Start by marking “Little Klein” as Want to Read:
Little Klein

Little Klein

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Born Harold Sylvester George Klein, Little Klein can’t seem to measure up to the "Bigs." His older brothers are a boisterous gang held together by the bustling, bighearted Mother Klein. Try as he might to stand tall and be heard above the din, Harold often
Published September 25th 2007 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Little Klein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Klein

Claire
Realistic fiction. Award winner.
The three older Klein boys are notorious hell raisers. The run wild, their mother manages the family, Dad is off for months at a time at some traveling kind of work. The youngest by a stretch of the 4 Klein boys, little Klein is considered the runt of the litter by his mother. She is overprotective of him, but he wants in on the fun. Most of all, he Wants a Dog! Enter Leroy, he has been a loner, but when he smells Little Klein, he knows he is home.
A nice little
Brisbride13
Fiona A
I almost hated this book. The first few chapters did not impress me much and I somehow had this inexplicable annoyance towards the tone and style used to narrate the story.

The 67th page, the chapter where The Minister was introduced, changed my initial opinion about this book entirely.

"The boys called him The Minister because they'd first seen him on a Sunday morning and he'd slapped the water loud as the preacher'd pounded the pulpit on Easter."

I couldn't believe that happened to be the most m
P.D.R. Lindsay

This is a book which many children will enjoy. There is a youngest brother, Little Klein, who struggles to catch up with his three older brothers. There's a dog of character who adopts Little Klein, and a series of small town adventures, culminating in a whopping adventure child readers will envy. The writing is tight, the word choices stimulating and it reads as well aloud as silently.

As an adult reader I did find it a little 'soggy with nostalgia' and, for all the excellent writing, rather twe
Autumn
Absolutely charming story of a boy, Little Klein, his brothers "The Bigs," and his dog, LeRoy. (Awesome names.) A normal, busy family of boys and their adventures—dogs, fishing, dog houses, pie—in small town America of 1949. And how Little Klein became "big." Fun dog-thoughs on life from LeRoy's point of view.

Charming, lovely book, and must read for those who like positive stories of boys and their dogs and joys of normal life.
Cinnamon
Very nice family and coming of age story. Very easy for kids to relate to.
Harold is known by everyone as Little Klein because not only is he the youngest of four boys, but he is also definitely the runt of the litter. His mother doesn't want to let him go, so she babies him. His older brothers treat him more like a pet or a toy that they tote along with them.
Little Klein only wants to be treated his age and he hopes that maybe having a dog will make his family see him as older. In comes LeRoy, a
Tracie
Harold, the youngest of four boys, is known as Little Klein. Coddled by his mother, tolerated by his brothers (known collectively as the Big Kleins) this is the story of a young boy wishing he were everything he isn't: bigger, stronger, older, and if that's not possible, it would be nice to at least be heard. Young Klein grows into his own after a dramatic incident involving his older brothers, a tornado and the local falls. The story of Little Klein is linked with his family being adopted by a ...more
Kristin
Jul 06, 2009 Kristin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kristin by: Lisa Meidl
Everyone seems to love this book, judging from the other reviews. And Lisa loves it, so I think maybe I just don't understand boys! It was cute, but I kept feeling like something was missing. Maybe it was because there wasn';t a huge amount of dialogue, like I am used to... Hmm. I will put this book in my library though. I also loved the parts that were from the dog's perspective--that part was super cute.
Sue
I haven't read youth fiction in ages, so it took me a bit to get into this. But each night, I became more interested in seeing how the story would end. I was happily surprised by the twist at the end! Our book group is going to Skype the author this month, so we are reading different books by her. Of course, LeRoy was my favorite character.
Jacklyn L.
1-17-11

I just finished! It was a touching book. I would recomend it to people who like books about people who overcome their nickname. One connection I made was when the main character didn't want to do something because he was scared and I have felt that way several times before.
Natalie
This was a good story with warm characters and a charming dog. Living with older siblings is not easy but when you are small and they are big, it can be even harder. Little Klein is set in the late 1930's, a time of innocence and sweetness in his small town.
Cindy
It was a vey sweet story -- and I don't mean that in a bad way. It spans all ages, a good read aloud for the younger set, but could even be appreciated by middle schoolers. Harold (aka Little Klein)is a character who is quirky and lovable.
Mary

Book Festival author. Chapter book. "A boy and his loyal dog roam freely and make mischief in a compelling portrait of a spirited family in bygone America."

"Compelling" is a bit overstated. Entertaining.
Michelle
I loved this little book. Refreshing story of a boy and his dog. The dog is still alive by the end of the book.
Adrienne Furness
A family story, very much in the tradition of books like The Moffats and The Penderwicks.
Joshua
I read this book as a school assignment. I recommend it to anybody who likes cliff hangers.
Joann
Too slow moving for me--not nostalgic, just not interesting. I wanted to like it.
Robin
dusty smal town summers - tom sawyer isn't the only one who knew how to enjoy them.
Melody
The last two chapters make this book - A sweet read.
Bean
One of sweetest children's books I've ever read.
Tanya Bauer
Tanya Bauer marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Tracie Gooley
Tracie Gooley marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
SadieSparrow
SadieSparrow marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Luck of the Buttons Dear Papa Button Down The Curse of the Buttons Lake Michigan