions about the claims of Christianity, and I believe this leads to flawed conclusions. Two stars doesn't relate the scholastic quality of the book, but is terribly subjective.
Michael Brady
Apr 01, 2012 Michael Brady rated it liked it
Shelves: religion, philosophy
This one is much better than the other one of his I've read (The New Frontier of Religion and Science : Religious Experience, Neuroscience and the Transcendent). Fascinating approach to two of most vexing challenges to Christian theology - the incarnation and the trinity.
Carolyn
Nov 19, 2011 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With my theological background and interest, this book has grabbed me on the very first page of the introduction. Sure wish the print wasn't so small. Also, I will probably use up at least one highlighter pen because I want to mark every line.
David F
David F marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Tjong Meilinda
Tjong Meilinda marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Zscribbles
Zscribbles marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Diann Bailey
Diann Bailey marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Herbert
Herbert rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2016
Henry
Henry rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Stefan Djupsjöbacka
Stefan Djupsjöbacka marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
John
John is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2015
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Mamoun Ani
Mamoun Ani marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Naomi
Naomi is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2015
Michel Weatherall
Michel Weatherall rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Yasser Etman
Yasser Etman marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Jonathan Platter
Jonathan Platter rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Rhett Travis
Rhett Travis marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015