Start by marking “The Waiting Child: How the Faith and Love of One Orphan Saved the Life of Another” as Want to Read:

The Waiting Child is an extraordinary story of human resilience in the face of tremendous odds. Adopted by an American family at age four, Jaclyn goes to her new home with a great burden. Her new family had to leave behind a little boy who had been under her charge at the Chinese orphanage. Jaclyn inspires two families, several agencies, and two governments to cooperate to ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Waiting Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Waiting Child

Kimberly
Mar 31, 2016 Kimberly rated it liked it
I definitely have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, it is an amazing story. I was adopted from Korea, have two other siblings that were adopted, have been involved in adoption groups my entire life and for a time, even worked in an adoption agency, so the book hit close to home in many aspects. I think there were very few pages where I didn't find myself sobbing. And I will also say that throughout reading the book, I would vary from reading the book to trying to persuade my husband t ...more
Katie Kenig
Oct 24, 2012 Katie Kenig rated it really liked it
There are books that make you cry, and there are books that make you so angry at the world that you feel like throwing the book and storming off, and there are books that make you incredibly secure in your path in life. This book is all three, at least for me.

The Waiting Child is a memoir of adoption, one of many I've read along the path of our own adoption journey, and one of the most touching, as far as I was concerned. It may have been because it was about the adoption of an older child, rath
Heidi
Oct 27, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it
This was a very emotional but satisfying read. Jaclyn was adopted from a Chinese orphanage by an American family when she was 4. But in the orphanage she had been assigned to be the "mother" of a not-quite-two-year-old boy. She didn't know she was leaving the orphanage until the moment she was given to her new parents, so she didn't even get to say goodbye. Once Jaclyn learned English and could communicate with her adopted family she lobbied unrelentingly for them to return and adopt her "baby." ...more
Dec 08, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
My very favorite adoption story ever. (Well, excepting my own.) Heart-breaking, heart-warming, inspiring - this book has it all. (And I have it loan out to my local friends.) :)
Cassandra
I'm a prospective adoptive parent in process of adopting my first daughter. Like others, I have mixed thoughts. It's a beautiful story but not well written. I kept wishing there were more details, more stories. The Goodreads description says that it's about "Jaclyn (who) inspires two families, several agencies, and two governments to cooperate to reunite her with 'her baby.'" Yes, it is, but it also barely discusses HOW everyone cooperates to bring how Jaclyn's baby. There is very little informa ...more
Heidi
Feb 08, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing
This was written by a dear friend of mine so I'm sure my review is biased, but you can't read this book and then walk away without a desire to want to do something to make the world a better place. Just like Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen, it shows the reader the power that just one individual can have on changing the world one life at a time.

Jaclyn became the youngest recipient to ever receive the Congressional Award as an Angel in Adoption for her work in bringing Lee to America. The fai
Abby Hope
Jun 07, 2014 Abby Hope rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adoption
The Waiting Child was touching, sad, funny, inspiring, and so many other things. It was well written and honest and anyone with a love for adoption stories should read it as it is a very beautiful story. I really can't say enough good things about this book. It tells the story of a remarkable little girl and the love she had, even though so little had been shown to her.
Ellyn
Jan 29, 2010 Ellyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
This book tells the story of Jaclyn, a little girl who is adopted from China at the age of 4. She is forced to leave behind a little boy whom she mothered and cared for in the orphanage, and as she settles into her new American family, she begins a campaign to convince her parents to go back to China and bring home "her baby". It's an inspiring story (hard to believe at times) that kept me reading, and it really paints a picture of the challenges and rewards of adopting an older child. The book ...more
Esther Dushinsky
Jun 18, 2016 Esther Dushinsky rated it it was amazing
Raw, real and so poignant. I'd give this six stars if I could. Cindy is so honest about her own struggles and ambivalence. She gives us a window into the world of a child that was abandoned and how that experienced shaped her. This is a book that I will read again and again.
Alison
Feb 25, 2016 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: china, adoption, family
This was a great adoption story, it shows us the power of love and how this young girl now named Jaclyn, who was adopted at the age of 4 from China, could never forget a young boy whom she looked after in the orphanage. He, Xiao Mei Mei who was younger than her and whom she called __her baby__, was Dependent on her for any affection he might receive. . She constantly brought him up to her family and prayed for him to be able to come the the USA and live with her. This started an international ef ...more
Laurel
Mar 19, 2014 Laurel rated it it was amazing
Well written, amazing story about a 4 yr old girl adopted from China. While in the orphanage she emotionally adopted and cared for a younger boy. This amazing true story is of her quest to bring "her baby" home.
Tracy
Oct 10, 2014 Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I was moved by the tenacity of heart that Jacyln possessed in bringing 'her baby' into the loving and safe arms of his own set of parents. The fact that so many factors did wind up aligning so that it was possible to do so was a blessing.

My biggest frustration was the disregard of self-worth by those adopting when it came to name change. Why couldn't the girls (or Lee for that matter)keep their given names? Knowing that at least a part of could be dropped; that of where they were found. Perhaps
Allison
Jan 31, 2015 Allison rated it it was amazing
I love reading memoirs/bios about adoption. There really aren't enough good personal stories about it. Jaclyn's story is honest and loving and detailed. Excellent book!
Alison
Jun 10, 2015 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story moved me! That a 4-yr old child could feel like a mother to this little 2 yr old orphan and be so determined to take care of him and see his needs met.
Cynthia C Kiefer
Sep 14, 2015 Cynthia C Kiefer rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago and loved it! One of my favorite books. Really touched me and stayed with me long after reading it. Amazing story!!!!
Barbara Moher
Feb 03, 2015 Barbara Moher rated it it was amazing
Heart breaking and heartwarming.....could not put it down
Wendy
Jun 05, 2008 Wendy rated it liked it
This book is heart-wrenching and terrible, uplifting and joyful. It made be sick and furious at the Chinese government and the Chinese people for the way they mistreat and disregard the needs of their children. It made me livid that "saving face" is the most important thing, everyone else be damned.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there are millions of children everywhere in the world, including in the US, who are equally in need of homes.

However, the fierce and courageous spirit of this little girl is a
Jamie
Feb 13, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jamie by: a friend who adopted from China
One of the best books ever. A true story about a little orphaned girl in China who is adopted by a family in America. She never gives up finding the little boy she took care of in the orphanage. A true tear-jerker, especially since it's true. Very inspiring. My husband read it first and really wanted me to read it. Anyone who reads this book will be touched and enlightened to the problem of orphans. My husband and I decided to adopt from Tawain and this book was played a major role in our decisi ...more
Lisa
May 10, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Didn't want to put it down!
Hilarie
Apr 20, 2012 Hilarie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I ABSOLUTELY loved this book. It is such a touching story of the miracles of adoption. A young 3-4 year old girl (although at that age they are considered an older child adoption) is adopted from China and won't stop asking her mom to bring over her "baby". I picked it up because the little boy vaguely resembles my middle son, and he and his older sister have such a strong bond. it had me in tears. Such a neat story!
Andrea
Sep 21, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This is the heart-wrenching story of a young girl adopted from China. While in the orphanage, she was somewhat of a "mother" figure to a 2 year old boy. Her adoption takes her away from her young boy and the story is of the ways she must cope in the U.S. without him. It is sad yet hopeful as her new parents do all they can to find him again and reunite the two children. I thought it was an amazing story!
Ananta
Jun 09, 2008 Ananta rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves inspirational true stories
Recommended to Ananta by: Amazon
Read it all in one sitting-- couldn't put it down! The touching true story of a 5-year-old Chinese orphan girl who, though adopted by an American family, never forgot a little boy who she had cared for in her Chinese orphanage. Written by her adopted mother, this is a story that will pluck your heartstrings. Don't worry, it has a happy ending!!
Suzi
Apr 16, 2012 Suzi rated it really liked it
Powerful powerful book about a little girl adopted from China, who can't & won't forget the littler boy she cared for in the orphanage.
Of you have ever thought about adoption, how it works, the impact on both kids (adopted), our families, you won't baa able to put this down. And you might call an adoption agency to boot!
Dawn
Dec 06, 2015 Dawn rated it did not like it
The book was not a bad book. It was very well written and a book able to give me the visual in my head as I read. It just was not the story that I thought that it was.

I hope you give the book a try. The author did a good job on the book and the writing.
Thank you for sharing your story with me.
steph
Jan 24, 2012 steph rated it really liked it
It's been three years since I've read this book but it was so vividly written and Jacyln's desire to get her "baby" back was so moving that it's stuck with me since then. A lovely story about hope, triumph and love. I might have to go back and re-read it now.
Jackie
Sep 15, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it
What a powerful book about the amazing tenacity of love. How a tiny girl of age four can feel a mothers love for another child and NEVER forget is incredible. Jaclyn is an ispiration of hope and enduring to the end.
Brenda
Feb 26, 2014 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This is the most riveting book, I could not put it down and the fact that it's true is even more riveting. A must read for everyone, but even more for anyone who knows an adopted
chinese child.

It would be great to read with the Book, Bound By Love, by Linda Droeger, who also adopted a Chinese girl, from an agency founded in Denver, another very enthralling read.
Tamdaqueenhotmail.com
Nov 05, 2014 Tamdaqueenhotmail.com rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Cried plenty!! Thanks for opening our eyes and sharing this beautiful story. Wish we could speed the process up to help save all those children.
Kara
Jul 06, 2011 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Would have been a 5-star read but the writing style wasn't the greatest... either way, a fantastic read about adoption. Definitely a bit of a tear-jerker as well.
Bridget
Jan 19, 2014 Bridget rated it liked it
I've been told this book is a bit hokey. But I absolutely adored it and could not put it down. It is responsible for igniting our dream to adopt someday.
  • The Russian Word for Snow: A True Story of Adoption
  • China Ghosts: My Daughter's Journey to America, My Passage to Fatherhood
  • Forever Lily: An Unexpected Mother's Journey to Adoption in China
  • Two Little Girls: A Memoir of Adoption
  • Baby, We Were Meant for Each Other: In Praise of Adoption
  • Wanting a Daughter, Needing a Son: Abandonment, Adoption, and Orphanage Care in China
  • In Their Own Voices: Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories
  • Secret Thoughts of an Adoptive Mother
  • The Family Nobody Wanted
  • A Single Square Picture
  • One Small Boat: The Story of a Little Girl, Lost Then Found
  • Lucky Girl
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents
  • The Baby Thief: The Untold Story of Georgia Tann, the Baby Seller Who Corrupted Adoption
  • Ithaka: A Daughter's Memoir of Being Found