Start by marking “The Start Here Diet: Three Simple Steps That Helped Me Transition from Fat to Slim . . . for Life” as Want to Read:

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
With her Eat-Clean Diet, Tosca Reno went from being overwhelmed and overweight to modeling a bikini, but her seventy-pound weight loss and body transformation didn’t happen overnight; even Tosca needed a simple approach, a place to begin. Now she reveals her secrets so that you can begin your journey to safe weight loss and optimal health. Start now with The Start Here Die ...more
Published December 31st 2013 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Start Here Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Start Here Diet

Vivian
Nov 06, 2015 Vivian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just an okay book. It really is just three simple steps, repeated endless in many different ways, with lots and lots of filler. The three steps, in a nutshell, are:

1- Banish your forbidden foods (foods that you have no control over, at least for a few weeks);
2 -Start moving your body in small ways, a few minutes at a time;
3 -Keep a journal, to document or whine or bitch about how you feel during the process.

And that's it. A one-page summary could have been a magazine article, but there are succe
Luanne Ollivier
Feb 05, 2014 Luanne Ollivier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Well, we're already into the second month of 2014. Did you make resolutions for this year? Were they health related? And how's that going?

Personally I don't like the word resolution - I like the word change instead. And yes, I did start making some changes. I've had Tosca Reno's newest book - The Start Here Diet - for a month now. It's taken me that long to get to the final pages. Not because I haven't enjoyed it, but because I've been reading some chapters over and over again before I m
Dirk Pratt
Oct 28, 2015 Dirk Pratt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tosca Reno's book, "The Start Here Diet" certainly has its appeal. Rather than becoming a health and medical expert, Tosca Reno jumps to the truth of her own situation. She explains her struggle in clear and unabashed terms. She struggled with food while trying to raise a family and she details the changes in her life that altered both her eating habits both in a positive and a negative way(Divorce, death of a loved one). Her writing makes you feel that she isn't a health expert but rather someo ...more
Intentional Jen
This book brought to me the idea of "hidden foods" or trigger foods that are causing you to not lose weight. Reno believes that you will lose weight just by eliminating your "hidden foods." For me, it is chocolate and it just has to go.

Reno tries to find the cause of your weight struggle and taking the negativity out of your life.

She also has a sensible approach to exercise. You can lose weight just by cleaning your home and work your way up from there.

The ideas in this book aren't new, but they
Theresia
Apr 04, 2014 Theresia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first few chapters were most useful to me. Although I'm not overweight, I still found the author's ideas helpful but not just for weight loss but for other areas in my life too. In weight loss it's trigger foods to discover; in life it's finding out the hidden or trigger issues that are holding you back. Once identified, they are easier to deal with and for me trigger foods and life issues go hand in hand. It's because of this message that I enjoyed Tosca Reno's book, after reading it I felt ...more
Victoria Colotta
I have read a number of Tosca’s books, but none of them registered with me as much as her newest book, The Start Here Diet. It is an honest look at what you can do to loose the weight you want and keep it off. During the course of the book, the author opens up to the reader about her struggles in loosing weight from an emotional standpoint. She even goes as far as to put in sections of her own journal. This approach is the key to why I think this book is such a good tool to fight weight loss.

Tos
LemontreeLime
This is a short how to start dieting book, which I read on a whim. I thought a lot of her advice echoed Michael Pollen's advice on eating healthy, or at least it kept reminding me of his books. However he doesn't really focus on the emotional aspects of eating, and Reno does. If you need motivation for beginning new eating habits, this might be a good choice for a start to help you.
Cookie
May 01, 2014 Cookie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an easy read and has been helpful to me in learning on how to begin. I'm not a patient person when it comes to weight loss. I want to see results quick and I prefer for it to be easy " as pie" ( pun intended)
Nicole
Jul 23, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good book. makes you look deep down into yourself to find what is really bothering you and why it is preventing you to change and once you've found that out it helps you along your path to change to a better, healthier you!! Definitely recommend to anyone. I love Tosca Reno!! she is an inspiration
Phannie
Nov 16, 2014 Phannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Reno spends a lot of time tackling the emotional tie we have with eating and how we can make it a positive experience.

I highly recommend doing the journal activities along with the reading. It makes the content more personal.
Shari
Jan 27, 2014 Shari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diet-health, cookbook
intro xii- have the courage and power to dig deep and be fully honest about what has to change inside of me before you can truly transform your life. The road to happiness with the way you look and feel will only be successful in reshaping yourself is to find the why first. Why are you not at your ideal weight?
p. 28 Are your basic needs being met?
Kelly
Jan 15, 2014 Kelly rated it liked it
I got this in the mail today. I'm pretty sure I didn't try to win it from Random House. I'll check it out though. It'll be good for a detox diet after the holidays.

This book is really geared for people who are overweight. I'm not overweight and never have been so I skimmed the chapter on confronting the reason why you overeat. Also the "move a little" section was geared to people who don't move at all.

There are some good recipes at the end of the book which I'll try and it had some good reminder
Kat
Apr 06, 2014 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sensible, basic information for eating healthy to lose weight. I liked her idea of the trigger foods. So now I'm trying to avoid the chocolate chips after dinner that previously did NOT count as dessert.
Jennifer Gelert
Very good ideas if you want to start your journey to a healthy life style. I myself am way ahead of what her book offers but I recommend it those just starting out. However, there are some great recipes I am going to try.
Barbara
Feb 24, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone that wishes to start eating healthier for the rest of their lives. A worthwhile read with plenty of great recipes. All of the books by Tosca Reno are fantastic!
Juanita Johnson
Apr 24, 2014 Juanita Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down one of the BEST books on changing your life that I've ever read. It's not just a diet book. In fact, it's not a diet book at all. The title says it all. before you can address any issue in your life, you have to address your reasons for having them. In a gentle way, through excerpts off her own story, Tosca helps you to find your own reasons for wanting to hold on to your false protective behaviors. The diet and exercise suggestions are good, but nothing new. What IS new, is the fact ...more
Craig Wilkins
Jan 14, 2014 Craig Wilkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice introduction to eating clean and beginning to move.
Jessica
Jan 26, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book with many good ideas. I have been following the plan and have lost 10lbs in three weeks.
Chris
Feb 27, 2016 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful little healthy eating book. Her comments on trigger food and creating a positive mindset were very useful as well. there's no science in this book. There's no great debate between a paleo diet versus a vegan diet. It's more mindset and common sense.
Rae
Aug 29, 2015 Rae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-fitness
Great updated information and helpful tips. Also great to see more detail on her personal journey.
Deana
Dec 29, 2014 Deana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book if you are an emotional eater.
Melissa Lunde
Melissa Lunde rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Nettye Johnson
Nettye Johnson rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Becky Rains
Becky Rains rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Christy
Christy rated it it was ok
May 11, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Living Paleo for Dummies
  • Fermented: A Four Season Approach to Paleo Probiotic Foods
  • 70 Healthy Habits - How to Eat Better, Feel Great, Get More Energy and Live a Healthy Lifestyle
  • The Supercharged Hormone Diet: A 30-Day Accelerated Plan to Lose Weight, Restore Metabolism and Feel Younger Longer
  • The Sugar Detox: Lose Weight, Feel Great, and Look Years Younger
  • A Big Fat Crisis: The Hidden Forces Behind the Obesity Epidemic — and How We Can End It
  • Green Juicing Diet: Green Juice Detox Plan for Beginners—Includes Green Smoothies and Green Juice Recipes
  • The Blender Girl Smoothies: 100 Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Paleo-Friendly Recipes
  • The Complete Low Carb High Fat No Hunger Diet
  • The KetoDiet Cookbook: 150 Grain-Free, Sugar-Free, and Starch-Free Recipes for Your Low-Carb, Paleo, or Ketogenic Lifestyle
  • OMG. That's Paleo?
  • The 3-1-2-1 Diet: Eat and Cheat Your Way to Weight Loss--up to 10 Pounds in 21 Days
  • Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook: Eat Up and Slim Down with More Than 350 Healthy Recipes
  • Bulletproof: The Cookbook: Lose Up to a Pound a Day, Increase Your Energy, and End Food Cravings for Good
  • Paleo Cleanse: 30 Days of Ancestral Eating to Detox, Drop Pounds, Supercharge Your Health and Transition into a Primal Lifestyle
  • Brad's Raw Made Easy: The Fast, Delicious Way to Lose Weight, Optimize Health, and Live Mostly in the Raw
  • Dr. Kellyann's Bone Broth Diet: Lose Up to 15 Pounds, 4 Inches--and Your Wrinkles!--in Just 21 Days
  • The Omni Diet: Two Weeks to Lose Weight, Reverse Illness, and Control Your Genes
Former overweight Canadian woman. Now an expert on dieting and an columnist for Oxygen magazine.
More about Tosca Reno...