Start by marking “Armored Hearts (Armored Hearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Armored Hearts (Armored Hearts, #1)

Read Excerpt

Armored Hearts (Armored Hearts #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  190 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
When a crippled young lord rescues a girl falling from a tree, it reveals a secret about himself and his mother's side of the family that could put him at the center of a war with beings he thought only existed in fairy tales. Tristan Gareth Smyth lived his entire life stuck at home at Waverly Park, left behind while his Grandfather makes trips to London, all because of hi ...more
Published May 20th 2013 by AltWit Press (first published April 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Armored Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Armored Hearts

Ian
Jan 02, 2014 Ian rated it liked it
Recommended to Ian by: Meghan
Confined to his wheel chair and living in a world where cripples are despised, Gareth is bitter and resentful. Then he saves a girl falling from a tree and discovers he can fly, but he needs to keep his secrets and confides only in his sister Tabitha. As he grows he uses his gift to help the townsfolk, becoming something like a 19th century super hero, all the while his own family's financial situation worsens.

Then an American heiress crashes into his world in search of a title, and in order to
Emerald Barnes
Apr 28, 2013 Emerald Barnes rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
This book follows a young man, Gareth Smyth. He’s a cripple, confined to a wheel chair, and he’s got himself a surly attitude about it as well.
He won’t let anyone close to him, only his young aunt, Tabitha. But, there is one girl who tries to push her way into his life – Jessamine.
The story involves Gareth on a discovery of who is and who he eventually wants to be. With the help of Jessamine and his servants, he finally discovers who he is, whether he likes it or not.
Okay, let say that this n
Alexia Purdy
Reviewed on my blog on 7/24/2013 http://alexiaepurdy.blogspot.com

I haven’t read a lot of steam punk novels, fair warning. The last being Cassandra Clare’s Infernal Devices series, which can fit right along the time period of this one. I absolutely loved Armored Hearts. It has steam punk and fantasy elements seamlessly fused to form unique historical storytelling at its best.

Tristan Gareth Smyth is a cripple, stuck in a wheelchair and unable to walk. He’s a grumpy guy, but he likes being alone an
Booknut
May 10, 2013 Booknut rated it really liked it
'She moved closer, extended her hand, and ran her fingers through his hair. A shiver shot down his spine. It took all his effort to keep the reaction from showing. He remained still as stone.

"Don't think I don't see who is really beneath the armour...You put up this steel cage around yourself in the form of hostility and disinterest - whichever works to shield you best at the moment, but that's not who you are."'

'He was the rejected, crippled heir. The forgotten and abandoned son of his other. T
Lynn Worton
May 07, 2013 Lynn Worton rated it it was amazing
I have previously read books by Melissa Turner Lee, but I haven't read anything by Pauline Creeden before, so I was curious to find out what these two authors could come up with. This is a fantastic story! I loved it!

Tristan Gareth Smyth is a fascinating character. Unable to walk, he uses a wheelchair to get around. I liked this character very much. He did have a tendency to mope, but he also has a pragmatic outlook on life. He pushes people away by being surly and difficult; I think he does thi
Tracey
Why do I keep doing this to myself? After some of the dreck I've read for Netgalley and LibraryThing giveaways and because I got it free on Ammie, why do I still do it?

I'm a masochist, and/or optimistic because of the very few real successes I've come across, I guess, and a sucker for a premise that sounds promising. (Also the chalice with the palace or the flagon with the dragon.) So I keep going back to the LibraryThing giveaways, and keep putting my name in.

I feel like I've said this about a
~ Rose ~ ☯Desert Rose❀
This story is simple and entertaining, being very well described by the synopsis. Showing the frustration of a young man bound to a wheelchair, crippled physically, but feisty and energetic in spirit. Spanning many years of his life, the secrets and mysteries that are revealed as time goes on make his life much more complicated than he ever expected. With adventure, suspense, mystery and sweet romance, this book provides the perfect entertainment for a quiet afternoon.

While the story primarily
Elizabeth Towns
Jul 09, 2013 Elizabeth Towns rated it really liked it
I can’t wait for the next book in this series! I’ve never read anything like this, and I can’t wait to read more.

Initially, getting into Armored Hearts was different for me. I wasn’t expecting what I got. Gareth, the main character, is a Lord in this Victorian era setting, limited to a wheelchair and not feeling real blessed about it and letting it show in his attitude in every way. Gareth doesn’t want to bother with anyone, except his Aunt Tabitha. As the reader, you are well aware of his unhap
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
No rating because I didn't finish this one. ::Sigh:: I guess this really cements that steampunk is not for me. It was actually a bit more sci-fi than steampunk, but I didn't didn't connect to the plot. There was also some Christian elements, which makes this book REALLY not for me. Oh well.
Marie
May 11, 2013 Marie rated it did not like it
This galley copy is courtesy of All Night Reads via NetGalley

Gareth, a young man confined to a wheelchair, discovers a unique ability that allows him the freedom he longs for. By day, he is Lord Smyth, the future Earl of Pensees, fighting an attraction to Jessamine Keller, an American heiress who seems to only want him for his title. But by night, he is a vigilante hidden in an old suit of armor, warding off thieves and brigands in his small village. Little does he know that the power he had kep
Anny hernandez
Sep 15, 2013 Anny hernandez rated it it was amazing
I receive a copy of this book for an honest review
This is the first steampunk that I read and I like it, I am gone keep this short and simple.
I like the characters and I was really impressed with the development of this wonderful fantasy story turn out to be.
Lord Tristan Gareth Smyth has a problem he can’t walk he moves around in a wheelchair, one day on his way to his tutors house, he sees a young girl the girl ask him to please keep a watchful eye, he was confused when he see the young girl
Dianne
From the captivating cover to the final word, Armored Hearts is one of those reads that is a joy to discover! Not too dark, not too deep, but full of surprises, fantasy and love! In nineteenth century England, a young lord, confined to a wheelchair discovers a magical ability that is the tip of the iceberg to long kept secrets about his true identity. After being shunned for his disability his entire life, Gareth is resigned to a solitary existence until a young American girl comes along determi ...more
Meghan
Dec 28, 2013 Meghan rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of steampunk and fantasy, so when it says that the story is both, I can't possibly say no. And I'm glad that I didn't.

This book is great from the beginning to end, well from the moment at the tree till the end (it's a little slow starting out, but I've been told that a little slow most always leads up to awesome ends). It was so good, I had a hard time putting it down, you know, so I could sleep and stuff (:p), so good that I can't wait for book number two so that I can find out
Rebecca McNutt
Feb 22, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
A steampunk fantasy novel with everything from romance to magic, Armored Hearts is an exciting and creative story that presents a very extraordinary scenario and main characters.
Gayle
Mar 13, 2014 Gayle rated it really liked it
REVIEW
Tristen Gareth Smyth appears to be such a moron most of the time. Sure he doesn't want any pity for being crippled. He is so bitter and he does so to keep people away from him. The real reason is he carries a secret that only his aunt is to know. What is that secret he carries?

He keeps up that wall, never letting anyone in, that is, until Jessamine enters his life. He has to figure out how to keep Jessamine at arms length and not let Jessamine find out the secret. Will his life take a tu
Timothy Stone
Jan 31, 2014 Timothy Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a friend first recommended to me that I read Armored Hearts, I was intrigued. A steampunk Christian fantasy with a touch of romance? Really? Could the writers make it work? Well, suffice it to say, authors Pauline Creeden and Melissa Lee Turner did make it work. Brilliantly.

To give some information about the plot, there will be some major spoilers here, though I will try to keep them at a minimum, so read at your own risk.

The story begins with a young boy in the late 19th century English co
Heather Way
Apr 07, 2014 Heather Way rated it really liked it
I give this book 4. Gareth is in a wheel chair and not feeling to happy about everything around him.

Then one day he was watching a girl. She asked him to keep watch . Then Something that happens after that The girl feel from the tree and Gareth caught her in mid air.

Now with the secret of him being able to fly now 11 years later trying to keep everyone at arm length so they don't' learn his secret. He meets a girl Jessamine. but he too wants to push her away.

Will Gareth be able to stay alive
Eal
Apr 08, 2014 Eal rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was given a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed Armored Hearts, the character progression from young adult to adult was very believable and well done. there is a bit of The Secret Garden quality to the story, in a good way. The surprising turn of events in His identity - don't want to get into spoilers here- was interesting but I wish the backstory had been a bit more fleshed out by the characters in the know. I want to be a member of the bonnet club and would l
Elaine
This was a surprisingly good book, it centers on Gareth a cripple who is a lord and who saves a youg girl from falling out a tree when they were chrildren only to end up meeting her when both are adults.
Gareth can't walk but discovers he can fly so thats basically it.
My main problem with this book is that it was pegged as a steampunk/fantasy/romance and I'm sorry to stay it was lacking big time in the steampunk department which let it down a little for me, but apart from that I did really enjoy
K.C. Finn
Mar 06, 2014 K.C. Finn rated it really liked it
This book was very well written and provided a fast, enjoyable read in a fascinating new world. As a fan of both steampunk and traditional fantasy I found it intriguing to see this combination of the two, particularly using the Scottish connections to the Fae folk mythology.
The characters hugely reminded me of the ensemble in Kady Cross's Steampunk Chronicles (another series that I love) - Gareth is another rendition of the Griffin King moody hero type, though he is made much more interesting b
Ryan Snyder
Jul 01, 2014 Ryan Snyder rated it liked it
Shelves: hmaybe
3.5/5- So creative! :D

Armored Hearts follows the life of Gareth, who is confined to a wheelchair. He does not know a lot about his past and is a complete grouch. One day, he saves a girl when she falls from a tree and discovers he can fly. I am going to stop right there. I mean... the guy can fly. You would think that would mean he would be a little less of a grump, but no. O.O His attitude is less than savory for a great part of the novel and is basically the only thing that turned me off abou
Tara Chevrestt
Jul 04, 2013 Tara Chevrestt rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I like the basic premise: crippled man becomes superhero "The Flying Knight" in a historical period. The hero is very bitter on the outside, but on the inside he deeply cares for people. He grows on you. Even when he insults the heroine, he had me chuckling. The heroine...is sort of a villain in a way. I mean, she bribes this guy to marry her. Pretty nervy. She irritated me at first, but then she started making me smile too, namely when she says, "Consider this bed my web and you my fly. Prepare ...more
Amber
May 07, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
Armored Hearts by Melissa Turner Lee & Pauline Creeden is a brilliantly measured and perfectly blended mix of romance, sci-fi, and fantasy. I was swept away into a world across the ocean and dazzled by the amazing story that played out before my eyes. My hunger for an original storyline, imaginative twists and turns, and an edge-of-your-seat page turner was far exceeded in this beautiful masterpiece.

The characters that I discovered within the pages of Armored Hearts are fun and thought-provo
Jessica (Lovin' Los Libros)
I did not know in the beginning that this would be a series. I am so glad to know that now! After the rather abrupt ending I was quite disappointed- until I saw there would be more! Yay! I thought this was a promising first start to the series. We get a bit of everything in this book: mystery, fantasy, steampunk, budding romance... just to name a few.

I will be honest, I am curious to see where the steampunk aspect is going to go in the next book. As of right now, I feel the fantasy (fae) storyli
Danielle
Aug 03, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
I haven't run across a lot of steampunk that melds science with fantasy. Generally the focus is more one than the other, with the technology taking center stage beyond even the plot at times. This book is not such a one.

I was very impressed with the development of this story and the way the groundwork for key elements of the plot was set out neatly and unobtrusively, then left in the background until the appropriate time.

A distinctly character-driven story, Armored Hearts drew me in quickly and
Marcy
May 14, 2013 Marcy rated it it was amazing
'Armored Hearts' is the perfect book for me. I love fairies and steampunk. Pauline and Melissa merged these two concepts so awesomely that I just fell in love. Besides that, it has some mystery and action, and everything is set in a historical era, which was described very accurate for the time.

I think the characters are well developed and the storyline was seamless. The book ends giving room for a sequel, but does not leave anything unresolved or plot holes.

The only thing I didn't like is the f
Erin Maurer
Jul 29, 2013 Erin Maurer rated it it was amazing
Though I love a lot of books, it is not often that a book takes me by surprise. Armored Hearts is one of those oh, so rare books. You see, I have always been attracted to the idea of the steampunk movement. I love the look, the concept, but most of the steampunk books (yes, even the romances) I have tried to delve into have just not held my interest. Turner Lee and Creeden changed all of that with Armored Hearts.

From the moment I met Gareth, Tabitha and Jessamine, I was completely swept up. A c
Nina
Jul 25, 2013 Nina rated it it was amazing
I haven't read much in the steampunk genre, but I can say that Armored Hearts has captured my interest in it.

Tristan Gareth Smyth's mother's family is full of secrets, many of them unknown to him because of her passing years ago. After her death, he began living with his grandfather from his father's side of the family. Sadly for him, his grandfather doesn't know much about his mother's family.

Tristan(or Gareth as the book always calls him) has lived his whole life(basically) in a chair. He's ne
Y.I. Lee
Aug 13, 2013 Y.I. Lee rated it really liked it
When I bought Armored Hearts, I had no idea what steampunk was. And to be honest I'm still not sure. To me it's a fantasy, and very good too!
I won't go into a long breakdown of the story as that has already been done by others. Suffice to say this is a story based in Victorian times, about a young man, Lord Gareth.
He's stuck in a wheel chair and is pretty grumpy. However, when he saves a girl from falling out of a tree, that's when the fun begins. He realises he can fly...love it!
That's not all,
Madiha
Jun 28, 2013 Madiha rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, blog-tour
Originally posted on The Smell of Parchment.

Also head over to the blog to check out the tour-wide giveaway for your chance to win a Five Digital Copies of ARMORED HEARTS (Int) & One Autographed Copy with SWAG (US only)!

I certainly was pretty excited with the prospect of reading this book and was expecting an ordinary story set in Victorian England with a little steampunk involved. What I got was a fantastic adventure with fanatical elements and the fae. That's right, the FAE!

It should obvio
  • Winter Fae (Armored Hearts, #0.5)
  • Dark Salvation (Immortalis, #5)
  • The Gift (In Darkness We Must Abide, #4)
  • Flesh and Blood (Hayle Coven, #7)
  • First Bite (Darkwood Manor, #1)
  • Heart of the Kraken (Tales from Darjee, #1)
  • True Love's First Kiss (Queen of the Realm of Faerie 1-3)
  • Cursed (Voodoo Nights #1)
  • Betrayals of Spring (Forever Fae, #2)
  • Desolace (Desolace, #1)
  • Charmed Vengeance (The Aether Chronicles, #2)
  • Casted (Casted series)
  • The Lady Astronomer
  • Agartha's Castaway - Book 1 (Trapped in the Hollow Earth, #1)
  • Paranormal Days Gone Awry
Pauline Creeden is an award-winning author, horse trainer, and overall book ninja. She becomes the main character in each of her stories, and because she has ADD, she will get bored if she pretends to be one person for too long.

Armored Hearts, her joint effort with author Melissa Turner Lee, has been a #1 Bestseller in Christian Fantasy and been awarded the Crowned Heart for Excellence by InDtale
More about Pauline Creeden...

“You put up this steel armor around yourself in the form of hostility and disinterest—whichever works to shield you best at the moment, but that’s not who you are.” 5 likes
“You are a man with secrets...and I plan to know them all.” 2 likes