Start by marking “The 13th Apostle” as Want to Read:
The 13th Apostle

The 13th Apostle

36 A.D.: Micah - the 13th apostle - inscribes a message, upon which mankind's fate would one day be determined. Present day: an ancient diary holds clues to the location of a sacred artefact - one that could be the key to unimagined riches. Greed motivates a worldwide hunt, with some willing to kill to uncover its secrets.
Paperback
Published September 1st 2007 by Avon Books (first published July 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The 13th Apostle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 13th Apostle

Scott Coleman
Aug 31, 2016 Scott Coleman rated it it was ok
I found The 13th Apostle to feel a bit rushed throughout, lacking the 'little details' that make for an engrossing read. I thought the characters were interesting enough, but there wasn't enough time spent developing them, their backgrounds, and relationships in a way that would make them endearing.

More importantly, I was thoroughly disappointed with the ending. Killing off a main character is fine. Leaving the critical part of the story untold is worse. But, the worst part to me was the rush-r
Alyssa
Aug 19, 2008 Alyssa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get past the first few chapters...intriguing premise but poorly written. These two authors should stick to writing diet books.
Bill Melo
Feb 24, 2012 Bill Melo rated it did not like it
Rubbish!!!!!!!!
Roberta
Gil è un cyber-cacciatore: il suo compito è quello di bloccare virus, scovare hacker e siti con foto illegali, fino a quando il suo capo non gli dice che dovrà partire per Israele e collaborare con un anziano professore inglese ed una giovane ex-militare israeliana. Gil si ritroverà all'improvviso a dover decifrare un antico messaggio nascosto nel diario di un frate in epoca medievale e finirà per rincorrere un antico rotolo di rame che contiene un segreto inimmaginabile su Gesù e i suoi apostol ...more
Priya
Jul 26, 2011 Priya rated it did not like it
Shelves: give-it-a-miss
‘Three souls. Two thousand years. One truth.’

…so goes the tag line for Richard and Rachael Heller’s ‘The 13th Apostle’. And trust me, that forms by far the most interesting line in the entire book. That single line right there on the cover.

This story is another take at misinterpreting the unexplained or unsatisfactorily-proven parts of the life of Jesus Christ (who else!). I’m seriously wondering what it is about Jesus that people find so hard to believe that every budding author out there wants
J.C. Michael
Aug 27, 2015 J.C. Michael rated it it was ok
I'm in two minds about this one...

I came across it in a hotel library and, since my son had commandeered our Ipad, and therefore the kindle books I'd intended to read, and 99% of the books in the library were in German, I thought I'd give it a go.

Reading it on a sun lounger by the pool it was a pleasant enough diversion. Easy to read and get into I have to say I didn't struggle to finish it like some have said, and therefore it deserves a couple of stars in my eyes.

Having said that there were so
Angela Kinder
Mar 11, 2016 Angela Kinder rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
It was while I was reading Dan Brown, James Rollins, and books about the Knights Templar (I know. Nothing to do with either books but it was part of that phase). It was a read-by-the-seat-of-my-pants book. It was a great book. I didn't mind the flipping of story from the Vatican to back to the Last Supper era. But after a while, it seemed a little long and drawn out. I have conflicting feelings about this book. While I definitely wanted to research some of the things mentioned, I tend to find it ...more
Cleo
May 09, 2012 Cleo rated it really liked it
Pseudo historical fiction - flash backs from archeologists and new Jerusalem scrolls - which is a suspense filled story of finding them and keeping them from the "bad guys" - and the time of Jesus. My quandry was the biblical story telling of Jesus which didn't fit with my research and belief - I was afraid it was going down hill and I wouldn't like the ending at all. But the way (weird) this part of the story played out had no direct application to the most beautiful ending. It was really philo ...more
Kristin Lundgren
Another mini-review -This was another in a long line of "artifact" thrillers, with an American cyber sleuth and a biblical translator and former Israeli commando female lead. A lot of the book is spent back in the past, as we follow in the footsteps of one who was "there." The story is fine, although lacking depth, and the characters were also a little bland for me, and I didn't connect with them as I would have liked - that really colors how I react to a book. And the ending to me was trite, an ...more
Hannah
Dec 20, 2013 Hannah rated it it was ok
I did actually quite enjoy most of the book. The pace was fast and simple and I could put it down and pick it up a week later and it still made sense. Unfortunately the ending was best described as WTF. Where is my real ending? It just ended. The plot wasn't finished. I half expected to find a second book but no. It was just disappointing. There were a lot of other things that could have done with some work but I was willing to forgive those given the type of book it was(It's a We-must-find-this ...more
Deirdre
Aug 17, 2009 Deirdre rated it liked it
Starts off very slowly and never really gets a good pace going. A story of a hidden scroll, tzaddikim and conspiracy with some fundamental muslims and christians as the token baddies, this failed to impress me and really didn't give me any real urge to look for more by the authors.

There are some historical errors and several occasions that I had to wonder what the authors were trying to do with the story.

I've read worse, but I've definitely read better!
Blair
The accompanying author interview for this claims it took ten years to research, which I find very hard to believe given that it comes across as more than a bit of a Da Vinci Code rip-off. The characters are underwritten, the male protagonist isn't at all likeable for at least half the book, and there are some really implausible plot twists; but it's fast-paced, resaonably exciting and managed to hold my attention.
Zoltán
Dec 31, 2015 Zoltán rated it really liked it
Közkedvelt enigma közepes szintű feldolgozása. A főhős alkalmankénti csekélyértelmű-medvebocsossága hajtépésre készteti az olvasót. A magyar fordítás is hagy némi kívánnivalót maga után. Mindezek ellenére a könyv magával ragad és unatkozni bizonyosan nem enged. Mivel spoiler-mentességre törekszem, tartózkodom a további véleménynyilvánítástól. Talán a kevesebb itt is több lett volna.
Jyv
Jun 17, 2013 Jyv rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I read the negative reviews and thought I'd give it a go but it rapidly went from a potential 3 to a 1. The plot is implausible and doesn't really go anywhere - much ado about nothing! The characters are all one-dimensional. For someone who's supposed to be a hacker, Gil is extremely stupid. In a word, this novel is rubbish.
M Beal
Mar 31, 2015 M Beal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
‘Three souls. Two thousand years. One truth.’ Well the truth is that a couple of chapters in my brain was set on "why am I reading this" mode. There was no character development or background. As it gets to the end they decide to kill off the main character many questions unanswered. The entire book seemed rushed. Very sad since this was a book club read, a very poor choice
Scott
Jun 28, 2016 Scott rated it it was ok
There were interesting parts to this, I liked the main character's and the ending but it just felt adventure lite. The flashbacks in particular were just boring too, could have been much better I thought and in the end it's unfortunately pretty forgettable.
Siddhesh Jog
Feb 14, 2011 Siddhesh Jog rated it it was ok
Read this book in the wave of 'Religious conspiracy theory' books. the plot was fun. A very plausible one at that. But too little matter to actually stretch across pages meant it turned out to be a tad boring.
Mr. Muffin
I won't even rate this book. Why should I waste my time reading a tasteless, lazily written and boring story with flat characters? Why should I be motivated to read a guide rather than a thriller? I don't know.
Pranav
Jul 20, 2013 Pranav rated it liked it
A good book... Ends with a decent message... Could have been a bit better written to make the characters more realistic.. . The relationships could have been better built... However a worth read for sure....
Damian
Dec 28, 2012 Damian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the plot it convinced me that this is must-read so I bought it. Unfortunately, after I read the book I have to say that it was money ill-spent and that I have yet to read a book worse than this one. To be short I would say that this is a lame and unsuccessful attempt to copy Dan Brown.
Shannon
Aug 28, 2007 Shannon rated it liked it
pretty interesting premise, kept my attention. Different conclusion on the same idea as Davinci code.
Tory Wagner
Sep 18, 2011 Tory Wagner rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Fun book about the resurrection story. There was some humor in an otherwise unbelieveable rendition of a familiar story.
Samuel
May 11, 2008 Samuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, just great. Very similar to the Da Vinci Code, only this one doesn't exactly try to undermine Christianity. It is written in a way that makes it clear (at least to me) that it is fictional.
John
Apr 18, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Not bad for a first book. Slow to start - but it picked up.

I was really put off by the cover notes about the authors previous works... my fears were not founded.

A fast paced easy read
Benita
May 20, 2012 Benita rated it liked it
Book was good fun to read. Nothing majorly exciting or memorable. But it was an easy, quick and relaxing read.
Mekare
Jun 16, 2015 Mekare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La trama si sviluppa bene e c'è sempre quella suspence che ti lascia incollato al libro. Il finale mi ha lasciata un pò perplessa...ma ripensandoci non poteva andare in altro modo.
Lori
Dec 22, 2007 Lori rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007books
This book was one of the worst I've read in years. Terrible writing, lame plot, poor characterization - the pits.
Becky
Feb 04, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Written well and I enjoyed the story. Other reviewers have not liked this, but I found it a lighter version of a Davinci type book, not too many characters that you lose track and a good ending.
Mark Burnham
Sep 07, 2014 Mark Burnham rated it really liked it
Not Bad
Carole
Carole rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2012
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • Force For Change: How Leadership Differs from Management
  • Fairy Tale
  • Every Woman Needs a Wife
  • Castle of the Wolf
  • Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
  • Istri Pilihan (Bride Wanted)
  • The Mask of Atreus
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
  • A Fine Night for Dying (Paul Chavasse #6)
  • How to Engage an Earl (Royle Sisters, #2)
  • Hug Your Customers: The Proven Way to Personalize Sales and Achieve Astounding Results
  • From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life
  • The Enclave

“The sky is blue, the grass is green, and people are stupid."
"Meaning?"
"Meaning that you can't change any of them.”
1 likes