Start by marking “The Orchard” as Want to Read:
The Orchard

The Orchard (The Orchard #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  62 reviews
On the idyllic shores of Flathead Lake, Montana, Alisen Embry finds purpose and comfort tending her late mother’s cherry orchard adjacent to the family’s beloved lake house. Though pained by the loss of her mother and her father’s estrangement, it is Derick Whitney—the man she fell in love with four years earlier—who truly influences Alisen’s view of her future . . .

Deric
Published April 1st 2013 by Covenant Communications, Inc.

Katie Watkins
First of all, isn't this cover absolutely adorable??? It fits the book so well. I love the way the author weaves the story together. The setting was painted in my mind and the characters were vivid. Alisen truly finds solace (and love) in the orchard and when her father demands a choice, she feels she has to listen to duty. Alisen is so tough and committed, even without familial support. And Derick--what a guy!! My heart cracked a little bit when things took that turn.

I hated Alisen's father!! I
Darla
(Genre:LDS Fiction/romance) 3.5 stars. I have read several current day retellings of Jane Austen's "Persuasion" (which is one of my favorite Austen stories), and in my opinion, this is probably one of the best. It isn't perfect, but it was quite enjoyable for the most part. Alisen Embry is a 23 year old young lady who loves her family's lakeside home and orchard. When her mother died 9-10 years earlier, the orchard is where Alisen found peace and acceptance. By working among the trees that her m ...more
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
Hey-not bad! I really was expecting something different but this story actually had some depth and some really likeable characters! I liked that not everything was a bowl of cherries in her orchard! (tee hee...her cherry orchard!) After her mom's death, Alisen Embry throws herself into maintaining her families cherry orchard. She meets a cute boy but must choose him or her family. Years later destiny steps into play and throws the story into chaos! I was entertained! The romance was cute! My one ...more
Lucinda
I read Of Grace and Chocolate last year, and liked it immensely. I was sure I would like The Orchard just as much. I actually love it more, I think it's my favorite from this author. I can't wait to read the other two novels in this series.

The plot is loosely based on Jane Austen's Persuasion. I say loosely because the story holds its own, and so do the characters. I loved Alisen and Derick- they are real and honest, they make mistakes and regret them, and I cared about their future. I wondered
Rosalyn
had high hopes for this book, which was based on Jane Austen's Persuasion. (And as anyone who knows me will attest, I'm a sucker for Austen adaptations).

This book was sweet, rather than deeply stirring. In some ways, Jensen's previous book had more depth. Here, of course, she's somewhat limited by the Austen book she chose. And of all Austen's books, Persuasion is her most mature, and her most subtle. A difficult one to adapt. (Probably also my most favorite).

After the death of her mother, Alise
Julie
I love Jane Austen's works Persuasion's is among my favorites, so i was interested on how this would work. I loved the begining. The meeting in the orchard. The breakup very belivable. But come on a rich vain City guy on a farm and working as cowboy?. ( Us farm girls call them Cowboy Wantabes). Usually the cowboy is the rich guy and still on the farm but not a sports car but a truck and the girl would not know that the guy is rich. Why didn't BEN tell Alisin that the the "Roving eyed rich city c ...more
Jenny Proctor
So here's the deal... one of the challenges of writing romance is that enough has to happen to keep your characters apart for a "book length" length of time. This often means that your characters end up making ridiculous assumptions for long periods of time that blind them to what's really the truth. It's so hard to strike that balance between keeping your characters apart, but doing so in a way that doesn't feel contrived.

I said ALL of that because I think Krista Lynne Jensen does a great job
Gail
I read this after the other book in this series about the oldest sister, Elizabeth. I think it would have been nice to read them in order, but it didn't matter a lot. This story is about Alisen, the second oldest girl in the family. She resembles her mother and so her father was unable to interact with her after her mother's death. He also interferes with her love for a young man who she wants to marry. Years go by and she meets up with this young man again, whom she never could get over. She go ...more
Cheri
This was a quick read, I enjoyed it.
Kathryn
What a wonderful conversion story amid heartache, loss, love, friendship and coming home.

Alison was destroyed by her mother's death when 14. She didn't have a good relationship or understanding of her father before and her similar appearance to her mother, helped her father to distance himself from her all together. He comforted her older sister, elizabeth and younger sister Amanda in their life choices. Alison asked for one thing. The orchard her mother loved. She had help till she was older a
Shanda
I might as well start out by saying that Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel. It’s not perfect (especially not the movies — that’s for another post), but…that letter. I mean, wow. It sets my heart aflutter, though not as much as The Orchard did. My, oh my.

Honestly, I had forgotten that The Orchard was based on the basic story of Persuasion but recognized it soon after I started reading. That made me doubly excited. Not only was I finally getting to read the long-awaited book that had bee
Kathy
3.5

I enjoyed this one. I’m a sucker for Persuasion retellings and thought this was a good one. It was a bit more religious than I thought, not a favorite plot device for me. I liked Alisen and Derick, thought they had a cute relationship. It was sad when they are separated, with Alisen clearly being manipulated by her family. I liked that it stuck with the original Persuasion, but had enough differences to make it unique and held some surprises.

I did want a bit more closure on some things at th
Rachel
2.5

I love Jane Austen's book Persuasion. This was an LDS retelling of it that felt juvenile in comparison. As a teenager it might have been fun, but since I love the original version I felt like I was reading a dumbed downed version of it. In the original there are so many social rules that keep them from just having a private conversation about the past...in the modern version this wouldn't have been an issue. They would have said "hey let's go for a walk and have a chat".

Shauna
A tender story of the heart, emotions, and the sometimes struggle of loving your family. SO GOOD!

Alisen has been taking care of her mother's cherry orchard since her mother's passing.

Her father has a hard time facing Alisen as she reminds him so much of his late wife.

When Derick comes to the orchard after her graduation life seems to be happier.

BUT...

"intolerance and secrets" keep Alisen from following her dream of a life with Derick.

NOW...

Four years later Derick has come into her life again...

"
Diana
I loved this book! It was loosely based on Jane Austen's Persuasion, so I loved the storyline. The characters were so real and the emotion behind each word was so beautiful. The story just came to life for me. I didn't want to put this book down. I just had to see how it all came together.
Marianne
I guess I should explain my 2 stars. I was confused many times while reading this book. I wasn't always sure who was speaking and if we were in the present or in the past. I liked the story, but I was frustrated at times not knowing who a character was. I had to look back to find out if we had already met the person or not. It just wasn't an easy read.
Leah
I read the whole thing. But it would be really good for a jr high or young high school student. Kindof Jack Weylandy with an older girl. I wasn't expecting the LDS stuff, which put me off. And, Persuasion being my favorite Jane Austen book, it was hard not to compare. So, 2.5.
Tiffany
I didn't realize until the 2nd page that it's a modern re-telling of Persuasion, which has always been a favorite Jane Austen of mine. Modern re-tellings can easily bother me, especially in movies, but this was really great.
SLK
Loved this book. Very real adaptation for a present day setting. I loved how the author adapted the Persuasion story line to a present day setting. It was wonderful to read, very cute story. Well worth a read.
Robyn
Again you may not appreciate or agree with the 4 star rating but I enjoyed this story a lot. It took me 3/4 the book to figure out it was a retelling of Persuasion by Jane Austen. I think it shows how talented an author is to retell in such a way you it is not obvious. The main character has to help her extremely wealthy family downsize and live within their means after they loose money. The family that buys the old home are the parents of a man she once dated. It didn't end well and she regrets ...more
Malinda
I liked this book Then when it dawned on me that it was a modern day adaptation of Jane Austin's Persuasion I loved this book.
Ranee Clark
Audience: Adult (Clean)
Genre: LDS Romance
Length: 245 pgs
Rating: *****
Review: All. The. Feels. This book was inspired by the Jane Austen book Persuasion, which, along with Northanger Abbey, is my favorite of Austen's. So I pretty much knew I'd love it. But it also made Alisen's so-so-sweet romance with Derick so difficult because I knew what would happen. I despised her dad and aunt for a while there--all-out hated them. Krista just did a fantastic job of involving me with the characters so much
Stephanie
This was a sweet love story with a beautiful setting (I really wanted to be at that lake house and in that orchard) and interesting characters. It is basically a modern retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion, but it had some different aspects that it brought to the story which I really liked.
Sara
Jamie
Predictable, but cute!
Kaylee
A modern retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion with an LDS twist.
Lydia Winters
This book was a sweet romance that I really enjoyed. Alisen and Derick's love was heartbreaking, and I couldn't wait for them to just get together already. I did feel like the book had too big a cast of characters, and I struggled keeping all the secondary characters straight. I also liked how this book was a conversion story, but it wasn't heavy-handed like a lot of conversion stories are. I liked that aspect of the plot because I didn't feel like it was being thrown in my face over and over ag ...more
Cathilee
Cute Persuasion story. Fun read.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Loved it! Review to come.
Brenda
I loved so many things about this story. The main characters were so easy to fall in love with. They were good, honest people who had so many things not go their way. The side characters were each so well developed that I wanted to know how their lives turned out too. Although we get our much needed HEA, I was left feeling sad that they had wasted so much time over misunderstandings and lack of communication. (or bravery in my mind)
  • Second Chances
  • Montana Summer
  • My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life
  • My Lucky Stars
  • A Way Back To You
  • Victoria's Promise (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • To Have or to Hold
  • Deep Cover
  • Sadie (Sadie, #1)
  • The Broken Road (Alpine, #3)
  • Divinely Designed
Nearly every one of Krista Lynne Jensen’s elementary school teachers noted on her report card that she was a “day-dreamer”. It was not a compliment. So, when Krista grew up, she put those daydreams down on paper for others to enjoy. When she’s not writing she enjoys reading, hiking, her family, and sunshine. But not laundry. She never day-dreams about laundry.
Krista writes LDS romance, and fantasy
More about Krista Lynne Jensen...
Of Grace and Chocolate Falling for You A Timeless Romance Anthology: Love Letter Collection A Christmas to Remember: A Collection of Heartwarming True Christmas Stories Love Unexpected: With All My Heart