Start by marking “Bake Until Bubbly: The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Bake Until Bubbly: The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook

Bake Until Bubbly: The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Bake until Bubbly"Everybody who grew up on tuna noodle casserole or macaroni and cheese remembers that bubbling dish brought to the table with its top dappled golden brown, piping hot and inviting. My passion for casseroles was born from memories of my childhood and my mother's lasagna, thick and rich and gooey and delicious. But once I had three children of my own, casser ...more
Published February 15th 2008 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Bake Until Bubbly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bake Until Bubbly

Meghan
Jun 12, 2009 Meghan rated it really liked it
My main appreciation for this cookbook is the reason others dislike it. No canned soup! This cookbook is full of old-style traditional casseroles, not speed meals, not throw together a bunch of stuff out of the pantry. If you want quick, look elsewhere. If you want some great recipes and are willing and able to put in some effort, this is a great cookbook.

Also, no, there aren't pictures. But really, presentation isn't really an issue here. A casserole looks like a casserole.

I gave it 4 stars r
Phoebe
Nov 30, 2008 Phoebe rated it liked it
I scanned the reviews before reading this book. It didn't seem that many people were happy with it, but I gave it a try anyway. There are many, many recipes within, but not too many that I would actually try to make, particularly those with animal fats or too many quantities of butter, milk and or cheese. I did enjoy the author's writing voice and anecdotes about his family, which is often my favorite feature of cookbooks, other than the beautiful photos.
Meg Dean
Jun 25, 2013 Meg Dean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-food
I'm not sure why so many people have given this book negative reviews! All I can figure is laziness. The author actually asks you to cook instead of open a can of high sodium crap. I bookmarked the heck out of this one and intend to use it often! Catchy title too :c)
TBuck
Jul 16, 2013 TBuck rated it really liked it
Made many good meals from this cookbook. They were good, and easy. Loved it! May have to purchase the book instead of borrowing it from Yorba Linda Public library. :)
Kayleen
Dec 21, 2008 Kayleen rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I wish I would have read the reviews more closely. I was looking for something new in easy to make, crowd pleasing comfort food. There are some good recipes in this book, but it is not for the busy mom looking to pop something into the oven between the carpool and weeding the garden. This is for the more uppity 'have someone else pick up the kids so we can spend all day grating fresh nutmeg' crowd.
The kind of people who have the time to cultivate all the fresh organic ingredients and live somew
Kristen
Aug 02, 2008 Kristen rated it it was ok
I have been on a cookbook kick lately. My nightstand is stacked high with cookbooks. This book wasn't what I was expected. I was looking for easy, quick meal ideas but I would describe the recipes in this as gourmet casseroles. Most call me some sort of more exotic ingredients that I wouldn't normally have on hand, or that my kids might have to acquire a taste for. I did find a handful of recipes I'd like to try plus the Vegetable Casserole without Meat section has great ideas for veggie filled ...more
Jeanine
Feb 09, 2016 Jeanine rated it really liked it
I greatly appreciated the lack of canned soups in this book.
Stephanie
Jul 20, 2008 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks
Not what I expected. To me, a "casserole" is an easy, one-dish meal, usually using what one already has in the house. To this author, a casserole is anything that is baked. Hence, many multi-step recipes, complicated cooking, odd ingredients, and instructions to "serve with..." And, there are NO pictures inside?!
I'm just happy that I borrowed it from the library before buying it.
I bet the recipes are great if you have the time and the patience to make them, but they just weren't what I was look
Mary
Oct 08, 2008 Mary added it
I really like the idea of making casseroles without using cream of .... The recipes I tried were delicious and really hits. Some recipes were a little more involved than I would like. My idea of a casserole has definitely been expanded. II'm still undecided whether I will buy the book or not. Worth a look from the library though.
May 16, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Lots of recipes...TONS of recipes...so many it was overwhelming. I love that they were not based on cans of this and that, but some were also over the top in terms of odd ingredients or very time-consuming preparation. I might go back to this when I have more time to sift through the hundreds (thousands???) of recipes.
Shiela
Oct 14, 2013 Shiela rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
It was okay, couldn't find as many recipes as I thought I would and there are no colored pictures in it which is a big disappointment. Cookbooks need glossy photos, it should be a law. Did like the fact that the recipes are made from scratch with no Campbell's soup though.
Washington Centerville Public Library
Loved the recipes. Easy to follow directions and they came out just like I imagined they would. Yummmy! On the downside it takes time to cook not quick fix meals, but when you have the time....the product is fantastic! I finished this book, but keep going back.
Stephanie
I'm hoping this ultimate casserole book is better than "The Big Book of Casseroles" (Maryana Vollstedt) which yielded no gems. I love casseroles- a completely underrated way of cooking really good meals.
Mrs.
Feb 21, 2014 Mrs. rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I just re-read this book and upgraded it one star. It's a good collection of casseroles from around the world, some very easy, others more laborr intensive. The one big drawback: no photos.
Deyara
Dec 31, 2013 Deyara rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
Bookmarked a lot more than I thought I would. There are heaps of meat recipes, but plenty that could be made without, and a nice casserole is very comforting.
Denise Lippy
Aug 27, 2011 Denise Lippy rated it did not like it
Not as good as I thought it was going to be. I found a couple of recipes that I'll use. his little tidbits of information were very interesting and informative.
Lynda
Jun 13, 2009 Lynda rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Wright is one of my favorite cookbook author, so I was disappointed by this book. I was expecting great, but it was good. Some tasty recipes.
Kimberly
Oct 24, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was ok
This got a little too fancy for casseroles in my opinion. I don't think one of these recipes called for cream of something soup!
Rose Ann
Jun 01, 2008 Rose Ann rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who like to cook
Recommended to Rose Ann by: Publishers weekly
Shelves: cookbooks
A nice cookbook with good recipes -- but hardly any pictures! I insist that any cookbook must have lots of shiny pictures!
Liz De Coster
Sep 16, 2013 Liz De Coster rated it it was ok
Shelves: hobbies, food
An wide variety of recipes, but e effect it to make it difficult to find standout recipes.
Renee
Mar 28, 2010 Renee rated it did not like it
Good thing I only paid 2 bucks ! won't feel so bad throwing it out - a waste .
Abigail Sprague
Jul 02, 2014 Abigail Sprague rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
No pictures and weird recipes.
Carol
May 24, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it
good recipes, most easy to make
Andi
Oct 07, 2012 Andi rated it it was ok
Not a single photo inside!
Mariah
Nov 03, 2012 Mariah rated it liked it
Many, many good recipes.
Alison
Jun 29, 2008 Alison rated it really liked it
reqd from PL 2/19
Jon Glancy
Jon Glancy marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Kayla ashley
Kayla ashley rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Michelle Holby
Michelle Holby marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Brian Huster
Brian Huster rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
  • The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever
  • Savory Baking: 75 Warm and Inspiring Recipes for Crisp, Savory Baking
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • The Italian Slow Cooker
  • Cover & Bake
  • Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day
  • Fiesta at Rick's: Fabulous Food for Great Times with Friends
  • What Can I Bring? Cookbook
  • The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa
  • Southern Pies: A Gracious Plenty of Pie Recipes, From Lemon Chess to Chocolate Pecan
  • The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos
  • The Boozy Baker: 75 Recipes for Spirited Sweets
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • All Around the World Cookbook
  • Bean By Bean: A Cookbook: More than 175 Recipes for Fresh Beans, Dried Beans, Cool Beans, Hot Beans, Savory Beans, Even Sweet Beans!
  • Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking