Start by marking “Lark” as Want to Read:
Lark

Lark

Set in seventeenth-century England under Cromwell, Sally Watson's LARK combines historical intrigue with romantic adventure in the high-spirited tale of a young girl who escapes from her uncle's stolid Puritan family.

The daughter of Royalists exiled to France, thirteen-year-old Lark finds the prospect of marrying her cousin Will-of-God so distasteful that she decides to fl
hardcover, 223 pages
Published 1966 by Holt, Rinehart & Winston (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Lark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lark

Maddy Barone
Dec 15, 2010 Maddy Barone rated it it was amazing
Sally Watson has a deft hand with dialogue, description and character building. It's hard to pick a single title of Sally Watson's as my most favorite. But Lark is right up there. There are scenes that I adore to re-read. I love the character of Lark and James is a hoot. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
Nathalie
Feb 14, 2013 Nathalie rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I read this like 456789 years ago in grade school and I could NEVER FIND IT EVER AGAIN. THE MYSTERY IS OVER
Tricia Lynne
Jan 11, 2015 Tricia Lynne rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with History reading this book.
Melissa
Dec 09, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, historical
Cute children's book. I would have adored this when I was a kid. My only issue was Lark's age and I'm usually pretty good at ignoring stuff like that. But it didn't really affect my enjoyment of the story.
Penny
Sep 26, 2014 Penny rated it really liked it
This is a children's historical novel which focuses on a young teen, Lark who is not a very good Puritan. She has been 'stolen' by her uncle from her Royalist parents who have fled to France. Her uncle is a staunch supporter of Cromwell. Lark escapes and meets James a young secret messenger for the King.

There is plenty of adventures and troubles along the way and it is a good introduction to the civil war for children.
Jack Baillot
Feb 01, 2014 Jack Baillot rated it it was amazing
To sum up Lark I shall use the following description....JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!
I love James, and Lark is a really fun character. She came close to driving me crazy sometimes, but I liked her too much to be annoyed with her. But James.....he was by far my favourite. Even if he drove me crazy sometimes too.
Kerstie
Feb 17, 2016 Kerstie rated it it was amazing
Lark is the most well written book I have read in a long time. The beautiful story told by Sally Watson is awing! I would recommend this book to anyone. Larks strong spirit and independence is shown by her standing up for her self and never giving up. Lark fights throughout the entire story for family and her freedom a truly inspirational story.
Shaneil Moto
Jul 22, 2016 Shaneil Moto rated it it was amazing
This book introduced me to a life-long love affair with reading! I checked it out of the school library a dozen times in 3rd grade. At the end of the year the librarian let me have it! I have kept it this whole time and just handed it down to my daughter!
Sps
May 24, 2012 Sps rated it liked it
For fans of Louisa May Alcott, Karen Cushman, L.M. Montgomery, or other writers of spirited girls from the Anglo-Saxon past. If a kid has outgrown the American Girls and likes a drop of romance, offer this.

Lindsey
Nov 21, 2007 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Rose
Shelves: fiction
Wonderfully sweet, candid tale of a young Catholic girl whose bravery and common sense shine forth - very inspiring! :)
Nov 28, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
I have been re-reading this series (my favorite from probably 6th grade?) with my daughter. Some of the best historical fiction ever and fabulous girl role models.
Express
Express rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Terry L Collins
Terry L Collins rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
ELRS
ELRS rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Meredith
Meredith rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2013
Jan
Jan rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2013
Jennyk
Jennyk rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2010
Catherine Kipps
Catherine Kipps rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2008
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Marta
Marta rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2012
Tracey
Tracey rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2007
Meredith Crilly
Meredith Crilly rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2013
Sophia
Sophia rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2010
Harmony
Harmony rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Watson is a YA historical fiction writer, mostly about the British royals. She moved to England in 1964 and lived there for 24 years. Her most well-known works are parts of her English Family Tree series. Most of her books went out of print in the 1970s, many eventually reprinted by Image Cascade. She has also written YA novels set in ancient Egypt.

Her most recent book is The Angry Earth, an adul
More about Sally Watson...