Start by marking “Holy Bible” as Want to Read:
Holy Bible

Holy Bible

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  61 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Meet the Bloom family -- a large, raucous but quietly damaged family growing up in a Christian sect in Ballarat. To them the Bible provides everything that any of them need to know about life, the future and Jesus Christ's imminent return. They are forbidden from straying, or risk being ostracised.

Funny, touching and heart-wrenching all at once, Holy Bible explores what it
Published July 4th 2013 by Sleepers Publishing (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Blue Dog by Louis de BernièresSaturday's Child by Ruth HamiltonScattered Pearls by Sohila ZanjaniImpossible Object by Nicholas MosleyStorm Boy by Colin Thiele
With these two words - Part Two
16th out of 22 books — 3 voters
Wuthering Heights by Emily BrontëAnimal Farm by George OrwellGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
With these two words.
314th out of 317 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristina Woodland
Jul 13, 2013 Kristina Woodland rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. As someone who found a personal connection with this book due to its relevant content to my life, I found myself engrossed with the stories of each of the characters. They each had a certain "piece of me" that I remember dealing with during my upbringing and transition out of Christadelphia, even though each one seemed like a very defined individual. Funny how that works, seeing pieces of yourself in many. This book furthers the notion that the pressure to be "the chosen" can be ...more
Mark
Dec 20, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
A great book about a family within the Christadelphian sect in Ballarat. It explores not only the relationships, but the mechanisms the sect uses to keep, judge and expand its membership. It's a fascinating insight and will resonate with anyone who's wondered about the "signs of the end times" advertising and "bible lecture" events that are present in most communities. The characters are very well drawn and the author draws you very close to them early, especially the central character whose ...more
Heather McKelvie
Jul 06, 2013 Heather McKelvie rated it really liked it
Since I was born and raised Christadelphian and escaped in my early 20's, many parts of this book seemed like pages from my own history. I read through it quickly because I was so eager to see what happened with all the characters. Great work, Dr. Russell!
Jane
I love period pieces set in the recent past - in this case, 1991 - particularly if they're set outside a capital city (and this one is in Ballarat). Vanessa Russell did a brilliant job of weaving the textures - clothes, food, TV, current affairs - of 1991 into her storyline without going over the top. And the dialogue and descriptions are great: utterly small-town Australia, authentic and easy to read.
Reading Holy Bible, I felt as though two ways of telling were competing with one another, not a
Isabel Storey
Dec 16, 2013 Isabel Storey rated it really liked it
Loved it.
New to this reviewing business, but enjoyed this book and have to marvel at the experiences and research on which it was created.
Jan
Aug 05, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
A work of fiction loosely based on the author's knowledge of the Christadelphian 'sect', this mixes humour, romance, pathos and sadness in an easy to read book. I enjoyed the references to Ballarat life in Victoria. If any of my friends wish to borrow the book it's an easy and quick read by a new Ballarat author.
Keiran Rogers
Oct 30, 2013 Keiran Rogers rated it really liked it
It took me a little while to get into, but once you fall in love with the characters it is hard to put down. Beautiful themes around religion, love, trans generational trauma (have really always just wanted to use that term) and family.
Rachael
A bit hard to get into. But once I did, it flowed. Knowing the area, I found myself disliking some of the geographical errors.

I don't understand why she stayed away, when things were better.
Zoe Dattner
Zoe Dattner rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Gavan
Gavan rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Dianne Payne
Dianne Payne rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2013
Estelle
Estelle rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Andrew Mabin
Andrew Mabin rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Deborah Jade
Deborah Jade rated it really liked it
May 08, 2013
Patricia
Jan 08, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. Richly drawn characters, witty, credible, well paced and fascinating.
Prakhar
Prakhar rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Agnes Biju
Agnes Biju rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2014
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2013
Judy
Aug 01, 2016 Judy rated it did not like it
Juvenile and poorly put together. A pity because the subject could have made a good story
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Jack O'Dea
Jack O'Dea rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
James
James rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Brynn Maldonado
Brynn Maldonado rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Lucie
Lucie rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Yvette Jaczina
Yvette Jaczina rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Melina
Melina rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Sophie Benjamin
Sophie Benjamin rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
  • Like a House on Fire
  • My Year Without Matches: Escaping the City in Search of the Wild
  • Riders in the Chariot
  • The Essence of the Thing
  • Cracklescape (Twelve Planets book 7)
  • Hope Farm
  • The Dig Tree: The Story of Bravery, Insanity, and the Race to Discover Australia's Wild Frontier
  • Wrong Turn at the Office of Unmade Lists
  • Salt Creek
  • Heat and Light
Vanessa used to read the entire Bible once a year – including the New Testament twice. Now she doesn't. Her first novel, HOLY BIBLE, was released by Sleepers in July 2013. She is currently working on a non-fiction book called REFUGEE ZOO that will be published by Hardie Grant in 2015.

More about Vanessa Russell...