Start by marking “Camp Out!: The Ultimate Kids' Guide from the Backyard to the Backwoods” as Want to Read:
Camp Out!: The Ultimate Kids' Guide from the Backyard to the Backwoods

Camp Out!: The Ultimate Kids' Guide from the Backyard to the Backwoods

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Bear bags, wilderness showers, and telling the temperature by counting the cricket chirps...

Whether you're planning an over night in the backyard or a weekend in the wilderness, this book is packed with stuff to know. The basics, from gearing up to choosing a site to building a tarp tent. Tasty outdoor recipes: Solar Oven Pizza, Chow Down Chili and s'mores of course - with

Published July 1st 2007 by Workman Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Camp Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camp Out!

Jill
Aug 02, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is loaded with practical information, projects, games, skills, recipes, songs, experiments, crafts and more to help kids make the most of all kinds of outdoor ventures.

The first chapter lets you know what kind of gear to take with you, and then progresses to how to set up camp; recipes to make (including not only obvious treats like those all-important s’mores, but even home-made ice cream, with a great explanation of how and why it works); camping skills: tying knots, navig
April
Jun 22, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
THE COOLEST SUMMER KIDS BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!! I just picked this up yesterday and if you're scrambling for things to do with the kids over summer, this is perfect. From digging your own pit toilet to mastering the art of duct tape through tee-pee making, this book is for you. Love it love it love it!!
Megan
Aug 22, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
I would recommend this book for outdoorsy types with young kids. It's very complete--packed with knot-tying tutorials, camp recipes, and shelter-building info you would expect; also with a trip packing list, short lessons about science and nature, and camp-time activities for good weather and bad. I, as an outdoorsy, inquisitive adult, like many of the activities suggested in this book; elementary and middle school science teachers may find some usable lessons in here as well.

What I think keeps
Aleina
Feb 19, 2016 Aleina rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This is really neat. I've got lots of fun ideas for my younger cousins now and some that I would enjoy too (being a teen and all :D) I can't wait to try out some of the games, foods and activities this summer!
LINDA
Apr 17, 2008 LINDA added it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is so much fun, I read it in preparation for my family's 2nd annual campout with my cousins and their two little boys! Each year I try to come up with some fun outdoors activities to entertain the kids, and this book was very helpful!

Some of my favorite tips:

How to create a 'Spider' Dog by cutting into the ends of a hotdog prior to roasting it on a stick. (p. 70)

Kick the can Ice Cream (p. 90)

Grow your own Cloud in a plastic soda bottle. (p.151) If this works, i think the kids would be
Beth
May 04, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
Great tidbits of real info packed around Brian Biggs fun illustrations. My fourth grade camping enthusiast was so absorbed in this - couldn't put it down!
Pam Torres
Dec 03, 2012 Pam Torres rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"Mom, sometimes I just don't know what to do with him," said my son about his five-year-old. So Grandma was on a mission to find something I knew my son would enjoy and something he could share with his little boy. Eureka! This is perfect. My son loves to camp and every year goes on a long 3-day hike with his buddies in the backwoods. This is the perfect thing for them to share together, chockfull of activities and information that will keep them busy, inside or out. I can't wait to give it to ...more
Amy
Apr 03, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a fun camping "how to" guide for kids.
Hilary
Mar 16, 2014 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Lots of fun ideas
Caro
Jun 22, 2013 Caro rated it really liked it
Shelves: actual-factual
I really enjoyed reading this book. There's ton of info (including basics) and fun reading too. I liked the recipes, games, projects, astrology and weather, and everything else. There were quite a few things that I'm going to have to make note of (especially the games). I liked the stories that were written about some of the constellations. I would probably check this out again. (Got it at the library) Definitely something worth re-reading because there's too much for me to remember. Enjoy!
Lynnea Taylor
Feb 11, 2008 Lynnea Taylor rated it it was amazing
Admittedly I haven't read all of this book yet. I've been reading in bits and pieces as the fancy catches me. It is fabulous every time I read anything in it. It is chock full of fun things to do with your kids when camping. Great experiments and outdoor learning. I originally bought this for my son who is in the scouts, and husband who is a scout leader. But I can't stay away from it.
Staci McLaughlin
Jul 22, 2012 Staci McLaughlin rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun book! I haven't used it for an actual camping trip away from home yet, but I have used it for ideas when the kids and I camp in the back yard. It's got some great projects, like make your own compass and make your own birdfeeder, as well as several good recipes with instructions on what to prep at home. The kids love it whenever I pull this book out.
Emily
Feb 20, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
I bought this book, in hopes that my 2nd grade and I would read it together. It turned out not to be an exciting read for him even though I liked the book. It is a great book for planning a camping trip (or even a backyard trip) and has lots of activities I can't wait to try out in Oregon. My best guess is that the book is written for more like a 3rd or 4th grader.
Brooke Gilley
May 18, 2009 Brooke Gilley rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I am a naturalist at a nature center and use thing as a constant reference. I am currently helping to coordinate the Great American Backyard Campout at our facility and this a must for planning the event. I gave this book to a friend who is a Girl Scout Leader and she loves it as well. Can't say enough here, it is that awesome.
Anna
May 07, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2013
This is a great resource for kids...Food, knots, survival skills, star gazing, etc. This book has a bit of everything to help kids get excited about outdoor recreation disguised as learning.
Julie
Apr 15, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
Includes instructions on how to dig your own toilet pit.
Step 1: Pick your spot.
Step 2: Spot should be atleast 200 steps from water.
Step 3: Make sure spot is downwind from campsite.
Karan Johnstone
Jul 08, 2011 Karan Johnstone rated it liked it
Shelves: boy-scouts
Bought this book while I was a den leader. It has some good ideas in it if you have never been camping before.
Jessica
Oct 27, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Such a fun book with fun experiments and things to do! Will have to check out at the library again.
Lee
Feb 21, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it
Good book. I love to study about biology and nature. This is a great book for learning about camping skills.
Christine
Sep 30, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it
Great book for young campers - recipes, animal tracks, crafts, activities... My kids loved it!
Megan
Dec 01, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
Great camping resource book.
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Callie
Callie is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
Jacquelyn
Jacquelyn rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Dmitriy
Dmitriy marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Karina
Karina rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016